As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Pokemon League: East [Now Over :(]

• RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I didn't get to battle Rdr, either!

Gah, I know! I was too busy Saturday night when you were ready. Sorry :( It was really awesome seeing you though and waving hi to you like 10 times haha.

In a couple months I am going to get either the 3DS or a DSi and be able to get on the wifis and we can battle and I'll mail you a badge!

Speaking of badges...I gave out over 50 to challengers.

Rdr on
  • DarxioDarxio Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Fantastic event, I'd definitally participate again! Lots of fun and some great conversations were had!

I'll definitally 'hail' on over at the next PAX East! Doubt I can go to prime, but definitally East.

P.S.: I don't think I've taken off the yellow hat since I won it yet. I even slept with it on.

Darxio on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think next year I'm just gonna bring a case of Oreos.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I'm back in my home and native land. Even though I thought I would require a few days of hibernation to get myself back together it only took 3 hours of good sleep in my igloo (and a few cups of coffee). Like Heleor I'm going to need a few days to digest PAX and I look forward to posting my thoughts for everyone to read. With that said though, there are a few things I need to get out of the way first:

1) Holy crap that was awesome. That didn't really need to be said, but holy crap that was the shit. Absolutely blown away by how amazing this all was. I never would have thought in a million years the game I would spend my recess obsessing over as a wee lad would lead to me meeting so many fantastic people. You're all my friends and great people, don't let anyone say otherwise.

2) GAH! BAH! I felt like such a hoser having to leave you guys on Sunday; I totally dropped the ball there. I know I inspired a lot of you to either face me or rematch me to prove that you were the best there ever was and I wasn't able to hold up my end of the bargain. If I was staying until Monday I would have stayed and either fought or rematched every single last one of you. I'm going to need to figure out my internets, but I will do my best to get my DS online so I can semi make it up to you all. I hope everyone got my badge though--you all deserved it.

3) I want details and what went down with the Champions showcase. I was there for the first victory but that's it. Details, details, details!

4) Haha, wow. I really should have read the forums the few days leading up to PAX. For shame, I'm just a terrible, terrible person! Didn't realize I was in the company of other people also reading Wise Man's Fear. I've got a total man crush on Kvothe~

5) Really glad no one called me out for half-assing my cosplay.

I hope to post more soon along with all the pictures and video I took of the league, but I need to now fly off and do Canadian stuff..... like play hockey and wrestle Eskimos.

PS: Here's the picture of why I did everything for the league. The smiles, hugs, high fives and positive reactions from you all was my game of the show for PAX.

Gameshark on
  • Kiss Me GoodByeKiss Me GoodBye Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    lol at me finding ya'll like 50 times and never getting a chance to battle you - way too much going on and bumping into new people lol

Kiss Me GoodBye on
    SQUID
    PAX EAST 2011 * 2012 * 2013 *2014 *2015 *2016 | PAX PRIME 2013| PAX UNPLUGGED 2017
  • DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I ended up with two badges after fighting three gym leaders. Seems like the word got out a little too much about this.

DanUNG on
  • TrionTrion Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You guys are made of awesome. I relly enjoyed seeing you in costume and taking on challangers while I was running around doing and doing my own PAX crazy. I'm sorry I didn't get a chance to take you on myself as I had planned, but there's always next time. :)

Trion on
  • PoeticMadnesssPoeticMadnesss Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    DanUNG wrote: »
    Yeah, I ended up with two badges after fighting three gym leaders. Seems like the word got out a little too much about this.

Isn't that a good thing though? :D

Perhaps next year there'll be more gym leaders ;) I mean, there are what? 40 different badges so far spread out through all the games?

Maybe if there are enough applicants (or...something) there could be two or three different Elite Fours, each having eight different badges required to get into them, and you only had to get through one league in order to be able to take a swing at the champion. xD Idk. Just spitballing ideas which could expediate the process and give people more options.

PoeticMadnesss on
    **Pokemon**
    Black: 0647 5155 3272
    Pkmn Breeder
    Certified Gold Card Carrier - (E4, Entralink, Musical, Pokedex Complete)
  • spiderz13spiderz13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Im still in my hotel room getting ready to leave westin in a little bit and I am so happy and so tired.

If your wondering who I am I was the one giving out free little pokemon. This was tons of fun to see matches go down and make some new friends. I really look forward till next year!

WHOOOO!!!!!

spiderz13 on
  • spiderz13spiderz13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    o i forgot to mention, how awesome was it that we had the celebrity walk through our area at the westin. We had Mike, Jerry and their wives, Scott and Kris, Erika and her fiance, Kiko, and Khoo walk by. I was star struck but I was able to give jerry a Goldeen.

spiderz13 on
  • FoggyKnightFoggyKnight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Trion wrote: »
    I went over to take a picture of the handsome members of the Pokemon League. I prefaced this by saying "Hello. Just when you least expect it, I am Cameron the Photographer!" About half the guys gave me blank stares. I am so disapointed.

:wink:

I think I saw you once. I sort of looked up when you said it, but I'm not sure if I blank stared at you. I was zoned and wasn't expecting it :D

Spiderz, thanks for the pokemon! I gave them to my sister for loaning me her pokeballs.

And thanks to the Gym Leaders for the battles and hard work! All of my badges made it safely home without getting lost again. :) I'm going to try and figure out how to download the pictures from the camera and post them somewhere.

FoggyKnight on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Also, if you have any official feedback that you'd like us to respond to personally, please hop on over to the official forum.

[Still digesting, and already well into planning Prime!]

Heleor on
    edited March 2011
    I went over to take a picture of the handsome members of the Pokemon League. I prefaced this by saying "Hello. Just when you least expect it, I am Cameron the Photographer!" About half the guys gave me blank stares. I am so disapointed.

I think I saw you once. I sort of looked up when you said it, but I'm not sure if I blank stared at you. I was zoned and wasn't expecting it :D

That's entirely possible (sorry, who were you again?). I honestly don't mind a few blank stares and I had a blast surprising people with my routine. Unfortunately I didn't wind up with as many good pictures as I would have liked, but I'll put up those few I have sometime this week.

Trion on
    edited March 2011

You definitely saw him :P both of you were talking to me at the same time at one point, somewhere around 1:45pm.

PoeticMadnesss on
    **Pokemon**
    Pkmn Breeder
    edited March 2011

You definitely saw him :P both of you were talking to me at the same time at one point, somewhere around 1:45pm.

Then I know exactly when this was! I'm pretty sure I only got RainbowTunnel's picture (dressed as Misty) durring that event because I was:

1) Taking RT's picture because I recognised her and knew I didn't have her picture yet.

2) Participating in the PokeWalker meet.

and

3) Preparing for my Dragon Quest 9 meet.

I should have gotten both of your pictures and I'm sorry I didn't. At least I should have gotten a shot of PoeticMadness' hat. Then I could have made myself an outfit consisting of PM's cool hat and Heleor's rad shades.

Trion on
  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rdr wrote: »

Gah, I know! I was too busy Saturday night when you were ready. Sorry :( It was really awesome seeing you though and waving hi to you like 10 times haha.

In a couple months I am going to get either the 3DS or a DSi and be able to get on the wifis and we can battle and I'll mail you a badge!

Every time I went into the handheld lounge I looked for you at the booth to wave to hahahaha. Overkill? Maybe. Awesome? Definitely. We can battle over wifi, but keep a badge from this year hostage so you can give it to me next year!

RainbowTunnel on
  • DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Two favorite moments:

1) Coming back against Propriety and winning thanks to my Hypno

2) Walking out of the HL with Rainbow Tunnel half-dressed as Witch and hearing "Are you witch or Misty?!" "I'm RainbowTunnel!" "...who?"

DanUNG on
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm devastated I missed East, but I'm glad it sounds most everyone had a good time, so that's very good to hear. :)

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
    edited March 2011
    DanUNG wrote: »
    Two favorite moments:

1) Coming back against Propriety and winning thanks to my Hypno

2) Walking out of the HL with Rainbow Tunnel half-dressed as Witch and hearing "Are you witch or Misty?!" "I'm RainbowTunnel!" "...who?"

Hahaha. I wish I was there to hear that.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sadly the Pokemon league was the one thing I ran out of time for. I had my team ready and then when it came time to find a trainer to battle I either gave up looking or was too tired on Sunday to try. My own fault, I hope you do it again next year because I was really hoping to bring a badge or two home.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thanks to Heleor and all the other leaders for putting this together! Even though I personally only got one badge it was great to meet everyone and see so many people enjoying themselves.

PeasantDave on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Every time I went into the handheld lounge I looked for you at the booth to wave to hahahaha. Overkill? Maybe. Awesome? Definitely. We can battle over wifi, but keep a badge from this year hostage so you can give it to me next year!

haha not overkill. I recall waving to you and saying hi on the escalator and somewhere else. It was definitetly awesome! Looking forward to seeing you next year. :)

Rdr on
    edited March 2011
    what was the password to the ppl challenger chat?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited March 2011
    redfield85 wrote: »

If my memory serves me (which it usually doesn't), I think it's "mudkipz"

RainbowTunnel on
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I did not participate, but I was one of Propriety's roommates, and seriously, meeting you all was one of the highlights of Sunday. You all may be responsible for making me buy Pokemon for my DS. So if I lose my job due to productivity issues, I blame you all. :P

feitocomfruta on
    edited March 2011
    redfield85 wrote: »

If my memory serves me (which it usually doesn't), I think it's "mudkipz"

That it is :D

PoeticMadnesss on
    **Pokemon**
    Pkmn Breeder
  • CoxyCoxy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hello Pokémon friends! Thanks for the trades, conversations, unexpected Digimon dorkery (This this this THIS!), and other manner of fun times at the Handheld lounge this weekend! I didn't make any gym leader challenges myself, but maybe next time... (heck, maybe next PAX East I'll try to apply as a Gym Leader myself...)

I hope everyone's enjoying their new blind dragon friends! I know I saw some interested traders who I never managed to meet up with again. If you're one of them and you are reading this, perhaps we can exchange friend codes and trade over WiFi sometime?

I live in MA and don't really travel for PAX Prime, so I'll see everyone next year. :)

-- Izzy, who gave away Deinos for all manner of silly Pokémon Saturday and Sunday.

Coxy on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011

Speaking of badges... I'm happy I walked away with a very elusive shuckle badge >.> ... <.< .... ^.^

zerzhul on
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Whew. I am home and unpacked and I am still reeling from all of the memories that keep hitting me. I can't believe it's over. I think part of me is going to be replaying this weekend over and over in my head forever.

Thank you to every one of the challengers who challenged me for hunting me down, being gracious and waiting when I had a line or walking with me when I had some place to be. You made this entire experience a great one, and I'm proud that most of you are wearing my badge.

Thanks to all my fellow gym leaders who are the best bunch of people I could have hoped to have the honor of meeting.

I think at next PAX East I'm going to try to devote even MORE time to the PPL, so that more people can get the chance to battle with me. It's going to be great! I hope to see all of you again at PAX East!

DanUNG! You were the Hypno guy! That was an epic comeback.

Wish I had run into Cameron the Photographer. I would have loved to have my picture taken with my pokemon. :D Do it again next year, Trion, that's an awesome idea!

spiderz, thanks for the Ninetales figurine! How did you know I had one on my team? ;D

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
    edited March 2011
    Propriety wrote: »

Wish I had run into Cameron the Photographer. I would have loved to have my picture taken with my pokemon. :D Do it again next year, Trion, that's an awesome idea!

Actually, Propriety, I did get your picture! You were in the Doctor Who scarf, right? But I ran into you while you were mid battle and I didn't have time to hang around so I didn't get to do the speech. I'll post the pictures soon.

And I would totally be willing to make a fool of myself again next year. I have no pride. :D

Trion on
  • BCBarneyBCBarney Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I haven't been active on this thread but I wanted to say Thank You! to all the of the gym leaders. I didn't really challenge anyone this year due to the huge lines at the meet ups and couldn't find anyone just walking around. However, I brought my son on Sunday and everyone he went up to was incredibly nice to him.

A huge thank you to Propriety for staying back and battling my son instead of hanging out with his friends. I felt bad but appreciated it.. Just to let you know my son had actually spotted you when you bought your food but I wouldn't let him interrupt you. He then proceeded to follow you until we finally caught up to you.

Also, a thank you to Hiker Bill who was doing other stuff but stopped to battle my son.

Again a thank you to all of the gym leaders. My son has already begun to prep his team in White for next year!

BCBarney on
    edited March 2011
    Propriety wrote: »

Actually, Propriety, I did get your picture! You were in the Doctor Who scarf, right? But I ran into you while you were mid battle and I didn't have time to hang around so I didn't get to do the speech. I'll post the pictures soon.

And I would totally be willing to make a fool of myself again next year. I have no pride. :D

Cameron the Photographer = win! I was so excited to see you hahahaha. He's kinda annoying in the game, but to have one in real life.... it was cool, to say the least.

Like Propriety, I'm totally distracted by the whole weekend. Most of my best memories are with the PPL. Getting knighted as honorary gym leader, the gym leader brunch, getting my first pin from Propriety (even though it wasn't a badge yet), getting lost with Gameshark.... I definitely want to hang out with you guys more next year. (:

RainbowTunnel on
  • banaabanaa Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    I had so much fun with the PPL! Even though I didn't challenge anyone, I cheered on one of my friends through every battle. I can't wait until next year when I'll be challenging you guys myself =D
    -Joanna (the girl in the pikachu pajamas)

banaa on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I forgot to add that although I didn't get to battle like I hoped I did do a brief stop at the post pax meeting and all the trainers looked awesome. The scarves looked good too. You all did a great job.

Now for a quick beg - would anyone have a left over badge that would be willing to mail me? I'll paypal postage if needed but my son really wanted to see one of the badges - PM me if you can. I'm hoping with PAX on Easter next year to have him in tow the last day so he can live out his dreams of being the very best!

Lindsay Lohan on
  • BCBarneyBCBarney Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    banaa wrote: »
    I had so much fun with the PPL! Even though I didn't challenge anyone, I cheered on one of my friends through every battle. I can't wait until next year when I'll be challenging you guys myself =D
    -Joanna (the girl in the pikachu pajamas)

I have a picture of you with my son from Sunday!

BCBarney on
  • banaabanaa Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    BCBarney wrote: »
    I have a picture of you with my son from Sunday!
    haha I remember him! He was going to fight the dark gym leader right? He was adorable with his little shellos plush =D

banaa on
  • RevGutterRevGutter Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    there was just so much awesome going on i only had a chance to challenge 2 leaders. i want to say thanks to dyaballikl, who i abused coming down an escalator the first morning. was a close battle and the win made me confidant that i was going to take the league by storm. also thanks to heleor for politely curb stomping me back to reality.
    i wasnt really into pokemon before and only picked up the game because of the league. im hooked now. i have a ton i need to learn, but with more training and possibly a few musical montages i'll be ready to take you all down next year!

RevGutter on
  • TheAsianKnightTheAsianKnight Shinywoopwoop Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    this year was fun, I liked how I got the dark gym badge via rock paper scissors cuz he was leaving, then he just tossed a handful at us XD (sundays are so much fun)

I definitely think next year perhaps there could be more gym leaders so people have more people they can go to and even more of a variety of typed gyms.

PArt of me wants to try to be a leader next year if that's possible, and if not then I'll just train harder to be the very best

TheAsianKnight on
    Pax East Check List: Room [X] Registration [X] Pax Pass [X] Pokemon league Gym Leader Team [X]
    Cosplay Check List: WOOPER [X]
    WOOP WOOP!
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Heleor on
  • GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have to concur with you guys, a lot of the stuff that really stuck out in my mind about PAX was the PPL...
    Like Propriety, I'm totally distracted by the whole weekend. Most of my best memories are with the PPL. Getting knighted as honorary gym leader, the gym leader brunch, getting my first pin from Propriety (even though it wasn't a badge yet), getting lost with Gameshark.... I definitely want to hang out with you guys more next year. (:

It's also a really good thing that we asked for directions when we did... I was fully convinced that if we walked long enough we would eventually find the Westin. Lesson learned, don't follow a Canadian EVER in Boston.

I'm really bummed I didn't get the names of those of you who I fought, but the two moments which particularly stood out for me were:
    When I froze Luiga with my Porygon 2. All my sympathy goes out to you man, that was unreal but only proves how awesome Porygon 2 is.
    When Infernape flareblitzed my Dusknoir and it did like 20 damage. Both of us were like, "WTF!?" and then the game goes "And the rain continues to pour." Not a big fan of Kyogre but boy did it ever save my butt there.

My derp moment of the weekend goes to me for trying to Will-O-Wisp Heleor's Infernape. I didn't feel like the brightest bulb in the box after that.

I also have (for those of you who asked or were interested) posted my team in the PPL forums.

Gameshark on