As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D awarded "best box art" so far

• UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Seol wrote: »
    Hrmm. Pilotwings is basically a highscore game, so I'd argue that time-to-completion isn't a great metric. That does seem quite slight, though.

Which once again raises the question, if it's a highscore focused game, why aren't there online scoreboards?

Because most people don't care about them and they get hacked to hell within a few weeks of launch?

And because it takes more effort to set up the network infrastructure and resources than it's worth, especially when the internet will fill that void on its own (with probably much more reliably accurate scores).

EDIT: Bioptic's got it. When I look at an online leader board I see a screen full of "xXguymanXx - 9999,9999,9,999" and "poopBUTTfarts - 99,8888,9,8,99999" and I just shrug.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Goodfella2487Goodfella2487 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Also, since I've never owned a DS before, what are the games I must have from its library?

Man this question is so deep, you have no idea.

Here's a starting point: http://slashsignal.wikispaces.com/Nintendo+DS

You've served me well, once I finish Tactics Ogre for PSP I think the 3DS will be my handheld of choice for a long, long time.

Goodfella2487 on
  • RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you don't care about online leaderboards, then you probably don't care for high score games in the first place.

Pilotwings sounds like a really good tech demo. It looks awesome and shows off the 3DS's 3D effect nicely, but it's short to complete and doesn't have the incentives to encourage high score competing. Would make for a nice pack-in, but at $40, it seems grossly overpriced.

RainbowDespair on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Seol wrote: »
    Hrmm. Pilotwings is basically a highscore game, so I'd argue that time-to-completion isn't a great metric. That does seem quite slight, though.

Which once again raises the question, if it's a highscore focused game, why aren't there online scoreboards?

What's disappointing, if that CVG review got it right, is that it doesn't even compare high scores across different profile on the same cart -- so if my wife were playing on my game, it wouldn't show her what my scores were, and vice versa.
    Bioptic wrote:
    Not to start another massive jaunt off topic, but I'm wondering what the percentage of the userbase that genuinely cares about online leaderboards is. To me, they're just an impossibly large number above an impossibly larger number - a toned-down Total Perpective Vortex.

I can understand, if not empathise with, the desire to challenge friends - and my understanding is that Xbox Live uses leaderboards as a non-confrontational way of doing this - but this would require a level of standardisation and time investment that Nintendo seems unwilling to provide.

About the best anonymous leaderboards I've seen were in Trackmania United. You could break them down from global to your own city, and every time you earned new medals, it would make a little plinking sound and tell you how many places you ascended. But the entire game was focused around that one concept, and I really don't Nintendo would treat it as more than a side-feature.

But the whole socially-gaming-with-friends thing is entirely in Nintendo's wheelhouse. Games like Geometry Wars 2, Pac-Man CE DX or, hell, even Shadow Complex defaults to making your leaderboards "friends only," meaning that it only shows you what your scores are compared to the people you want to be associated with. iPhone games with Game Center/OpenFeint/whatever integration also do the whole friends thing very nicely (and also can sort by location).

Nintendo has given quite a bit of rhetoric about how it's learned its lessons about online play, and Iwata even gave Live some props in his GDC keynote. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the first-party company taking advantage of its improved online interface to let friends communicate and share with each other.
    EDIT: Bioptic's got it. When I look at an online leader board I see a screen full of "xXguymanXx - 9999,9999,9,999" and "poopBUTTfarts - 99,8888,9,8,99999" and I just shrug.

Whenever this happens, I just hit one button, filter my high scores out so that it only shows people on my friends list, and then I like to go back to see where I can improve. You don't think that would be cool? Or that it would be vastly more organic and get more participation than having to post high scores here on PA?

RainbowDespair has yet to top my Geo Wars 2 Deadline score of 26m, ever since we started going back and forth around launch. :P

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
    edited March 2011
    Lunker wrote: »
    RainbowDespair has yet to top my Geo Wars 2 Deadline score of 26m, ever since we started going back and forth around launch. :P

LUUNKKKEEEER!

RainbowDespair on
  • DiamondDiamond Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I love leaderboards, but that may be in part because I know what it's like to be #1 in the world at a game, if only for a short while. Lots of 99 percentiles too.

Diamond on
    edited March 2011
    Worldwide scores don't do much for me - I'm just not that good and don't want to put in that kind of effort - but seeing how my friends are doing is always a nice, far more attainable goal. Truth be told, online integration is what got me into really drilling into score-attack games. Mirror's Edge was one of my fave games of '09 due a lot to this, but it is getting a little OT.

I think it's safe to say virtually all games from any system's launch period are either a little content-starved or benefit from port-up jobs. Something like Feel the Magic and Yoshi's Touch & Go were how I remember the DS launch looking; Yoshi was another high-score banger, but at least it had the decency of randomizing content IIRC. I think the rest of this year will have a shit-ton of 3DS content to be announced as well as released, which is why I'm okay with still getting the system even if none of the launch titles really stand out as must-haves. I would have done with SSFIV, but as I mentioned earlier, my rage and poor sportsmanship from fighters won't lend itself well to a handheld. :P

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • Cucco LeaderCucco Leader Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The only online scoreboard that interested me was Geometry Wars, but some levels took so long to ramp up the difficulty I was intentionally killing myself off after I got the gold medal. So, I ended up not bothering.

Cucco Leader on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What would be awesome would be exchanging high scores via StreetPass.

jothki on
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This may be a bigger discussion than just the 3DS but re: DLC. How come with all this stuff about the cloud lately we haven't seen some DLC move there? Seems like you could even get away with charging people if you offered some cloud space for DLC.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
    edited March 2011
    jothki wrote: »
    What would be awesome would be exchanging high scores via StreetPass.

That would be pretty cool. Kind of like your own localized arcade scene.

RainbowDespair on
  • SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Put me down as another for "doesn't really care about online leaderboards". I like to beat my own scores. That's enough.

Seol on
    edited March 2011
    How do you guys think the hype of this console compares to that of the original fatty DS? Seems like aside from the more hardcore crowd and tech geeks, not alot of people know what it is. Haven't seen any advertising yet, either.

Goodfella2487 on
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    From my vague recollections no one cared much about the original DS. It was a Nintendo handheld so I think it was expected to do good and that's about it.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Frankly, I never had a customer come into the Gamestop I work at and ask about the 3DS until Gamestop started advertising the hell out of it. Even now, I get more customers asking about the "Dee-Ess-Three" than the actual name.

I don't have cable, has there been any commercials?

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
    edited March 2011
    They don't really need to advertise it before it comes out. The hardcore will no doubt buy out the entire first shipment right off the bat. The heavy duty advertising should start at launch so that there's a good general demand for the system when the later shipments show up.

RainbowDespair on
    edited March 2011

No commercials yet, and its release is in 2 weeks. A bit puzzling, but then again, they didn't advertise much for Wii -- they mostly relied on word of mouth and that worked out pretty well.

Goodfella2487 on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    With the original DS I think it had the whole third pillar thing going on. A lot of people expected a virtual boy and then a rush back to the Game Boy line.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    They don't really need to advertise it before it comes out. The hardcore will no doubt buy out the entire first shipment right off the bat. The heavy duty advertising should start at launch so that there's a good general demand for the system when the later shipments show up.

That's a very good point, that makes sense.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    edited March 2011

That's a very good point, that makes sense.

And not only that, but the big selling point of the 3DS is the glasses-less 3D. You can't advertise that on TV effectively. However, after the system comes out, they can rely on word of mouth and demo kiosks to spread the word about the 3D effect and use commercials as supplementary advertising once people are convinced that the 3D actually works.

RainbowDespair on
    edited March 2011
    I don't know, the clip of Mario slapping that mustache on Miyamoto seems like TV gold to me.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
  • V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just to weigh in on the Leaderboard talk: I don't feel a game should receive a demerit for not having leaderboards or an online score system in the same way you might take off for not having multiplayer or co-op. My stance is that Leaderboards make the game you find fun even more fun because of that competition. But never have I found a game where I consider it to be "meh" as a whole in which leaderboards are suddenly offering me an incentive to really dig deep into the game on another level. Basically, they aren't a Make-it or Break-it for me.

But I will agree that including them is a smart decision simply because it's the way our culture operates now. Online scoring is like the arcade cabinets of old and their system of tracking highscores which promoted competition and comradery. One can't say they're irrelevant if they can trace their roots back that far.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • DiamondDiamond Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    How do you guys think the hype of this console compares to that of the original fatty DS? Seems like aside from the more hardcore crowd and tech geeks, not alot of people know what it is. Haven't seen any advertising yet, either.

I think my hype for the original DS was a bit more. It was the first handheld I would own that could throw around polygons in any serious way. I remember thinking how cool it was gonna be to be able to play Mario64 wherever I wanted.

Overall, I think it's completely impossible to gauge the hype of a Nintendo console. From everything I saw, I thought Wii was going to be the biggest console failure in ages.

Diamond on
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you don't care about online leaderboards, then you probably don't care for high score games in the first place.

Pilotwings sounds like a really good tech demo. It looks awesome and shows off the 3DS's 3D effect nicely, but it's short to complete and doesn't have the incentives to encourage high score competing. Would make for a nice pack-in, but at $40, it seems grossly overpriced.

I don't have the monster skills of Joshofalltrades or anything, but games like Pacman DX:CE, SMB and Trials wouldn't be nearly as fun if it weren't for me climbing through the ranks and actually improving against other real people as I get better.

I'm not familiar with the other versions, but the SNES version of Pilotwings was a glorified tech demo.

CygnusZ on
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Maaan. My I wanted to strangle my Product Process Manager today. We had the 3DS demo station in the back, but he refused to set it up. Decided to wait until tomorrow because he didn't want to put it anywhere near the DS section because he's worried it'll kill sales over there.

But I'm like... dude? I don't think we sold any DSi's today, and I'm almost certain we could have landed some 3DS preorders if he had just put the damn kiosk out.

That, and I wanted to play with it. >.>

Oh well. Guess I'm going into work early tomorrow.

InkSplat on
    Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Played the 3DS at PAX. Had a very bad first impression of Kid Icarus since I (foolhardedly) jumped into hard mode from the start. Couldn't figure out how to dodge, so died very fast.

When I came back the next day, I played easy, which did a very good job of teaching the controls, and the on-foot sections weren't nearly as bad. I can definitely see some people getting vertigo in the flying sections though, and the joke about it being almost 25 years since they saw Medusa was hilarious.

Ocarina was Ocarina in 3D. What was curious was that the item screen was just an 8x8 grid, and you could rearrange items at will. It may just be a demo interface, but if not, I miss the menu which had a spot for every item.

Heleor on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm set on getting two launch games. Street Fighter for sure (since it seems to be the most solid of all the games) but the second is gonna depend on reviews. I was considering Pilotwings, but from the sounds of it I'm not going to like it.

Right now I'm considering either Steel Diver or Shadow Wars, depending on reviews. I was also considering Dead or Alive, but I feel two fighting games would be a bit much.

SirUltimos on
    edited March 2011
    I'm really excited for Kid Icarus -- I also really loved the control scheme for Metroid Prime: Hunters, so the controls here felt immensely natural for the little time I got to play it (I also tried out the easy demo). I think the sliding of the analog pad might mitigate a bit of the dreaded Metroid Claw, but it still definitely seemed like a game you'd want to set the 3DS down onto a table for.

Lunker on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The one thing that worries me about the 3DS controls is that, as a lefty, I played MP:Hunters (and similar claw-control games) with my left hand on the stylus and the face buttons as the d-pad; that's not doable when there's an analog stick on the left.

Also, I somehow thought OoT was a release title? I assumed I'd grab a 3DS + OoT at launch, but this launch lineup is pretty lukewarm. At least the DS had SM64DS, even if the controls were painfully bad. I got to play around with the included AR demos at GDC, and they were badass, but really just demos.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Alex Atkin UKAlex Atkin UK Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think the lack of leaderboards is a terrible shame as it does make or break some games for me.

For example, I am a fan of Pinball games and bought Pinball FX on Xbox 360 along with every table they have released for it. However once I have a hiscore that is tricky to beat on a table, I find that I tend to get bored.

However when Pinball FX 2 came out on Xbox 360, that all changed. Because now as you are playing the game it tells you how close you are to beating your friends hiscores, when you beat your weekly or all time best and when you are close to beating a friends score. When that message pops up the adrenalin kicks in and the game becomes so much more intense, despite crap score after crap score I just get more determined to work at it. Quite frankly, I have never found Pinball games as fun as that one PURELY because of the leaderboards and how its implemented. Its a game I will always come back to, as long as I have friends who also come back to it, constantly battling each others scores. Its just not the same to CLAIM you beat someones score, especially if you only know that friend online rather than in person.

Prior to that my favourite competitive games were Deluxe Galaga on the Amiga and NiGHTS into Dreams on the Sega Saturn. But those were back in the days when I was a teenager so getting friends together to play on the same console was easier. Deluxe Galaga even got remade on PC as Warblade and its a brilliant game, but I do not play it - because it doesn't have friends leaderboards.

Online leaderboards completely changed gaming for me, it allows me and my friends to compete without needing to do it in the same place at the same time. For that reason I think they are vital, even for people who do not have their console permanently connected to the Internet. As the beauty with the 3DS is that it can sync your hiscores over SpotPass if you happen to roam in range of a supported WiFi network, which in the UK is going to be almost everywhere as most people with BT Broadband act as SpotPass access points.

So if Nintendo are not doing this, why on earth not? The 3DS is unique in that its a common platform that is designed to synchronise online without the user needing to know its doing so. Its perfectly suited to have a flexible leaderboard system.

One of the big reasons I rarely go on my Wii is the lack of online functionality. Its just more compelling on Xbox 360 to be able to compare achievements (so I can compare game progress against my friends) and/or leaderboards (so I can compare scoring against my friends). It changes it from "sat in a room on my own wasting time" to "competing against friends", a lot more fun. I have read plenty of people who say they own the Wii but it gets no use outside of parties and I believe this is exactly the reason why, its lacking the features to allow competitive gaming without the people needing to all be playing at the same time. Its why Rock Band is so popular on ALL systems, because the game is designed around competitive scoring from the start.

I applause Nintendo for trying to promote more sociable gaming in person, but the fact is the majority of adults simply do not have the free time, at least not that coincides with their friends free time. So competitive gaming needs achievements and leaderboards to work for those people.

Alex Atkin UK on
    3DS Code: 1118 0213 2138 Pokemon Black: 3997 6322 9891
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i don't understand why individual games can't have online leaderboards. its entirely up to the developer

Guek on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

No commercials yet, and its release is in 2 weeks. A bit puzzling, but then again, they didn't advertise much for Wii -- they mostly relied on word of mouth and that worked out pretty well.

http://kotaku.com/#!5781982/nintendos-first-american-3ds-commercialkinda-works

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Guek wrote: »
    i don't understand why individual games can't have online leaderboards. its entirely up to the developer

I think they can, and we're just all disappointed that Nintendo didn't bother to make one.

Went to Bic Camera today to look at capture cards and ended up toying with the 3DS display. This time I played a bit of SSF4. No, the indented nub is not a decent replacement for a real joystick, and pressing buttons on the touchscreen for super attacks destroys the balance of the game. I thought dynamic mode showed off the 3D but was shitty for actually playing the game and the framerate seemed to be chugging to me. The characters all have their DLC from the 360/PS3 version which is a nice bonus.

I fiddled around with positioning the upper screen to see how big the sweet spot is for the 3D. If you move it even a little bit to the left or the right the image immediately becomes distorted. However, as long as you move it in front of your eyes, the screen can actually be pretty far from your face and the effect will be maintained. You could probably place it on your lap without any problem.

There were units for sale, but I'll probably continue to hold out until there's some actual software I want. The 3D effect is so sexy though <3

CygnusZ on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dritz wrote: »
    This may be a bigger discussion than just the 3DS but re: DLC. How come with all this stuff about the cloud lately we haven't seen some DLC move there? Seems like you could even get away with charging people if you offered some cloud space for DLC.

I don't know if this counts, but they've said that one main incentive to buy DOA early is because there's going to be daily free DLC that is only offered on that day. I don't know much else about it, the type of DLC or whether they'll offer any of it again later, it's just what I read.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's my dream to get a WarioWare game with online leaderboards. High score chasing is much less fun on your own.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Really, I think they should hold off on releasing the DS until the cool games comes come out. I would much rather get it with Icarus and OoT.

Krathoon on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You don't have to get it at launch. You can wait until those games are out. Personally, I'm getting Super Street Fighter IV. Mainly because there's still no sign of it coming out for PC.

Peewi on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So i'm wondering if this will get delayed substantially since Japan, you know, has more important things to worry about.

Godfather on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nintendo have already put out a statement:
    “Business operations, including future product shipments, have not been affected [..] Our thoughts and best wishes are with everyone who has friends and family members who may have been affected by the earthquake or tsunami”.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif