As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

When I'm rushing on my run And I feel just like Jesus' [CHAT]

• earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Also I can vouch that sometimes moving away from family can make periodic meetings more civil.

earthwormadam on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    congrats on the job!

Godfather: What the hell is that tv show?? I love it! (what is the brown thing??)

The_Glad_Hatter on
  • NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Regular Show

and i think that brown thing was a coffee bean.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've been working with the Vippu tutorials and I just had an epiphany. These boring boxes connected to spheres I've been drawing for the last week are actually the human body. This shouldn't be as surprising to me as it actually is, I know. But there is a difference between logically knowing something and comprehending something. I just flipped back to stare at the last eight pages of my composition book realizing the angles and such are actually better uses of perspective and volume than anything I've deliberately drawing.

Felt the need to share, as you all are the reason I've got this far. :)

Enc on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, that's a neat moment, when that switch gets flipped.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mars, that sucks! My condolances!

MagicToaster on
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
  • Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    My condolences as well, Mars. :(

Also, gratz to DDV!

Also, can somebody who is more up on nuclear power technology/has been reading more detailed news sources explain to me if that plant in Japan has some terribly out-of-date/not to code failsafe devices, or what?

I appreciate that (at least, according to what I've heard so far), that it apparently does have safety measures preventing a massive, Chernobyl-type situation... but beyond that, you'd think the engineers would really try to sell their bosses on the PR benefits of taking very solid measures to make sure the buildings around the reactors don't suddenly explode in a dramatic fashion.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited March 2011
    Apparently the plants are not as modern as they could be- the newest designs wouldn't even suffer what they're going through right now.

And one of the issues, allegedly, is the result of a rookie mistake. As far as I know things are iffy, but being handled well now and they shouldn't see any more issues.

Granted every 20 min someone says "SHIT JUST GOT WORSE" and 4 min later someone replies "actually no, it didn't" so who really knows.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

edited March 2011
    Here's the thing (and this is just my weak understanding of nuclear reactors at work along with the piecemeal information I have):

1. The coolant system for the reactor is destroyed. Like, it's fucked.

2. Nuclear reactors require cooling even when they're shut down. I think this is called "freefall," (also known as decay). This is why the Japanese engineers have jury-rigged a system where they're using ocean water to cool it. From what I've heard, they are losing ground.

3. Basically, if their system fails or they can't think of a new one to compensate, that reactor will melt down regardless of whether they shut it off or not. In short, they are still waaay in the bowels of the woods, here.

But that's just my understanding. I know fuck all about this.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    edited March 2011
    Even if the reactor "melts down" the set up they have there won't be anything nearly as bad as chernobyl due to their containment systems and other things they apparently have.

Nappuccino on

edited March 2011
    So was the design of the cooling system inherently flawed to begin with, or is it a case of it falling down/not being properly maintained, or is it a freak accident where like the 25 (or whatever) things they put in there to make sure nothing bad happened all failed at once?

I suppose I could be more informed on this if I didn't get all my news pretty much exclusively from the BBC website, but I suspect I'd somehow wind up even less informed than I am now if I tried to pick up these details by wading through the cesspool that is TV news.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited March 2011
    Nappuccino wrote: »
    Even if the reactor "melts down" the set up they have there won't be anything nearly as bad as chernobyl due to their containment systems and other things they apparently have.

No, but they're still fucked enough already. They don't need radioactive floodwater.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Iruka already posted one of This guys webcomics, but he has a whole bunch more, and a book. I thought I'd post it here, cuz he's badass.

And someone here did an original painting for me... And its badass. I won't post it cuz it isn't my work.

ninjai on
    edited March 2011
    So was the design of the cooling system inherently flawed to begin with, or is it a case of it falling down/not being properly maintained, or is it a freak accident where like the 25 (or whatever) things they put in there to make sure nothing bad happened all failed at once?

I suppose I could be more informed on this if I didn't get all my news pretty much exclusively from the BBC website, but I suspect I'd somehow wind up even less informed than I am now if I tried to pick up these details by wading through the cesspool that is TV news.

Well, part of the issue is the 9.0 earth quake and tsunami- they made the usual cooling systems fail and, if that isn't "freak" occurance, i don't really know what else would be.

Nappuccino on

edited March 2011
    I guess I just sort of assumed that nuclear safety engineers were a little more like the guys at the Pentagon who spend all day coming up with a military response plan for if Nicaragua decided to use a swarm of mercenaries in hot air balloons to try and annex Disneyworld, in that they have to have a plan (read: failsafe) ready to go for every possible scenario, regardless of how unlikely it may be.

Angel_of_Bacon on
    edited March 2011
    Nobody is that prepared for anything. There are 5 levels of redundancy at best.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Godfather on
    edited March 2011
    And I think even in their worst fears, they didn't expect a fucking 9.0 earthquake to hit. Its amazing that thing is still /there/ much less in shape to be fought for preventing meltdowns etc.

Nappuccino on

• JeckalHydeJeckalHyde Lord Awesome New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    JeckalHyde on
    edited March 2011
    Godfather wrote: »
    Ugh. Ugh.

[url ignorant fucking video /url][/url]

What the fuck.

That is the most ignorant thing I've ever seen.

Aside from the kirk cameron + banana video

ninjai on
  • PeterAndCompanyPeterAndCompany Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hate people like her who give Christians a bad name. Dammit.

PeterAndCompany on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    good christ the urge to punch that shit sucker in her smug fucking face is goddamned unbearable

Tam on
  • KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tam wrote: »
    good christ the urge to punch that shit sucker in her smug fucking face is goddamned unbearable

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHXziHOo_wQ&feature=channel_video_title

Kochikens on
  • TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    and her screen name
    damn her

Tam on
    edited March 2011
    odds are she's just out there trolling for attention. We ignore her and her purpose in life is gone

Nappuccino on

edited March 2011
    Have any of you seen easy A? I've never met anyone like that IRl... yet, here she is....

So I guess from her perspective, there are christians, and there are atheists... no exceptions, right?

ninjai on
  • Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Do YouTube affiliates get paid for ad impressions or ad clicks? If it's just impressions, she's probably making some decent coin from trolling, which you kind of have to admire.

It'd kind of be like how the Westboro folks put on their act to goad people into assaulting them so they can sue.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Its views I believe.

So... odds are 90:1 she's acting out seeking attention because she can and it nets her some money.

Nappuccino on

edited March 2011
    Godfather wrote: »
    Watch 6:35 before it's taken down! Again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5o9vb8fAkQ&feature=related

Where can I get some nipple coffee?

It looks like animators are back to doing drugs and racial sterotypes to find inspiration for cartoons. YESSSSSSS /fist pump

ninjai on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Guys, umm, if the nuclear plant in japan explodes Ill need someone to stay with out in the midwestt. cuz that cloud is heading right to my house.

PROX on
    edited March 2011
    PROX wrote: »
    Guys, umm, if the nuclear plant in japan explodes Ill need someone to stay with out in the midwestt. cuz that cloud is heading right to my house.

:shock: Be safe! My thoughts are with you guys

ninjai on
  • PROXPROX Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    oh god...heard something about meltdown...panniiic!

PROX on
  • Nineteen HundredNineteen Hundred Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Prox, don't freak out just yet. There are doomsayers, but official stance is that the effects will be negligible, even in Hawaii.

Nineteen Hundred on
    There was something important here. It's gone now.
    edited March 2011
    Fuck you scanner of my parents. I turned you on just an hour ago and you worked perfectly. You don't need to run 10 min checks on yourself now.

Nappuccino on

edited March 2011
    Its painfully obvious, because I am in posession of a brain... Its official. Etc.

ninjai on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The reactors supposedly won't get to lethal levels of radiation beyond a mile or two around the facility even if they go into meltdown (with the majority of radiation decaying within a month). Not really good news, but better than it could be. The containment units seems to be working fine still despite the coolant failing.

Enc on
  • The_Glad_HatterThe_Glad_Hatter One Sly Fox Underneath a Groovy HatRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Am i the only one working as a graphic designer who ever feels like this when talking to your employer ( <-- resident graphic designer in a company)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHv3aDa8n_A
    It can be tiring having to talk about graphics with someone whose vocabulary in them is lacking.
    "make it less blue" "use a nice red" "make those circles less round"... Atleast "make the logo bigger" is easy to understand :)

The_Glad_Hatter on
    edited March 2011
    Just last week I was talking to this press lady who said that she can’t print my design because her flat press can only manage up to 10.5”, not 11”, but that she can crop 0.5” worth.

I said no, nothing can be cropped. I suggested scaling it down proportionally, she said… “Yeah, we crop it down to 10.5”, that’s what I’m saying.” I explained to her that cropping and scaling are NOT the same thing. She said she understood.

This week I got her prints. Guess what she did. She CROPPED 0.5”. I was so angry.

MagicToaster on
    edited March 2011
    True Conversation Between my Copywriter and my Coworker

CopyWriter - “What is oil? Is it that black stuff that comes out of the ground?”
    Co Worker - “Yup”
    CopyWriter - “So who makes it?”
    Co Worker – “Nobody, it takes millions of years for the earth to turn something into oil”
    Copy Writer – “So what will they do when it runs out?”
    Co Worker – “Nothing can be done, this is why alternate renewable fuels is such an important topic”
    Copy Writer – “Oh, wow… do people know about this?”

5 Minutes later, my co-worker is reading the news paper and says “Huh, look at this. The earthquake in Japan was so strong that affected the rotation of the Earth”

She replies with “What is rotation?”

I am shocked at the level of ignorance of this human being. I am without words to describe how frustrating it is to have this black hole of knowledge work with me on every single project.

MagicToaster on
This discussion has been closed.