As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Age Thread - [Please post in new thread]

• Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Blackjack wrote: »
    Wow. this is a thing.
    Bethany Faces For Isabella

For You who can't Romance Bethany, because Bioware says Incest is Wrong but Gay is Aggreable

...what?

What kind of equivocating is that? D:

Frosty the Snow Plow on
  • spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    In terms of companions and their stories, this game is probably the best Bioware has ever done.

spamfilter on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Man. I don't understand Merrill's personal quest chain at all. Spoilered since a bunch of you haven't been able to complete it.
    So in act 2, she is wanting to fix the mirror so that she can restore a lost element of her people's history. Everyone, including Hawke is telling her its dangerous. She says she needs a special tool to do the mirror repair.

I make the decision that I'm not gonna give it to her. The keeper gives me the tool, and I deny it to Merrill. At this point I maxed out her rivalry meter and she pretty much hated me for ruining her chances at finishing her life-long project.

Fast forward to act 3, and she's all like "hey Hawke, I just had this great idea. How about we summon a demon to help me repair the mirror."

For real?

I just wanted to slap her across the face and say "no, you stupid girl. What makes you think I will let you summon a demon when I wouldn't even let you have a simple carpenter's tool?"

I went along with her plan and the end was super fucked
    You end up killing all the elves. All of them.
    Having to kill all of the Dalish is how you know you made bad choices in Dragon Age games. :lol:

Dude.
    I went against her plan, and I still ended up killing all the Elves. How fucked up is that?!

When her tribe confronted me at the mouth of the cave, I chose the speech option which said "Stand down." To me, that one seemed like it would give me a chance to peacefully sort things out, since I was telling everyone to cool off. But nope. They attacked me anyway, and now all the elves are dead.

Lucascraft on
  • StollyStolly Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Stolly wrote: »
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    spamfilter wrote: »

Also, Anders end game spoiler
    FUCK YOU ANDERS. I killed him without a second thought after he did what he did... There were tons of genuinely innocent people in the chantry. I initially sided with the templars after that, but I asked my companions' opinions and they seemed to favor the mages. I do not like Anders at all now... is it possible to skip even recruiting him?
    The templars are merely the military arm of the Chantry. Destroying the chantry was pretty mych the equivalent of bombing the Nazi party headquarters because of the actions of the SS. My pro mage Hawke supported Anders all the way.

Not really.
    It would be more like bombing a Muslim temple for the actions of radical jihadists. The Chantry flat out said that they would not condone any violence by the Templars against the mages. They were pushing for peace between the two sides. And then Anders blows the Chantry up and states straight out that he bombed the Chantry to insure that there could not be any kind of peace. Anders wanted war to break out between the Templars and the Circle, and so he took action to insure it would happen. My pro-mage Hawke could not condone such an act of terrorism.
    And yet the chantry condones violence against mages simply by keeping the templar organisation around. The Chantry is in charge of the opression of mages. The templars are part of the Chantry, not a sperate entity. Now the SS/nazi party comment was intentional hyperbole and just straight up saying that what Anders did was right and just isn't really something I'd do. However what I wanted to point out was that attacking the chantry isn't attacking some innocent neutral party. It is an attack on the organisation that is directly in charge of the opression.

Stolly on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man. I don't understand Merrill's personal quest chain at all. Spoilered since a bunch of you haven't been able to complete it.
    So in act 2, she is wanting to fix the mirror so that she can restore a lost element of her people's history. Everyone, including Hawke is telling her its dangerous. She says she needs a special tool to do the mirror repair.

I make the decision that I'm not gonna give it to her. The keeper gives me the tool, and I deny it to Merrill. At this point I maxed out her rivalry meter and she pretty much hated me for ruining her chances at finishing her life-long project.

Fast forward to act 3, and she's all like "hey Hawke, I just had this great idea. How about we summon a demon to help me repair the mirror."

For real?

I just wanted to slap her across the face and say "no, you stupid girl. What makes you think I will let you summon a demon when I wouldn't even let you have a simple carpenter's tool?"

Having to kill all of the Dalish is how you know you made bad choices in Dragon Age games. :lol:
    Hey, if those assholes would have just chilled the fuck out and let me talk, they'd still be alive.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Inter_dInter_d Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

FUCK YOU ANDERS. I killed him without a second thought after he did what he did... There were tons of genuinely innocent people in the chantry. I initially sided with the templars after that, but I asked my companions' opinions and they seemed to favor the mages. I do not like Anders at all now... is it possible to skip even recruiting him?
    The templars are merely the military arm of the Chantry. Destroying the chantry was pretty mych the equivalent of bombing the Nazi party headquarters because of the actions of the SS. My pro mage Hawke supported Anders all the way.

Not really.
    It would be more like bombing a Muslim temple for the actions of radical jihadists. The Chantry flat out said that they would not condone any violence by the Templars against the mages. They were pushing for peace between the two sides. And then Anders blows the Chantry up and states straight out that he bombed the Chantry to insure that there could not be any kind of peace. Anders wanted war to break out between the Templars and the Circle, and so he took action to insure it would happen. My pro-mage Hawke could not condone such an act of terrorism.

Pretty much this.
    I seriously was not seeing that coming, I kinda figured he was going to try to poison the Grand cleric but when it happened I knew there was no way I could let Anders live. I just wish they gave my badass Hawke an option to not gently kill Anders with a letter opener and beat the shit out of him dark knight style before stabbing him through the heart with my claymore.

I'm still in total shock that the templars and mages, Meredith and Orsino, literally just walk away from the guy who flat out confessed to blowing the place up. I can understand her wanting to still go through with the anullment but THE GUY RESPONSIBLE IS RIGHT THERE!!! KILL HIM!! TAKE HIM INTO CUSTODY AT LEAST!!!

Inter_d on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

For real?

Dude.
    I went against her plan, and I still ended up killing all the Elves. How fucked up is that?!

When her tribe confronted me at the mouth of the cave, I chose the speech option which said "Stand down." To me, that one seemed like it would give me a chance to peacefully sort things out, since I was telling everyone to cool off. But nope. They attacked me anyway, and now all the elves are dead.
    You have to tell them that you'll take responsibility. Hawke's all "what happened in there is a tragedy, and I swear that I will shank a bitch if Merrill ever does blood magic again" and the Dalish are just like "...well yeah okay see ya later dudes."

I do wish I could have been like "here, kill Merrill."

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

For real?

Dude.

The only way to not have them attack is if you choose to take full responsibility.

spamfilter on
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, gonna have to give up on Nightmare. General consensus is that it isn't beatable without abusing kiting, which hasn't been fun since Artorius in Winterspring. Pretty disappointing, but eh.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
    edited March 2011
    Shen wrote: »
    Yeah, gonna have to give up on Nightmare. General consensus is that it isn't beatable without abusing kiting, which hasn't been fun since Artorius in Winterspring. Pretty disappointing, but eh.
    Devs have said that the ones that beat it did so without kiting, so general consensus is probably wrong.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited March 2011
    Devs have said that the ones that beat it did so without kiting, so general consensus is probably wrong.

And I beat Dead Space2 on Zealot difficulty with default suit and a plasma cutter with no upgrades. :P

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't think I can play this again on the computer. Playing as a mage has been alright but there's been a lot of times where I'll be standing around in combat not attacking anything because I either can't see where my tiny pointer is or I can't get it to hover over the small exposed part of the enemy being clustered by my allies.

I imagine it being much worse for melee characters.

The controls in the console demo seemed much more usable in regards to attacking

ALSO: just did Varric's act 2 quest
    was awesome once i realized it was him exaggerating

initiatefailure on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm going to close this thread by saying that I love how folks criticize the voice actors for their horrible accent of such-and-such, when that accent is actually their native one.

American's ideas about what accent is and isn't correct are pretty funny.

(Edit: and I say that as an American.)

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    edited March 2011
    I don't think I can play this again on the computer. Playing as a mage has been alright but there's been a lot of times where I'll be standing around in combat not attacking anything because I either can't see where my tiny pointer is or I can't get it to hover over the small exposed part of the enemy being clustered by my allies.

YEuNC.jpg

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• StollyStolly Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

YEuNC.jpg

I switched it to TAB, just to make it feel just like WoW.

Stolly on
  • hottoqhottoq Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    hottoq wrote: »
    The fact that it's done so well is what cements this as a great game. So far, one of my favorites of the past couple years. Far far above DA:O in my eyes. It's a much more personal game, and I guess some will take exception to that, but I'll take that any day of the week when 99.9% of games are about defeating the uber evil and saving the world.

I wouldn't place it far far above DA:O, a game I really liked and which felt, in many ways, more polished than DA 2, which really feels rushed in many areas, such as the re-use of dungeons. However I really agree about how Bioware took a step in the right direction story wise. In my opinion there were a few things that could have been done better but overall I enjoyed this game, warts and all, more than pretty much all other Bioware games simply because the story was such a radical departure from BIO's usual save the world plot structure.

DA:O was damned fine but, IMO, hampered by it's very traditional story. DA 2 felt much more like the game I hoped for when the first decriptions of DA as a new franchise set in a mature fantasy world started to surface.

See, I only just played DA:O and Awakening right before DA2 came out, but I really fell in love with the game world and the overarching story, read every single codex entry and even the 2 books.

But DA:O felt a lot more rushed to me than DA2 has so far. Every single character in the game looks like it was spit out of a random character generator. Not even your companions looked like unique models (I counted 3 or 4 Alistair lookalikes, for example). Compare this to DA2, which has uniquely awesome designs not just for your companions but for some of the major characters too like Flemeth, the Arishok, the Viscount, the Knight-Commander, etc. The races, too, all looked the same: the elves were humans with pointy ears, the dwarves were short humans. And they all sounded the same, no accents or anything. And don't even get me started on Sten.

They did all this work setting up the world in the codices, such as the Dalish hatred and distrust of humans, but this is barely mentioned at all in the main quest when you go to the Brecilian Forest with your Warden. The Dalish are like, "Oh you want to see the Keeper? Come right in!" I noticed a bunch of examples of this throughout, just missed opportunities to do something interesting.

The characters were mostly boring and one note, too, with extremely short personal quests. I mean most of the personal quests could be completed in like 5 or 10 minutes. Coming off the awesome 1hr+ companion quests in ME2, this was a big disappointment. The only real exception was Shale.

The cutscenes were mostly just talking heads with some of the worst animation I've ever seen. No effort put into them whatsoever. Compare that to DA2, which has had some amaaaazing cutscenes.

Plus the dungeons in the main plot just went on and on and on and on. I hated that, and am glad they fixed that in DA2 even if that meant having them reused so frequently.

DA2 feels like the realization of the promise of DA:O.

hottoq on
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Could you point me in the direction of their strategy then?

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

YEuNC.jpg

x100,000 this.

Dragon Age 2: Type R

Can't play without it.

Decoy on
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So about that Merrill bug I've been hearing about, besides spoiling a future Act 3 companion quest, it doesn't actually do anything game breaking, right?

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
    edited March 2011
    So about that Merrill bug I've been hearing about, besides spoiling a future Act 3 companion quest, it doesn't actually do anything game breaking, right?
    From what I've heard, no. I didn't get it either time, so I can't really say for sure though.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Decoy wrote: »

YEuNC.jpg

x100,000 this.

Dragon Age 2: Type R

Can't play without it.

I apparently didn't dig through the keybinds menu... well now I take that back.

initiatefailure on
    edited March 2011
    From what I've heard, no. I didn't get it either time, so I can't really say for sure though.

Did you do the romance with her? I chose not to, and I never got the bug. I'm also thinking it might be happening on the PC more frequently, but who knows.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm going to close this thread by saying that I love how folks criticize the voice actors for their horrible accent of such-and-such, when that accent is actually their native one.

American's ideas about what accent is and isn't correct are pretty funny.

(Edit: and I say that as an American.)

I pointed out something like this earlier in the thread. Someone said it was a nice touch how all the elves are Irish. Except Merril, who is Welsh.

Her accent flat out annoys me because she is an anglicised Welsh person, which makes her accent sound like an Englishman doing a bad Welsh impersonation. It doesn't quite annoy me as much as Joe Fiennes in Flashforward, but it's close.

Spaffy on
    ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Not really.
    And yet the chantry condones violence against mages simply by keeping the templar organisation around. The Chantry is in charge of the opression of mages. The templars are part of the Chantry, not a sperate entity. Now the SS/nazi party comment was intentional hyperbole and just straight up saying that what Anders did was right and just isn't really something I'd do. However what I wanted to point out was that attacking the chantry isn't attacking some innocent neutral party. It is an attack on the organisation that is directly in charge of the opression.
    I'm not saying it's a third party, I'm saying its a civilian target, which it is, and to attack a civilian target in such a way is not something I am comfortable or accept in any way, shape, or form.

I'd also like to point out that in Fereldon, we didn't see mages being horrendously oppressed. The vast majority of the mages in the Circle there seemed pretty content with things. There was a very good relationship between the First Enchanter and the Knight Commander there, and both had a lot of respect for the other. Not just that, but Wynn can go on to be an advisor to the royalty of Fereldon. If mages were all horribly oppressed, that wouldn't happen.

Really, in Dragon Age: Origins, mages seemed more like being in the situation of Jedi in Star Wars. People with a very unique gift who are taken away in childhood to be trained so that they do not become a danger to others. The fact that their police force (the Templars) live in the same tower as they do isn't that big a deal to me. We also saw the reason for the Templars, which is if some mage does go power mad, they are there to make sure that shit does not get loose into the rest of the world (see Uldred for mages going power mad).

Getting back on track, yes Kirkwall's situation sucks. But, lets be honest, all of the apostates running around doing stupid shit like kidnapping Templars and implanting them with demons doesn't exactly help matters at all. Neither does the crazy blood mage murderer who kills Hawke's mom and then goes Frankenstein on the corpse.

What it really comes down to is that in Kirkwall, there were a small number of radicals on both sides of the fence that were stirring up as much trouble as they could because they wanted war. If all of those radicals (including Anders and Meredith) died of sudden heart attacks in Act 1, the moderates on both sides would have taken over and things between the mages and templars would have actually been just fine. We never would have gotten the powder keg that we did.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Alright bros. I'm nearing the end of Act 3, and there are a few things I'm missing, which I would like to find before finishing out the game. I have compiled a list of what I'm looking for, and I will spoiler tag it just to play it safe.
    -- Ambrosia
    -- Two entries in the "Enigma of Kirkwall." I got the entry from Gamlen's quest. Need 2 more for Act 3.
    -- Kill the Undying Xebenkek
    -- History of the Chantry Chapter 3. I already have 1, 2, and 4.

Lucascraft on
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    GPIA7R wrote: »
    Daris wrote: »
    That's not possible. The WoW forums are full of people who play WoW.

Right now, the WoW forums are English Gentlemen in comparison.

Instead of "I PAY MY 15 A MONTH, NOW CHANGE THE GAME TO THIS WAY SO I'LL LIKE IT MORE"

its

"I PAID MY 60 DOLLARS FOR THIS, NOW MAKE IT HOW I LIKE IT."

As a recovering WoW addict (got my 1-year coin in November) I can say that the difference between the two is that Blizzard actually caves to those "I pay $15 a month!" people.

Endgame encounter, Fenris note/spoiler:
    I'm playing as a mage, but somehow got Fenris on my good side. He's joked about the irony of having a mage as his only friend. I sided with the mages at the end and he jumped ship. Then when facing Meredith I asked him to join me and he just... changed his mind. Came back to my side and all was well.

Will he do that if you're Rivals? Or is it simply a Friendship thing?

Also, regarding the last fight:
    Is it just me... or were the non-controlled companions using the tactics I'd set up for them even though they weren't in my party? I kept having Fenris disengage and charge Brittle enemies to do a Might Blow.

It's not just you. My non-controlled companions were absolutely laying waste to shit just as if they were in my party.

-edit-

The really nice thing about this is that for the last several fights it ends up not mattering much what your party composition is. I went tankless and it was fine because the warriors had tactics set up to grab aggro and they continued to do so on their own while I controlled mages and rogues directly.

Regina Fong on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Alright bros. I'm nearing the end of Act 3, and there are a few things I'm missing, which I would like to find before finishing out the game. I have compiled a list of what I'm looking for, and I will spoiler tag it just to play it safe.
    -- Ambrosia
    -- Two entries in the "Enigma of Kirkwall." I got the entry from Gamlen's quest. Need 2 more for Act 3.
    Ambrosia is in Isabela's Act 3 companion quest.
    Xebenkeck is Act 2. You missed it.
    Same with the chantry volume (this is in a batshit place; when you start the fight after seamus is killed in the chantry, the codex entry is right in front of you on the altar; that's the only time to get it

Enigma of Kirkwall, one is in the templar hall, in the room next to meredith
    I think another one is in the sewer for anders' quest

Elendil on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    To be fair to Meredith
    She was hard on the mages because her city was balls deep in maleficarum and blood mages. In Act 1 and 2, before she's gone fucknuts crazy due to the idol, she's being harsh but not far beyond what's justified.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited March 2011
    -- Ambrosia

You get ambrosia
    in Isabellas personal mission, if she left you permanently you're screwed unless you want to manually add her back into your group via the developer console.

Regina Fong on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Is there a link here? I've definitely heard "a dev has beat it so its okay" a few times now, but never "without kiting".

Foolish Chaos on
    edited March 2011
    So, both times through I missed the chest piece for the Act 2 Armor Set. Where is it, anyway?

edit: as for my no kiting statement, I'm not going through the official forums for it, because frankly I don't care about Nightmare that much :( So just treat it with the same level you'd treat "my uncle's friend's cousin's college roommate's brother works for Bioware and told me a thing" Sorry :(

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

edited March 2011
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    To be fair to Meredith
    She was hard on the mages because her city was balls deep in maleficarum and blood mages. In Act 1 and 2, before she's gone fucknuts crazy due to the idol, she's being harsh but not far beyond what's justified.

Very true.
    Anders spends the entire game deliberately stirring the pot. Listen to his banter sometime. He's a fucking prick.

Regina Fong on
    edited March 2011
    So, both times through I missed the chest piece for the Act 2 Armor Set. Where is it, anyway?
    Is this the Stone whatchamacallit? It's actually in Act 3, in a shop. I've never even bothered picking it up.

Elendil on
    edited March 2011
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    To be fair to Meredith
    From what Anders and Hawke also find out, she also refused to pass a completely unfair forced Tranquility law on mages, so she couldn't have been that bad. But her own growing madness and desire to make Templars the major power in Kirkwall after Viscount Dumar's death all but show just how much she deserved to be taken down.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    Is this the Stone whatchamacallit? It's actually in Act 3, in a shop. I've never even bothered picking it up.

At that point you're going to end up having the Champion Chestpiece soon, so it's not worth spending the money on it.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
    edited March 2011
    Dashui wrote: »

At that point you're going to end up having the Champion Chestpiece soon, so it's not worth spending the money on it.

You have to go through the "Mine Massacre" quest to get the chestpiece, though, and that's a very hard quest.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Oh man. Champion Rogue armor set is fucking boss, its got a proper hood and errything.

Found out waaaaaaay too late that Ser Isaac's armor is rogue armor though... I was really excited to use it too. Maybe when I finishe my warrior and mage playthroughs I'll do a ranged rogue playthrough.

Skull2185 on
    edited March 2011

You have to go through the "Mine Massacre" quest to get the chestpiece, though, and that's a very hard quest.

Pffft. On Normal that fight is a joke.

Pride Unbound is harder. Much harder.

Fiaryn on
    edited March 2011

Doesn't even need to be the Champion piece. You can get the Cuirass of the Centurion from Fenris' quest which is open immediately. It's pretty comparable, stat-wise. And it totally looks better.

Elendil on
    edited March 2011

Doesn't even need to be the Champion piece. You can get the Cuirass of the Centurion from Fenris' quest which is open immediately. It's pretty comparable, stat-wise. And it totally looks better.

Blugh. Too bulky, Warplate of the Champion looks better.

Fiaryn on
This discussion has been closed.