As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

eyes on the road, ears on the radio, don't fall asleep!

13»

• Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    road trips are fun!

skettios on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Most I've done is drive to Modesto from Seattle (and back 2-3 days later).
    Was able to share the driving with 2 other people, but since I had the last shift, I did the most driving cause they got tired and whatnot. We did our drive during the night to avoid traffic and so that we didn't have to take more time off of work. Sooo I drove at like.. 3 or 4am - whenever we got there

I really do enjoy driving places though.
    When mongoose and I go visit friends or go to places farther than say Poulsbo, I usually drive.

skettios on
  • Options
    StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Girlfriend suggested a roadtrip to Halifax this summer

17 hours by car...

thank god she's licensed, so we can switch it up every once in a while.

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've always wanted to go on a roadtrip to Halifax with some bros

but my bros are always broke!

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    lostwords wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    lostwords wrote: »
    i can't stay in a car for more than two hours without having to go peepee.

also smoking a cig about every half hour

but i loooove long car rides anyway

you are so goddamn adorable

I also give hella road head (just ask NaS)

aw dammit. :(

yeah, i got a doozie of a road trip coming up. actually, not bad at all compared to some in the past.

as a kid we did LA to FL in a gran torino, LA to NC on a greyhound, LA to NC in a mustang, a few up and down the CA coast, carson city, SLC, tahoe, etc.

as an adult driver, i've done several trips NC to FL, NC to CT, KY to CT.......FUCK. i can't keep track of all this.

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ya, as a kid we took regular trips from Anchorage to Homer (4 hours).
    Also took a few trips up to Fairbanks (6-8 hours).

One year we did a real road trip (as opposed to our usual fishing/camping trips) and drove all over Alaska.
    Up to Fairbanks, over to Tok, down to Valdez.
    It was pretty cool, wouldn't mind doing something like that again someday.

skettios on
  • Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Staleghoti wrote: »

17 hours by car...

Tell her that you get roadhead or it's no deal.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Play Radar Love on loop until you get there.

Langly on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Radar Love is a gotdang jam

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The Geek wrote: »
    Staleghoti wrote: »

17 hours by car...

Tell her that you get roadhead or it's no deal.

oh that's definitely part of the deal.

also would have to make the whole trip in one day to avoid motel spending.

Staleghoti on
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

When I reach a breaking point in a road trip I will play it a few times and it will almost always get me through it.

Langly on
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Langly wrote: »

When I reach a breaking point in a road trip I will play it a few times and it will almost always get me through it.

Bat Out of Hell is another good auditory stimulant.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

hell yes.

but thread title is a little off...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ9GDiYU0-I

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Options
    eddizhereeddizhere Scrubber Than A Sponge Scrubtown, USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    A few summers ago my girlfriend and I decided to go visit my dad via road trip. We live roundabouts Nashville, TN and he lived in Monterey, CA. We made it there in two days because on the second day we accidentally drove 22 hours.

eddizhere on
    League of Legends: Plutoniumwombat
    Smite: Plutoniumwombat
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    cadmunky wrote: »

hell yes.

but thread title is a little off...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ9GDiYU0-I

also

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1D3a5eDJIs

Staleghoti on
  • Options
    bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    gilian anderson fucked barry hay a zillion times.

earring groupie

the more you know.jpg

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Driving long distances kills me. It's a 'thing' here (in Western Australia) that men can drive for like 14 hours without a break.

I can get to about 2 hours and I'm struggling so hard to stay awake, my eyes are red and burning, I'm sweating and irritable... It's ridiculous. I can ride a dirtbike all fucking day, I can cut laps in a go-kart all day and night, I can operate a forklift for an entire 9 hour work day without a break, but force me to drive on highways and my brain turns to into a sloppy mess.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    OmegaTofuNinjaOmegaTofuNinja Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    death from above 1979 makes any trip seem to be set in the "rock the fuck out all of the time" universe

OmegaTofuNinja on
    Facebook Wii: 7912 0299 8667 6601 I tweet sometimes Poetry?!
  • Options
    Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    Shit. Usagi and I drove to SLC from Seattle and back for a weekend recently. That's about 14 hours each way. Through some really fucking boring landscape. Through the snow. Uphill, both ways. 10 hours ain't shit!

the drive between seattle and slc is real pretty by the cities

in between, not so much

Shock G on
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    #pipe wrote: »
    Al_wat wrote: »
    plane rides are way worse than car rides

Other than the whole "can go as far in 3 hours of flying as you can in 3 days of driving" thing

this is patently untrue

on a plane you can get up and walk around

you get meals delivered right to your seat

you have a selection of movies and television you can watch

you have awesome views

you can get drunk

it's entirely socially acceptable to take a whole bunch of drugs and pass out

In a car, you can stop pretty much whenever you want and take a break. So you can still get up and walk around.

You can have food in the car... go to restaurants... drivethrough... pic nics... waaaaay better than airplane food.

TV and movies, eh airplanes have cars beat here. Views? Maybe I've been on some boring ass plane rides but the most common view I've had in an airplane is miles and miles of the tops of clouds, which is pretty fucking boring to look at. Driving you can actually see, and go to landmarks if you want. You can actually see climates merging into other climates, this is cool as fuck.

You can smoke cigarettes, weed (if you get caught you're obviously fucked) while on the drive. Yeah.. theres no getting drunk unless you're a passenger or something. (and even this is illegal in most places - but less morally dubious in my opinion than actual drinking and driving).

I guess bottom line if it weren't for the time factor I would choose to drive everywhere I could.

Al_wat on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    #pipe wrote: »
    plane rides are way worse than car rides

Other than the whole "can go as far in 3 hours of flying as you can in 3 days of driving" thing

this is patently untrue

on a plane you can get up and walk around

you get meals delivered right to your seat

you have a selection of movies and television you can watch

you have awesome views

you can get drunk

it's entirely socially acceptable to take a whole bunch of drugs and pass out

In a car, you can stop pretty much whenever you want and take a break. So you can still get up and walk around.

You can have food in the car... go to restaurants... drivethrough... pic nics... waaaaay better than airplane food.

TV and movies, eh airplanes have cars beat here. Views? Maybe I've been on some boring ass plane rides but the most common view I've had in an airplane is miles and miles of the tops of clouds, which is pretty fucking boring to look at. Driving you can actually see, and go to landmarks if you want. You can actually see climates merging into other climates, this is cool as fuck.

You can smoke cigarettes, weed (if you get caught you're obviously fucked) while on the drive. Yeah.. theres no getting drunk unless you're a passenger or something. (and even this is illegal in most places - but less morally dubious in my opinion than actual drinking and driving).

I guess bottom line if it weren't for the time factor I would choose to drive everywhere I could.

And no dealing with airport security!

I haven't flown in almost 10 years. Might have to this year, I'm a little scared to be honest.

skettios on
  • Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't drink and I don't wanna take pills

also getting up on a plane and walking around isn't that great I don't think. Although on the plane to Australia they had free beverages and cookies in the back with a kind of a hang out-ish area (that you weren't allowed to hang out in but I did it anyway I am a rebel)

You also don't have to play "strangers being douches" roulette on a road trip usually

and the constant whooshing in an airplane is no good

so cars definitely win out for me in how comfortable it is to be in them, but the time difference usually seals the deal for planes anyway!

Wimble on
    4SMZq.jpg