As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East Magical Mystery Tour 2011 [schedule posted]

124»

• Vanishing PointVanishing Point Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    YES count me in! This will be my first MMT, and it sounds most excellent! But like many here, I'll likely make it for Thursday but probably not Wednesday.
    That being said, it would be quite a stretch to make it to BU for the star-gazing, but we'll see about it. :wink:

Vanishing Point on
    Fact 200. Album One - Conch shell red. Album Two - Peony blue. Not for resale unless desperate.
  • MagnusCarterMagnusCarter Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I too shall once again attend the MMT.

I figure it would be rude not too after convincing Kev to join in.

MagnusCarter on
  • JobiwanKenobiJobiwanKenobi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If its alright, my girlfriend and I might try to drop in for part of the day on Wednesday. [I suspect that our plans will be very fluid, right up until Wednesday morning...]

JobiwanKenobi on

PAX Prime '09 - H1N(erd)1 Survivor - Never Forget (Your Hand Sanitizer)
    PAX Prime '14 Omeganaut - Result: KO in 3rd Round (Damn you, Super Avalanche 2!)
  • bar room herobar room hero Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If its not too late can I sign up for the Thursday trip? not flying in until the wednesday night so cant make that day

bar room hero on
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    contrefait wrote: »
    Do we need to sign up for the various foodening events separate from the MMT?

I'm sorry I missed this question! Yes, you will need to sign up for the pre-PAX Breakfast, pre-PAX Dinner, and PokeCrawl separately. Signing up for the pre-PAX Fried Food Extravaganza is not necessary. There is no signing up to do for Wednesday's foods.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
    edited February 2011
    Attendees list updated and PM's sent out!
    If you plan on attending and you are not on the attendees list and/or did not get a PM from me, speak up!

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
    edited February 2011
    I got the MMT trading cards in yesterday. Want to see?
    5480851264_49cce45fe8.jpg

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't know what I like more; the design or the fact that the schedule is on the back!

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Squee!! They came out so nicely! SO glad the schedule fit and is readable.

Menolly07 on
    Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
    edited March 2011
    I sent out PM's last week and still haven't received responses from some of you. If you don't reply, I WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU! Yep, talk to me or fend for yourself.
    I'm looking for replies from these people:
    Rdr
    ZeroHourHero
    Snarky
    Electric Pi
    MagnusCarter
    bar room hero

I've written up a list of suggested items to bring with you on the tour. Most are optional, but the last one is not! Here it is for your reading pleasure:
    Good Shoes - You want shoes that are preferably comfortable and have good tread. We will be walking up and down stairs to the subway, between the T stations and our destinations, and around various sites (museums, MIT campus, etc). Boston is covered in snow right now so we may have to walk over snow, slush, ice, water, etc. Boots are suggested.
    Winter Wear and Layers - Again, Boston is covered in snow. It's winter. It's cold. Coats, hats, scarves, gloves, etc might be of interest to you. However, most of our destinations are inside and heated. And many of the subway stations can be quite warm. For this reason, layers are your friend.
    Cash Monies - Plastic can work, but there's always a chance it won't. Cash will work even if the machines aren't working. It's also sometimes faster. Having small bills is a good idea for tipping tour guides, waiters, and the like.
    Phone - You know, in case you get lost. Or hurt. Or you miss your best friend and need to hear his voice.
    My Phone # - Did you get my PM? Write down my number, put it in your phone, somehow make sure you have it.
    Water and Snacks - Our time is tightly budgeted. While lunch is worked into the schedule everyday, there won't be time to stop at convenience stores/coffee shops/what-have-you. If you think you may want a snack or drink, bring it with you.
    Bag - Bags are handy for carrying stuff. Whether you need a place to stash your snacks, store your extra layers when you get warm, cart around your favorite game, or carry souvenirs and toys you buy, a bag is a good idea.
    Cards - Did you make trading cards for PAX? This is a good time to get in some early trading of said cards. If you didn't make trading cards, you can still bring business cards or some other sort of info cards to give out to those cool new people you just met and want to stay in contact with later.
    Schedule - It could be handy to have a copy with you. The MMT trading cards have an abbreviated version of the schedule on the back, so if you show up to the morning meeting (either day), you'll have that one.
    Charlie Card/Weekly Pass - We'll be riding the subway A LOT. It will save you some money if have either a standard Charlie Card ($1.70 per ride instead of $2) or a weekly pass ($15, unlimited rides for a week). Both are available at subway stations. (More info here: http://mbta.com/fares_and_passes/subway/) At the morning meetings, I'll be helping everyone acquire one if they haven't already.
    Boston City Pass - Buying this could save you a little money if you plan on going to the Aquarium, Museum of Science, and Harvard/Peabody Museums. It's not a big savings ($52 vs $46), but money is money. You can order one online (http://www.citypass.com/boston ) or at the Harvard and Peabody Museums when we go there on Wednesday. (You'll probably save time by buying it ahead of time.) If you don't go to all 3 of places, you will lose money by buying the pass.
    Pens and Other Small Items - General things that can come in handy: pens, paper clips, bobby pins, floss, duct tape. Stuff can go wrong. And you can play MacGuyver and fix it.
    A Good Attitude - We're spending a day or 2 together. Play nice: Don't complain about things I can't fix (the walk/cold/snow/late train). Don't start fights. Don't feed the animals. Don't be a dick.

edit: I added the closest T stop to each location on the schedule in the OP (color of text denotes which line it is).

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thank you for the T line stops! <3 punzie

I need to add a +1 to mine; same contact info though

chaosisorder on
    edited March 2011

I have Emod listed. Is this another +1?

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • SmackdoSmackdo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I would also like to go. Is it too late for me?!?!?

Smackdo on
    edited March 2011
    Smackdo, you have been added and a PM has been sent :)

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • RappakRappak Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I maybe able to join if I get the day off on Thursday. Do I need to commit now or when do I need to say that I'm going?

Rappak on
    edited March 2011
    You can join day-of. When you show up, just try let me know you're there and who you are. Otherwise it will screw up my headcount.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    punzie wrote: »

I have Emod listed. Is this another +1?

Yep, we have another friend, Ronn, joining the fray

chaosisorder on
  • cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    And I will also be there Thursday - same contact info as chaos (because I am lazy)

cabsy on
  • SmackdoSmackdo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hate to be throwing this is in so late. But after speaking with a Boston native, he suggested against going to the same Adam's brewery. He reasons were that they really don't show very much, and it is extremely far out of our way. Just food for thought.

Smackdo on
    edited March 2011
    Smackdo wrote: »
    I hate to be throwing this is in so late. But after speaking with a Boston native, he suggested against going to the same Adam's brewery. He reasons were that they really don't show very much, and it is extremely far out of our way. Just food for thought.

But people are interested. People voted and it got the most votes. That's all there is to it. If anyone doesn't want to go there, they can meet up with us at the next stop. If people don't like it, they'll be able to share that info next year.

I keep meaning to bring this up: It seems likely that many of you attending on Wednesday might be in the city on Tuesday night. If so, this meet-up may interest you: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=137332

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Aye, historically the MMT has always been a democratic process: the events that get the most votes wins. We can build up this info based on experience and use it to help inform voters in upcoming MMTs if people end up not liking it, but the masses have spoken on this years' locations. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • The Smartest Man?The Smartest Man? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, I'm here now at Park and Tremont. Not seeing a flag, but I can wait.

The Smartest Man? on
    So it goes...
    edited March 2011
    Nvm, we are beginning to congregate!

The Smartest Man? on
    So it goes...
    edited March 2011
    Have a blast guys! I wish I could be there!

If you guys happen past Chinatown, I'm currently working in the large off white office building across the street from the gateway: wave to the window, I might be able to see you! =)

VThornheart on
    edited March 2011
    Day one is complete. Unfortunately, it's too cloudy for the astronomy night. I hope you all had fun though and will be back tomorrow! We start at 8:30 at the corner of Tremont and Park streets.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i cannot even describe my jealousy that, while i am in class tomorrow, you all will be paxing up the aquarium. make faces at the harbor seals for me!

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
    edited March 2011
    Hey Punzie, I've got to make a train run back home to get the rest of the Brigade supplies and bring my car into town (I've realized that I have *way* too much stuff to bring it all on the train ride home after this is over =) ), so I'm going to join up with you guys a bit late... I'm hoping to get back into town by 3pm at the latest!

VThornheart on
    edited March 2011
    Hey, I just wanted to say that I had a great time (even though I got lost between MIT and Harvard =P). If I make it back next year, I'll definitely have to do this again! Anyway, I remember that we did a few group pictures, but I can't remember who took them. Could someone tell me who the pictures, or could you post them up here? It would mean a lot to me.

The Smartest Man? on
    So it goes...
    edited March 2011
    I'll be slowly uploading pictures to my Flickr and Facebook. I did the group shots tonight. Here are the 2 best:
    Outside Sam Adams
    5531159644_6130d0afe9.jpg
    pre-PAX Fried Food Lunch-time Extravaganza
    5530576027_24c8118609.jpg

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/shad0wkitt3n/

I'm interested in seeing other people's pictures too!

punzie on
    HI3789R.png