As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pokémon Black and White and THREAD ALL OVER

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Alright, Beartic, all your training has prepared you for the final gym, let's do this.

Although Icicle Crash only having 10 PP and 90% accuracy? Ouch.

He one-shotted every pokemon in the last gym for me. I also had Blizzard by that time. He's surprisingly awesome. I taught him Bulldoze for some better type coverage too.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ah, gotcha, my bad :)

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kay wrote: »
    Houn wrote: »
    Why is my level 11 Lillipup a better attacker than my starter, a level 15 Snivy? Depressing.

Lillipup is attacking from a Base 60 Attack, using a 50 Power move with STAB.

Snivy is attacking from a Base 45 Attack, using a 35 Power move with STAB. Lillipup will hit harder, unless weakness/resistance comes into the equation.

Actually, I've been using Bite on Lillipup (Non-stab power 60), and usually Tackle with Snivy. Unless you're about to tell me I'm doing it wrong.

Houn on
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    After last night I'm tempted to breed for another shiny. Thinking Venipede right now.

I'm a horrible person.

Adellios on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Why is my level 11 Lillipup a better attacker than my starter, a level 15 Snivy? Depressing.

Snivy is attacking from a Base 45 Attack, using a 35 Power move with STAB. Lillipup will hit harder, unless weakness/resistance comes into the equation.

Actually, I've been using Bite on Lillipup (Non-stab power 60), and usually Tackle with Snivy. Unless you're about to tell me I'm doing it wrong.

Houn, I agree that I get better results on my starter with Tackle than with their STAB move. This is true on my White game where I chose Snivy and this is true on my Black game where I chose Oshawott.

The starter pokemon are just incredibly weak in their first form. Weaker than I remember any of the other starters being in previous generations. However, once I evolved my Oshawott, his power problem seems to have corrected itself.

I've also noticed that the 3 elemental monkeys - Panpour, Pansear, Pansage - are all incredibly weak too. My Pansear's STAB attack with Incinerate is laughable.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Damn Elesa and Volt Switch. So irritating.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »

Houn, I agree that I get better results on my starter with Tackle than with their STAB move. This is true on my White game where I chose Snivy and this is true on my Black game where I chose Oshawott.

The starter pokemon are just incredibly weak in their first form. Weaker than I remember any of the other starters being in previous generations. However, once I evolved my Oshawott, his power problem seems to have corrected itself.

I've also noticed that the 3 elemental monkeys - Panpour, Pansear, Pansage - are all incredibly weak too. My Pansear's STAB attack with Incinerate is laughable.

Well, looking it up, STAB is a 50% boost (100% with Adaptability). So Tackle's 50 becomes 75 for Lillipup, so I should be using that instead of bite. Snivy's Vine Whip only goes from 35 to ~52, so it should be slightly better than Tackle, but observation really had me believing Tackle was the better attack. Hrm. :P

Houn on
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    However, once I evolved my Oshawott, his power problem seems to have corrected itself.

Yeah, Razor Shell will do that. So many OHKOs...

Incinerate is only 30 power; Water Gun is 40, and Vine Whip 35. They'd probably be more impressive if they hadn't increased Tackle to 50 (from 35?). Do the math: even with the monkey's STAB, Incinerate is less* powerful than a non-STAB Tackle (and Vine Whip isn't that much better). If it wasn't for weaknesses (which Tackle will never have) they'd be utter trash.

Really I think the change to Tackle is the real problem there. Not one I'm complaining about, mind, just noticing.

*Although to be fair, Incinerate can sometimes effectively do an additional 10 or 30 damage by burning an Oran/Sitrus Berry. Woo hoo.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Well, if things resist Normal, but don't resist Dark, Bite is the way to go. So... Roggenrola in the early game, but that's all I can think of. Purrloins will want a Tackle from Lillipup though, as they resist Dark. Woobats will want a Bite, as they're weak to Dark. Type advantages! Tackle goes from 50 base power to 75 base power with STAB, while Bite is 60.

Snivy is a little different. Until you get Leaf Tornado (which is pretty nice), Vine Whip is your STAB attack. It has a base power of 35, so effectively 52.5. That's a LITTLE better than Tackle, without factoring in resistances/weaknesses.

You're not doing it wrong, you just need to understand the numbers a little better!

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I knew STAB existed, I just never bothered to look up the numbers on it. olol hidden mechanics and all that.

Houn on
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    HerrCron wrote: »
    hey guys, a quick question - I recently got a copy of Pokémon pearl as a present and I'm wondering if it's worth playing?

I'm currently working my way through Heart Gold and I had planned to pick up White before Victini event ends so should i just put it aside until i want to transfer pokémon from it onto White or is it a decent game in its own right?

Pearl's good, definitely worth playing. The order that you play them certainly doesn't matter; it probably wont be a big deal to go back to Pearl after White.

Cheers, i'll put it at the bottom of the stack for now, but it's good to knwo it's not the red headed stepchild of the series or anything

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is there a reason why my Lilipup/Herdier gets more XP per battle than my other pokemon? It isn't a traded Poke. Its one I caught in the wild. But he always seems to get more XP than anyone else.

If I fight a Patrat and do a mid-battle switch, at the end of the fight my Oshawott will get 50 XP and my Herdier will get 58 or something like that. NOTE: Those are made up numbers which are meant to serve as an illustration only.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is there a reason why my Lilipup/Herdier gets more XP per battle than my other pokemon? It isn't a traded Poke. Its one I caught in the wild. But he always seems to get more XP than anyone else.

If I fight a Patrat and do a mid-battle switch, at the end of the fight my Oshawott will get 50 XP and my Herdier will get 58 or something like that. NOTE: Those are made up numbers which are meant to serve as an illustration only.

Lower leveled pokemon get more experience for fighting higher-leveled things, in this game. It's something they added to speed up how fast new pokemon you add to your team catch up in levels.

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    XP isn't static anymore, there's a curve. If you're lower-level fighting a higher level, you get a bonus, and higher fighting lower gets a reduction.

So, most likely, Oshawott is a level or two higher than Lillipup right now, but due to the scaling mechanic, Lillipup will catch up.

Houn on
  • Options
    RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you got a shiny pokemon or a pokemon with crazy good stats through GTS how can you tell if it was hacked or not?

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I knew STAB existed, I just never bothered to look up the numbers on it. olol hidden mechanics and all that.

Hidden? Nintendo coined the term STAB. It's mention in every players guide in every gen and I think every game tells you about it too.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you got a shiny pokemon or a pokemon with crazy good stats through GTS how can you tell if it was hacked or not?

I dont think there is any surefire way but you can always check what kind of ball its in, egg moves, location etc (Anything with egg moves should only be in a pokeball.) 4th gen ones can be hacked or RNGed (which some people do and its more legit than a hacked one.) 5th gen crazy good shiny pokemon are probably hacked since RNG hasnt been figured out yet and MM is only 1/1344. Although I've heard that B/W has more anti-cheating devices now so I'm not entirely sure. Depends on your definition of crazy good.

EDIT: Seems like alot of people do get a decent amount of shinys since the encounter rate is high and double wild battles. It's a toss-up.

Adellios on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anyone far enough along yet to have a Pawniard, Deino, or Rufflet to trade? I want them now, not later!

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Hidden? Nintendo coined the term STAB. It's mention in every players guide in every gen and I think every game tells you about it too.

It's not spelled out in game, it's hidden. I don't count optional purchases part of the core game for determining whether or not something is in-game information.

Yes, some people in game mention that the same type gets a vague bonus. The 50% has never come up for me; granted, I've only played through Diamond and a small bit of Black, but if it's not hidden information, it should be stated directly in-game, every game.

Houn on
  • Options
    AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I don't think the exact benefit of STAB has ever been said in-game. Maybe in one of the stadium games, or something. It's more well known than stuff like EVs, but it's still "hidden".

AshtonDragon on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm positive it's in the instruction booklet for Gen one.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    KungFu wrote: »
    Anyone far enough along yet to have a Pawniard, Deino, or Rufflet to trade? I want them now, not later!

I have Pawniard and can get Rufflet easy enough. I can also get Deino, but if you want a Dragon pokemon I'd recommend Axew. Way better stats than Deino. I don't need anything in particular for them.

Add my FC and I can get on later tonight.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Assuming your fanbase has read something in the instruction booklet for a game released 15 years ago AND assuming they'll know it applies to the brand new "Generation Five" iteration of your game is pretty foolish.

Houn on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Vanguard wrote: »

I have Pawniard and can get Rufflet easy enough. I can also get Deino, but if you want a Dragon pokemon I'd recommend Axew. Way better stats than Deino. I don't need anything in particular for them.

Axew is cool and all but my roommate is planning to use him.

I'll add your friend code. Mine is in the code list as well. Thanks a lot!

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I can also get Deino, but if you want a Dragon pokemon I'd recommend Axew. Way better stats than Deino.

Axew also evolves before level 50.

The first time.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I finally got the 8th badge on Soul Silver last night, and found a neat little trick for exp/money farming:
    After Elm sends you to the Kimono girls, you can equip your first poke with the Amulet Coin and fight all the eevee forms one by one, choosing who fights and gets the exp, each fight is ~9100p. When you reach the last fight (Vaperon) just let your pokes die (goodbye happiness!), and you'll lose ~4600p. All in all, that's still a net gain of ~31800p, and whatever exp you've earned. Now, just head back to the Kimono girls, and do the fights all over again for more exp and money. Sucks that you have to get KO'd, but I did not test anything that removes you/them from the fight, but I have a feeling it won't work on a fight like this.

Considering Soul Silver seems to be lacking in good exp and monetary gain after the 8th badge but before Victory Road, I may do this a few times to bring a few pokes up to par, and get some extra cash.

P.S.: Getting the National Dex on Soul Silver seems like it's going to be a HUGE pain in the arse. Atleast last night I caught Entei and Raikou. Not the best nature for Raikou, but after how long it took to run around and catch him, I said screw it.

MonkeyConQueso on
    PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Sooooo, looking to borrow a Ditto for a day or so. Nature isn't terribly important, but I'd prefer a +speed/-def or -sp.def one. I was looking to breed up some starters and monkeys for friends to exchange on Friday, at a local gaming meetup. Anyone able to help?

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think I have a hasty ditto lying around, I'll take a look. You can borrow it no prob.

Maytag on
    3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

It's not spelled out in game, it's hidden. I don't count optional purchases part of the core game for determining whether or not something is in-game information.

Yes, some people in game mention that the same type gets a vague bonus. The 50% has never come up for me; granted, I've only played through Diamond and a small bit of Black, but if it's not hidden information, it should be stated directly in-game, every game.

It's not hidden.
    They outright say "Pokemon using the same type of attack will get a bonus."

It's like saying type advantage is "hidden" because you don't find out about it until you actually get hit with one.

Assuming your fanbase has read something in the instruction booklet for a game released 15 years ago AND assuming they'll know it applies to the brand new "Generation Five" iteration of your game is pretty foolish.

Okay now you're just being silly.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

It's not hidden.
    They outright say "Pokemon using the same type of attack will get a bonus."

It's like saying type advantage is "hidden" because you don't find out about it until you actually get hit with one.

The number is hidden. I assumed it was small, like maybe 10%.

Houn on
  • Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's definitely in there, as talking with every single NPC will usual reveal. Granted, they don't outright state "Oh, this is going to be a 1.5x attack bonus provided to your Pokemons attack", but they don't exactly do that with all the abilities nor Poke Ball rates either.

EDIT: I feel as slow as a Snorlax and as "Beaten'd!" as a Slowpoke.

V Faction on
    Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Maytag wrote: »
    I think I have a hasty ditto lying around, I'll take a look. You can borrow it no prob.

That'd be incredibly helpful! I think people will be happy just to have starters and monkeys they missed out on, I might breed some other stuff that could be fun, too.

Oh, and I picked up pokérus in a random wild enocunter. Bonus!

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Speaking of GTS'ing for food

Is there any way to get Petaya Berries in Gen 5 so far? My Empoleon is going through withdrawal phases.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The only game I can remember giving the exact value for STAB is Pokémon Stadium 2.

That being said it is mentioned in just about every game, usually in the classroom somewhere near the beginning.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Speaking of GTS'ing for food

Is there any way to get Petaya Berries in Gen 5 so far? My Empoleon is going through withdrawal phases.

I believe most of the berries are exclusive to this Dream World thing. So you'll have to wait till the 30th...

Halos Nach Tariff on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    To answer my question from the old thread, it looks like Nintendo released the Relocator passwords on the Pokemon website on the 11th.

Not the Black/White website, mind. The general one. >_<

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Axew's not way better than Deino! Deino's final form is faster and bulkier than Haxorus while one is a Special Attacker and the other a physical (technically Deino's mixed). Hydreigon can also U-Turn if Haxorus is being a pest.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Stupid Lillipup and its stupid evolutions. What kind of bloody steroids are they on? It's one of the very first pokemon you can catch, on the same lines as Ratatta/Pidgy/Bidoof. You're supposed to suck! Why do you freaks always hit like a mach truck and make my life harder?

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Honestly, the difference in speed is pretty negligible. Deino does have a really high Special Attack, but if we're talking pure numbers, Haxorus has a higher ceiling on his relevant attack stat.

You are right about their roles though.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Stupid Lillipup and its stupid evolutions. What kind of bloody steroids are they on? It's one of the very first pokemon you can catch, on the same lines as Ratatta/Pidgy/Bidoof. You're supposed to suck! Why do you freaks always hit like a mach truck and make my life harder?

It's called catch a fighting type.

Or a Rock type.

Or a Steel type.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576