As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 3-16-11: I just wanted a bagel!

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Graphic Violence
Dark horse for the week, Iceman and Angel is really good in both writing and art, much better than the Jean Grey issue. Googam, spring break, parents just don't understand:

Goom is destroying the city and Iceman and Angel are just trying to buy time until the FF can show up:

xmenia1a.jpg

xmenia1b.jpg

Goom is upset because Googam went to college instead of trying to take over the world:

xmenia1c.jpg

And Thunderbolts #155 was good as always, but the b-plot was much more interesting to me (and Satanna looked a lot different than she did in Heroes for Hire a few months bacl):

tb155b.jpg

tb155c.jpg

tb155d.jpg

I think those guys are just supposed to be space filling villains outside of Gunna, and that Skrull should be dead

TexiKen on

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am pretty sure that is Super-Skrull

so no, he should not.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm surprised Mandrill, the monkey-man that put the ape in rape, is there.

Munch on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I remember Super Skrull was in Nova but never Secret Invasion proper, must have missed him.

Bonus if Parker ties in Walker's time at STARS in dealing with the jailed aliens there.

TexiKen on
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Iceman and Angel was fantastic, as were Thunderbolts and Hulk.

ASM was good but jesus Pete is being delusional, although JJJ is calling him out on it. The new Spider-Armor looks pretty damn cool.

Book of the Skull was kind of cool, if uneventful. Had a nice fight scene in WWII with Steve, Bucky and Namor.

X-Force was disappointing, it was about Wolverine and Psylocke, when my favorite characters are Deadpool and Fantomex who get taken out in one panel and show up at the end of the issue.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Remember that New Avengers arc that was supposed to deal with magic in an approachable way? Thunderbolts did it in 5 pages AND packed in a sweeeet b story.

Although that cover reminds of nico from runaways can we have her on the team

WeedLordVegeta on
    edited March 2011
    Hullis wrote: »
    Remember that New Avengers arc that was supposed to deal with magic in an approachable way? Thunderbolts did it in 5 pages AND packed in a sweeeet b story.

Although that cover reminds of nico from runaways can we have her on the team

I appreciate Parker not doing the translating of Strange's spells like Bendis has been doing for the past year or two. He let Walker show and not tell. And Cage punched stuff too.

TexiKen on
    edited March 2011
    It was, in my opinion, the perfect way to treat magic; a separate but equally powerful force. The other, non-punchy side of the scale.

Also,
    Strange, Cage, and Man-Thing forever.

Parker's Cage is great.

WeedLordVegeta on
    edited March 2011
    Uncanny X-Men Annual #3 was really really good. 30 pages for 4 bucks, Nick Bradshaw's art is great, and the writing is fast and fun, he kind of flips the idea of being in another dimension and runs with it like everyone in the cast has done this before, no big whup. Did I mention the art is great?

xmenua3a.jpg

xmenua3c.jpg

Cyclops finally does a "who has two thumbs and is awesome?" pose.

xmenua3d.jpg

TexiKen on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hullis wrote: »
    Parker's Cage is great.
    Seriously. I never saw the big deal about Bendis's Luke Cage, probably because he was defined largely by his relationship with Jessica Jones, but Parker's completely selling me on him.

Tex already covered Thunderbolts #155 really well, but I liked this little exchange:

Doctor Strange: "The Man-Thing did it! And so naturally... All those arcane defenses and misdirections placed around this valley and Man-Thing passed through them like they weren't there. Like his role of walking the borders between worlds, he stands at the intersection of magic and science. He is the--"

Luke Cage: "Yeah, he's my dawg."

I just loved seeing the no-bullshit Cage, totally cut through Strange's usual long, rambling exposition.

It was also nice to see the design flaws addressed in Juggernaut's helmet. And I'll never get tired of seeing the female inmates catcall the various male heroes.

Also, if you like Thunderbolts, you might consider checking out this week's Captain America and Crossbones. The basic plot is that Crossbones, after being cut from the Thunderbolts, is approached by the government to airdrop into the island nation of Hazar, and kill a teenager. Once there, he discovers the government's used the isolated country to conduct biological weapon tests, and he's there to make sure things go according to plan. Masquerading as a superhero, he gets down to business as only he can.
    2i8i3x5.jpg

rky3y0.jpg

I just love that in the Marvel U, biological weapons include things like werewolf serum. That's awesome. It's nice to see that writer William Harms pulls no punches either, portraying Crossbones as the evil, racist fuck he is.

X-Factor #217; Guido and Monet confront an angry mob, Mayor Jameson is targeted for assassination, and Black Cat does security duty. Also, a hero falls, and nothing will ever be the same.
    X-Factor217-1.jpg

X-Factor217-2.jpg

I always like seeing it shown that Jameson, despite his many flaws, is still a sensible dude with a strong moral compass. Of course, a few pages later Black Cat points out that he's all for stripping the rights from masked superhumans.

REBELS #26 was pretty good too, but nothing really stands out as a, "Fuck yeah!" moment, besides the last page, which I don't want to spoil.

Munch on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Forty cakes is now canon. Superman is improving.

Lux on
    edited March 2011
    Power Girl was pretty great, even though it was mostly interlude.

WeedLordVegeta on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lux wrote: »

Yah, that part made me chuckle. It wasn't the biggest moment, but I thought it was pretty cool.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That's terrible!

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    oh my god that Jameson scene

Antimatter on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I came in here to post "There had better be some fucking Angel and Iceman in here," but I should have known you guys wouldn't let me down.

desc on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is that Dark Beast in the Thunderbolts pic? I know he's got a part in the next X-event, but I wasn't sure what happened with him after Dark X-Men.

Hensler on
    edited March 2011
    Yah, he was on the online voting poll for "who will be the next Thunderbolt?" Looks like they're throwing him in there anyway, which I approve of.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Can there be one kid character who isn't horribly arrogant and insufferable and will learn a lesson about how they need to listen to other people?

Fencingsax on
    edited March 2011
    That would be Gunna.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yes, many of them.

Furu on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Forty cakes? Where?!

Wildcat on
    edited March 2011
    fortycakescanon.jpg

from Scans Daily

TexiKen on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Haha, glorious.

Wildcat on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    All we need now is for Joker to plan a gigantic boner.

Except since we're updating it for modern tastes, he will be talking about an actual boner.

Lux on
  • MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    All we need now is for Joker to plan a gigantic boner.

Except since we're updating it for modern tastes, he will be talking about an actual boner.

Or a political subplot involving John Boehner
    I know it's not how it's pronounced. But it's a comic. It reads however you want!

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Munch wrote: »

REBELS #26 was pretty good too, but nothing really stands out as a, "Fuck yeah!" moment, besides the last page, which I don't want to spoil.

Yea, I don't read much DC anymore, but REBELS continues to be a great book that I look forward to.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    um, WOW. morning internet, have you got a kick today.

Linespider5 on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I remember Super Skrull was in Nova but never Secret Invasion proper, must have missed him.
    He was in the She-Hulk/X-Factor tie-in since his daughter is (was?) Jen's best friend.
    TexiKen wrote: »
    I appreciate Parker not doing the translating of Strange's spells like Bendis has been doing for the past year or two. He let Walker show and not tell. And Cage punched stuff too.

Sounds like a book worth getting in trade.

Crimsondude on