As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D awarded "best box art" so far

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rehab wrote: »
    CygnusZ wrote: »
    In my eyes they both suffer from the exact same problem, no games worth owning on the system.

You must have rather shitty eyesight then. The likes of Nintendo, Capcom, Konami, and Naughty Dog have already presented some really good offerings.

I don't know if it's worth arguing about, it's all just opinions...some people think the Mario Galaxies deserve their scores as the best games of all time, others can't play a Mario game without wanting to punch the guy in his mustachioed face.

For the foreseeable future, the 3DS has OoT, Star Fox, Paper Mario, Mario Kart, a Resident Evil with a neat setting, Metal Gear Solid 3, a bunch of high quality fighting games, Layton, Animal Crossing, Kingdom Hearts...seems decent enough.

NGP just doesn't have enough solid details yet to call. It's like complaining that the 3DS had no games at this time last year. I'm sure it'll have a couple must-haves near launch too.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    wonderpug wrote: »
    virtual boy #2 eh?

600full-nintendo-virtual-boy-cover.jpg[IMG][/img]

I'm actually really hoping they make a 3DS cartridge with a collection of Virtual Boy games.
    I remember Mario Clash being pretty fun

Might make a fun downloadable title! :>

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    In my eyes they both suffer from the exact same problem, no games worth owning on the system.

You must have rather shitty eyesight then. The likes of Nintendo, Capcom, Konami, and Naughty Dog have already presented some really good offerings.

I don't know if it's worth arguing about, it's all just opinions...some people think the Mario Galaxies deserve their scores as the best games of all time, others can't play a Mario game without wanting to punch the guy in his mustachioed face.

For the foreseeable future, the 3DS has OoT, Star Fox, Paper Mario, Mario Kart, a Resident Evil with a neat setting, Metal Gear Solid 3, a bunch of high quality fighting games, Layton, Animal Crossing, Kingdom Hearts...seems decent enough.

NGP just doesn't have enough solid details yet to call. It's like complaining that the 3DS had no games at this time last year. I'm sure it'll have a couple must-haves near launch too.

Opinions sure, but I'm willing enough to make myself sound like a somewhat condescending dick to say that sometimes people just have really terrible opinions. I think we can all agree on that, and thus I also think that there is no need for an argument here as this is simply one of those cases.

When you make one of those blanket statements like "no good games worth owning on X" and don't elaborate whatsoever, you aren't really doing yourself any favors if there have been a ton of games announced that get people immediately excited. Now if you said "the games on X don't justify the price yet" that is one thing, but saying that none of the games we know about so far are going to be worth owning assuming you had either system is another. I can guarantee that at least one of the games you mentioned will be worth owning (which still lacks some of the ones I had in mind) unless something goes horribly horribly wrong.

All list wars shenanagains aside, I can't bring to mind any other system that has shown or announced this many high quality games prior to being available everywhere then the 3DS has. And although I haven't been following the NGP as much I'm sure it has quite a bit that we can well assume will be "worth owning" besides Uncharted already too.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just got back from Best Buy after playing for about 5 minutes. It's pretty impressive. However, even after a couple of minutes, I could feel eye strain and a slight headache. I was adjusting the slider fairly frequently to see the range of 3D, though, so that might be the reason more than just the 3D effect. On the plus side, the strain and headache went away pretty quickly.

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    BiopticBioptic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I can honestly see the 3DS and NGP co-existing as Wii and PS3 do now - as in, there's so little overlap between their games and target demographics I can well imagine them both enjoying success, and the sufficiently devoted owning both. What stopped people owning PSPs wasn't the pricepoint (at least after a couple of years), it was the lack of positive differentiation between it and the DS that many people already owned, and it not reaching a critical threshold of truly desirable games.

The area where I can forsee the most conflict is game pricing. In the UK, the RRP for 3DS games stands at £40, the same as for Wii titles and for the majority of PS3/360 titles - the DS was £30 for reference. In real terms (i.e. shopping online), this is more like 3DS=£30, DS=£25, Wii=£20-30, PS3/360=£20-40. A 3DS game will cost you as much, if not more than a title for any other platform.

But NGP games can follow two pricing strategies - match the 3DS price, or price themselves in the bracket above it (£50, selling for £40), making them by far the most expensive games available. I'd definitely be interested to see a market where the games for both retail at the same price - currently popular DS games sell for far higher than PSP ones despite the lower development cost, but I think the production values and cost that NGP games seem to have will drive 3DS game costs down to a much more reasonable level.

Bioptic on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My local Best Buy didn't have the demo station up yet as of yesterday. Stopped by while I was in the area getting Arby's around the corner from it. Oh well, I still have mine preordered at GameStop.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Does Best Buy or any other website happen to have a store locator with 3DS demos or anything?

Attempted a search just now which just came up with "available in some Best Buy stores" results.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    wonderpug wrote: »
    virtual boy #2 eh?

600full-nintendo-virtual-boy-cover.jpg[IMG][/img]

I'm actually really hoping they make a 3DS cartridge with a collection of Virtual Boy games.
    I remember Mario Clash being pretty fun

Might make a fun downloadable title! :>

Guys, I've been on board with this since the 3DS was announced :)

My list of would-buy Virtual Boy games on a VC or as a collection would be:

Galactic Pinball, Jack Bros, Mario Clash, Mario Tennis, Panic Bomber, Red Alarm, Teleroboxer, Wario Land, and maybe 3D tetris though I never played it apparently some people enjoyed it.

I particularly would love to see Teleroboxer brought back to life on the 3DS in some way shape or form.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Bioptic wrote: »
    But NGP games can follow two pricing strategies - match the 3DS price, or price themselves in the bracket above it (£50, selling for £40), making them by far the most expensive games available. I'd definitely be interested to see a market where the games for both retail at the same price - currently popular DS games sell for far higher than PSP ones despite the lower development cost, but I think the production values and cost that NGP games seem to have will drive 3DS game costs down to a much more reasonable level.
    With the setup they announced where the NGP has no internal storage of its own and the games have 100-200 megs of internal storage each, I can see that driving the price up for individual games, even beyond the increased development resources needed to make PS3-level software.
    slash000 wrote: »

50% of the entire software library. :)

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm curious. has anyone that wears glasses and tested the 3ds had much to say about the combination? is it still visable?

I'm just unsure how less then perfect vision affects the 3d effect.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Maybe Sony wouldn't assume this, but Nintendo would never drop the 3DS's price that quickly. They might have a nice bundle by the time NGP releases but I think even that would be a long shot. They just aren't reactionary like other companies are.

Sony and Microsoft scramble to get motion control into their systems, while Nintendo lazily glances over at Live and PSN and says "eh."

I think a bundle is more realistic than a price drop, and there's plenty of precedent at Nintendo for doing exactly that. If the NGP was really released at $250, it would put Nintendo in the unfamiliar position of selling at the same price as the competition so it may spur Nintendo to act in an unpredictable manner. Nintendo has almost always had a price-point advantage since the N64. I do think the $250 price tag gives Nintendo more play with 3DS pricing than they had with the DS that they intend to take advantage of eventually.

To be honest, I'm not particularly interested in the lineup except for Jiro Ishii's new game. But I also don't think we can say anything one way or the other about the quality of future software. If you love Nintendo, I think the 3DS won't disappoint. I'm basically a fan of visual novels, RPGs, and adventure games what exactly is there to be excited about?
    azith28 wrote: »
    I'm curious. has anyone that wears glasses and tested the 3ds had much to say about the combination? is it still visable?

It was no problem for me, but you should try a unit in person before buying it anyway.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I tried out the 3DS at Best Buy and the 3D is very nice. It took a second for my eyes to adjust and it really felt like my eyes were doing more work to focus which was surprising but I hope you can get used to it.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    weeskweeweeskwee Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    anyone know of any good rpg's coming to 3DS that is not Zelda or Dragon Quest related?
    specifically any square-enix, nippon-ichi, atlus, or aksys games.
    that's about all i buy for my DSi-XL and so far i know of nothing awesome coming to the 3DS.

weeskwee on
    Nintendo Network ID: weeskwee
    XBL Gamertag: weeskwee
    PSN: weeskwee
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Suppose to be a remake of Tales of Abyss which im looking forward to.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    weeskwee wrote: »
    anyone know of any good rpg's coming to 3DS that is not Zelda or Dragon Quest related?
    that's about all i buy for my DSi-XL and so far i know of nothing awesome coming to the 3DS.

There is a new Kingdom Hearts coming. That's the only one I'm aware of from Square-Enix.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Good RPGs and N1? Not anymore.

There's a huge list of in development atlus games that they announced at E3.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm basically a fan of visual novels, RPGs, and adventure games what exactly is there to be excited about?

Tales of the Abyss
    Paper Mario
    Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor Overclocked (Atlus)
    Final Fantasy (working title)
    Harvest Moon 3D (working title)
    Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance
    Fantasy Life (Level-5)
    Mega Man Legends 3
    Etrian Odyssey (working title) (Atlus)
    Eternal Eden
    Class of Heroes 3Dx3D (Atlus)

Shin Megami Tensei is listed three times on upcoming game lists, so it's likely there are several in development for 3DS.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Also surprise surprise, most systems at launch do not have quality RPGs and if they do they are probably upports.

FF IV is a classic example. Those graphics by and large suck for the SNES because it was originally a NES project.

The DS and PS2 which by all accounts have fantastic RPG lineups had terrible launch/year after launch RPGs. PS2 took off after FF X and DS took off after FF III/M&L: PiT.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm basically a fan of visual novels, RPGs, and adventure games what exactly is there to be excited about?

Tales of the Abyss
    Paper Mario
    Fantasy Life (Level-5)
    Mega Man Legends 3
    Eternal Eden

Shin Megami Tensei is listed three times on upcoming game lists, so it's likely there are several in development for 3DS.

I still can't believe we're getting Mega Man Legends 3.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    JaveJave Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There's a brand-new Kingdom Hearts coming for the 3DS, but we don't know when yet. It's definitely NOT a launch window title.

EDIT: Ack! Ninja'd so much!

Jave on
    My Let's Play - Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 (Updated July 29, 2011!)
    (I appreciate all feedback, so take a few minutes to check it out)

Pokemon White: 5371-9705-4895
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8646-1262
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Whoa, when someone mentioned this before, I thought they were joking or dreaming.

http://www.dragonquest.jp/slamori3ds/

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Tales of the Abyss
    Paper Mario
    Fantasy Life (Level-5)
    Mega Man Legends 3
    Eternal Eden

I still can't believe we're getting Mega Man Legends 3.

We may not be. It's up in the air.

http://www.siliconera.com/2011/03/10/the-story-behind-the-mega-man-legends-3-not-being-greenlit/

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah. It's not like the game is actually threatened for any particular reason, it's just not "all systems go" yet.

But it probably still has more chance of coming out and being localized than some of the other RPGs on that list so I figured I'd put it there anyway. :P

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Also surprise surprise, most systems at launch do not have quality RPGs and if they do they are probably upports.

FF IV is a classic example. Those graphics by and large suck for the SNES because it was originally a NES project.

The DS and PS2 which by all accounts have fantastic RPG lineups had terrible launch/year after launch RPGs. PS2 took off after FF X and DS took off after FF III/M&L: PiT.

Huh? I'm pretty sure the NES FFIV never actually went anywhere beyond concepting. There are a few interviews out there with dev team members who confirm this (namely trying to address some mockup screenshots some magazine did, which they confirm to be completely fake and not done by them)

Also, how exactly does FFIV look shitty? It looks perfectly fine for an early SNES game IMO.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    MarioG wrote: »
    I tried out the 3DS at Best Buy and the 3D is very nice. It took a second for my eyes to adjust and it really felt like my eyes were doing more work to focus which was surprising but I hope you can get used to it.

Your eyes will be confused by focusing on the 3D for a little while each time you play. When you look at something on the screen that's closer or farther away, they automatically respond by trying to focus on it, but it doesn't work because everything's on a flat screen, in the same spot in space.

It's a muscle memory thing, so it just takes training. Your eyes learn to "switch modes" after a while and stop trying to focus at all while you're looking at 3D stuff.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm probably one of the few who doesn't pop an instant boner whenever Square Enix, Atlus and Nippon Ichi are mentioned. Call me when Intelligent Systems, Camelot or Game Freak are involved.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So my Best Buy had a display 3DS. It was pretty awesome... The 3D worked really well! Pilotwings was a fun little game.

urahonky on
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    azith28 wrote: »

I've worn glasses since I was like 4 and the 3D effect worked great for me.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    Huh? I'm pretty sure the NES FFIV never actually went anywhere beyond concepting. There are a few interviews out there with dev team members who confirm this (namely trying to address some mockup screenshots some magazine did, which they confirm to be completely fake and not done by them)

Also, how exactly does FFIV look shitty? It looks perfectly fine for an early SNES game IMO.

I'm not judging FF4 as being poor or anything but it's pretty clear that most of the spritework was simply ported over directly from the NES. In fact, a lot of graphics from FF3 are identical or very close, other than there being more colors on the SNES.

The enemies aren't the best example, most of the similar stuff is in the people and towns, but:

GWXPX.png

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I'm not judging FF4 as being poor or anything but it's pretty clear that most of the spritework was simply ported over directly from the NES. In fact, a lot of graphics from FF3 are identical or very close, other than there being more colors on the SNES.

The enemies aren't the best example, most of the similar stuff is in the people and towns, but:

GWXPX.png

Yeah but is that really surprising? Square was still kind of a small company back then. The SNES was new. Makes sense to me that their sprite work wouldn't be a huge leap over what they did on the NES - it's what they were confortable with at the time. Really, if you look at any of the first three games, all of the sprites are really similar to each other. They never really made big leaps back then.

But especially if they wanted to get something out quickly (or quickly for an RPG) to capitalize on the new system, it makes sense they wouldn't diverge too largely from the art style they were used to.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rumored review scores from Official Nintendo Magazine (so take with a grain of salt), courtesy of GameKyo, found by GoNintendo (love how these things go from source -> site A -> site B):
    Super Street Fighter IV 3D - 91%
    Ridge Racer 3D - 87%
    Nintendogs + Cats - 84%
    Pilotwings Resort - 81%
    Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars - 80%
    Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D - 78%
    Asphalt 3D - 70%
    Super Monkey Ball 3D - 70%

pslong9 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788
  • Options
    BoognishBoognish Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My local BestBuy put their 3DS out yesterday. I was pretty disappointed at first. The sweet spot seemed too strict and there was a lot of ghosting and eye-struggling. However, after moving closer to where I'd normally hold my DS, the 3D became clean and crisp with none of the prior issues. It turned out the spot I found at first kind of worked, but wasn't really the optimum viewing distance. They should have two set up with one a foot or two higher like water fountains.

If you walked away unimpressed by the 3D display, make sure you are getting closer to the screen. Sure, it was incredibly uncomfortable to play that way for any length of time, but that's probably the actual distance I would hold it at when it's no longer bolted down.

Boognish on
    3DS: 5026-4424-9805
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Boognish wrote: »
    My local BestBuy put their 3DS out yesterday. I was pretty disappointed at first. The sweet spot seemed too strict and there was a lot of ghosting and eye-struggling. However, after moving closer to where I'd normally hold my DS, the 3D became clean and crisp with none of the prior issues. It turned out the spot I found at first kind of worked, but wasn't really the optimum viewing distance. They should have two set up with one a foot or two higher like water fountains.

If you walked away unimpressed by the 3D display, make sure you are getting closer to the screen. Sure, it was incredibly uncomfortable to play that way for any length of time, but that's probably the actual distance I would hold it at when it's no longer bolted down.

Was it tethered to a stand or something? I'm guessing if you actually hold it in your hand, you'll have it closer to your face anyways.

Warlock82 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Chen wrote: »
    I'm probably one of the few who doesn't pop an instant boner whenever Square Enix, Atlus and Nippon Ichi are mentioned. Call me when Intelligent Systems, Camelot or Game Freak are involved.

Int Sys is involved in Paper Mario, so...ring, ring.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Was it tethered to a stand or something? I'm guessing if you actually hold it in your hand, you'll have it closer to your face anyways.
    yeah, the reason the sweet spot is 10-14 inches is that's where most people hold it. obviously in a tethered situation, that doesn't apply.

Seol on
  • Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Chen wrote: »

Int Sys is involved in Paper Mario, so...ring, ring.
    You can never have too much Intelligent Systems.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Very true.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    BoognishBoognish Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Seol wrote: »

yeah, the reason the sweet spot is 10-14 inches is that's where most people hold it. obviously in a tethered situation, that doesn't apply.
    BestBuy had it bolted down.

Having to play a handheld system that is locked down to three or four feet from the ground is awkward, to say the least. There is no way to make that feel natural, or even comfortable. I started playing standing straight up and slowly bent over until the 3D popped. It was still a couple feet away, which isn't ideal, but it worked. I was too busy being excited about playing it and simultaneously annoyed with it being bolted down to realize that I wasn't at my normal range. Did a sort of half-squat and bent over with my head tilted up to get it closer to my face and then it looked amazing... while I looked completely ridiculous. But it was worth it.

Boognish on
    3DS: 5026-4424-9805
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    slash000 wrote: »

50% of the entire software library. :)

No kidding :P But hey that's a pretty good ratio for a system that was only supported for a short time!

slash000 on
  • Options
    SeruleSerule Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Before FF IV came out, I remember staring at screenshots of it in Nintendo Power, amazed at how good it looked. The background wasn't just a black void!

Serule on