As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pokémon Black and White and THREAD ALL OVER

• AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Or a ghost type?

Adellios on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Most of them have Bite/Crunch.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Catch a Yamask and then laugh when they crunch you and do 1/3 of your health.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
    edited March 2011
    Another good answer, though that thing sucks at killing stuff.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Aegis wrote: »
    Axew's not way better than Deino! Deino's final form is faster and bulkier than Haxorus while one is a Special Attacker and the other a physical (technically Deino's mixed). Hydreigon can also U-Turn if Haxorus is being a pest.
    That'd be true if there weren't a shit ton of fighting types in this game. And Deino isn't that much faster. Considering Axew learns Dragon Dance which lets it outspeed opponents several levels higher, while Deino has to be content with Work Up, it's not difficult to discern who's the better dragon. Slap a lum berry on Haxorus and it can solo the single train no problem. G'damn I love my Haxorus!

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Chen wrote: »
    Axew's not way better than Deino! Deino's final form is faster and bulkier than Haxorus while one is a Special Attacker and the other a physical (technically Deino's mixed). Hydreigon can also U-Turn if Haxorus is being a pest.
    That'd be true if there weren't a shit ton of fighting types in this game. And Deino isn't that much faster. Considering Axew learns Dragon Dance which lets it outspeed opponents several levels higher, while Deino has to be content with Work Up, it's not difficult to discern who's the better dragon. Slap a lum berry on Haxorus and it can solo the single train no problem. G'damn I love my Haxorus!

This is actually specifically why I'm using a haxorus even though asthetically I like hydregion better. There is just too much risk using a dark type atm with pretty much every team having a horrifyingly powerful fighting type.

Edit: Well, that and that I'm already dealing with that bullshit on scrafty. Dealing with one dark is enough.

Mattakuevan on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Stupid Lillipup and its stupid evolutions. What kind of bloody steroids are they on? It's one of the very first pokemon you can catch, on the same lines as Ratatta/Pidgy/Bidoof. You're supposed to suck! Why do you freaks always hit like a mach truck and make my life harder?

It's called catch a fighting type.

Or a Rock type.

Or a Steel type.

I've no problem killing the mutts. Just that they always take me by surprise because I constantly underestimate the bastards.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    KiTA wrote: »
    Stay in your damned ball, Tornadus!

Grr. There a trick to this I'm not catching on to? Or is it just a series of trying to catch a rainstorm and hope that you get the 0.4% catch rate to fire off?

Blarg. There doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to his appearances. Anyone have any tips?

Is it time based, or is it number of fights? Or switching between zones? The board says he's in zone 11, but it's sunny out, walk around suddenly rain, fight something that's not him, suddenly dry again and the board says he's across the planet.

I hate to waste a master ball on this twit, but it's getting tempting...

KiTA on
  • AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Used to always see him when I went to the daycare in the morning. Could try just cycling between two routes till a rainstorm pops up.

EDIT: You need a pokemon with mean look, or you are gonna go nuts.

EDIT: Repels too.

Adellios on
  • MaytagMaytag Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Pff, Hydreigon is such a badass that it oneshots every fighting type but Throh. Even if they had mach punch, it doesn't oneshot Hydreigon. I've been hit with non-stab focus blasts and 120 power revenges and it took those like a champ too.

Maytag on
    3DS: 1392 - 5070 - 7853
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

You don't use Hydreigon to kill fighting types. You use Hydreigon to kill everything else.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    If that's true, you use Haxorus to kill everything.

Vanguard on
    edited March 2011
    Adellios wrote: »
    Used to always see him when I went to the daycare in the morning. Could try just cycling between two routes till a rainstorm pops up.

Don't have mean look. Does he ignore repels?

KiTA on
    edited March 2011
    I see Hydreigon having a much better and easier time dealing with other dragons and ice types than Haxorus.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Adellios wrote: »

Don't have mean look. Does he ignore repels?

Repels work by repelling all random pokemon fights that are below your lead poke's level. So the trick with roaming legendaries is you use a lead pokemon with a level high enough to avoid the random chaff, but still lower than the legendary. That way, it's the only one that shows up in the grass.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited March 2011
    Fucking random trainers and their Riolu using Final Gambit :(

Aegis on
    Characters
    edited March 2011
    Hydreigon is also weak to bug which, surprise surprise, are also a fuckton of, and opposed to other games, bugs are actually good and bloody fast in this game!

Try Haxorus on the single train with the moves Outrage/Earthquake/Taunt/Dragon Dance holding a lum berry. DD on the first turn (or in rare cases Taunt) and Outrage everything into oblivion. It's like taking candy from a baby!

I use Hydreigon on the same team and while it is a great revenge killer, it cannot kill an entire opposing team without suffering damage and risking death. The special attack drop from Draco Meteor is especially a problem to complete a sweep.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
  • StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Can someone loan me a Ditto with a Modest nature? I have one pokemon left for my team to breed and I can't seem to catch a Modest Ditto at all

Stragint on
    PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    you know what's really cool? digging through your boxes and finding neat stuff you forgot you had

hello torkoal, whose only real job is to drop stealth rock and explode. someday there will be enough turtles for a team of them

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
    edited March 2011
    I occasionally dig through my boxes to find out the pokemon I caught weeks ago was carrying a sellable item. YOINK.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Supposedly, Haxorus is worse than Hydreigon simply because it is outclassed by Garchomp. Garchomp doesn't learn dragon dance, and has lower attack, but STAB earthquake is no joke, it outspeeds base 100s without dancing, and it actually has a way to deal with Skarmory.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Re: The Hydregion/Haxorus debate:

The Dark typing is a curse rather than a blessing. There's what, two Dark types worth using defensively? And those two have great sub-typing (Spiritomb) or access to a very good movepool to keep them alive (Mandibuzz). They're glass cannons. Enter Hydregion, who is part-Dragon, a type known historically to be bulky and powerful, and part-Dark, a type most associated with good, strong attacks on fast, fragile speedsters with a severe type weakness due to the state of the metagame, and now with the resurgence of Bug-types in Gen V it has two very credible threats in typing.

I'm firmly in Haxorus camp. It can do its job so well with a single DD into Outrage.

Edit: Generic disclaimer that it's far too early to tell how the metagame will evolve, yadda yadda yadda. We don't even know if Skarmory will stick around (although I think it will, and if so it could wall Haxorus, who's only real way of taking down Skarmory is *snrk* Incinerate).

Edit the second: We need a fucking chatroom or irc, guys. :(

Dunxco on
    edited March 2011
    No, the real reason Smogon doesn't like Haxorus is that its not as good as Rayquaza. No shit, sherlock.

They seem to ignore one universal truth though.

Mold Breaker is an INSANELY USEFUL ABILITY.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Why would they care if its not as good as Rayquaza? We're not adding it to the OU metagame, are we?

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
    edited March 2011
    There is also that.

Mold Breaker > Levitate.
    Why would they care if its not as good as Rayquaza? We're not adding it to the OU metagame, are we?

We don't know. There's always a tier list shuffle every generation. Some Pokés go up, some go down, some stay put. Rayquaza coming down, however, is extremely unlikely, imo.

Dunxco on
  • VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    My Haxorus is Adamant with Mold Breaker. I haven't taken on the E4 yet, but I'm pretty sure he'll be useful for it.

Vanguard on
    edited March 2011
    Supposedly, Haxorus is worse than Hydreigon simply because it is outclassed by Garchomp. Garchomp doesn't learn dragon dance, and has lower attack, but STAB earthquake is no joke, it outspeeds base 100s without dancing, and it actually has a way to deal with Skarmory.
    Skarmory is 2HKO'd by Haxorus' massive Outrage after one Swords Dance actually. awesomeu.gif

Hydreigon can't OHKO Skarmory anyway because lol Sturdy.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited March 2011
    Chen why you not using the Ducklett trollface, man?

250px-Ducklett_anime.png

New gripe: Why the hell doesn't Mandibuzz learn Foul Play? That would be a perfect move for it on a defensive set.

Dunxco on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't understand foul play. It says power varies with opponents attack but then it has a listed power of 95. Moves like that (grass knot, gyro ball etc) usually don't list a set power.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rami wrote: »
    I don't understand foul play. It says power varies with opponents attack but then it has a listed power of 95. Moves like that (grass knot, gyro ball etc) usually don't list a set power.

It uses your opponents attack instead of yours when calculating damage

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

It uses your opponents attack instead of yours when calculating damage

That..seems kinda bad then. At least for Krook.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited March 2011

Lemme break down Foul Play for you:

Your Pokémon has 100 attack stat. It's not great, but it's not bad either. Moves like Tackle, Aerial Ace, U-Turn etc are based off of the attacks natural damage, and your attack power in how much damage they can infict.

Your opponent, however, has 200 attack stat.

Foul Play causes damage based on a combination of your opponents' meaty 200 attack stat, and the 95 base damage.

You are essentially using their own power against them.

Dunxco on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    HerrCron wrote: »
    That reminds me, when does the Victini event end?

April 10th for America, April 22nd for Europe.

So around the latter for Australia, that's plenty of time, thanks.
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Alright, Beartic, all your training has prepared you for the final gym, let's do this.

Although Icicle Crash only having 10 PP and 90% accuracy? Ouch.

He one-shotted every pokemon in the last gym for me. I also had Blizzard by that time. He's surprisingly awesome. I taught him Bulldoze for some better type coverage too.

To be honest he's exactly as awesome as a polar bear with an ice beard should be :P

But yeah, he has good type coverage, which I found out when I saw he could learn Surf.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited March 2011
    I didn't plan on using him post-8th Gym, but I might. He filled a pretty nice gap in that he beats Dragons and Plants like you wouldn't believe it.

Vanguard on
    edited March 2011
    I was going to make a list of Pokémon people should consider using for in game purposes and stick it in the first post, but I scrapped the idea, want to know why?

Just about everything in this game is awesome and totally usable.

I can only think of a bare handful of mons that I think aren't worth anyone's time; Basculin, Swanna, and Swoobat are the only ones that come to mind, and even then Swoobat has uses considering how many bugs and fighters there are.

Shit that you'd think would be terrible like the various bugs, the ice cream cone, and fuck, even the various normal types they always throw at you are perfectly fine.

Xenogears of Bore on
    edited March 2011
    Just about everything in this game is awesome and totally usable.

I can only think of a bare handful of mons that I think aren't worth anyone's time; Basculin, Swanna, and Swoobat are the only ones that come to mind, and even then Swoobat has uses considering how many bugs and fighters there are.

This. Definitely this. And even those 3 could be useful. Swanna is a gym leader mon, so has to at least be interesting, and Swootbat's type setup could sweep the E4, if given half a chance. (I think Sigiliph does just that, doesn't he?)

In my playthrough of White (which I'm going to start shortly) I'm going to specifically avoid using the mons I used this time, just cause. And honestly, I don't think I'll be missing out.

KiTA on
    edited March 2011
    I think that's a good decision, to make each Pokemon more utilitarian. It also helps that 90% look awesome.

Vanguard on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Swanna's a good HM slave, like Pelipper 2.0. It does learn Hurricane, though, which I've been on the receiving end of several times (although most often from the evolved Cottonee, weirdly). Hurts like a bitch, and the confusion chance is annoyingly high. Then again, the last time I went up against an AI with Hurricane it actually whiffed three times in a row (no Rain Dance, obv).

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm also really glad that types that aren't water are given a fair chance, it's good to see more Ghost and Dragon types and what have you.

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited March 2011
    Whimiscott is amazingly annoying.

Doesn't even really need Prankster considering how fast it is...but you can never be too safe. It's only real problem is a lack of a better sleep than Grasswhistle.

Xenogears of Bore on