As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

IRC Book Club

EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in PAX Archive
So it occurred to me in a stroke of brilliance today that a lot of PAXers are avid readers and, therefore, we should have a book club.

So I invite you bibliophiles to join us in IRC channel #paforums_bookclub for our monthly book discussion or just to chat about whatever you are reading. For the month of January we will be reading Barry Hughart's Bridge of Birds with the discussion set for February 19th. The book of the month will be chosen by someone new each time and there are no limits as to the kinds of books that we will read. Sci-fi, western, non-fiction, young adult, it's all up for grabs.

If you are unfamiliar with IRC I recommend reading this post for some good information on getting signed in. Also, I feel that, as a future librarian, I must remind people that, if they don't want to buy the book, they can always go to their local library because libraries are AWESOME!

Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
EruditeAphrodite on

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    as you already know, I'm so in! should be fun :)

zerzhul on
  • MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'll be rocking the kasbah with this! :D

MelesMeles on
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I like to read. Booo not on kindle though.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • Cerrato0426Cerrato0426 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cool I'll go to the library tomorrow. I suppose I need to get reaquainted with IRC now.

Cerrato0426 on
  • TwinkieTwinkie Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    This is a spectacular idea! I will get myself to the biblioteca today. :D Is there a particular time we've decided on for said discussions?

Twinkie on
  • Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think I've missed the boat on having time to read the January book, but I'm totally in for the next one. :)

Jenny_Spaghetti on
  • EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Haha, I realized I never posted a time. I'd like to start the discussion at noon mountain time but will be around all day. I have some questions but I hope people bring an idea of what they would like to talk about. Also, have a book in mind for next month in case you get picked!!

EruditeAphrodite on
    Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
  • j0z1ej0z1e Shuffles the FailNinja Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Also IN!

j0z1e on
    PAX East '12: Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane [ ] Time Off [N/A yet]
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd like to apologize for not being able to read this month's book yet.

I'll use the working 60-75 hours a week and doing tons of stuff for PAX as my main excuses but I don't have a good reason as to why I didn't read it.

Rdr on
  • EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Okay, next month's book is A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. Discussion will be on March 19th at noon Mountain time. Hope to see some people there!

EruditeAphrodite on
  • chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I <3 Bill Bryson and I never managed to pick this one up... and I can even find it here! SQUEAL!

chaosisorder on
  • jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This sounds awesome. I'll try to get in on it, although I tend to work Saturdays. :(

juju on
    PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
    edited March 2011
    Okay, next month's book is A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. Discussion will be on March 19th at noon Mountain time. Hope to see some people there!

A post-pax reminder for the March 19th Book Club discussion.

Also, per Eep, the time will be noon PACIFIC.

zerzhul on
  • Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So what you're saying is, I should read the book soon?

(Honestly, I picked it up a month ago but I've been busy.)
    zerzhul wrote: »

A post-pax reminder for the March 19th Book Club discussion.

Also, per Eep, the time will be noon PACIFIC.

Jenny_Spaghetti on
    edited March 2011
    The book for April will be Timequake, by Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Discussion is set tentatively for April 16th, noon Pacific.

zerzhul on
    edited April 2011
    Reminder for the Timequake discussion in the #paforums_bookclub IRC room tomorrow at noon Pacific time!

Feel free to drop in even if you haven't read the book, we can always use new people and it might get you interested in joining for the next discussion!

zerzhul on
  • chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Next moth's fare:

Zeitoun, by Dave Eggers

/me is coming armed with caffeine for 3am book discussions next time ;)

chaosisorder on
    edited April 2011
    Tentative date/time is May 14th, Noon Pacific. :)

zerzhul on
    edited April 2011
    Yay! Kindle version. Maybe I'll even read this one. ;)

Jenny_Spaghetti on
    edited April 2011
    After you finish Zeitoun, read this for a kind of update on where New Orleans is now :P

http://www.newstatesman.com/north-america/2011/04/orleans-city-jail-police

chaosisorder on
    edited May 2011
    book club reminder! Zeitoun by Dave Eggers, May 14th noon pacific

zerzhul on