As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pokémon Black and White and THREAD ALL OVER

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm also really glad that types that aren't water are given a fair chance, it's good to see more Ghost and Dragon types and what have you.

Yea, I'm liking the ghost types this gen. Almost tempted to put Cofagrigus and Chandelure on my team but I'm not sure I'd like stacking two ghosts.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Aegis wrote: »
    I'm also really glad that types that aren't water are given a fair chance, it's good to see more Ghost and Dragon types and what have you.

Yea, I'm liking the ghost types this gen. Almost tempted to put Cofagrigus and Chandelure on my team but I'm not sure I'd like stacking two ghosts.

I was thinking of making an all-ghost team, until Shauntal's second team was almost the exact team I was thinking of assembling. :P

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Vyolynce wrote: »

I was thinking of making an all-ghost team, until Shauntal's second team was almost the exact team I was thinking of assembling. :P

I have a hard-on for Ghost/Psychic/Dark teams, but so far this generation I've deliberately resisted the urge and made myself go with a balanced team.

I did have a thought for a potential Gym Leader team for PA though: Multi-Headed Master. A team with pokemon like: Hydreigon, Girafagig, Dugtrio, Dodrio. Kind of blanking on the last two spots though. Surprisingly mixed type too!

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    AdelliosAdellios Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I did have a thought for a potential Gym Leader team for PA though: Multi-Headed Master. A team with pokemon like: Hydreigon, Girafagig, Dugtrio, Dodrio. Kind of blanking on the last two spots though. Surprisingly mixed type too!

Exeggutor? Maybe Kangaskhan since it has two heads on the sprite.. Oh and Vanilluxe.

Adellios on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Adellios wrote: »

Exeggutor? Maybe Kangaskhan since it has two heads on the sprite.. Oh and Vanilluxe.

I forgot about Exeggutor :(

Oh hey you're right, Vanilluxe does have two heads.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Weezing.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mawile. Weezing. Exeggutor.

Goooo team!

Dunxco on
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Still waiting for that Mawile evolution GF. So much potential.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Jesus, Mawile is terrifying.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh wow, these check gates before Victory Road sure are nice.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I'm told Pokemon White/Black are WPA compatible with a DSi XL. I have one of those but it seems a little...intermittent when I try that. It works perfectly in WEP. Any configuration suggestions/experience?

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Finally got to Chargestone Cave and got my Joltik. I'm s excited about this little bugger.

Also HOLY SHIT this Lucky Egg thing is amazing. My Joltik is leveling like craaaaaazy. Way better than Exp Share.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    So I'm told Pokemon White/Black are WPA compatible with a DSi XL. I have one of those but it seems a little...intermittent when I try that. It works perfectly in WEP. Any configuration suggestions/experience?

Honestly, I've had no problems with WPA and my DSiXL. It's a good thing, too. My housemates won't let me set one of the wireless routers to WEP anymore.

Can't help on the config stuff, but the official Nintendo site has a bunch of info on it about that.

Kay on
    ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Omeks wrote: »
    Finally got to Chargestone Cave and got my Joltik. I'm s excited about this little bugger.

Also HOLY SHIT this Lucky Egg thing is amazing. My Joltik is leveling like craaaaaazy. Way better than Exp Share.

I'm just glad they just give you one this time around rather then searching Chanseys for it. Although the new EXP system has been pretty handy when I bring new Pokemon into my team.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    As soon as I beat the elite four I will breed me a marvelous joltik. It will be my first competitive poke.

Does anyone have numbers on electro ball? If it's similar to gyro ball, I will probably use it over thunder.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    DrDinosaurDrDinosaur Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Went to check her second team, had totally forgotten about Driftblim.
    But the three new multityped ghosts introduced are pretty awesome. So now you could have a Fire, Water, Electric, Bug, Flying, Ground, Ice, or Dark ghost?

DrDinosaur on
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    As soon as I beat the elite four I will breed me a marvelous joltik. It will be my first competitive poke.

Does anyone have numbers on electro ball? If it's similar to gyro ball, I will probably use it over thunder.

Just thought I'd jump in on this: One of Joltik's Abilities is CompoundEyes, a 30% boost to accuracy. This boosts Thunder's normally lacklustre 70 accuracy to 91. I'd strongly suggest going with CompoundEyes Thunder Joltik.

The numbers are:

150 base power, if target's speed is lower or equal to ¼ (25%) of user's speed.
    120 base power, if target's speed is greater than ¼ (25%) of user's speed and lower or equal to ⅓ (33%) of user's speed.
    80 base power, if target's speed is greater than ⅓ (33%) of user's speed and lower or equal to ½ (50%) of user's speed.
    60 base power, if target's speed is greater than ½ (50%) of user's speed.

Personally I'd rather go CompoundEyes - Thunder/Volt Switch/Bug Buzz/Energy Ball.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yea, Joltik is made for Thunder with Compound Eyes.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I found the numbers on smogon. It's not worth it unless you paralyze them, otherwise it's no better than thunderbolt. Thunder abuse it is.

edit: beat me good

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Modest or Timid for Joltik, do you think?

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Mmm...he's pretty fast as is. I was going Modest on my own, personally.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fuck yeah, my plasters are gone. RNGed Suicune in HP Grass and Electric versions. Now I just have to wait until I have some money to buy White.

RockinX on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Is the RNG known for B/W already? If so, link me please.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I believe so, there were some posts in the SA thread about some guys doing RNG stuff, but I don't have it off hand.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I would run timid joltik. My usual rule of thumb is to boost the higest stat because the return is the greatest. There are exceptions, like blissey.

thunder helps make up for lack of offensive power. he has good offensive coverage.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That looks even more ridiculously complicated than gen 4's RNG, which I couldn't even figure out beyond egg nature manipulation

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It doesn't look encouraging. But spending a bunch of time working this shit out means saving a ton of time catching/breeding later on.

Rami on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    That looks even more ridiculously complicated than gen 4's RNG, which I couldn't even figure out beyond egg nature manipulation

Wait for non-C-Gear abuse to become cracked on non-Japanese carts. It's far easier.

RockinX on
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    KungFu, I have all that stuff you want ready to go. I'll be around for an hour at most.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hrmm. All these new dudes, I don't know what else to train besides my Pignite and Simisage. I have a Munna for Yawn, but it's too slow to be useful otherwise.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Woo. Got a Tepig off GTS in trade for one of the Pseudo-Legendaries. And then accidentally got a second one for the silly snowflake pokemon -- couldn't get back in and undo that offer (Error code 13274) in time. Ah well, up next is Snivy for second Tepig, apparently.

Current list until I finish the Unova Pokedex:
    Snivy
    Archen
    Frillish
    Alomomola
    Axew
    Rufflet
    Larvesta
    Cobalion
    Terrakion
    Virizion
    Tornadus
    Thundurus
    Zekrom
    Landorus
    Kyurem

Then it's just a matter of abusing the 2 EXP Shares I have and evolving everything.

Edit: Best idea ever: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/989552-pokemon-black-version/58475150

(tl;dr: Guy hacked a few of those unobtainable-because-of-level Pokemon into his team and ran through trading them on the GTS in response to the players trying to clog the GTS up.)

KiTA on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Stupid Axew and not having a male. Guess you get to spend some time with a Deino until I can get a male and then mass breed at the much preferred 50% egg chance.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Woo, got a Cyndaquil off the GTS.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gonna pick this up tomorrow. Any reason I shouldn't grab White?

troublebrewing on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Gonna pick this up tomorrow. Any reason I shouldn't grab White?

If you like monsters with their phalluses out, get Black. Otherwise get White.

RockinX on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    KiTA wrote: »
    (tl;dr: Guy hacked a few of those unobtainable-because-of-level Pokemon into his team and ran through trading them on the GTS in response to the players trying to clog the GTS up.)

Should have taken it a step further. 0 IVs on everything, worst nature possible, etc.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Joltik breeding almost gave me a headache. First batch of 15: 2 eggs that ended up Modest and Compound Eyes. TWO! Thank gods that the first of the bunch was relatively superior with a 30 Special Attack and 26 Speed. No way was I running another batch without finding some Tylenol.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Yay! Caught Thundurus on my fifth encounter with a dusk ball.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pata wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »

Should have taken it a step further. 0 IVs on everything, worst nature possible, etc.

Why do people clog the GTS? Are they just asses, or are they doing it for a reason? Soul Silver trading is super bad because of it.

MonkeyConQueso on
    PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter