As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Halo Reach || Daily Challenge: Post in The New Thread, This One Is Done

• DarisDaris Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just solo the campaign when I'm looking to dick around. Can't stand having to share targets.

Daris on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Daris wrote: »
    I just solo the campaign when I'm looking to dick around. Can't stand having to share targets.

But it's fun to play a gametype where I can actually have some sort of advantage and not to mention that someday I'd like to get all the missions completed in Legendary Co-Op.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
    edited March 2011
    Ugh, those missions are a pain. I tried the nightfall on legendary without dying... got killed right at the end by a surprise after a looooonnnngggg time. Haven't touched one of those since without pals.

Daris on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If cheese it the way one does for LASO does it not count?

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Kinda along with that- can't you just leave skulls off, get to the very end, save and quit, then reload with skulls on to get the challenge?

NeuralFizz on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Why can't we have Unearthed as a proper MP map too?

Mechanical on
  • JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    NeuralFizz wrote: »

Kinda along with that- can't you just leave skulls off, get to the very end, save and quit, then reload with skulls on to get the challenge?

I believe turning skulls on or off clears your progress in a level.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    It would be amusing to have an achievement called cheese it. You have to clear a level in under x amount of time.

Daris on
    edited March 2011
    Hoping on now to kill some folk if anyone wants to join in. Fair warning, I don't have the maps packs.
    GT = Tofystedeth

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Mechanical wrote: »

Would require a completely separate .map for MP Unearthed. Jeremiah answered this question as basically "they would have to completely remake the map from the ground up, and would take as much time as making the original map"

FyreWulff on
    edited March 2011
    Hoping on now to kill some folk if anyone wants to join in. Fair warning, I don't have the maps packs.
    GT = Tofystedeth

Adding you in 10-15 minutes.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited March 2011
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Would require a completely separate .map for MP Unearthed. Jeremiah answered this question as basically "they would have to completely remake the map from the ground up, and would take as much time as making the original map"

Redoing a bunch of geometry for good MP balance, sure, but I have a hard time believing that a carbon copy would be that difficult.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • BEARDBEARD Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    maybe making maps for halo is just that unintuitive and stupid

BEARD on
  • hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think it's more like a super-powerful forge and thus a little harder to work with on that level.

hailthefish on
    edited March 2011
    So a cousin of mine is offering me his old chatpad since he got a new one to match his new Black 360...debating about whether I want it or not.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is it free?

If not, just get a cheap USB keyboard.

hailthefish on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Rhetorical question. I'm aware. I just like it.

Mechanical on
    edited March 2011
    Is it free?

If not, just get a cheap USB keyboard.

Yeah, I think he's just giving it away.

The problem I'm facing is I just don't see using the damn thing all too often.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited March 2011
    I'm playing Winter for the daily challenge tied to it...I could have sworn I just saw a cloaked elite running away at the beginning of the stage. Was I seeing things?

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited March 2011
    Nope. If you kill him, he drops a log tablet or whatever they're called.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That Elite only appears on legendary, which may be why you haven't noticed him before.

Arteen on
    edited March 2011
    Jesuits wrote: »

Redoing a bunch of geometry for good MP balance, sure, but I have a hard time believing that a carbon copy would be that difficult.

It really is. It's just the way the Halo engine works.

FyreWulff on
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

It wouldn't be difficult to make, it would just be treated as a completely separate map.

Arteen on
    edited March 2011
    Holy god I'm terrible at grifball. I can't judge how far the hammer's reach is at all.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    edited March 2011
    Arteen wrote: »

It wouldn't be difficult to make, it would just be treated as a completely separate map.

The only thing they could bring over would be the texture assets. It'd have to be completely remodeled for performance reasons and simplified to run in 4 player splitscreen. They'd have to remove all the Firefight specific objects and put in the multiplayer base level objects, then do all that safety testing for as long as the original map.

You'd have people bitching that the multiplayer version "looks worse" or is different even if you had to look closely at everything to figure that out, they'd bitch about it being made for two modes instead of just one like people did for the disc maps, etc etc. It's possible, sure. Worth the time? That's questionable.

FyreWulff on
    edited March 2011
    Basically what they should do with the next Halo is hook into XNA and let Creator's Club subscribers compile maps and gametypes that they can publish to Marketplace and then play in customs.

FyreWulff on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    For the record, grifball can go fuck itself. I hate that playlist with a passion now.

*edit*

the fact that bungie decided to go away from a map editor is pretty lame. I mean forge is like 50% there. Why do they let it be incomplete?

Viscountalpha on
    edited March 2011
    Time and money. They said it was possible, but the rest of the game has vastly more priority than Forge did, according to one of the programmers. There was a bunch of Forge features cut from Reach due to time constraints.

It at least gives 343 an actual improvement they can implement if they are up to the task of a Far Cry-style level editor. But then again, Forge does have strengths over Far Cry and Timesplitters map making, while TS has advantages in certain ways over Forge/Far Cry, and Far Cry does things better than TS/Forge..

FyreWulff on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That's my point though. Break it off. Leave forge in the game and make a separate map editor for more detailed work. Price it 30-40$ and people would buy it.

Viscountalpha on
    edited March 2011
    After the shitacular Halo 2 Vista editor, I'm not sure I want Microsoft in charge of PC map editors

FyreWulff on
    edited March 2011
    On a sliding scale of terribleness, How bad was it? (-100 to 100)

Viscountalpha on
  • jimbo034jimbo034 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    so what ever happened to the new helmets in some of the defiant screens?

jimbo034 on
    edited March 2011
    Late Night Halo featuring Evil Badman going on right now. Send message to "FyreWulff" for inv

FyreWulff on
    edited March 2011
    If I get the job I interviewed for tuesday I might end up only being able to late night halo, as it's a 3rd shift job. Good to see there're some folks here on something like that schedule. Also thanks maximumzero for helping me mostly pwn some mostly noobs.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    I've devised a strategy for Highlands Territories. We pulled it off pretty well, but I'd like to attempt it with a full party of 6 people in on the plan..

Boring Strategic Talk Warning

Essentially, a gamble that uses the 400% cap speed when you have 4 teammates in a territory.

Offense opens up by sending 2 people on a goose and two people on a hog. Everyone jumps out at territory 3, and it's capped within 7 seconds of everyone getting in it.

We tried this and pulled it off (not without the other team porting through, and chucking a grenade and doing some damage, though). We then quickly capped 4 and then 1. We could have probably mopped up the rest of the territories but our random (a sniper) was too busy being a dumbass and trying to snipe at 5 from the offense base.. .which made us spawn all the way back near him, so we couldn't really effectively mount an offense on 5 and had to settle with just winning by one point.

I think ideally we'd have 5 rushers - two goose, 3 in hog. the turret stays in the hog and covers 3 in the direction of 5. The last person goes up to laser and throws grenades down onto defense's porter exit to stall them out.

I start getting giddy when I think of strats for an 8 man team..

Let's call them Team A and B, each with four people.

I'm thinking we could do the T3 rush with the A team. B team ports through from base and caps T1 while covering cross-map for the T3 cappers. Once T1 and T3 are capped quickly, the A team moves to Pelican to cap T4 while B team moves to motorpool porter, ports to laser, and cleans out T2 / covers A and caps T2. Then A attacks T5 from the left while B attacks T5 from the right.

After wiping out the defense team, A would get up on the defense base so that anyone that dies spawns next to T5 while forcing the other team to spawn on the other side of the map. B goes into cap T5 quickly and ends the round. The cap multiplier maxes out at 4 people so there's no reason to dump the entire team into 5 for an easy 'jaro.

The important thing is that in the current configuration of Highlands, we do NOT leave 3 as the last territory to get. It needs to be the first or second one. It's just way too open and becomes a shooting gallery if left for last. If the other team takes a long time to set up, the rush for 3 at the start is a guaranteed cap - they have a window of about ~10 seconds to engage us at 3, otherwise they'll lose it.

1 is a guaranteed cap, 2 is 95% guaranteed.

FyreWulff on
    edited March 2011
    If I get the job I interviewed for tuesday I might end up only being able to late night halo, as it's a 3rd shift job. Good to see there're some folks here on something like that schedule. Also thanks maximumzero for helping me mostly pwn some mostly noobs.

My pleasure. I can honestly say I've gotten better at this game in the last 9 months or so. Back when I first picked up Halo 3 I was absolutely terrible at multiplayer. Alot of "Wait, I shot you more why aren't you dead?" moments.

That being said, anyone here own the Xbox 360 wireless headset? I'm considering picking one up but I'm wondering if they're just as terrible as the Play & Charge kits. (I.E. works for about a month)

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I had a bizarre glitch on SWAT Magnums last night. Was just doing my usual thing of running at a guy going BANG BANG BANG, when suddenly my pistol disappears from my hand, and the reticle becomes the "you have no weapons" little x. I then died.

Watching the clip of it, in one frame everything's fine, then the next one my left hand's folded back on itself, right hand's pointing 'over there somewhere', and the gun's about a foot behind me. Weird.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
    edited March 2011
    tl;dr my previous post

U0kzW.jpg

FyreWulff on
    edited March 2011
    darleysam wrote: »
    I had a bizarre glitch on SWAT Magnums last night. Was just doing my usual thing of running at a guy going BANG BANG BANG, when suddenly my pistol disappears from my hand, and the reticle becomes the "you have no weapons" little x. I then died.

Watching the clip of it, in one frame everything's fine, then the next one my left hand's folded back on itself, right hand's pointing 'over there somewhere', and the gun's about a foot behind me. Weird.

Last night while doing slayer on Sword Base, when I died an armor lock pickup appeared sticking out of my body as I crumpled. I wonder if that would show up in a replay.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've devised a strategy for Highlands Territories. We pulled it off pretty well, but I'd like to attempt it with a full party of 6 people in on the plan..

Boring Strategic Talk Warning

Essentially, a gamble that uses the 400% cap speed when you have 4 teammates in a territory.

Offense opens up by sending 2 people on a goose and two people on a hog. Everyone jumps out at territory 3, and it's capped within 7 seconds of everyone getting in it.

We tried this and pulled it off (not without the other team porting through, and chucking a grenade and doing some damage, though). We then quickly capped 4 and then 1. We could have probably mopped up the rest of the territories but our random (a sniper) was too busy being a dumbass and trying to snipe at 5 from the offense base.. .which made us spawn all the way back near him, so we couldn't really effectively mount an offense on 5 and had to settle with just winning by one point.

I think ideally we'd have 5 rushers - two goose, 3 in hog. the turret stays in the hog and covers 3 in the direction of 5. The last person goes up to laser and throws grenades down onto defense's porter exit to stall them out.

I start getting giddy when I think of strats for an 8 man team..

Let's call them Team A and B, each with four people.

I'm thinking we could do the T3 rush with the A team. B team ports through from base and caps T1 while covering cross-map for the T3 cappers. Once T1 and T3 are capped quickly, the A team moves to Pelican to cap T4 while B team moves to motorpool porter, ports to laser, and cleans out T2 / covers A and caps T2. Then A attacks T5 from the left while B attacks T5 from the right.

After wiping out the defense team, A would get up on the defense base so that anyone that dies spawns next to T5 while forcing the other team to spawn on the other side of the map. B goes into cap T5 quickly and ends the round. The cap multiplier maxes out at 4 people so there's no reason to dump the entire team into 5 for an easy 'jaro.

The important thing is that in the current configuration of Highlands, we do NOT leave 3 as the last territory to get. It needs to be the first or second one. It's just way too open and becomes a shooting gallery if left for last. If the other team takes a long time to set up, the rush for 3 at the start is a guaranteed cap - they have a window of about ~10 seconds to engage us at 3, otherwise they'll lose it.

1 is a guaranteed cap, 2 is 95% guaranteed.

It's this above all else that makes me excited to play the new maps with you guys. We never bothered with anything like this in Reach, even for Spire One Flag, which falls apart easily if you don't have a plan. My favourite part of Halo 3 was having these ideas and executing them in-game.

Of course, Invasion allows for this, but that's more of an on-the-fly strategy that tickles a different nipple.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!