As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Comic Book Questions Thread International. Of America.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You need to track down the John Ostrander Martian Manhunter series
    This, a thousand times. It does a great job portraying the many facets to J'onn's character; he's a hardboiled detective, a space-faring adventurer, a manga-influenced hero in Japan, South America's most beloved champion, a member of failed super-team The Justice Experience, and a housecat. It also gives the character a fitting ending, with the DC 1,000,000 issue.

And as Robos said, he's a big part of JLI. The story where Despero returns, makes a cape out of the United Nations flag, and then he and J'onn beat each other down is fantastic, and forever cemented Despero as Martian Manhunter's big-bad.

JLA: Trial by Fire is probably the best J'onn-centric story from JLA, and even has a great little Plastic Man subplot running through it.

Munch on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Try doing a Google news-search for Charlie Sheen. He's actually Martian Manhunter in disguise, and I hear he's been in the news a little bit lately.

Hensler on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is that your response to the request for 'Martian Manhunter and slash'?

Wildcat on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I always thought that Martian Manhunter was very cool. The whole shapeshifting psychic thing is a really funky powerset.

Solar on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    He's like Superman but with more powers

and less pious!

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I highly recommend Martian Manhunter: American Secrets
    288px-Martian_Manhunter_-_American_Secrets_1.jpg

It's a mini from the early 90s that puts J'onn in the McCarthy era, where he has to solve the mystery of a possible alien invasion while running from the FBI with his Elvis and Shirley Temple analogue sidekicks.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Black Lantern J'onn kicked Hal's and Barry's asses for a few panels in Blackest Night #1 or 2 using all of his powers, and then completely disappeared AFAIK.

He threw a g-d apartment building at one of them, for crying out loud.

Crimsondude on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Black Lantern J'onn kicked Hal's and Barry's asses for a few panels in Blackest Night #1 or 2 using all of his powers, and then completely disappeared AFAIK.

He threw a g-d apartment building at one of them, for crying out loud.

And there was an entire Green Lantern issue that took place inbetween that was essentially just a massive deleted scene from that fight. It was pretty awesome, one of the better Green Lantern: Blackest Night issues.

HadjiQuest on
    edited March 2011
    Maybe that's what I was thinking of. Ugh. Blackest Night ...

Crimsondude on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2011
    i liked blackest night

Garlic Bread on
    edited March 2011
    It was fun for what it was, and it wasn't a whole lot.

I enjoyed it. Just a big beat-em-up story with a lot of pretty colors and a cool gimmick (albeit, one that got really grating outside of the GL books).

HadjiQuest on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Blackest Night was enjoyable, and better than Siege

Solar on
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Siege wasn't great by any stretch but I actually enjoyed that more than BN, if only because it was nice and short.

BN dragged on way too long.

Maximum on
    edited March 2011
    Kieron's Thor tie-in was spectacular.

But another tie-in made me quit comics so maybe I shouldn't be too hard on BN. It had some good moments.

Crimsondude on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kieron's Thor tie-in was spectacular.

But another tie-in made me quit comics so maybe I shouldn't be too hard on BN. It had some good moments.

I was hella sad and angry when USAgent got ginsu'd too, but he will get better.

TexiKen on
  • CJGCJG Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Why doesn't USAgent use a non-cybernetic prosthetic leg instead of being confined to a wheelchair?

CJG on
    edited March 2011
    CJG wrote: »
    Why doesn't USAgent use a non-cybernetic prosthetic leg instead of being confined to a wheelchair?

He was offered cybernetics by Fixer, but he doesn't want to become like Nuke ("the slime who made me this way").

This is something that I hope Parker brings up for the Fear Itself tie-in; Walker is a bit afraid of Nuke because that's who he could become.

TexiKen on
    edited March 2011
    Not going to happen. US Agent fears nothing. In fact, he IS Fear Itself.

Hensler on
    edited March 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »

He was offered cybernetics by Fixer, but he doesn't want to become like Nuke ("the slime who made me this way").
    I remember reading that he didn't want to be like Nuke, but I was asking about a non-cybernetic prosthetic. Like his prosthetic arm; a real-world artificial limb.

CJG on
    edited March 2011
    Well, a hook-hand is presumably just as good for most menial tasks, and actually better for kicking ass with, so why not have that instead of a prosthetic hand? I'm not sure why he doesn't have a normal leg prosthetic, other than that it'd be kind of cumbersome.

Speaking anecdotally, my grandfather lost a leg to diabetes, and while he had a prosthetic leg, I don't recall ever seeing him use it, as he preferred the wheelchair. Hell, when he became a double-amputee, he ditched the wheelchair almost entirely, and just walked around on his hands most of the time.

Munch on
    edited March 2011
    Munch wrote: »
    Well, a hook-hand is presumably just as good for most menial tasks, and actually better for kicking ass with, so why not have that instead of a prosthetic hand? I'm not sure why he doesn't have a normal leg prosthetic, other than that it'd be kind of cumbersome.
    I don't have a problem with the hook hand. That's refreshingly real-world, but I don't think they would generally hold up under combat by USAgent with his superior strength and speed. Maybe it's re-inforced.

The world in general, and I'm imagining super-max metahuman prisons in specific, aren't wheelchair friendly.

Also, it's got to be tough to operate a wheelchair with one hand and a hook.

All that said, it did make for an awesome moment when he launched himself out of his chair to kick some butt on some unsuspecting inmates. :)

CJG on
    edited March 2011
    The world in general, and I'm imagining super-max metahuman prisons in specific, aren't wheelchair friendly.

The prison probably would be quite wheelchair-friendly, I would counter, due to the need to have the option to drag some of those villains along the corridor in a gurney whilst trussed up like Hannibal Lecter. So ramps and automatic doors a-plenty!

Wildcat on
    edited March 2011
    Wildcat wrote: »

The prison probably would be quite wheelchair-friendly, I would counter, due to the need to have the option to drag some of those villains along the corridor in a gurney whilst trussed up like Hannibal Lecter. So ramps and automatic doors a-plenty!
    Touche!

CJG on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I wish Marvel really let things get futuristic or at least better in their reality. There was that Big Town proposal, but nothing permanent. The Marvel reality's Earth should be a troubled paradise. The life of the average person in the MU's "first world" should live a life that is better than ours. Advanced prosthetic limbs and medicine, post-oil energy, etc.

Reed, Tony, Peter, hell most of the Avengers, are made to be geniuses, yet they don't really affect their world. I hear about Tony doing things once in a while, but it is usually tied to the military rather than society as a whole.

I had hoped to find something like that in Wildstorm, but that stuff was mostly just about how the Authority are a bunch of well-intentioned jerks. There was a tiny bit of it in Casey's Wildcats, but it was more of a background thing.

DouglasDanger on
    edited March 2011
    Wasn't Tony doing something with repulsor-powered cars in Invincible Iron Man? I'm way behind on that book, but I thought I saw that in a preview or something.

Munch on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I wish Marvel really let things get futuristic or at least better in their reality. There was that Big Town proposal, but nothing permanent. The Marvel reality's Earth should be a troubled paradise. The life of the average person in the MU's "first world" should live a life that is better than ours. Advanced prosthetic limbs and medicine, post-oil energy, etc.

Reed, Tony, Peter, hell most of the Avengers, are made to be geniuses, yet they don't really affect their world. I hear about Tony doing things once in a while, but it is usually tied to the military rather than society as a whole.

I had hoped to find something like that in Wildstorm, but that stuff was mostly just about how the Authority are a bunch of well-intentioned jerks. There was a tiny bit of it in Casey's Wildcats, but it was more of a background thing.

That's never going to happen, especially since Marvel make a big deal about being closer to the real world than DC, and even if it did it wouldn't stick.

Furu on
    edited March 2011
    I think the best way to do it, is to make a plausible explanation for it occurring in a closed-off environment. Like, if Giffen wanted to show Oolong Island as a really advanced island nation, with flying cars and stuff, I'd totally accept it. And it'd make sense that nobody else would use that technology, because who wants to drive a car designed by Doctor Diabolikill?

That shows that the technology's there, and it may be sprinkled across the world, but it's not really widespread yet.

Munch on
    edited March 2011
    Wakanda.

That's why it will never happen.

Crimsondude on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Or you could just say that the government strictly controls the release of new technologies to the public, which is why government organizations have next-generation tech while the private sector does not. Placing limits on the release of super-tech would be consistent with their approach to superhuman abilities.

Speaking of which, has there ever been a story about an anti-intellectual movement within a comic book universe? Surely some people are just as scared of Reed Richards as they are of the X-Men, if not more so.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited March 2011
    Has anyone picked up the Return of Bruce Wayne trade? Did they fix the art in issue 4 at all? It had some problems from being a rush job.

HadjiQuest on
  • GezGez Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My questions are related to graphic novels (not that 16 to 32 page crap) I like to have complete series all in 1 book. Try not to suggest expensive graphics novels. Try and keep it under 10 pounds, comics are expensive in Australia and Amazon UK has free postage to Australia. I don't want golden oldies stuff from the 1940's, I want modern stuff.

1) What Spiderman graphic novels should i start with?
    2) I'm intrested in The Flash, what good standalone stuff are there? Preferably Barry Alan stuff or later.
    3) Deadpool? Where do i start? Preferably something Standalone
    4) Green Lantern? Again where do i start? Something standalone please.
    5) I got Batman Year One, Dark Knight Returns, Dark Knight Strikes Again and read Batman Long Halloween, Batman Hush. What are good Batman graphic novels are there?
    6) Any other non-superpower tech heroes like Batman/Green Arrow/Iron Man i should look at?
    7) Speaking of Ironman where should i start?

Gez on
    edited March 2011
    Graphic novels are comics, it's not like one is more elegant or refined than the other. And your expectation of a complete series in one book is kind contradictory to works you have mentioned in your list. Do you mean complete story?

1) Amazing Spider-Man: Coming Home
    2) The Flash: Dastardly Death of the Rogues
    3) Deadpool: Secret Invasion
    4) Green Lantern Rebirth
    5) Batman & Son
    6) ????
    7) Iron Man: Extremis

TexiKen on
  • Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    for 6) Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes) is supposed to be good. At least I'm pretty sure he gets his powers from a the scarab, and that he himself doesn't have any inherent powers.

Silver_Mage on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Graphic novels are comics, it's not like one is more elegant or refined than the other. And your expectation of a complete series in one book is kind contradictory to works you have mentioned in your list. Do you mean complete story?

1) Amazing Spider-Man: Coming Home
    2) The Flash: Dastardly Death of the Rogues
    3) Deadpool: Secret Invasion
    4) Green Lantern Rebirth
    5) Batman & Son Batman RIP, Batman The Black Glove
    6) I don't know if you like supernatural stuff, Hellboy has a lot of stand alone stories which are awesome.
    7) Iron Man: Extremis

cardboard delusions on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    In all honesty, I feel like Cable & Deadpool shows the best version of Deadpool (although there is a ton of good stuff in Joe Kelly's run from the late 90s). It's a 50-issue series collected in I think 8 regular volumes, and also in 3 "Ultimate Collection" volumes. You can pick up the first Ultimate Collection for 25-pounds-and-change on Amazon.co.uk (more than your desired price point of 10 pounds, but you do get 424 pages of story, which seems pretty worth-while to me).

Doesn't require previous knowledge of Deadpool or Cable. Made me like Cable, which was a feat. Also, made me a regular comic book buyer, so I may be biased.

Edit: P.S. Still think it's dumb that they renamed "Cable & Deadpool" into "Deadpool & Cable" for the Ultimate Collections.

Delduwath on
    edited March 2011
    Gez wrote: »
    My questions are related to graphic novels (not that 16 to 32 page crap) I like to have complete series all in 1 book. Try not to suggest expensive graphics novels. Try and keep it under 10 pounds, comics are expensive in Australia and Amazon UK has free postage to Australia. I don't want golden oldies stuff from the 1940's, I want modern stuff.

1) I'm going to go ahead and say that JMS' run was pretty good, though a lot of people dislike the themes he was bringing in.
    2) Go read Impulse! :P The Flash: Terminal Velocity is a great read, but you would probably need to know a bit more about the other Flash-related characters first in order to get the best out of it.
    3) I agree with Delduwath - Cable and Deadpool (collected as 'Deadpool and Cable' - olol sudden character popularity shifts) was an awesome series and the first time I could read Deadpool without rolling my eyes.
    4) As Tex said, Green Lantern Rebirth, but then get Green Lantern Corps: Recharge.
    6) Tech Jacket?
    7) You could do worse than with Iron Man: Extremis, as Tex again suggested.

Wildcat on
    edited March 2011
    Gez wrote: »
    6) Any other non-superpower tech heroes like Batman/Green Arrow/Iron Man i should look at?

The main Green Hornet series from Dynamite, co-written by Kevin Smith. It has an ass-ton of crappy spinoffs, but the main series is good. But there are really dozens of comics that could fit into this category - Captain America books by Waid, Busiek, or Brubaker are all good. Various Punisher books. The new IDW GI Joe books. Non-superpower tech books is a really broad category.

Hensler on
    edited March 2011
    And how did I forget THE FIVE FISTS OF SCIENCE?!

Wildcat on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Read Casanova. If you like "tech" and creepy monsters, read Blame! and Biomega.

DouglasDanger on
  • GezGez Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wildcat wrote: »

1) I'm going to go ahead and say that JMS' run was pretty good, though a lot of people dislike the themes he was bringing in.

What are you refering to when you say JMS? Is it this?

Amazing Spider-Man By JMS Ultimate Collection Book 1
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazing-Spider-Man-Ultimate-Collection-Book/dp/0785138935/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1301005767&sr=1-5

By the looks of it it includes Spiderman Coming home? Or have i got that wrong?

Gez on