As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chaos] CitOW game 32 - Witch Hunters find the Grail

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Poor peasant!

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    stever777 wrote: »
    Should've rolled for that all important peasant first. Game is ruined now. Start over from turn 1!!

I thought about that, but even if you use his first die for Bretonnia instead, he still has a hit.

Darian on
  • Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just... These crazy kids today!

stever777 on
    Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    To be fair, if Khorne were to miss 1 hit with 5 dice, we'd probably lose Orokos to his resulting rage.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    He used IC. He did roll pretty badly.

stever777 on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh, IC. Well then that wouldn't be too bad.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I guess my google docs can now take a breather as I don't have to update it anymore. I think I was up to 6000 words.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm not really into that part of the game, for some reason. I like to keep it all in my shrinking brain cells!

stever777 on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Round 6, Corruption phase

Witch Hunters (remove corruption from Khorne at Hero) and Peasant Uprising (peasants increase resistance) are active
    citowg32r69.png

Chaos effects:
    Norsca: Carnage (others cannot be summoned away) and Ecstasy (no dice from figures)
    Troll County: Flu (-2 to resistance) and Lies (+2 to domination for each noble or hero)
    The Empire: Lies (+2 to domination for each noble or hero) and Rotting (kill a cultist or warrior for each of N's corruption)
    Bretonnia: Cry (no corruption placed) and Shield (acolyte cannot die in battle)
    Tilea: Stasis (+2 PP for others)

Domintion step:
    Norsca: +2 VP
    Troll Country: +2 VP
    Tilea: +2 VP

Corruption step:
    Norsca: +3 DIAL
    Bretonnia: Cry more
    Tilea: +5 DIAL

Check for Ruination:
    Norsca is the fifth and final region ruined (3 + 9); +5 VP
    Tilea would be ruined, but there aren't any more cards. So sad.

Updated VP:
    Khorne: 33 VP
    Nurgle: 46 VP
    Tzeentch: 36 + 2 = 38 VP
    Slaanesh: 36 + 9 = 45 VP

Darian on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Round 6, End phase

Board at the start of the end phase:

citowg32r610.png

1. Remove Chaos Cards from the Board - Shield fades

2. Hero Tokens are resolved - A bloodletter falls in the Empire, and Khorne chooses a sacrifice in Estalia

3. Resolve Old World cards - Witch Hunters fail to find any sign of Khorne

4. Score Ruined Regions -
    Norsca: +8 VP, +4 VP

5. Advance Threat Dials - Khorne, Tzeentch and Slaanesh each tick once
    Khorne:
    XX - Victory

Tzeentch:
    25 - Upgrade

Slaanesh:
    24 - Upgrade

Updated VP:
    Khorne: 33 + 4 = 37 VP
    Nurgle: 46 VP
    Tzeentch: 38 VP
    Slaanesh: 45 + 8 = 53 VP

6. Check for Game end -
    Khorne wins by DIAL victory; Slaanesh is too late in achieving 50+ VP

Good game, everyone, and congrats to Capfalcon on his victory!

Darian on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Can't believe I basically came in last, esp. considering the heights I fell from early on. I say I came in last 'cuz I went for VP's after K started racking up the dials and I have the lowest despite having an OK dial.
    Well, CONGRATS Capfalcon! Good game all!
    See you in the Old World some time...

stever777 on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Would have made for a more interesting ending if Tzeentch or Slaanesh had one more DIAL tick along the way, giving you the chance to also make DIAL victory this round.

Really, the final round felt odd to me; once the Field of Ecstasy hit, I was expecting both Tzeentch and Nurgle to try to ensure they got some VP out of that region, with one of them taking second place away from Khorne. Instead, Tzeentch piled into Tilea and Nurgle used his power to prevent Slaanesh from taking points in the Empire, leaving him too weak to effectively run away from Khorne.

Cap, did you have another Field of Carnage in hand, or no?

Darian on
  • Options
    CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My remaining hand
    play : The Skull Throne - 1 - When adding up your domination value in this region, count the sum of your figures' attack power instead of quantity. '
    play : Ritual Slaying - 1 - Each time you kill a figure in this region, draw a card '
    play : Ritual Slaying - 1 - Each time you kill a figure in this region, draw a card '
    play : Reborn In Blood - 2 - During the battle phase, conduct an additional battle in this region. '
    play : Reborn In Blood - 2 - During the battle phase, conduct an additional battle in this region. '
    play : The Skull Throne - 1 - When adding up your domination value in this region, count the sum of your figures' attack power instead of quantity. '
    play : The Blood God's Call - 2 - When you play this card, immediately move up to two of your figures to this region from any other region or regions. '
    play : The Blood God's Call - 2 - When you play this card, immediately move up to two of your figures to this region from any other region or regions. '

Edit:
    That was the last card in the deck, Darian.

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I got fixated on Bretonnia/Tilea and trying to prevent Khorne from killing anyone. Lost my focus. Not that I think we could have stopped him...

stever777 on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    I would have had to spend all my PP moving one at a time getting to Norsca, all the while opening myself up in The Empire and Troll Country to a possibility of another field, so heading to Norsca was never in my mind, personally.

My hand if anyone was curious:
    A Great Foul Consumption - 2 - At the end of the corruption phase, after corruption tokens have been placed but before checking for ruination, remove all of your figures from this region. Place a corruption token here for every two units removed this way. '
    A Great Foul Consumption - 2 - At the end of the corruption phase, after corruption tokens have been placed but before checking for ruination, remove all of your figures from this region. Place a corruption token here for every two units removed this way. '
    (M) The Stench of Decay - 3 - If you dominate this region, place two corruption tokens here. '
    (M) The Stench of Decay - 3 - If you dominate this region, place two corruption tokens here. '
    A Great Foul Consumption - 2 - At the end of the corruption phase, after corruption tokens have been placed but before checking for ruination, remove all of your figures from this region. Place a corruption token here for every two units removed this way.

...Yea...I wasn't really happy. I've had much of that for 3 rounds.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I had a Teleport (which Darian pointed out I should have used) and 2 Dazzles.

stever777 on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    I remain convinced that Nurgle's deck has no 0 cost cards because I sure as hell couldn't draw any to save my life.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Good work, Capfalcon! That was a hard-fought win.

I was a little confused by Aegis's failure to slide a Leper into Tilea ahead of the Temporal Stasis, but then again, it wasn't likely to have mattered. Even if you'd completely ignored my impending VP win, there just wasn't any way to get all your cultists to safety.

Tzeentch and Nurgle made some bold upgrade choices this game; it's too bad they didn't pay off a little better.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Aegis wrote: »
    I remain convinced that Nurgle's deck has no 0 cost cards because I sure as hell couldn't draw any to save my life.

They really were shuffled! But yeah, your next four cards were 0 cost. D:
    1: (M) Plague Aura - 0 - Each of your corruption tokens in this region adds one to your domination value here
    2: (M) Plague Aura - 0 - Each of your corruption tokens in this region adds one to your domination value here
    3: Plague Touch - 0 - The defense value of each enemy figure in this region is reduced by 1, to a minimum of 1
    4: Plague Touch - 0 - The defense value of each enemy figure in this region is reduced by 1, to a minimum of 1
    5: Rain of Pus - 1 - The defense value of each of your figures in this region is increased by one
    6: The Final Rotting - 2 - At the end of the battle phase, kill one enemy Cultist or Warrior in this region for each of your corruption tokens here
    7: All Things Decay - 1 - Remove one corruption token belonging to any player from this region when you play this card
    8: Influenza - 1 - This region's Resistance is reduced by two
    9: (M) Plague Aura - 0 - Each of your corruption tokens in this region adds one to your domination value here

Darian on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Hehe! Poor Nurgs!

stever777 on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    I was expecting Khorne to eat the Temporal Stasis cost if I started putting cultists in Tilea, and I wouldn't have gotten all that much out of it anyway.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Wow, Nurgle really got the shaft. :(

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Darian wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »

They really were shuffled! But yeah, your next four cards were 0 cost. D:
    1: (M) Plague Aura - 0 - Each of your corruption tokens in this region adds one to your domination value here
    2: (M) Plague Aura - 0 - Each of your corruption tokens in this region adds one to your domination value here
    3: Plague Touch - 0 - The defense value of each enemy figure in this region is reduced by 1, to a minimum of 1
    4: Plague Touch - 0 - The defense value of each enemy figure in this region is reduced by 1, to a minimum of 1
    5: Rain of Pus - 1 - The defense value of each of your figures in this region is increased by one
    6: The Final Rotting - 2 - At the end of the battle phase, kill one enemy Cultist or Warrior in this region for each of your corruption tokens here
    7: All Things Decay - 1 - Remove one corruption token belonging to any player from this region when you play this card
    8: Influenza - 1 - This region's Resistance is reduced by two
    9: (M) Plague Aura - 0 - Each of your corruption tokens in this region adds one to your domination value here

You're kidding :?

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    My thought too about the stasis. Not as good as a Slaanesh Field.

stever777 on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    My google docs from the end of round 3:
    3) And for the love of Nurgle, if I don't draw a Plague Aura this turn I'm going to shoot my deck. I just want one for Estalia, is that too much to ask?

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Re: my upgrade, I had a long and hard discussion over it in my notes, but I just couldn't opt for the safe play of Ruination over the underused GUO upgrade. I even noted that I'd rather take a loss by picking GUO and having fun, than picking boring Ruination.

And it did get use! It messed up Tzeentch in combination with All Things Decay.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    What I was hoping for was:
    1. Nurgle spends 1 PP to enter Tilea.
    2. Tzeench drops the TS.
    3. Khorne spends 4 PP to place a warrior.
    4. Tzeentch zaps it off to Norsca with a Teleport.
    5. Winner: Slaanesh!

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I just like power. Also, at the time, I was going for a dial victory but then K just ran away with it.

stever777 on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    What I was hoping for:

1. On the previous round, people roll terribly and forget I have a cultist in The Badlands.
    2. Nurgle hits 50 VP and wins.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    2. Tzeench drops the TS.

Should've let me know. I could've followed your instructions to the letter!

stever777 on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    FWD, you had another Ecstasy in hand -- did you ever consider playing it someplace to give Nurgle a safe haven from Khorne?

Darian on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    What I was hoping for:

1. Slannesh locks Down K with Fields and I get first ruiner in Tilea.
    2. Someone else hits 50 VP and wins.

stever777 on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    FWD said he didn't...

stever777 on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Darian wrote: »
    FWD, you had another Ecstasy in hand -- did you ever consider playing it someplace to give Nurgle a safe haven from Khorne?
    ORLY? That's news to me!

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh... I must have misread your google-doc, then; thought you had two there. Never mind!

Darian on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Regarding playing Nurgle for the first time, some impressions I've had:

Nurgle really, really suffers from PP. You don't have extra cultists so you have to get them all down to get points as soon as possible and you can't move them around all that much more as that's just wasting PP, so you have to focus on as few populous regions as possible. Then, when you're done with a region, unless you can get a Great Foul Consumption in play, you need to move everything to the next region and resume. I really do think, because of this limited mobility, Nurgle functions really well when he isn't ruining regions but rather soaking as much domination as possible from them while ensuring he comes in first in the end and gains points elsewhere. This is why I liked Estalia quite a bit. Aside from turn #1 (fuck you Slaanesh), I gained half the required VP from one region alone before it ruined which was great. But after that I didn't have enough setup to vault me over the top, even after offering Tzeentch the two first place regions (which, if I had dominated just a bit more or got some points from might have been enough to move past 50).

Plaguebearers can also hurt your cultist spread, but I rather like them in that they can function incredibly well to mess with one person that can't really hit you back, namely Tzeentch. Has its uses in cutting down Khorne trying to steal corruption with cultists and Slaanesh before she gets her cultist upgrade, but since Tzeentch is likely to be next to Nurgle's sphere of influence, I view them as a very effective anti-Tzeentch weapon. This leads me to god matchups:

Tzeentch - I feel like he's the god you can really screw with the most, by stealing corruption and lessening his influence with Plaguebearers. He can hurt you just as much, though, but he doesn't have the most damaging cards.
    Slaanesh - Fuck Slaanesh. She will, and can, without reprisal, screw you. She will ruin your domination attempts, and then sneak in corruption that you then have to get rid of. If she's on the opposite side of the map from her, I have yet to think of a way that can hurt her as much as she can hurt you with Nurgle and I don't think there is one. You either convince Khorne to hit her with the help of a Plague Touch, or you ask Tzeentch nicely for a Teleport to get to her yourself.
    Khorne - Khorne's probably gunning for you from the start. His battle cries are also a pain the ass, which is why I like the idea of clogging up your card slots in your home region of choice as fast as possible. If you do it soon enough, you might tempt him into playing figures rather than battle cries. I, oddly, don't view him as the most threatening (probably my downfall, but this was when we screwed him out of a double-tick). I think you can, as Nurgle, if you're playing slow-creep convince the Khornite there are better options to hit than you which will deflect most of his attention away from you.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Nurgle is Khorne's favorite food. N is so good at looking like he's not doing well then, BAM, 50+ VP's.

stever777 on

• Options
    edited March 2011
    So, as Khorne, here's what I've decided.

Don't worry about double ticking the first round. Make sure you tick, but, otherwise, just get spread out. If you jump ahead early like that, everyone else will just want to pummel you.

And the cultist upgrade is the best thing ever. I can't ever see a time I'd get the other figure upgrades though.

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    2. Tzeench drops the TS.

To be fair, there was no way I was going to chase him into that death trap.

Capfalcon on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Capfalcon wrote: »
    So, as Khorne, here's what I've decided.

Don't worry about double ticking the first round. Make sure you tick, but, otherwise, just get spread out. If you jump ahead early like that, everyone else will just want to pummel you.

And the cultist upgrade is the best thing ever. I can't ever see a time I'd get the other figure upgrades though.
    I can see maybe taking the daemon upgrade as third choice in lieu of the extra card.

FunkyWaltDogg on