As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cookie Brigade, PAX East 2011: OVER 9000! ($9600 - and counting - for Child's Play!)

14567810»

• Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I absolutely knew I'd love doing this. I'm one of those freaks of nature who loves talking to new people and, arguably, does better with chatting up perfect strangers. Cookies just give me an excuse. I had to most fun because I got to stop, and most people wanted to chat. The pins went well also. I was concerned they wouldn't after the PokePins didn't seem that big on the PokeCrawl, but they picked up. Up to and including people SEARCHING ME OUT via the Twitter tags I put on the pins. I think those accounted for at least $100 of my donation.

I know those bacon/chocolate chip cookies were my favourites to give out. They were incredibly popular. I actually stopped and waited EVERY time for people to try them, promising them a replacement cookie if they didn't like them. Each time the did enjoy them, half the time they went for a second one. I REALLY loved the cries of "cookie lady" that would waft to me as I trucked through Handheld. Lines were great for distribution, but I had my best success in Handheld and the Saturday concert. Oh, and about 7 o' clock, after dinnertime. Especially if I saw people having takeout.

Menolly07 on
    Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Are we going to have a "successful recipes" thread on the CB website? I think we need it.

All I can say is that Bacon Molasses, Cinnamon Roll, and Chocolate Chip Oreo Stuffed were huge hits.

feitocomfruta on
  • TheRobotGuyTheRobotGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I actually just gave cookies away for certain people. The people who donated were awesome, so children and people who ripped their pockets apart trying to find cash got a free bag. Paul & Storm bought 4 bags, and Storm was devouring them at the merch table. That made my day.

TheRobotGuy on
    Fuck You Bottle is the name of my Jonathan Coulton cover band.
  • LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You guys did a great job. It was hard to find you the first day, but that's probably just because nobody really knew their way around the new venue. After that though, I got cookies from you guys a couple of times.

If I have time before prime, I think I'm going to try to bake some cookies to help out. I've been told that my chocolate chip cookies are pretty amazing...

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • d0ughb0yd0ughb0y Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That is really really awesome. Cookie Brigade rules.

Next year, I'm in! I've got some fantastic ideas.

d0ughb0y on
  • CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I want an apple brigade, both because I want more easy access to fruit (and other reasonably healthy alternatives) and because it could potentially result in people dressing up in MLP:FIM cosplay to sell Applejacks apples.

Creamsteak on
  • EruditeAphroditeEruditeAphrodite Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Creamsteak wrote: »
    I want an apple brigade, both because I want more easy access to fruit (and other reasonably healthy alternatives) and because it could potentially result in people dressing up in MLP:FIM cosplay to sell Applejacks apples.

I would absolutely dress up like Applejack for the brigade. Though after wearing the Snorlax for a few hours I know next time to include vents and pockets in my costume. Good lord that was miserably hot. However, I think it was worth it for the boost in sales.

... now I need to go wash that thing out, it STINKS.

EruditeAphrodite on
    Pretty Gamer - Your one-stop shop for female gamers and geeks. Written by women, for women. Because we all deserve to feel pretty.
  • Oldmangloom315Oldmangloom315 [ENFORCER] Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You guys ruled. I was given a cookie for helping yell in the main theatre overflow room saturday night to get people to buy cookies.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate the cookies. Makes those long nights easier to handle.

Oldmangloom315 on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    the giant bag of cookies that stayed at the handheld lounge was complete win. some stationary setups like that worked out well (even if it was impromptu)

zerzhul on
    edited March 2011
    d0ughb0y wrote: »
    That is really really awesome. Cookie Brigade rules.

Next year, I'm in! I've got some fantastic ideas.

Sign up at http://www.cookie-brigade.com and you'll be part of our ranks! We'd love to help with development of your ideas.

feitocomfruta on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Late to comment, but the bacon chocolate chip cookies: AMAZING!!! Thank you to whoever made them.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • tortured3tortured3 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i bought some cookies from the cookie brigade.amazing by the way.

tortured3 on
    grym & kvlt
  • OcTavius12OcTavius12 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thats really great :3

OcTavius12 on
    f7v9h.jpg
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Woot, I'm really glad everyone enjoyed the cookies! =)

For those who were nervous distributing, don't despair! It really does get easier the more you do it! I know I was literally trembling in fear the first year! It really does get easier the more you do it though, I promise!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • SpyPoetSpyPoet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    zerzhul wrote: »
    the giant bag of cookies that stayed at the handheld lounge was complete win. some stationary setups like that worked out well (even if it was impromptu)

I only remember one time we had a giant bag of cookies and that was Sunday. I was the red-headed Enforcer that had a big bag and was going around tossing them around. Was there another one I missed? :D

SpyPoet on
    PAX Prime 2011 Details
    [ ] Transport Brought GAAAAH
    [X] Ticket Brought Enforcer.
    [ ] Hotel Paid For This may be where I get screwed.
    [ ] Cosplay ask nabs/notaboyscout >:3
    edited March 2011
    Yes, the bacon chocolate chip cookies were amazing. I managed to run out of cookies as I was leaving. PAX needs more adventurous eaters. Come on, we're trying to help children, not poison people, but they act like it when presented with a weird cookie. Anyway, since Paul & Storm liked them, oatmeal cookies with chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, coconut, and vanilla will be back next year. Also, they were the best cookies I ever made. I may also make a gluten-free version for the Celiacs I met this year. They shouldn't have to miss out on the awesomeness of my cookies.

TheRobotGuy on
    edited March 2011

For those who were nervous distributing, don't despair! It really does get easier the more you do it! I know I was literally trembling in fear the first year! It really does get easier the more you do it though, I promise!

Of course it would be easier if it didn't feel like we were gonna get kicked out of the building at any moment (stupid exclusivity clauses).

feitocomfruta on
  • StaxeonStaxeon Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    More iced oatmeal, or iced eff'ing oatmeal (those who were there know what I'm talking about)

Staxeon on
    Invisible nap is the best nap of all time!
    No man should have that kind of power.
    (Twitter)
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Of course it would be easier if it didn't feel like we were gonna get kicked out of the building at any moment (stupid exclusivity clauses).

Well after a issue early on Saturday that wasn't really a concern. So I don't think we'll need to be quite so afraid next year of security.

ransim on
  • hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You make those bacon chocolate Chip cookies at PAX Prime, TIM Will Find YOU! I was the one you sent the recipe too last week. I haven't tried them yet but I will be sending some to Tim soon. Thanks.

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lady LilybellLady Lilybell Geeky Crafter & Baker South Shore, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I know my right hand man already has plans for next PaxEast.

Plan on seeing the cinnamon rolls at Prime.

Lady Lilybell on
    5FzIdZ6.png
    I ♥ making awesome crafts! I ♥ my Cookie Brigaders!
  • SoCo_and_LimeSoCo_and_Lime Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You guys and girls did a fantastic job this PAX. Thank you all so much for the awesome cookies.

SoCo_and_Lime on
    [x] Bolt Bus
    [x] Radisson Hotel Boston
    [x] Pre-Pax Dinner
    [x] BYOC and 3 Day Pass

• CrabhammerCrabhammer Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man, I rarely had actual cash on my during the convention, but some shady lookin' motherfucker bought the WoW trading card that I got as a consolation prize for not having the key that opened the chest in the table top area for $5. I promptly handed that $5 to one of you kind ladies.

Felt good, man.

Crabhammer on
    EYUNR.gif
    Pokemon White Friend Code:0089 1626 3393
  • Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Staxeon wrote: »
    More iced oatmeal, or iced eff'ing oatmeal (those who were there know what I'm talking about)

I'm sure there's a certain enforcer who feels the same. No clue if you're THAT enforcer.. If so, then the safe word is Penguin.

Menolly07 on
    Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • Ana NgAna Ng Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cookie brigade saved my life during PAX East! And everyone I ran into was incredibly pleasant, including the nice shy girl who gave me a chocolate lollipop when I was waiting near the EA booth :P

I'm already planning to get involved next year. I don't know I could hand them out but I can bake like a mofo and I'm only over in Maine, so it's easy for me to transport a buttload of cookies.

Ana Ng on
  • WizMasterWizMaster Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ixmasat wrote: »
    Yeah, I am in this club too. Intimidation paralysis got me down a bit. Definitely going to try to team up from the get go next time - the more the merrier, eh?

Also, whoever made the chocolate chip cookies using Alton Brown's recipe...rave reviews from everyone I passed those out to on Friday (ooooh they were gone right quick)! Had someone get one, take a bite, and promptly donate again for another.

But ohhhh man you guys, over $9600?! This is amazingly wonderful.

Yea, The Chewy was a great recipe. I also made the Oatiest Oatmeal Cookies but it was way too oaty for me. I felt like a pack mule eating it and I doubt it was popular. I plan on making a lot more of the Chewies for next year.

I really like baking but those "extra man" candies inspired me to try my hand at making candies and chocolates. Don't know if I will for PAX next year but it's a possibility.

WizMaster on
    edited March 2011
    WizMaster wrote: »
    Ixmasat wrote: »
    Yeah, I am in this club too. Intimidation paralysis got me down a bit. Definitely going to try to team up from the get go next time - the more the merrier, eh?

Also, whoever made the chocolate chip cookies using Alton Brown's recipe...rave reviews from everyone I passed those out to on Friday (ooooh they were gone right quick)! Had someone get one, take a bite, and promptly donate again for another.

But ohhhh man you guys, over $9600?! This is amazingly wonderful.

Yea, The Chewy was a great recipe. I also made the Oatiest Oatmeal Cookies but it was way too oaty for me. I felt like a pack mule eating it and I doubt it was popular. I plan on making a lot more of the Chewies for next year.

I really like baking but those "extra man" candies inspired me to try my hand at making candies and chocolates. Don't know if I will for PAX next year but it's a possibility.

Amusingly enough the "Extra Man" candies were from my overflow tray. I generally get more pour out of a candy batch then will fit in the four space invader trays I have. So my mom (who made the chocolates and chocolate lollipops) got me a "gingerbread man" silicon mold. It was PERFECT for overflow. I then took the little man shaped candies and tossed them in bags as a "Extra Man" at the last minute.

If you're on the cookie brigade website the candy recipe is there. I'm hoping I'll have time this weekend to give it an update with some tricks I developed while making candy this time around.

I honestly wish I could do cookies too, the candy is fun but it can be a bit messy. Unfortunately my oven likes to burn everything on the bottom, undercooked on top, over cooked on bottom. Its just a bad model or something same stove in two apartments, both do the same exact thing.

ransim on
  • DragonPupDragonPup Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wow, that was an amazing haul you brought in with cookies! Fantastic work!

It's kind of a crazy idea, but for the next PAX, what about having a twitter account so people can see where the Brigade is, and maybe even summon them for delicious delivery?

And would the cookie brigade consider branching out to non-dough snacks for the next PAX East? I have like no experience with cookies, but I could make tasty chocolate covered fruit.

DragonPup on
    "I was there, I was there, the day Horus slew the Emperor." -Cpt Garviel Loken

Currently painting: Slowly [flickr]
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yes, the bacon chocolate chip cookies were amazing. I managed to run out of cookies as I was leaving. PAX needs more adventurous eaters. Come on, we're trying to help children, not poison people, but they act like it when presented with a weird cookie. Anyway, since Paul & Storm liked them, oatmeal cookies with chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, coconut, and vanilla will be back next year. Also, they were the best cookies I ever made. I may also make a gluten-free version for the Celiacs I met this year. They shouldn't have to miss out on the awesomeness of my cookies.

It's because Scoots was giving people those damn bacon-flavored jelly beans! Those things turned people off to bacon. They were wretched! :evil:

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
    edited March 2011
    DragonPup wrote: »
    Wow, that was an amazing haul you brought in with cookies! Fantastic work!

It's kind of a crazy idea, but for the next PAX, what about having a twitter account so people can see where the Brigade is, and maybe even summon them for delicious delivery?

And would the cookie brigade consider branching out to non-dough snacks for the next PAX East? I have like no experience with cookies, but I could make tasty chocolate covered fruit.

We actually were using a hashtag for the brigade over the weekend. Unfortunately it wasn't advertised very well beforehand, so hopefully it'll be used more moving forward.

#paxcookies was used by brigadiers to communicate and mention where we might be headed.

#needcookies was also being used by some people to request brigadiers

I was also keeping track of "cookie brigade" as well. Twitter ended up being incredibly useful for some of us who knew, but it just wasn't something everyone knew about ahead of time.

As far as branching out, this year I know we had plenty of non-cookie treats the few that I'm aware of where:
    • Chocolates/Chocolate Lollipops
    • Chocolate covered popcorn
    • Hard candy - space invaders and extra man shaped with fruity flavors
    • Buckeyes - peanut butter and chocolate
    • Rice Crispy treats - very popular

The problem with something like chocolate covered fruit is the lack of refrigeration during PAX itself. The food sits in containers in a supply room, so anything that will quickly go sour or bad won't work so well and i don't see us getting access to a fridge anytime soon. So it has to be stuff that will hold for a couple days at room temperature.

ransim on
    edited March 2011
    punzie wrote: »

It's because Scoots was giving people those damn bacon-flavored jelly beans! Those things turned people off to bacon. They were wretched! :evil:

God damn jelly beans... *raises fists in anger*

TheRobotGuy on
    edited March 2011
    Yay! I'm glad to hear that so many new people are thinking of participating! We can use as much help as we can get with baking and distributing, and you'll have a blast doing either... or both!!

Remember to head to http://cookie-brigade.com and register on the site if you're serious about participating in the Brigade! That's where we do our planning, away from the potential prying eyes of the Convention Center catering companies. ;)

VThornheart on
  • Ana NgAna Ng Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yay! I'm glad to hear that so many new people are thinking of participating! We can use as much help as we can get with baking and distributing, and you'll have a blast doing either... or both!!

Remember to head to http://cookie-brigade.com and register on the site if you're serious about participating in the Brigade! That's where we do our planning, away from the potential prying eyes of the Convention Center catering companies. ;)

Just registered! :)

Ana Ng on
  • King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdos A city in my mindRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I did not have one single cookie all weekend. You have no idea how sad this makes me. :(

King of Mars on
    Writhe your naked ass to the mindless groove.
    twitter //
    3DS: 2492-5478-6311 // Steam & WiiU: kingofmars2099
    edited March 2011
    I did not have one single cookie all weekend. You have no idea how sad this makes me. :(

Find me next year and that will not happen. I will be spending more time in the Jamspace. I thought I liked chiptune before... PAX has introduced me to more music than my mind can handle. I just got the new Shortsleeves single and the new IAYD album.

TheRobotGuy on
  • CaedoCaedo Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    <3 for the Cookie Brigade! You guys and gals are the greatest, especially when I've been standing in one place for four hours and need a sugar fix. Seriously though, thanks for everything you do, its been amazing to see how much this project has grown and become a big part of the PAX experience.

I'm also happy to see more people are willing to sign up and help out, East needs more Brigadiers, stat!

Caedo on
    edited March 2011
    Caedo wrote: »
    <3 for the Cookie Brigade! You guys and gals are the greatest, especially when I've been standing in one place for four hours and need a sugar fix. Seriously though, thanks for everything you do, its been amazing to see how much this project has grown and become a big part of the PAX experience.

I'm also happy to see more people are willing to sign up and help out, East needs more Brigadiers, stat!

Couldn't agree with you more. We need more distributors.

TheRobotGuy on
    edited March 2011
    King of Mars: Oh, where did you frequent? Let us know, we can try to get more distributors to end up in those areas if its somewhere that people might be conducive to cookies!

<3 Caedo, I'm really glad it has been useful! =) I also hope that we get more people going: we're going to need all the bakers and distributors we can get if we're going to break $10,000!

VThornheart on
    edited March 2011
    Hey everybody, just a couple of heads up:

1) I've changed our global total: We've now officially made over $30,000 for Child's Play since we began tracking in 2008! Everyone in the PAX Community, you are AWESOME for making this happen, and for your incredible generosity in giving donations for cookies!

2) I have started a new thread for PAX Prime 2011: It's a bit early, but hopefully everyone coming in from PAX East 2011 who's interested in joining the Brigade can jump over there so we can begin the conversation! We won't *really* begin our discussion efforts and planning until we're significantly closer to PAX Prime: we need some time to recover! But the new thread will at least help to point everyone in the right direction.

VThornheart on