As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kick Ass Keyboards

13»

• Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Razer black widow should be a good for you, hope it goes well. You're already using I presume?

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    but why would I add the need for batteries when i get the exact same functionality without batteries?

Because to me changing batteries quarterly at most is far less of an inconvenience than having more wires laying around and possibly using up more USB ports.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    but why would I add the need for batteries when i get the exact same functionality without batteries?

Because to me changing batteries quarterly at most is far less of an inconvenience than having more wires laying around and possibly using up more USB ports.

But...the receiver still has to use a USB port?

Pirusu on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pirusu wrote: »

and the whole issues of interference, weak signal, lag, etc.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Don't get me wrong. If a dude wants to use wireless, go for it.

Pirusu on
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bastable wrote: »
    Razer black widow should be a good for you, hope it goes well. You're already using I presume?

Ordered it yesterday, I should have it Monday and be trying it out then. I'm out of town for weekend sexing of the girlfriend anyway so it doesn't matter till I get back and get my game on. Now I need to find an FPS to try out again.

hawkbox on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, I don't want to use this as an advice thread, but I've read through the opinions in here and haven't gotten any kind of solid consensus at all. I need a new keyboard (and mouse, but I'll figure that out separately, unless there's a good combo). I do not want to have a different button layout than the traditional one, since it would also screw me up when working on my professional laptop. I have an RSI in my right wrist, so if there's a type of keyboard that might be better, that's cool, though I think the RSI is more from mouse use. I type very fast, but I almost never have a problem with hitting too many keys at once, even while gaming. I mostly play MMO's, but a complicated macro system would probably just sit ignored because I'd be too lazy to figure it out.

Right now I'm leaning toward that logitech illuminated keyboard. Good idea, bad idea?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I had one, they're kind of nice but my G15 didn't last as long as I would have liked an I had all the keys worn off so they just glowed blue by the time the right hand side of the keyboard stopped working for me and I threw it away. IO'm going mechnical because I don't want to have to replace the damn thing every year or two. Though I'm not sure how much I'm going to like this razer keyboard. I wish I had more mechanical options available to me.

hawkbox on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

A USB port. One, for both my mouse and keyboard. As opposed to very possibly having to use two for a wired keyboard and a wired mouse (which is why I said possibly use more).

None of which I've ever experienced except for one time when I foolishly put the receiver on a back USB port up against the wall with no line-of-sight to the devices at all.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    My home computer has about 22 USB ports available to it between the 8 on my tower and the 4 on each of my dell monitors. So I'm not that worried about wires, though a wireless mouse would be a nice option.

Got the Black Widow today! The clicking isn't nearly as annoying as I worried it might be. It's no worse than how much noise I make with my regular keyboard.(I'm kind of hard on equipment.)

hawkbox on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So I fired it up last night, the key layout is a little different than my other keyboards so it takes a bit of getting used to but my typing speed on it is considerably faster than on my lenovo freebie at my desk at work. Plus the function key replacing the right windows button is vastly preferable to the steelseries option to me. Plus there is a function to turn off the windows key anyway so that isn't an issue.

The clicky isn't nearly as annoying as I worried it would be so I am pretty happy with it so far. 5 games of SC2 in and it worked fine except me misplacing my fingers on the keys.

hawkbox on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    People tend to overstate the clicky, I'm sure it's measurably louder but typing on my mac book pro has "clicks" and if you focus on it or maybe the one not typing it could be annoying. Has the razor worked out with the multiple key press thing.

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

None of which I've ever experienced except for one time when I foolishly put the receiver on a back USB port up against the wall with no line-of-sight to the devices at all.

You can do that with the MS Wireless Comfort Desktop 5000 (which is both a mouse and a keyboard) with no problem. I'm doing it right now, since I want to keep my front-facing USB ports free.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just recently upgraded from the Saitek Eclipse that I got when I built my first machine in 2004. That thing was rugged-as-fuck, lasted through multiple LAN parties, getting thrown in the backseat carelessly often when attending said LAN parties, one rage-induced wall collision (slam keyboard tray back into the rail, keyboard slides off into wall) and continued to function perfectly. In fact, it still is functioning perfectly but I wanted to get a keyboard with macro ability so that I could manage RIFT better (and the in-game macro editor stops just short of being useful, can't execute more than one command per button press)

I ended up going with the black widow ultimate, I'm loving it so far but my typing speed/accuracy has fallen since the keys are slightly different dimensions and all the different landmarks/anchor points I had grown accustomed to changed slightly. I find so much joy in simply typing now that I'd forgotten about having used a non-mechanical keyboard for so long. Before the saitek, I had a model M that came with the family's 486dx2 that we got in the mid 90's. I find the click-clackity becomes a game in and of itself, the faster I clack the more I feel alive.

The first thing I noticed when I got the blackwidow out of the box was like a dozen keys had popped off in freight and were sort of dingle-dangly. It seemed as though they were designed to pop off because simply re-seating them and then pressing them once seemed to lock them back in place and they are fully functional. Another thing I noticed and love is the thick, braided USB cable that came with it.

so long story short, I'd totally recommend the saitek as a reliable keyboard.

Also, I recall the Model M having problems with key combos as well so it's not like they're completely immune.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    People tend to overstate the clicky, I'm sure it's measurably louder but typing on my mac book pro has "clicks" and if you focus on it or maybe the one not typing it could be annoying. Has the razor worked out with the multiple key press thing.

I haven't noticed any real multiple key press issues. But I'm not sure what I would look for anyway, everything I try to do works fine as near as I can see.

hawkbox on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Synthesis wrote: »

You can do that with the MS Wireless Comfort Desktop 5000 (which is both a mouse and a keyboard) with no problem. I'm doing it right now, since I want to keep my front-facing USB ports free.

Even better. I've got a Logitech system myself. I'd prefer to keep the front ports free as well but it's not that big a deal. That's the only LOS/signal-related problem I've ever experienced. Even now with the receiver in a front port there are portions of my desk blocking LOS, so I can't say it's at all finicky about it.

Gaslight on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    hawkbox wrote: »

I haven't noticed any real multiple key press issues. But I'm not sure what I would look for anyway, everything I try to do works fine as near as I can see.

Sweet purchase then as the black widow will act on 6 simultaneous key presses, which is the max you can expect from a usb connection and frankly I don't know what you'd be doing to even press 6 keys in gaming or typing.

Bastable on

• Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anyone know of a keyboard that has decent keypress limits for standard FPS'ing at a low-end price point ($50 is my tentative limit, but lower is even better)? Function buttons, yes. Big backspace key, yes. Big enter key, preferably not. If it's 18" wide or less, bonus points for you. A number pad is not a necessity.

I just picked up a Microsoft X4. I was comparing it to the X6 but what sold me was their anti-ghosting technology that was developed for this keyboard that I didn't see on any other model or brand, USB wise. It's cheaper and slimmer than the X6 and I think it looks nicer as well, no big knobby things on the top.

Cost $48 on Amazon. It's has a nice thin form factor, the keys are closer than I am used to so typing takes a little adjusting but it feels very solid and looks great.

(Disclaimer: It just showed up from Amazon yesterday so I am going off of about 12 hours of initial impressions. Bought it because my old Logitech PS2 keyboard that has been around forever finally broke down on me. I compared the X4 to the X6 and a few Logitech boards. I had no interest in mechanical, I don't want to annoy people with how loud they are as I do not have a private computer room to bang away in.)

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I really have no idea what people mean by ghosting on a keyboard. I mean I press a key and it works, then if I hold it it keeps working and if I let it go it stops working. Am I missing something there?

hawkbox on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I really have no idea what people mean by ghosting on a keyboard. I mean I press a key and it works, then if I hold it it keeps working and if I let it go it stops working. Am I missing something there?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollover_%28key%29#Key_jamming_and_ghosting

Pirusu on
  • Options
    Lord JezoLord Jezo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollover_%28key%29#Key_jamming_and_ghosting

This is a good read (sale-sy on the X4, but still explains it)
    http://www.microsoft.com/appliedsciences/content/projects/AntiGhostingExplained.aspx

Lord Jezo on
    Clipboard03.jpg
    I KISS YOU!