As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nibcrom's Thread

• earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    That looks a bit better to me. When I want to get a lot of variance in my lines I just up the brush size and draw very lightly unless I want to push for thickness.

I like the new comic, the dialog flows exactly like a real conversation.

earthwormadam on
  • NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    squidbunny wrote: »
    I can't help but have radical line weight shifts when inking with a tablet; you must have yours set stiffer than mine. Mine generally feels like an overloaded brush. Or maybe you're just using a thinner weight, pressing hard and taking it slow? Either way, I'ma chime in and say that more width variance could add a little more visual interest, sure, but I've never had issues with your inks; they're not totally stale and static or anything.

Yeah, I ink really slowly. It's probably partially because I have a Large tablet. My line weights right now are only between 5 and 15 pixels. I noticed when I'm sketching really fast in Photoshop that I have more line variance, but I hardly ever do that.

Thanks for the feedback on the inking. I appreciate it.

NibCrom on
    edited January 2011
    That looks a bit better to me. When I want to get a lot of variance in my lines I just up the brush size and draw very lightly unless I want to push for thickness.

I like the new comic, the dialog flows exactly like a real conversation.

Thanks, Adam. I did push the line weights a little bit more, it's subtle, but I think it helps. I'm going to continue to experiment. I'm not looking for crazy line variance, but I think a little variety helps. Glad you liked the comic.

NibCrom on
    edited January 2011
    I'm reposting this comic, only because the following comic doesn't make much sense without it.

20110110.jpg

20110131.jpg

NibCrom on
    edited March 2011
    I made a new logo for my comic.

NibcromLives43.png (version 1)

Thoughts?

NibCrom on
  • JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    When I look at it, my eyes go to the middle, and not really reading "Nibcrom" first. I'm not sure if you are committed to all-black, but maybe a different color for "Lives"? A dark gray maybe?

JLM-AWP on
    edited March 2011
    Well there's no coloring yet. This is just the black and white version. I wanted to make sure it works in black and white before I started adding colors. But different colors for Nibcrom and Lives is a good suggestion.

NibCrom on
    edited March 2011
    Does this version help draw your eye to the "N"?

NibcromLives44.png (version 2)

Or this... the "N" is wider, matching the width of the "M", but the descender of the "N" is wider than the descender of the "M".

NibcromLives45.png (version 3)

NibCrom on
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The only problem I see is that the N could be mistaken for an r.

ChicoBlue on
    edited March 2011
    On this version ChicoBlue?

NibcromLives43.png (version 1)

Does this version address that issue?

NibcromLives44.png (version 2)

EDIT: added version labels to make discussion easier.

NibCrom on
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is that the uppercase N of that font? It looks sort of lowercasey, which conflicts a bit with the use of uppercase letters through the rest of the graphic.

If you could finagle something to look more like an uppercase N while still adhering to the features of the rest of the font, it might solve the r problem.

I did a quick and dirty fiddle:
    buhbuh.jpg

But then again, maybe it's just me seeing the r.

ChicoBlue on
    edited March 2011
    Well, there is no font, I'm just drawing the letters in Illustrator. But I did have the N like that in an earlier version.

NibcromLives47.png (version 4)

My worry with that "N" was that it didn't have enough design unity with the other letters. Does it still look like part of the same family?

NibCrom on
    edited March 2011
    I think it works with the rest of letters, though you'll havta change the M now. The N is angular, while the M is blocky if you catch my drift. Pretty much how the old M looks. Oh and the V should come to a point because it looks like a U

Also I kinda with the lives wasn't as thickly bold as the nibcrom, but you kinda have a lot of space to fill so it seems necessary.

earthwormadam on
    edited March 2011
    Okay, I modified the N and the M to look more like each other. I think it should get rid of some of the confusion. I didn't change the V. I experimented with a more pointy V, but I felt like it didn't match the rest of the blocky letters. Is the V confusing anyone else?

NibcromLives61.png (version 5)

NibCrom on
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think the V's okay. "Liues" doesn't mean anything so I think most folk will automatically read that as a V.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • harrykharryk Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Looks good to me.

harryk on
    edited June 2011
    JLM, Chico, Adam, Squid, Harry - Thanks for the feedback. I've been working on incorporating the logo into a new Web site.

New comic!

20110627.jpg

NibCrom on
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2011
    I think it's funnier without the final speech bubble. As a rule of thumb, it's a good idea to avoid using punchlines which involve a character stating what the audience is probably thinking. Humour chiefly comes from surprise, and that's not surprising.

tynic on
    edited June 2011
    yup nix that 4th panel stat

woo more comix please

earthwormadam on
    edited June 2011
    Tynic, Adam: is this any better?

20110627B.jpg

NibCrom on
  • MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yes, much better.

Mustang on
    Thanks, Mustang.

20110718.jpg

Unnggg the whisperer prefix.....nothing makes me yell at the television more than that. It's almost at -gate prefix levels of pissing me off.

Sooorryyyy

Does this version still look okay to people? I'm worried that the "N" reads like an "r"

NibcromLives61.png

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Im not sure theres much you can do about it without making the N in its standard capital letter form some how. It reads fine to me, but I already know it says Nibcrom.

Yeah... I think I'm gonna have to change it back to a regular looking N. I showed it to one person and she couldn't read it. I guess that's one of the limitations of having a made up word in a title. Thanks for the feedback, Iruka.

Sorry to keep posting this. How's this look?

NibcromLives37.png

Alright, I think I'm done.

NibcromLives46.jpg

T-shirt design for my dad:

guldbergracing3.png

I don't understand that at all because presumably it's family stuff but he is going to love that.

... unless your dad is a jerk, which I doubt somehow.

header_image_sm.jpg
    Thanks, Squidbunny. Haha... yeah... I guess that's pretty much all inside info. The acorn shape is kind of a parody of the Ferrari logo with the Italian colors and the prancing horse swapped for a Norwegian flag and a squirrel. He has a love/hate relationship with squirrels, so I figured I'd include that. He has Norwegian flags on his helmet, so I included that as well. I figured he could wear it on track days.

It's even better with some context and I feel like a dumbass for not immediately picking up on that fact that it's a Ferrari take-off; now that you point it out it's obvious. I think car people will get that aspect immediately.

header_image_sm.jpg
    Yeah, that would probably be more obvious outside the family if it was just the middle element and more of a car logo than a crest. Thanks for the feedback.

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    What about the gold mountain? Where's the goddamn gold mountain!?
    :p

m3nace on
    My dad doesn't have a Ferrari if that's what you're asking. :p

The squirrel thing could just as easily be a parody of the Lamborghini bull, the Porsche horse or the Cadillac… ducks.

edited December 2011
    I like it, but I wouldn't mind seeing it without the chequered flags and a thinner stroke on the squirrel.

Edit: Actually scratch that, I changed my mind. Though I still think a thinner stroke on everything would be better, it dominates rather than defines the design.

Mustang on
    That's something to consider. I guess I'll see what it looks like when the first t-shirt arrives.

• amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    The logo looks good, also I just wanted to say I am digging your comic. I've enjoyed the conan terminator cross over.

edit: (damn forums cutting off my post) but you've gotta clean up the site design. Your blog shows the last 40 entries or so which causes some insane v-scroll. Try limiting it to the last three entries, or just keep the bottom blog for actual blogging and let the rss handle the posts. Just my .02

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
    The logo looks good, also I just wanted to say I am digging your comic. I've enjoyed the conan terminator cross over.

edit: (damn forums cutting off my post) but you've gotta clean up the site design. Your blog shows the last 40 entries or so which causes some insane v-scroll. Try limiting it to the last three entries, or just keep the bottom blog for actual blogging and let the rss handle the posts. Just my .02

Thanks, man. Yeah, I've put off reformatting the blog cause I'm gonna have a completely new site before the year is over. The next one is only going to have 2 or 3 blog posts at a time.