As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PA Weight Loss Challenge: Thread 2. Yep, we're still at it.

KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
l781654619.jpg

What say you PA? Are you a bad enough dude(duddette) to get in shape?

This is the official DnD Weigh Loss Challenge. Doesn't matter if you have 5, 10, 20, 40 lbs to lose (or gain), feel free to join in. There's no judging here, no harsh stares. Unless you get on webcam. Every 30 days the participants will report with their progress. There will be tears. There will be laughter. And hopefully there will be self improvement. We been at this for almost a year now and there's some great improvements, and this thread has served as a constant motivator for myself and others.

Joining is simple. Just add yourself to HERE and start at it.

Resources:
www.sparkpeople.com
Yeah, the site design is atrocious, but there's tons of good stuff here. It's a good place to keep track of calories for food, get a workout plan, and mark your progress. It also has sparkpages, so you have another outlet to flaunt your sexy new selves. Official DnD Spark Team

Progress Pics:
Feel like showing off? Just PM your photos.
Halibut
Before/After:
Front body:
body-front-before.jpgbody-front-after.jpg
Side body:
body-side-before.jpgbody-side-after.jpg
Front face:
face-front-before.jpgface-front-after.jpg
Side face:
face-side-before.jpgface-side-after.jpg

Kyougu
l.jpg
l.jpg
196863_10150166156368185_650238184_7986758_5093655_n.jpg

Tips and Tricks:
-Weight loss, contrary to what some people think is not impossible. It's all about making the right choices, and plenty of motivation. We can't help you out with the first, but you'll find plenty of the second.
-Count your calories for the first week at least. When you realize how much a snickers is, you'll start thinking twice.
-Everything in moderation. Feel like eating out with friends? Go ahead. Treat yourself every once in a while. If you binge, or fall of the wagon, just keep at it.
-There's no diets. Think of it as a lifestyle change.
-You'll never regret going to the gym, but you'll always regret having skipped it.

Kyougu on

• DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I think my weight loss is starting to slow down a bit. Probably no more 2lb/week, but more like somewhere between 1-2lb. May or may not be related to me starting to lift some weights.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    I've been plateauing for the past two weeks.

I haven't been overeating, but I have been eating pretty shitty since PAX.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • JadedJaded Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm in the same boat. Dropped from 242 to 228 just doing WiiActive and watching what I eat, but now I'm stuck right around that point. It's either add another workout to the day and burn 440 - 500 calories or start adding some other form of activity I think...

Feeling a little defeated... and I don't like it.

Jaded on
    I can't think of anything clever.
    edited March 2011
    I think I just dipped too low in calories, which slowed my body a bit. Returning from PAX, I ate very little the whole day. A good 900 calories under the norm.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • MalReynoldsMalReynolds The Hunter S Thompson of incredibly mild medicines Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd just like to say congratulations to the thread, which has lost just over 100 pages.

MalReynolds on
    "A new take on the epic fantasy genre... Darkly comic, relatable characters... twisted storyline."
    "Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor
    My new novel: Maledictions: The Offering. Now in Paperback!
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd just like to say congratulations to the thread, which has lost just over 100 pages.

Good job thread!

mrt144 on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Truly an inspiration to us all.

Kyougu on
  • geckahngeckahn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    mrt144 wrote:
    Paleo and Raw use the same rationale of prehistorical diets being the best because modern diets have all these issues attendant with them like heart disease, diabetes, and thusly diets from a time where we only have archeological evidence to support them are superior.

Sure, they're different in practice but they're cut from the same cloth in basis and rationale.

And barefoot running has that same rationale going for it; shoes cause problems because they aren't natural, thus running without shoes like our prehistoric ancestors did is superior.

Well there's also all the evidence in favor of it to contend with. You're making it out to be some crazy idea with nothing backing it up.

geckahn on
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Three more weeks to go until my cousin's wedding. I'd like to drop 10lbs of fat before then, but I have to be realistic.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    geckahn wrote: »
    mrt144 wrote:
    Paleo and Raw use the same rationale of prehistorical diets being the best because modern diets have all these issues attendant with them like heart disease, diabetes, and thusly diets from a time where we only have archeological evidence to support them are superior.

Sure, they're different in practice but they're cut from the same cloth in basis and rationale.

And barefoot running has that same rationale going for it; shoes cause problems because they aren't natural, thus running without shoes like our prehistoric ancestors did is superior.

Well there's also all the evidence in favor of it to contend with. You're making it out to be some crazy idea with nothing backing it up.

I just hate appeals to the mythic natural state of man because they are often a substitute or shortcut for evidence.

mrt144 on
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, I've been bad over the past two days. Yesterday, work fed us for St. Paddy's Day, and among the food present was ice cream. That is one of my major weaknesses, and I caved in, having a big bowl of it. Probably had a good 1000 calories with that a toppings. Today, it was the regular lunch out with coworkers, and I caved again and had an insanely greasy burger that was probably also 1000 calories. I'm eating light dinners and exercising more, but I think there's a good chance that come morning, I'll still be up from Tuesday, but I'm hoping doubling my daily exercise will cover that.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Today I have eaten

A good size bowl of kashi shredded wheat (which I recommend because it's pretty tasty)
    A smallish protein shake
    A subway personal veggie pizza w/ tomatoes and bell peppers(Never again at 730 calories. Jesus fuck)
    A small handful of almonds
    Some whole wheat pita chips (a whole pocket, cut up) with hummus

Thinking about having a bit of soup or a salad since I'm feeling hungry.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm pretty much at my main target weight (current = 152, goal = 150).
    Feeling kinda motivated to lose 10 more. Be lighter than I've ever been.
    But I think I want to focus more on toning up a bit.

skettios on
    edited March 2011
    This Morningstar corn dog better be good, LadyM.

You win this round.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited March 2011
    I bought a pack of those today. Gonna try them this week sometime.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    edited March 2011
    Are those suppose to be healthy (as much corndogs can be)? I been craving some hotdogs/corn dogs lately.

Kyougu on
    edited March 2011
    Well, 150 calories and only 2.5 grams o' fat.

But, 26g of carbs if you're concerned about that.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • retrovmretrovm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i love the morningstar spicy black bean burgers. SO GREAT.

retrovm on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm just recently recovering from a pretty nasty ankle injury, which packed quite a few pounds on, but I'm looking to get in better shape, period.

Weigh in on January 10th, 2010: 201 lbs

This was a month before I injured my ankle. Now this year:

Weigh in on January 17th: 241 lbs
    Weigh in on March 18th: 222 lbs

I'm looking to get down to 185, a weight I haven't been at since I left for basic training.

jungleroomx on
    edited March 2011
    Gonna go and ride my bike a bit tonight.

Today's eatings were
    1.5-2 cups kashi Honey Almond Flax cereal
    A small handful of almonds
    1-2 cups of lentil soup
    2 or so more handfuls of almonds
    1 cup AE Clementine Greek Yogurt
    2 Morningstar Corn Dogs, baked.

Does that sound about right? I'm just bouncing this off of anyone who will give me a bit of feedback.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    edited March 2011
    That sounds like you're eating way too little if that's all you plan on eating.

I'd recommend meat & eggs, but I believe you're against that. In which, at least get some beans or something.

Compare to my day:

2 Cups of Kashi Go Lean Crunch
    2 Cups of 1% Milk
    Two PB&J Sammiches
    2 Cups of Mint Chocolate Almonds
    Dinner is likely eggs or a lean chicken breast with some beans.
    A corndog for a snack.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited March 2011
    Actually, you're right. I'll make some pita chips later and eat them with hummus. <3

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Alright I'm feeling good about this week. Weigh in tomorrow morning to see if I need to shake up my plan of attack.

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
    edited March 2011
    I forgot how much harder running outside is compared to inside.
    Now my triumph at reaching 30 min on the treadmill doesn't feel so good.
    Hills are hard! (working on strengthening my knees to make them easier and for my own health)

skettios on
    edited March 2011
    Plateau conquered: have lost 30 pounds total.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Congrats, all!

Good progress being made in this thread!

Halibut on
    edited March 2011
    Awesome: needing a belt.
    Not-as-awesome: literally needing a belt because you're not fat enough for your old belt.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
    edited March 2011
    Gotta go clothes shopping today. Yesterday I realized that all my large shirts actually really look way too large on me now.

Kyougu on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I wore a pair of pants yesterday comfortably that used to not fit at all.

Also, I have to redo my goal. Apparently I need to be <179.

This little stint has proven to me that when you're injured, you can't eat like you can when you're burning 1500-2000 calories in exercises daily. It should have been obvious, but I guess I can blame habits and temporary myopia/stupidity.

Good job to everyone in this thread.

I've also been on Special Pops for the first time in my life. This sucks. I hate being singled out.

jungleroomx on
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Alright sweet down another 2 pounds since last week. Placing me at 15 pounds since end of January which is about half of my first goal. Another 15 and I will go sub-200

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
    edited March 2011
    I'm sure they've been posted, but these have helped me out a great deal:

100 Pushups

200 Situps

200 Squats

50 Pullups

jungleroomx on
  • J-PJ-P Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    @JungleRoomx- So going to try that in the next couple of days. Thanks for sharing.

----
    Man, you guys know how to eat.
    ----

I just did that bare foot running today. Felt awesome.

I went for two miles. I didn't do much research into it though. I just heard the idea (forgot the PA person) and said "well, okay then." I never gave much attention to my running technique either, or ever. I just go and do my best to keep a good from and pay attention to my breathing.

My right ankle felt like it was being pulled inward though. I usually walk like a duck, so I just positivly thought "Must be straightening out." Hahaha.

What should I probably look out for, just key things. Cause I'm more of a "cool idea, lets run with it." kinda guy. I find too much info overwhelms me.

Anyhoo, having fun with you guys :D

Oh, Hi, I go by J-P. I just like to move and have fun. The reason for my exercise is to have a healthier brain. For better focus and concentration. I like to draw for long periods of time, and exercise gives me the energy to do so.

J-P on
    Ray gun and sharpies.
    edited March 2011
    I like to start my weeks off with a bang. If anyone else wants to try it, go for it, it's pretty much all the exercise you need all day for a normal person.

TOMORROW MORNING: 9 mile ruck march w/35 pound ruck. ~1500 calories.

(I usually start mine at 3 a.m. so I don't miss breakfast. Trust me, you need to eat after this)

jungleroomx on
    edited March 2011
    J-P wrote: »
    @JungleRoomx- So going to try that in the next couple of days. Thanks for sharing.

It's a very good program, and considering I'm in a career field where situps and pushups are the difference between having a job or not, I can tell you it's helped. I'm currently in physical therapy for my shoulder, so I can't comment on the pushups/pullups, but the other two?

In 3 weeks, I went from doing 50 situps to 70.

In 2 weeks, I went from 40 consecutive squats to 60.

The stuff works. ;)

jungleroomx on
    edited March 2011
    Feel like I'm finally making real, honest progress here in terms of my eating habits, but I am not sure if it's enough to really kickstart this. I hope my scale isn't decieving me. My clothes don't really feel much looser... I haven't really noticed anything fitting differently. I have lost something like 30 lbs since we started with this, but what has it been? A year?

Just feels awfully slow lately. I often wonder if I'm even losing anything some weeks. Maybe I need to get out more.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
    edited March 2011
    It's hard for me to notice any changes, but my parents swear my face is thinner and my gut is receding.

The process is very gradual, so physical changes are easy to miss.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    we're still looking into getting a crosstrainer for the flat, but holding off on it just a bit to see whether this job interview I have tomorrow goes anywhere.

if it does, then we'll wait for me to get a paycheck or two and then go out and get our reward. And since I'll be spending my mornings walking to the bus stop, and then to work, I'll get at least 3k in the morning and then another 3k at night on the way home. So that should be a good start.

Just really need to get through this interview tomorrow.

lonelyahava on
  • HalibutHalibut Passion Fish Swimming in obscurity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    J-P wrote: »
    I just did that bare foot running today. Felt awesome.

I went for two miles. I didn't do much research into it though. I just heard the idea (forgot the PA person) and said "well, okay then." I never gave much attention to my running technique either, or ever. I just go and do my best to keep a good from and pay attention to my breathing.

My right ankle felt like it was being pulled inward though. I usually walk like a duck, so I just positivly thought "Must be straightening out." Hahaha.

What should I probably look out for, just key things. Cause I'm more of a "cool idea, lets run with it." kinda guy. I find too much info overwhelms me.

Really, the most important thing is that pain is bad. It either means that you are doing Too Much, Too Soon (TMTS), or that there is something wrong with your form.

Barefoot running is pretty self-regulating in that your feet won't let you run further than you're ready for. You'll also notice problems with your form a lot sooner without all that padding under your heel masking the pain.

Halibut on
    edited March 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Awesome: needing a belt.
    Not-as-awesome: literally needing a belt because you're not fat enough for your old belt.

haha ya, I have similar dilemma, except I only have the one belt. Thinking of just taking a knife and adding a hole
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    It's hard for me to notice any changes, but my parents swear my face is thinner and my gut is receding.

The process is very gradual, so physical changes are easy to miss.

old pictures are great for seeing the changes!

skettios on
  • EWomEWom Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I decided to I need to lose weight, a while ago. This came about because I got sweaty putting on my shoes.

I started my "program" in Feb. I started at 275 lbs. I'm now 255 lbs.

My program consists primarily of cutting out soda and all the snacking I do from my day to day life. While I still am drinking some soda, it is nothing compared to the 5+ cans a day I was drinking. I've pretty much cut out the snacks, which used to be stuff like cookies, microwave burritos, potato chips and other shit that's not good for you. If I "need" a snack now, I try and make it a piece of fruit, or nuts, or something like that.

My program has me starting out with light exercise, which is just walking right now. I've got several fairly major injuries, that bother me daily (and the excess weight doesn't help them any), that resulted in me being hit by a truck while riding my bike about 5 years ago. I don't have a set distance I walk. I just go and walk, until my really bad knee, starts hurting too bad, then I head back. The colder it is outside, the faster it hurts.

My goal is to lose 100lbs total, and go from 275 to 175.

EWom on
    Whether they find a life there or not, I think Jupiter should be called an enemy planet.