As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halo Reach || Daily Challenge: Post in The New Thread, This One Is Done

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    We were all pretty giddy last night when we pulled the rush off successfully.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Highlands is boring when none of you fucks are on.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Sorry for the echoing mic, it's the controller doing it. Should get one of those Reachtrollers...

Also, I have an extra Defiant code because it turns out my brother already bought Defiant. Wonder what to do with it..

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    :v:
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Sorry for the echoing mic, it's the controller doing it. Should get one of those Reachtrollers...

Also, I have an extra Defiant code because it turns out my brother already bought Defiant. Wonder what to do with it..

Well a forum giveaway of some kind, of course.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wheee- wait, I didn't spawn with a jetpack.
    How did I get up here?
    So very, very far up here...

Gonna renew my Bungie Pro soon, then I'll get the actual clip up on my fileshare. Maybe by that time Bungie will have rendering Defiant maps up too.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ok well new mappack means I'll be getting back into some Halo multi shortly. Once I get my next lot of pay.

Will be looking to you all for party-ing goodness.

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Reports across the interwebs and my testing indicate that Unearthed's weighting dramatically increased last night and there are now 3 voting rounds in the Firefight playlists. Someone said they got Unearthed 3 times in a row.

It appears to try and offer you Unearthed first for every vote.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If I get the job I interviewed for tuesday I might end up only being able to late night halo, as it's a 3rd shift job. Good to see there're some folks here on something like that schedule. Also thanks maximumzero for helping me mostly pwn some mostly noobs.

My pleasure. I can honestly say I've gotten better at this game in the last 9 months or so. Back when I first picked up Halo 3 I was absolutely terrible at multiplayer. Alot of "Wait, I shot you more why aren't you dead?" moments.

That being said, anyone here own the Xbox 360 wireless headset? I'm considering picking one up but I'm wondering if they're just as terrible as the Play & Charge kits. (I.E. works for about a month)

I've had my Microsoft wireless headset for about a year now, maybe longer. Would recommend.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Kor wrote: »
    If I get the job I interviewed for tuesday I might end up only being able to late night halo, as it's a 3rd shift job. Good to see there're some folks here on something like that schedule. Also thanks maximumzero for helping me mostly pwn some mostly noobs.

My pleasure. I can honestly say I've gotten better at this game in the last 9 months or so. Back when I first picked up Halo 3 I was absolutely terrible at multiplayer. Alot of "Wait, I shot you more why aren't you dead?" moments.

That being said, anyone here own the Xbox 360 wireless headset? I'm considering picking one up but I'm wondering if they're just as terrible as the Play & Charge kits. (I.E. works for about a month)

I've had my Microsoft wireless headset for about a year now, maybe longer. Would recommend.

Sweet. I've been eyeballing the Halo Reach edition over at Newegg for a little under $40. Might buy it before the day's over.

I really want the Halo Reach console for that matter. It being smaller means I can probably actually stand the damn thing up vertically in my bookcase. Alas that's $400 I can't justify spending.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So did anyone else discover that you can get the new achievements in custom games?

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So did anyone else discover that you can get the new achievements in custom games?

Everyone.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I figure it was karmic justice for their poor implementation

noble's achievements = the right way to do it

defiant's achievements = the wrong way to do it

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah the bungie forums are aflame with "you're gonna get banned for it" "NUH UH" talk.

I downloaded the gametypes, I plan on cheesing them later.

NeuralFizz on
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cheesing an achievement is the saddest thing.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    NeuralFizzNeuralFizz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    EvilBadman wrote: »

Shhh sperger

NeuralFizz on
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Acheesements.

hailthefish on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    EvilBadman wrote: »

But cheesing weeklys are okay in your book?

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    BTB Boneyard. Forgot how much fun.

joshgotro on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I have yet to play on Defiant multiplayer maps.

let's do this

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    joshgotro wrote: »
    BTB Boneyard. Forgot how much fun.

I generally rock on Boneyard. It's really not my kind of map, but I always seem to do well. It's weird.

Daris on
  • Options
    CatalaseCatalase Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I still have to cheese Noble's achievements. :(

Catalase on
    "Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination."
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh man, the weekly update is so good

ACTION SACK RETURNS
    ACTION SACK
    This is a new 4v4 playlist inspired by community map and game variants. The initial lineup isn’t as insane as some players may expect, we’re using this playlist to introduce new gametypes that we’ve scripted up. We’ll be looking at feedback and suggestions for future additions to this playlist, so drop by the Optimatch forum and tell us about your favorite wacky 4v4 gametypes!

Power Slayer
    This Slayer gametype is designed to allow players to gain special traits based on the types of kills they perform. Currently there are traits for Basic Kill, Melee Kill, Assassination Kill and Headshot Kill. Each time you perform one of these kills you will gain the traits assigned to that kill for 10 seconds. Killing another player during this period will refresh your timer back to 10 seconds and extend your powers. You can also chain them together to gain multiple types of powers, so if you Melee Kill a player and then Headshot Kill a player before your timer runs out, you’ll gain the traits of both kill types. We haven’t finalized the default traits for each kill type yet, but these will also be configurable in custom games so you can create your own!

Speedpile
    The idea of this gametype was based on Stockpile and allows players to carry multiple flags on their back while still using weapons, vehicles and equipment. When a player touches a flag it will automatically attach to their back and will only drop when they are killed. Flags can be assigned different point values which are displayed above the flag in your HUD. Flags which are worth more than 1 point will be larger and on fire as well. Delivering the flags to your Speedpile goal zone will instantly score them and cause the flags to respawn at their original location. This is not a Stockpile variant, so if you want to setup your own maps to work with the gametype you’ll need to Forge it using the Speedpile game variant to have access to the appropriate labels.

Speedflag

This one is pretty simple, it’s a CTF variant which allows you to carry the flag on your back at all times. Just like in Speedpile, you can still use weapons, vehicles and equipment without dropping the flag. It’s worth mentioning that the only way to drop the flag is to either score or be killed, so make sure you want to carry the flag as long as possible before picking it up, you can’t pass it off to a teammate without sacrificing yourself. This game variant will work with any map which is already setup for CTF.

HammerBall / Hockey

In this gametype, Golf Balls spawn on specific points and players use Gravity Hammers to hit them towards a board which has multiple goals that each have different point values. The map we setup was one we found in the Community and we mirrored it so each team of 4 is back to back with a barrier preventing them from interfering with each other, unless of course you’re playing HammerBall Xtreme. The goals are created by team specific hill markers labeled as goals with spawn sequencer set to the point value of the goal. If the Golf Ball reaches the goal, it will be scored and your team will score points equal to the score specified in the object properties. This brings me to our next gametype… Hockey! Hockey uses a game variant of HammerBall and is played on a hockey rink map that we found in the Community as well.

Updates. KotH Tactics returns from Halo 2!
    Random List of Additional Changes

* KOTH now has game variant support for Multiple Teammate Scoring allowing multiple teammates to gain score for their team while in the hill.
    * All KOTH matchmaking variants now have a hill movement time of 1 minute.
    * All KOTH matchmaking gametypes now allow equipment use while in the hill (2v2/4v4 gametypes limit equipment to Sprint, Jetpack and Hologram – Armor Lock removed from all KOTH loadouts).
    * All KOTH matchmaking gametypes now have 1 frag starting grenades.
    * Added a HUD widget for CTF gametypes which show when your flag is away from home or held by an enemy.
    * More softkills on Pinnacle, Uncaged, Hemorrhage, Countdown and Asylum.
    * Modified all default matchmaking map variants to support a static initial hill while playing Crazy Random King.
    * Slayer game variants in 6v6 playlists are now 75 to win.
    * 3 Ball is now 300 to win.
    * Replaced Banshees with Falcons in all non-Invasion gametypes on Breakpoint.
    * Increased Banshee respawn time to 180s on Paradiso.
    * Decreased the frequency of Bro Slayer and Invasion Skirmish in the Noble Map Pack playlist.
    * Replaced all Slayer game entries on The Cage with Uncaged in all playlists.
    * Removed all objective game entries on The Cage in all playlists.
    * Removed Pinnacle from Team Snipers.
    * Removed Evade from The Arena and Double Team gametypes.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So a ton of stuff was patched for the better. Thanks bungie!

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm on if anyone wants to play. CaptainNemo1138

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I'm on if anyone wants to play. CaptainNemo1138

Adding you in a bit.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    3-WAVE RETURNS!!! (Minus the grappling hook)
    (Quake 2 3-wave CTF was the first variant of CTF in a FPS I ever played.)

So now the Cage is just a straight slayer map?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Aside from the spawn system's affinity for respawning players by the plasma launcher, I really liked The Cage. I wish it weren't being entirely replaced.

Arteen on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ahh Batigh... we were all ready to play Saurian Pursuit, but then you didn't have it on your file share. :?

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    JesuitsJesuits Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    Ahh Batigh... we were all ready to play Saurian Pursuit, but then you didn't have it on your file share. :?

Aw man, how many did you have? Are you still there?

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jesuits wrote: »

9 people and yea, still here

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Jesuits wrote: »

9 people and yea, still here

Jumpin on

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey Viscount, have you ever played Reach with LtmKilla?
    I saw your gamertag/profile pop up in one of his videos

Snowblindvictim on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So I has two videos.

One and Two

Any Bungie Pro users out there would be so kind as to render these for me by any chance? One's a clip of me knocking a mongoose off the road into the water with minimal effort and one the following:

Somehow when the mongoose I was riding on the back on flipped I ended up on the hood.

rSzhTl.jpg

Favorite shot of the night:

vF7Hg.jpg

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sorry for leaving you high and dry, Max. I'm down with bronchitis and Reach is hard to do well in when your coughing up a lung.

CaptainNemo on
    PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I has two videos.

One and Two

Any Bungie Pro users out there would be so kind as to render these for me by any chance? One's a clip of me knocking a mongoose off the road into the water with minimal effort and one the following:

Render'd. Those were some fun games!

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So I has two videos.

One and Two

Render'd. Those were some fun games!

Thank you my good man. Uploaded to Youtube for ease of viewing for the folks 'round here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9Lq6GO5Np4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPEXJB8kavo

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I am glad that the map has met with critical acclaim! The positive response moves me to tears.

Updated both the gametype and the map after the playsession:

-waypoints over all humans
    -no friendly fire in order to prevent humans respawning as humans (in 95% of cases)
    -no railings between starting mongeese
    -initial human spawns moved to behind mongeese instead of in front
    -it is possible for zombies to get up to falcon platform, if they can thread the eye of a needle at high speeds (this is very hard)
    -redid parts of teleport 3 shortcut to be smoother and faster

Unfortunately, nothing can be done to fix teleporter spawns breaking for the current round when the host migrates; fixing that is entirely Bungie's domain, unless I can come up with a way to gate them that doesn't involve spawn timers. If we play it again with a large group and don't find any further improvements or glaring errors, it shall go to the fileshare.

Jesuits on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey Viscount, have you ever played Reach with LtmKilla?
    I saw your gamertag/profile pop up in one of his videos

No! Not yet! I want to drag him into team donkey kong just to hear his expression of awe and him shouting "this is definitively impossible!"

Viscountalpha on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Also
    HammerBall / Hockey[/B]
    In this gametype, Golf Balls spawn on specific points and players use Gravity Hammers to hit them towards a board which has multiple goals that each have different point values. The map we setup was one we found in the Community and we mirrored it so each team of 4 is back to back with a barrier preventing them from interfering with each other, unless of course you’re playing HammerBall Xtreme. The goals are created by team specific hill markers labeled as goals with spawn sequencer set to the point value of the goal. If the Golf Ball reaches the goal, it will be scored and your team will score points equal to the score specified in the object properties. This brings me to our next gametype… Hockey! Hockey uses a game variant of HammerBall and is played on a hockey rink map that we found in the Community as well.

Just realized this means I can finally finish and pull off Push Push. I just mark the balls as the soccer ball and put the goal at the top of that ramp.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I've had a couple. Not that they broke, but I bought one, hated it, sold it, and ended up winning another one. I decided to try it out again and still hated it. I don't think they are cheap or anything. I just hate the way it feels on my ear. It always feels like it's going to fall off, so I prefer the regular headsets a lot more.

edit: Thinking about getting the defiant map pack now. Question though, it sounds like both of the multi maps have an end of Reach kind of theme. Is this about right?

anoffday on
    Steam: offday