As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Arts and Crafts with SE++ (or: Sheri's Epic Yarn)

• Options
    Kitten SwarmKitten Swarm Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Thanks Sheri and WaM!

And smof, knitting can be especially nice because if it's a low stress or simple project you can knit while watching TV or a movie. I've knit while being a passenger in the car on long trips too.

If you do decide to knit, most basic beginners books will have handy visual guides for casting on and the technical things you need. I definitely recommend watching some videos on youtube to visually see the motions though, like Usagi proposed. It wouldn't be too pricey to get a pair of needles and some decent yarn to practice with.

The most basic starter item is just a simple garter stitch scarf. If you give it a go, I would chose a simple yarn of even width in a light color. It'll help you see your stitches easier. You can get into the 'funky' yarns later. Chose a yarn that feels good in your hands too, and check the label for washing instructions.

Beginner scarf patterns:
    http://alison.knitsmiths.us/pattern_beginners_scarves.html

Crocheting is a nice craft hobby too, but I haven't picked it up yet.

Kitten Swarm on
    You may learn that one day to your sorrow.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    smof wrote: »
    This thread has inspired me to want to make crap. I used to love doing crafts when I was a kid, now I don't do anything, I don't even draw any more. I would love to know how to knit, or make stuffed toys, or sculpt. Every kind of hobby like that seems like it would be expensive to get all the stuff you need and start though. What's the cheapest way to start making things?

Finger paint. No seriously, I loved doing finger paintings. Some people have pretty impressive stuff to.

Tempera paints aren't terribly expensive are they?

Edit: Check out some of this ladies work. It's pretty neat. I was never able to reach that level, but it's still enjoyable nonetheless.

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Tonkka wrote: »
    Those are pretty rad Lucky. You should try the (superior) wh40k figurines.

This is my subtle hint that you should play wh40k.

Which Warhammer 40,000 miniature would you like me to paint for you?

It is a thing I am going to do, you see, Usagi told me to.

Anything is fine. If you're looking for a specific character to paint, any of the space wolves heroes would do. :o

Ooooooooo neat!

Excellent choice I must say

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hellooo crafters!

I'm resurrecting this delightful thread to see how you're all doing with the craft swap?

I confess that I'm behind with my craftyness with work slamming me, but I should hopefully have cool things to ship by the 15th! Pictures people!

Usagi on
  • Options
    .. Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Welp, I am retarded, I guess. Apparently I forgot what thread the swap business was even in.
    Sorry, Usagi.

. on
    Gimme stuff. Please. And I don't just mean my Secret Satan.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    No worries luv, I had been meaning to bring this back up this week anyway so thanks for reminding me!

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    OMG I got two amazing pairs of earrings and an earring stand from EP in the mail yesterday! They're gorgeous and I can't wait to wear them, thank you so much!!! :D

Pictures when I get home from work and unearth my camera

Usagi on
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    How'd I miss this?

I'm slowly learning to knit.

I'm pretty bad thus far, but will probably improve some day.

I aim to make a sweater for my wife by this Christmas

Xaquin on
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    hey guys i made a print. i like it a lot. 4 color screenprint

311s9yq.jpg

do you like it too

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    its pretty good yeah

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    do you wanna buy one

edit: this seems more sincere than i meant

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    EclipsedPlanetEclipsedPlanet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Usagi wrote: »
    OMG I got two amazing pairs of earrings and an earring stand from EP in the mail yesterday! They're gorgeous and I can't wait to wear them, thank you so much!!! :D

Pictures when I get home from work and unearth my camera

YAY! I'm glad they made it ok :)

EclipsedPlanet on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    do you wanna buy one

edit: this seems more sincere than i meant
    nah don't worry dude i got you

*flicks wayfarers over eyes, clicks tongue*

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    actually

i'd buy that for a dollar

or ten

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    it is a 30 by 22 inch four color screenprint man

you hustlin'

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh man.

I gotta get to paintin'.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Vann Diras wrote: »
    it is a 30 by 22 inch four color screenprint man

you hustlin'
    like you'll ever see ten bucks in person again

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    listen here i have twenty dollars right here!

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh man.

I gotta get to paintin'.

I painted a mini last night! It was fun :D

skettios on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I wish my craft would get there already so I feel like less of a deadbeat. Unless it has made it and someone hated it so much they haven't posted, as to not hurt my feelings. Woe is me.

Heh. No. Just get there already, mail person. You slow!

. on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Still waiting on pictures of that jewelry, Usagi. And news of others crafts received, of course.

I need a recommendation for a good book on basic knitting and one on crochet. And I mean, I am absolutely brain-startling retarded when it comes to knitting or crocheting. I can single and double stitch in crochet. Not a thing on knitting. I found my grandmother's stash of knitting needles (roughly 30-40 pairs) and I would like to put them to use.

. on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Eclipsed! I sent you your prize earlier today. Should arrive sometime next week. I have pictures if you want to see it now, or you can wait!

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    maybe this is a good thread to ask

i remember there being this site where you could buy these wood/bamboo blocks that were ready to hang on the wall

you could get all different sizes, and the front side had an adhesive so you could apply posters/prints to it and then you had a print with a fancy wood backing that could be hung.

cannot remember what site that was

Vann Diras on
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ah fuck

I apologize to swap participants, as life has apparently taken over and I totally forgot please don't hate me

Sheri on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    . wrote: »
    Still waiting on pictures of that jewelry, Usagi. And news of others crafts received, of course.

I need a recommendation for a good book on basic knitting and one on crochet. And I mean, I am absolutely brain-startling retarded when it comes to knitting or crocheting. I can single and double stitch in crochet. Not a thing on knitting. I found my grandmother's stash of knitting needles (roughly 30-40 pairs) and I would like to put them to use.

Oh Plut!

The blanket is rad! I have been wrapped in it the last three days...

I ate the candy and drank the tea as well.

My crafty thingy is going out next week because I couldn't be bothered to go get an appropriate size box to ship it in. I blame the comfy blanket.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm gonna post a few photos I did this week in this thread because it seems like a good place for it.

tumblr_liakumMg821qebaylo1_500.jpg

5539471726_88c464bfd5_z.jpg

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey! I know there are some fine writers in SE++, so if anyone's wasting time this weekend and looking for something to do, I'm giving away $100 for the best submission to birdville before Friday (25/03). Any short story will cut it, and it doesn't have to be expressly written for the purpose - if you've got something lingering around that you always thought you should do more with, clean it up and send it over.

Obviously judgement will be impartial and the best story will win, but it's my own damned money so it'll make me happier if I end up giving it to one of you jerks whom I actually like, rather than a random.

more info

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    DaricDaric Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Artreus wrote: »
    I'm gonna post a few photos I did this week in this thread because it seems like a good place for it.

tumblr_liakumMg821qebaylo1_500.jpg

I love seeing where the best holds are based on where the chalk buildup is.

Daric on
    cc61181c22f23454a304a4f1f0867845044.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Sheri wrote: »
    Ah fuck

I apologize to swap participants, as life has apparently taken over and I totally forgot please don't hate me

Truly the greatest of crimes.

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    It was actually kind of tricky sometimes because a hold would be really chalked up because a bunch of people went for it, but then it turns out that they were wrong and it was just a really awful hold.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    CHECK THIS OUT!

only took me about 6-8 hours!

So+Far.jpg

I am not gods gift to knitting

yet

Xaquin on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Looking good Xaquin!

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Tonkka! Can you post a pic? I can do it, if not. It's just kind of a pain.

Oh, and you ate the candy? What flavor was it?

Plant the catnip!

. on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    . wrote: »
    Tonkka! Can you post a pic? I can do it, if not. It's just kind of a pain.

Oh, and you ate the candy? What flavor was it?

Plant the catnip!

Sadly I am work and did not bring it with me... so no picture just yet.

The candy was... like, kiwi or something? It was good.

I will probably take the catnip to my parents house next week so they can plant it. They will then have to get a cat that I can visit.

Tonkka on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    That candy was supposed to be guava. I wouldn't have guessed either, personally.
    Well, post a pic when you can. And I'm glad you liked it.

Ohh, if that catnip thing works with your parents, I know what I am getting mine. I could use more cats. The four around here just aren't enough. Heh.

. on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh maybe that was it.

Guava sounds right.

I'm hoping to get an "action" picture... of me on the couch wrapped in the blanket.

Tonkka on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh maybe that was it.

Guava sounds right.

I'm hoping to get an "action" picture... of me on the couch wrapped in the blanket.

Myspace pose in the blanket. Complete with duck lips and too much mascara.

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Art is that sandstone?

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I believe it is, yes.

Artreus on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man, that stuff looks pretty.

I've ever done sandstone once. All the stuff locally is all granite with one patch of limestone.

Going to Thailand to do a shitload of limestone next month, going to be rad.

Blake T on