As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Need your feedback: @PAX_Lines, @PAX_Tourney & @Official_PAX

2»

• VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Very useful lists! Admittedly, I didn't get a chance to check them as much as I wanted because my wife's phone broke so I gave her mine (and ended up with a $12 phone that had no internet access =( ), but the PAX tweets proved useful back at Prime and when I did get the chance to check them they were also useful here at East!

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
  • rnicollrnicoll Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I'd say 90% of the time it was me parsing through a lot of information (through texts, my Evernote, etc) and posting. I did ALL of the Satellite Theatre stuff, and Robert did about 50% of MT. I'm surprised my iPhone screen didn't break or that I didn't plow through people with my head down as I walked through the entire weekend.

First of all, the tweets were brilliant, and REALLY helped.

I hadn't realised that you were roving and tweeting, though. I would have thought it would have made more sense to give the information desk a computer or two and centralise information flow through them. Just a thought, could be I've missed something huge in how the structure of this works...

rnicoll on
  • OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    pax twitter and pax lines were amazingly useful. From helping us figure out when to get in line, to helping me get my hotel room ASAP, it was fantastic. WILL use again.

Onmitsu on
    Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • shadowshipshadowship Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    @Officials_PAX

I love the PAX a lot. This is second year of PAXeast for me. Three things I want to express about. The first thing is that Food Court area. Instead of making two seperate area of food court. Why not making one giant area of food court instead? I spend a lot of time in Expo Hall and Table Tops area. I am wondering if Expo Hall can expand more to fit people in comfortably, instead of 20,000+ people cram into one space. The last thing I want to express about, is providing breakfasts. I like that idea, but I think you guys should set up some by the side entrance of the convenation center where people are being drop off from the hotel (aka where Coat check in). It'll be nice though.

shadowship on
  • LoptLopt Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think hourly CFP/PC updates could be good. I'm putting this in my notes... I actually can't make it to prime this year, so the more feedback I get the better it will be for the person I'll be handing this off to.

I know it was sometimes hard for us to give accurate estimates of freeplay wait times. Also, the line length changed so often. Would updates for when the line gets EXTREMELY small be more appropriate? One person in line==>text MGR?

This is Old Growth btw.
    And I'm making some quinoa and didn't read this whole thread, so sorry if this is unneeded...

Lopt on
  • mygiantrobotmygiantrobot Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    rnicoll wrote: »
    First of all, the tweets were brilliant, and REALLY helped.

I hadn't realised that you were roving and tweeting, though. I would have thought it would have made more sense to give the information desk a computer or two and centralise information flow through them. Just a thought, could be I've missed something huge in how the structure of this works...
    Well, I did have access to a computer but it was way more fun to see some of the show, do another job (I also work VIP assistance) and to, like, eat food. Most of the time I was in Enforcerland eating granola on a sumo while I worked so that isn't too bad :)

Also, my phone is essentially a computer! Nothing more central than that!

Structure:
    - I get texts from the managers/Khoo/Josh/whoever on numbers.
    - I update.

Given the awesome wifi at the con, I could roam around while doing this.

mygiantrobot on
    <kelp> i'm in ur oceans, housin ur otters

I make costumes.
    edited March 2011
    shadowship wrote: »
    @Officials_PAX

I love the PAX a lot. This is second year of PAXeast for me. Three things I want to express about. The first thing is that Food Court area. Instead of making two seperate area of food court. Why not making one giant area of food court instead? I spend a lot of time in Expo Hall and Table Tops area. I am wondering if Expo Hall can expand more to fit people in comfortably, instead of 20,000+ people cram into one space. The last thing I want to express about, is providing breakfasts. I like that idea, but I think you guys should set up some by the side entrance of the convenation center where people are being drop off from the hotel (aka where Coat check in). It'll be nice though.
    I can't tell if you're trolling me or not. Seriously.

BUT, since those are all general suggestions, try posting those here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=138775

mygiantrobot on

I make costumes.
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    PAX_Lines was great even if I was already in line. Waiting for the Saturday concert, for instance, I was in the upstairs waiting area just outside the theater and it was fun to talk with my line neighbors about how much things were filling up downstairs.

wonderpug on
  • BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I feel like having everyone have to push the updates through you manually is extremely inefficient.
    Wouldn't it just be easier to have the main line enforcer from each theater tweet directly at line formation, [25,50,75]% or [current#]/[max#], and full?
    I know I've seen services that let groups manage a single Twitter account if you don't want everyone having the login info.
    Or have an automated program that receives messages from line enforcers and generates the individual theater tweets as well as the more general ones (e.g. "all 6:30 panels have lots of space").

BoomShake on
    edited March 2011
    BoomShake wrote: »
    I feel like having everyone have to push the updates through you manually is extremely inefficient.
    Wouldn't it just be easier to have the main line enforcer from each theater tweet directly at line formation, [25,50,75]% or [current#]/[max#], and full?
    I know I've seen services that let groups manage a single Twitter account if you don't want everyone having the login info.
    Or have an automated program that receives messages from line enforcers and generates the individual theater tweets as well as the more general ones (e.g. "all 6:30 panels have lots of space").

All worthwhile suggestions -- but the main reason there is one person tweeting is the consistent, positive voice through the entire thing (between Robert and I). It also gave me leeway to answer questions about the entire show and lines without having someone else worry. Then there's also going back to the whole individual tweets vs general tweets (ie do you want to be bombarded more than you were?)

mygiantrobot on

I make costumes.
    edited March 2011
    creid8 wrote: »
    Looooooved @PAX_Lines, was very helpful. Don't have any suggestions except more tweets. You probably covered 90% of the panels and lines, but I could've had another half an hour of con time if I realized how empty one of the panels I went to was beforehand. Again, nothing wrong with how it was last year, but a little more would be even nicer.

90%?

What? Legitimately curious: what 10% did I not cover? (minus expo and all the freeplay areas)

mygiantrobot on

I make costumes.
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I loved it. All the PAX Twitter feeds were very helpful.

The only thing that got me was when you said "NFL 94 Tourney" when it was really an NHL 94 tourney. Seeing NFL, I was like eh, fuck that. I went to the console room and saw a huge sign with NHL 94. I was a little ticked, but I got into the tourney as an alternate (and went in a little too confident and lost 5-1. ugh).

I don't know if you tweeted again to correct that minor mistake, but that is a huge deal for people looking for tourneys. If you name a wrong game (even if it is a sports game :P), that can change people's schedules.

That wasn't really an issue though. I know it has to be really tough keeping up with all these Twitter accounts. Just do what you did at PAX East 2011 and I will be happy.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
    edited March 2011
    redfield85 wrote: »

The only thing that got me was when you said "NFL 94 Tourney" when it was really an NHL 94 tourney. Seeing NFL, I was like eh, fuck that. I went to the console room and saw a huge sign with NHL 94. I was a little ticked, but I got into the tourney as an alternate (and went in a little too confident and lost 5-1. ugh).

I don't know if you tweeted again to correct that minor mistake, but that is a huge deal for people looking for tourneys. If you name a wrong game (even if it is a sports game :P), that can change people's schedules.

That wasn't really an issue though. I know it has to be really tough keeping up with all these Twitter accounts. Just do what you did at PAX East 2011 and I will be happy.

I'm sorry about that >_< Misread my text message, and CCFP didn't give me their tourney schedule until... like, that day.

mygiantrobot on

I make costumes.
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    redfield85 wrote: »

I'm sorry about that >_< Misread my text message, and CCFP didn't give me their tourney schedule until... like, that day.

Yea, I didn't know about that tourney (whether it was NFL or NHL) until that day. I would've planned my day around that tourney if I knew earlier. Hehe.

Tell them to get their butts in gear for Prime! And to also have another NHL 94 Tourney (or NHL 11). :winky:

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • GausGaus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The only thing that I had a complaint about, was they changed the rules for signing up for the Dominion tournament and didn't tweet about it. ( First on Friday, they said that you had to wait until Saturday to sign up for the Saturday tourny. Then late in the day on Friday, they let people sign up, which filled it. So everyone coming back on Saturday morning lost out. )

Gaus on
    Professional assassination. It's the highest form of public service. - Chiun
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I thought the official Twitters were really nice to have. I know PAX Lines helped my buddy and I decide a few times what panels to go see, and we managed to get into a few panels we hadn't planned on going to.

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • creid8creid8 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    creid8 wrote: »
    Looooooved @PAX_Lines, was very helpful. Don't have any suggestions except more tweets. You probably covered 90% of the panels and lines, but I could've had another half an hour of con time if I realized how empty one of the panels I went to was beforehand. Again, nothing wrong with how it was last year, but a little more would be even nicer.

90%?

What? Legitimately curious: what 10% did I not cover? (minus expo and all the freeplay areas)
    I had everyone delay dinner and went and got in line for Merman on Friday night because all the tweets coming from PAX_Lines at the time were about other, busier panels. Waited for 30-45 min or so and the panel wasn't even half full. I think after I got in line there was a tweet about it to the effect of "lots of room" but that was probably ~10 minutes before the panel started. So I guess it was covered, but not as thoroughly as everything else. Again, no big deal.

creid8 on
  • jowjow Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just wanted to thank you for the lines feed. You made my first PAX much easier and more fun. :)

jow on
    Max sig size: 500x80px or 4 lines of text
    doc10.jpg
  • shadowshipshadowship Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    shadowship wrote: »
    @Officials_PAX

I can't tell if you're trolling me or not. Seriously.

BUT, since those are all general suggestions, try posting those here: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=138775

I apologized about that. I didn't saw the other thread.

shadowship on