As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Plant nerds, represent!

1235»

• FoolproofFoolproof thats what my hearts become in that place you dare not look staring back at youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The ones I've seen have much smaller blooms than the breeds that you usually see. The long tubes with the flowery lids (not shown) and the little 'lady slipper' ones are most common. They look like these, but I've never researched it much.

CypripediumAcauleHockingCountyMay20-2005.jpg

thumbnail.aspx?q=502015072848&id=ff87dc06a51d5fa79824b25990bd9ad9

I live and hunt in northern indiana usa and around the michigan peninsula.

Foolproof on
  • MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    When I was younger we had a garden that we'd plant tomatoes, peas, carrots, potatos and other various vegetables. They were great, but we gave up because no matter what we did, deer would get into it and ruin things. They are giant rats with hooves. They ruin everything.

MereHappenstance on
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My family did the same thing when we had our half-acre. We would find the plants trampled and torn and since we lacked deer, it transpired that the neighbour's peahen was getting out of their garden and wrecking everything.

Man, we hated that blasted bird...

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Foolproof wrote: »
    The ones I've seen have much smaller blooms than the breeds that you usually see. The long tubes with the flowery lids (not shown) and the little 'lady slipper' ones are most common. They look like these, but I've never researched it much.

CypripediumAcauleHockingCountyMay20-2005.jpg

thumbnail.aspx?q=502015072848&id=ff87dc06a51d5fa79824b25990bd9ad9

I live and hunt in northern indiana usa and around the michigan peninsula.

They're so lovely! Nice to see them growing in the middle of all the fallen leaves.

Liiya on
  • Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My roommate just got a passion flower tattoo.

It looks pretty damn cool

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Plants are awesome! As soon as I get a good place to live I'm gonna get an itty bitty cactus and name him Pokeymon

Also I really want this cellphone charm!:

vzw6X.jpg

mensch-o-matic on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    it's a wild mensch!

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Hi Druhim how have you been!!! ;3; I've missed you dudes

mensch-o-matic on
    edited March 2011
    doing swell
    usagi and I just bought a HD tv and we've been marveling at how we can actually read text on 360 games without squinting now

but it's a sunny day today so we also want to go out and actually do something

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • .. Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    AxesOfEvil wrote: »
    Also, the folks who owned our house before us had crazy green-thmbs..A huge garden, all sorts of fancy roses, plants everywhere. We've managed to kill most of those though over time.
    Maybe you should get one of those Dinosaur plants. My nephew set one on fire and it still lived. I then wire snipped his guitar strings in half for setting my plant on fire, but the point is, the plant was fine.

. on
    Gimme stuff. Please. And I don't just mean my Secret Satan.
    edited March 2011
    Oh man that's rad

oblig:
    I45YD.gif

mensch-o-matic on
    edited March 2011
    David Austen roses:

1320.jpg

346.jpg
    May 2010

We are celebrating our 15th Gold Medal from the Chelsea Flower Show for our rose display in the Great Pavilion.

Old fashioned English highly scented roses, so lovely, so expensive.

Good to have you back, Mensch!

Liiya on
    edited March 2011
    <3 Thanks! Good to be back! Now if you'll excuse me I'm gonna go fart on the Webcomics thread <3

mensch-o-matic on
    edited March 2011
    Oh man that's rad

oblig:
    I45YD.gif

mensch! You return triumphant

My mum has a tarantula. Turns out tarantula-sitting is very different from minding someone's cat, who'd have thought it

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • AxesOfEvilAxesOfEvil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Edcrab wrote: »
    My mum has a tarantula. Turns out tarantula-sitting is very different from minding someone's cat, who'd have thought it

Is it a more or less interactive job? I really have no idea how much effort is involved in taking care of one, I'm genuinely curious.

AxesOfEvil on
    edited March 2011
    Rosie the Chilean Rose is basically a furry pet rock. As long as she's warm and watered and gets to eat a cricket or two regularly, she seems quite content

Although she ate the plant I put in her tank. Ingrate

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited March 2011
    Do you know what I would do? Put some little model buildings in her tank and then "Oh no! Giant spider attacks town!" .

As long as she doesn't eat them too.

Liiya on
    edited March 2011
    Holy crap

I am totally going to go dig out my old Micro Machines and make that happen

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
    edited March 2011
    Yesss.

Liiya on
    edited March 2011
    also make little clothes for the crickets before feeding them to Rosie

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My mom and sis loves plants and gardening. Personally, I think it is nice but I am not up to the task. Wouldn't mind a small potted plant though.

Muse Among Men on
  • pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "Jiminy, noooooooo!"

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    o man i want a carnivorous plant now

tried to look one up the other day but no dice...

Staleghoti on
    tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
    edited March 2011
    I'd recommend that if you do get a carnivorous plant, do a little research to make sure you're getting a plant that will grow well where you're going to place it including, but not limited to whether you'll be growing it indoors or outdoors. I'd also recommend that you not buy carnivorous plants from a general nursery as they usually don't grow them themself and often give poor info regarding raising them (like telling people to feed hamburger to a venus flytrap).

Also, this may look like a really good deal but you get what you pay for. If you're just going to throw it away after a year or so, then sure it's only $15. If you're actually looking for a plant that you want to raise long term and see thrive, then buy from a reliable nursery that specializes in carnivorous plants.

Contrary to popular opinion, venus flytraps do not thrive in most homes unless grown in a terrarium. They actually do much better outdoors in many areas and can withstand frost/snow. The nursery I buy from grows all their flytraps outdoors and they get some snow most winters, but they thrive just fine. It's generally much more difficult to grow them on a windowsill. If they do survive, they generally won't be all that healthy and will grow slower.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    so now I'm watching pitcher plant timelapses

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trWzDlRvv1M

and also learning about rapid plant movement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgQ5CucGz2M&feature=related

plaaaants

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2011
    Oh my gosh Rapid Plant Movement oh my gosh

I want one and I'd put itty bitty bells on it and love it forever

mensch-o-matic on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm trying to decide what to do with my aloe plants.

We've had them for about two years now, and the first year, they really didn't do a lot. This may have been down to positioning, but also because they were slightly out of the way and as such received a slightly erratic watering schedule.

We've moved though and they have thrived. So much so the phrase grown like weeds has been used. So much so they need new pots.

Although I'm kinda tempted to pop them into the soil and leave them in the ground if we ever leave because I think I have proven that I can grow some more when we leave.

Blake T on
  • AMP'dAMP'd Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    fact: I could listen to david attenborough all day long

AMP'd on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • .. Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    I'd recommend that if you do get a carnivorous plant, do a little research to make sure you're getting a plant that will grow well where you're going to place it including, but not limited to whether you'll be growing it indoors or outdoors. I'd also recommend that you not buy carnivorous plants from a general nursery as they usually don't grow them themself and often give poor info regarding raising them (like telling people to feed hamburger to a venus flytrap).

Also, this may look like a really good deal but you get what you pay for. If you're just going to throw it away after a year or so, then sure it's only $15. If you're actually looking for a plant that you want to raise long term and see thrive, then buy from a reliable nursery that specializes in carnivorous plants.

Contrary to popular opinion, venus flytraps do not thrive in most homes unless grown in a terrarium. They actually do much better outdoors in many areas and can withstand frost/snow. The nursery I buy from grows all their flytraps outdoors and they get some snow most winters, but they thrive just fine. It's generally much more difficult to grow them on a windowsill. If they do survive, they generally won't be all that healthy and will grow slower.

That nursery you linked to has a really great section where you can choose the right plant for you. Indoors/outdoors. Full/filtered light. North/East/South/West windows. It's really neat. That's what I am using right now to decide what plants to get.
    I started my cactus seedlings last night. Considering cacti are considered so hardy and drought-tolerant, their seedlings are picky little things, but I love them so I don't mind the fuss.
    I need to post a picture of our amarylis, they are absolutely gorgeous right now, although you can tell I have not been able to weed the bed around it yet. Still waiting for clearance and all.
    The canteloupe seeds I planted on Monday are already sprouting above the ground about an inch. They were planted an inch deep. I am a little scared of them as they are obviously mutant.

. on
    Gimme stuff. Please. And I don't just mean my Secret Satan.
  • flyinghillbillyflyinghillbilly Registered User new member
    edited August 2012
    I just bought a Lance Leaf Sundew and I have it in a terrarium with my 2 pitcher plants, but it's not sticky. Is this because it is new (to me)? It was a little dry when I got it, but alive. Will it grow new sticky leaves? I probably just need to exercise a little patience and all will be well, but I thought I'd ask as there seems to be a load of good information here. Thank you for any advice you can give.

flyinghillbilly on