As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Pokemon League: East [Now Over :(]

1171819202123»

• Options
    TrionTrion Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Here's my photo album:

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=95895&id=1648862565&l=edb04f6716

Frankly, Cameron will need to step up his game for next year. :wink:

Trion on
  • Options
    ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    BCBarney wrote: »
    I haven't been active on this thread but I wanted to say Thank You! to all the of the gym leaders. I didn't really challenge anyone this year due to the huge lines at the meet ups and couldn't find anyone just walking around. However, I brought my son on Sunday and everyone he went up to was incredibly nice to him.

A huge thank you to Propriety for staying back and battling my son instead of hanging out with his friends. I felt bad but appreciated it.. Just to let you know my son had actually spotted you when you bought your food but I wouldn't let him interrupt you. He then proceeded to follow you until we finally caught up to you.

Also, a thank you to Hiker Bill who was doing other stuff but stopped to battle my son.

Again a thank you to all of the gym leaders. My son has already begun to prep his team in White for next year!

You are most welcome! Your son was adorable and a gracious challenger. I didn't realize I was being tailed! :D
    Trion wrote: »
    Propriety wrote: »

Wish I had run into Cameron the Photographer. I would have loved to have my picture taken with my pokemon. :D Do it again next year, Trion, that's an awesome idea!

Actually, Propriety, I did get your picture! You were in the Doctor Who scarf, right? But I ran into you while you were mid battle and I didn't have time to hang around so I didn't get to do the speech. I'll post the pictures soon.

And I would totally be willing to make a fool of myself again next year. I have no pride. :D

OH MY GOODNESS THANK YOU! First picture of me I've found. It's great! :D Cameron the Photographer strikes again!

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • Options
    redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, will PAX Prime be using BW?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Options
    Blackfox138Blackfox138 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    redfield85 wrote: »
    So, will PAX Prime be using BW?

Yes, only B/W.

Blackfox138 on
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Should be able to post the champions and stuff tomorrow. Been so busy!

Heleor on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    So, how is this going to work for Prime? They took out the auto leveling for battles, didn't they?

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Actually they improved it. Pokemon are leveled up as well as down. I think. Or, at least the few battles I had it did.

Heleor on
  • Options
    WizMasterWizMaster Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nice, having that only during Wifi really sucked. It's great for determining IVs.

WizMaster on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Heleor wrote: »
    Actually they improved it. Pokemon are leveled up as well as down. I think. Or, at least the few battles I had it did.

Oh, well shit. I swore by reading all over the forums that the whole "leveling to 50" thing was taken out. I am a dummy I guess.

Either way, Gym Leaders, I am coming for you! I won't be the laughing stock of the league this time!!

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    League Writeup

First off, thanks to everyone for making the PAX East Pokemon league a huge success! We had a lot of fun times, and a lot of us are now looking forward to planning the second PAX Prime Pokemon League: Make it Double! Well, maybe not such a silly name.

First off, congratulations to the TEN champions that persevered and took down the entire league! You can view the Hall of Fame here.

But before we post information on the new league, we're going to look back to see all the things that worked, things that didn't, and what should be changed! If you have any concerns or questions, feel free to jump to the official forums to post your feedback.

We're not yet accepting leaders for Prime, but if you want to get your application in early FOR PRIME ONLY, there's a place to do so, again at the official forums.

Now, Prepare for Trouble...

Heleor on
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    League Writeup

First off, thanks to everyone for making the PAX East Pokemon league a huge success! We had a lot of fun times, and a lot of us are now looking forward to planning the second PAX Prime Pokemon League: Make it Double! Well, maybe not such a silly name.

First off, congratulations to the TEN champions that persevered and took down the entire league! You can view the Hall of Fame here.

But before we post information on the new league, we're going to look back to see all the things that worked, things that didn't, and what should be changed! If you have any concerns or questions, feel free to jump to the official forums to post your feedback.

We're not yet accepting leaders for Prime, but if you want to get your application in early FOR PRIME ONLY, there's a place to do so, again at the official forums.

*grabs bartender set* Shall I ... "Make it Double"?

Question: Which version would you suggest I buy as a newbie? I mean I know the League is Black and White, but I dunno if there is a learning curve to one or the other.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    League Writeup

*grabs bartender set* Shall I ... "Make it Double"?

Question: Which version would you suggest I buy as a newbie? I mean I know the League is Black and White, but I dunno if there is a learning curve to one or the other.

They're both actually pretty much the same! The only difference is one has an extra forest in it, the other has an extra city, and the legendary you can catch in each game is different... so basically pick whichever game has the legendary on it you like the best. (The big dark-looking beast thing for White version or the white kind of flowy fluffy thing for Black version).

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    They're absolutely the same, except for the Pokemon you can catch in each. ;)

Heleor on
  • Options
    CoxyCoxy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, there s ONE part that's different. In White, you'll be encountering a handful of Triple Battles; in Black, you learn about Rotation Battles instead. If you know enough about either to decide which format you're more comfortable with, that can factor into your version choice too.

Coxy on
  • Options
    GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Posted the videos I took of the PPL in the forums which you can find here. Enjoy!

Gameshark on
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thanks Heleor, Coxy, and Propriety. Which would be easier for a newbie to learn then: a triple battle or a rotation battle?

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Thanks Heleor, Coxy, and Propriety. Which would be easier for a newbie to learn then: a triple battle or a rotation battle?

There's only about two trainers that use the battles (somewhat after the flying leader) and they're really easy to take down either way.

Heleor on
  • Options
    SupahSupah Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anyone got a good method for leveling pokemon? Even abusing the elite four its taking forever for me to hit 100... I never even finished my team for pax =/

Supah on
  • Options
    cove_kidcove_kid Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Supah wrote: »
    Anyone got a good method for leveling pokemon? Even abusing the elite four its taking forever for me to hit 100... I never even finished my team for pax =/

Why exactly are you leveling your team to 100? For the last two PAX Pokemon Leagues that I participated in, since we are using HS/SS Flat Battle, just leveling your team to 50 was fine, because they are rounded down. The only time I went past 50 was for evolutions (like Dragonite) or for certain moves learned at higher levels.

And if what others are saying about BW, leveling even goes up now. So once you have the moves and EV's you want, you are ready to go.

As for getting to level 100, either trade your team to a different cartridge for the EXP bonus, use a lucky egg, use the pickup ability for rare candies, or find rare candies on the Sightseeing Pokewalker route (assuming you have the route).

cove_kid on
    PAX East 2010 Omeganaut
    Team 16: Guitarist for The Clap Trap
  • Options
    SupahSupah Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well it isn't for pax, I'm trying to level them to 100 cause I'm facing a friend over local wi-fi.

Supah on