As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Shock Doctrine

• Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Koshian wrote: »
    it won't be neighboring countries as much as it will be the IMF and WTO aggressively making sure that its oil supplies stay private under the inevitable new government.

if that happens, and it doesn't always,

it's still better than the previous regime

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    oh no what did I do

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
  • Options
    JigrahJigrah Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Artreus wrote: »
    So I guess I will take this opportunity to mention that a few weeks ago I started typing something into a search bar and in a list of suggestions that popped up under the bar, the first one was "jigrah is a rapist"

I've just now done the same.

I am shocked out how I am mentioned outside of threads I post in.

Jigrah on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Oh, hey. That dude ejected way too fuckin late.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    thelonius do you know why they're called zero-zero ejection seats

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    the guy ejected (if that is in fact an ejection seat) less than 100 yards from the ground

he is ultra fucked

you cannot simply jump out of a plane going near mach one straight into the ground at that altitude and hope to survive

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    seems like the blast from the explosion would be enough to torpedo his parachute even if all other factors were favorable

-scientist

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    MrMonroe wrote: »
    the guy ejected (if that is in fact an ejection seat) less than 100 yards from the ground

he is ultra fucked

you cannot simply jump out of a plane going near mach one straight into the ground at that altitude and hope to survive

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ejection_seat#Zero-zero_ejection_seat

While he of course was not stationary, it's presumptive to assume that because of his low altitude he couldn't have survived when that's precisely what zero-zero ejection seats are designed for. I'm not saying he necessarily survived, just that neither of us has enough details to know his fate.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    well I mean he is probably dead anyway if he ejected into enemy territory

oof

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    my condolences go out to his family i hope not but probably??

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    the understudy

I will make

the same jokes

until I learn

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    SicariiSicarii The Roose is Loose Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I admire Jigrah for the fact that he hasn't just upped and created a new user account yet. That kinda perseverance is something.

On the other hand most of his post strike me as the drunken ramblings of an ape that only moments ago achieved sentience before wandering over to a computer to begin posting.

Sicarii on
    gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Apes are already sentient!

They're just not sapient

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    well I mean he is probably dead anyway if he ejected into enemy territory

well it is supposedly a rebel plane and it crashed in benghazi, so I don't think so?

L|ama on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    many many creatures are sentient

Tam on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Not the dumb apes

true-ape-hai-lol.jpg

Sicarii on
    gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    More distressing is that the first thing it decided to do upon becoming cognizant:

Drink.

Sicarii on
    gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    that ape's face is much too human

exterminate

balerbower on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    boozeape.jpg

Sleep now sweet prince.

Its been a rough first day.

Sicarii on
    gotsig.jpg
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    balerbower wrote: »
    that ape's face is much too human

exterminate

I know humans uglier than that granilla

Hobnail on
  • Options
    Bro Chi MinhBro Chi Minh Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So while shit is going down in Libya people in Egypt are voting on a package of constitutional amendments:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/20/world/middleeast/20egypt.html?hp
    “This is my first time voting,” said Rafat Showky, 52, standing outside a polling station in Shoubra. But Mr. Showky quickly corrected himself because he had voted many times before — just not freely. “I used to work in a military factory,” he recalled. “They would put us on a bus and take us to vote all together.”

Bro Chi Minh on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    “It is a battle between the liberal democratic forces and two other forces — reactionaries from the old regime and the Islamists in general,” said Dr. Mohamed Ghoneim, a force in liberal politics and the founder of a famous kidney hospital in Mansoura, 75 miles northeast of Cairo.

They've got Republicans, too. :(

Xehalus on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
  • Options
    Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ahhh cruise missiles. The "The world wants us to do something but we really don't give a fuck weapon." At least France is leading the charge this time.
    I have this image of a general reading a nudie magazine, who looks up at a radar screen and then tries to hit some buttons with a broomstick.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    At Qaddafi Compound, a Human Shield
    Even as the allied intervention began, a group of foreign journalists were bused on a rare visit inside Col. Muammar el-Qaddafi’s compound — a labyrinth of concrete barracks, fortified walls and barbed wire designed to deter potential military coups.

There, hundreds of supporters offered themselves up as human shields, cheering to newly minted dance songs about their adoration for their leader. “House by house, alley by alley,” the catchiest song went, quoting a Qaddafi speech. “Disinfect the germs from each house and each room.”

The crowd included many women and children, and some said they had family in Colonel Qaddafi’s forces. They said they had come to protect Colonel Qaddafi’s compound from bombing by volunteering to be shields. “If they want to hit Muammar Qaddafi, they must hit us because we are all Muammar Qaddafi,” said Ghazad Muftah, a 52-year-old widow of a soldier from the Warfalla tribe, who said she was there with her six grown children. At least one person attending the rally spoke out against Colonel Qaddafi in a recent interview — a double-agent phenomenon that appears common among Libyan demonstrators for and against the government.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    meanwhile, in other news

Hugo Chavez is not a fan of breast implants
    CARACAS, Venezuela — President Hugo Chávez is known to have expressed little patience for imported leisure pursuits like golf or Scotch whisky tippling. Now he has reserved some ire for another practice that is beloved in Venezuela: breast augmentation surgery.

Blame for the boom in such surgeries here, Mr. Chávez said on state television over the weekend, rested with doctors who “convince some women that if they don’t have some big bosoms, they should feel bad.” He said it was a “monstrous thing” that poor women were seeking breast lifts when they had trouble making ends meet.

“What is this, friend?” Mr. Chávez exclaimed to his viewers.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    woman.jpg
    Women have often stayed off the streets of east Libya during the uprising against Gaddafi for reasons of safety and religion, but this lady is most definitely not hiding indoors. According to Reuters, she is a rebel fighter celebrating the withdrawal of Gaddafi troops from Benghazi on Saturday.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    libyanrebelswavetheir00.jpg
    Libyan rebels wave their flag on top of a wrecked tank belonging to Gaddafi's forces in Benghazi.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    PolydeucesPolydeuces Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Holy awesome

Polydeuces on
    WoW - Desrosier - Cho'gall | LoL - Desrosier | Steam - winterbound
    partymini.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Druhim wrote: »

he is ultra fucked

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ejection_seat#Zero-zero_ejection_seat

While he of course was not stationary, it's presumptive to assume that because of his low altitude he couldn't have survived when that's precisely what zero-zero ejection seats are designed for. I'm not saying he necessarily survived, just that neither of us has enough details to know his fate.

I thought the point of a zero-zero seat was that it works from very very low altitudes but only during low speed flight

being in a nose dive seems like obviates that very important condition to functionality

but you're right, of course, I don't know

I don't even know if that is his ejection seat in the picture

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Bro Chi MinhBro Chi Minh Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Apparently Norway is sending six F-16s down to help out (you've got to get those flight hours somehow, right?), I think that's more than 10% our fighter force.

So far we have the US, France, Britain and us, who else is chipping in?

Bro Chi Minh on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    it's very odd that I live in a country that allows me to think, "aww, sixty widdle jet fighters? Awwwwdowable"

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    As the world focuses on Libya, Israel files complaints to the UN for having 50 mortar shells fired in by Hamas

http://www.jta.org/news/article/2011/03/20/3086479/israel-files-un-complaint-over-mortar-barrage

In that article, they also have filed a complaint about how (if I'm reading it right) they had a shipment of concealed weapons seized from them (by the UN)
    Israel also filed a formal complaint with the U.N. Security Council on March 18 over its seizure of the cargo ship Victoria, which was transporting concealed arms from Iran via Syria to Gaza via Egypt.

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    wait

iran was selling arms to israel

what

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Iran was trying to send weapons to Gaza

It was Israel's bust, not Israel's guns

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Iran was trying to send weapons to Gaza

It was Israel's bust, not Israel's guns

ohhh derp

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I think the derp was on the author's side; that was awful sentence construction

MrMonroe on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I think the derp was on the author's side; that was awful sentence construction

yeah I went back and read it again and it's still really hazy

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Apparently Norway is sending six F-16s down to help out (you've got to get those flight hours somehow, right?), I think that's more than 10% our fighter force.

So far we have the US, France, Britain and us, who else is chipping in?

Wikipedia actually has a list of countries involved and what their involvement may be.

Operation names

Canada: Operation MOBILE
    France: Opération Harmattan[48]
    United Kingdom: Operation Ellamy
    United States: Operation Odyssey Dawn

Forces committed

Belgium: Defence Minister, Pieter De Crem, stated that six F-16 fighter jets of the Belgian Air Component are participating. Furthermore the minehunter BNS Narcis is in the area to assist if necessary. According to Foreign Minister Steven Vanackere there is a large majority in parliament that would approve the operations. 6 Belgian F-16s are at Araxos, Greece.

Canada: Canadian Forces Air Command has deployed seven CF-18 fighter jets and 140 military personnel to the region under the name Operation Mobile. The Halifax-class frigate HMCS Charlottetown is participating in operations at sea.

Denmark: On March 18th, Defence Minister Gitte Lillelund Bech announced that the Royal Danish Air Force participates with six F-16 fighters, a military transport aircraft and the corresponding ground crews. Only four will be used for offensive operation, while the remaining two will act as reserves. On March 19 the Danish parliament voted unanimously in the affirmative of sending fighter jets to enforce the no-fly zone.

France: French Air Force Mirage and Rafale aircraft are participating in the mission. Also C-160G SIGINT aircraft are stationed at Souda Bay, Greece. In addition, the French Navy anti-air destroyer Forbin and the frigate Jean Bart are participating in the operations. The aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle will be sent for air operations with its carrier strike group (one nuclear submarine and 4 or 5 supporting vessels) to the Libyan coast.

Greece: The military of Greece will contribute of 4 F-16s, two frigates and an Embraer R-99 Airborne Early Warning & Control aircraft.[59]

Italy: Italian Defence Minister Ignazio La Russa announced that four Tornado ECR and four fighter planes of the Italian Air Force are ready for the operations. According to the Pentagon 11 vessels of the Italian Navy are participating in the first wave of attacks.

Norway: Prime Minister Jens Stoltenberg announced that the Royal Norwegian Air Force participates with six F-16 fighters and one P-3 Orion maritime surveillance plane. He also stated that Norway will partake in the humanitarian aid to follow.

Qatar: The Qatar Armed Forces will participate with four to six Mirage 2000-5EDA Fighters. These may be stationed in Crete.

Spain: Spanish Prime Minister José Luis Rodríguez Zapatero announced that the Spanish Armed Forces is participating with four F-18 fighters, one tanker aircraft, the F100 frigate Méndez Núñez, the submarine Tramontana and one CN-235 MPA maritime surveillance plane.

United Arab Emirates: intends to participate with a mix of 24 Mirage 2000-9 and F-16 fighters.

United Kingdom: On 18 March, British Prime Minister David Cameron confirmed that Royal Air Force Typhoon and Tornado fighter aircraft would participate, along with air-to-air refueling and surveillance aircraft. As of 20 March, the Royal Navy has one Trafalgar-class submarine (HMS Triumph) confirmed as being involved in operations (launching cruise missiles), and two frigates (HMS Cumberland and HMS Westminster) engaged (in a naval blockade); the RAF have numerous jet fighters (Tornadoes and Typhoons) participating in operations, operating from Great Britain and the British territory and airfield on Cyprus. The Defence Secretary Dr Liam Fox confirmed on the BBC Politics Show that the RAF Typhoons and Tornadoes will be deployed to the Italian base at Gioia del Colle, while surveillance will be undertaken from RAF Akrotiri.

United States: The United States has deployed a naval force of 11 ships, including the amphibious assault ship USS Kearsarge, the amphibious transport dock USS Ponce, the guided-missile destroyers USS Barry and USS Stout, the nuclear attack submarines USS Providence and USS Scranton, the cruise missile submarine USS Florida and the amphibious command ship USS Mount Whitney.[66][67][68]. Additionally, B-2 stealth bombers, Harrier Jump Jets and F-15 and F-16 fighters have been involved in action over Libya. U-2 reconnaissance aircraft are stationed on Cyprus. F-15s and F-16s are being moved from Lakenheath and Spangdahlem to Aviano. On 18 March 2 AC-130Us arrived at Mildenhall as well as additional tanker aircraft.

Bases committed

France: Saint-Dizier, Dijon, Nancy, Istres, Solenzara, Avord
    Greece: Souda, Aktion, Araxos
    Italy: Amendola, Aviano, Decimomannu, Gioia del Colle, Trapani, Pantelleria, Sigonella, Capodichino
    Spain: Rota, Morón, Torrejón
    United Kingdom: RAF Akrotiri, RAF Marham, RAF Lossiemouth, RAF Coningsby, RAF Fairford, RAF Lakenheath, RAF Mildenhall

Additional countries

Jordan: U.S. congressional officials have said Jordan may be involved in enforcing the U.N. mission.

Netherlands: Minister of Foreign Affairs Uri Rosenthal said that the Netherlands is prepared to provide as-yet unspecified support to forces enforcing the no-fly zone over Libya.

Sweden: Foreign Minister Carl Bildt announced that Sweden would consider military action in support of a no-fly zone if it is requested by NATO.[74]

Saudi Arabia: has been mentioned as possibly participating in air strikes.

Turkey: the foreign ministry released a statement, which said that Turkey will make a "national contribution to implementing a UN no-fly zone over Libya"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libyan_no-fly_zone#Enforcement

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    In Syria, Crackdown After Protests
    By THE NEW YORK TIMES
    Published: March 18, 2011

DAMASCUS, Syria — Protests broke out in four Syrian cities on Friday, the first large-scale demonstrations here since the pro-democracy uprisings began in the Arab world three months ago. Brutal police crackdowns followed, leaving six people dead and scores injured.

In the largest protests, several thousand people gathered in the center of Dara’a, in southern Syria, chanting “God, Syria and freedom only,” witnesses said. They demanded the resignation of the mayor and the leader of the local branch of the security police. The police later opened fire on the crowd, killing six, the witnesses said.

There were also protests in Banias, on the Mediterranean coast; in the central city of Homs; and here, in the capital. A Facebook page, “the Syrian revolution 2011,” has called on people to protest against corruption and repression.

Centipede Damascus on
This discussion has been closed.