As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's the Blitzkrieg Bop. - Fear Itself

• ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sorry, I don't really keep up with comics anymore, but this caught my eye. Is this the first time they've used Gravity since his miniseries? I loved that. Who else is on the cover with him? I think that one guy is Reptil...the one that's inexplicably in Super-Hero Squad, right? Thor Girl, and...Firestar isn't that young anymore, right?

The Worthy look completely ridiculous. I guess they wanted to incorporate the Tron covers into the comics?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I really don't get why everyone is screaming TROOOOON

they didn't copyright neon piping

Gravity has been used in The Initiative as well as the short-lived Young Allies

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Holy shit, Chris Hastings is writing Deadpool?

Awesome

Green on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm going to buy those Deadpool issues right off the shelf

and I never buy singles

Centipede Damascus on
    edited March 2011
    I am too, and I don't follow Deadpool at all.

I'm really happy to see Hastings get work.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    also SUP BLANK

Green on
    edited March 2011
    WASSAP GREEN

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Sorry, I don't really keep up with comics anymore, but this caught my eye. Is this the first time they've used Gravity since his miniseries?

Gravity had a big role in the Beyond mini-series, and that got followed up on in a big arc of Fantastic Four. He was on the new Young Allies team and some Initiative books and I think an issue of Spider-Man. He's appearing in Onslaught Unleashed right now, but I haven't read that yet.

Hensler on
    edited March 2011
    Huh. Are those in that Marvel online archive? I still have the free month from MvC3.

I was planning to read She-Hulk and Exiles mostly.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Does anyone know if Marvel has made a Fear Itself checklist yet?

cardboard delusions on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Does anyone know if Marvel has made a Fear Itself checklist yet?

Not yet. Probably in the first issue.

Hensler on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    this showed up in the weekly Marvel column at CBR:
    Kiel Phegley: Tom, with C2E2 about to be in full swing as this column goes live, and I assume a ton of Marvel news hitting the web over the weekend, what better time is there to go to the well for some simmering fan questions? Let's start this week out with queries related to the "Fear Itself" event, beginning with board member West who asked, "Will Fear Itself reference previously established fears of the Marvel superheros? Like the Hulk's fear of becoming the Maestro, for example."

Brevoort: I think we’ve perhaps given you something of the wrong impression about "Fear Itself," West. I actually spoke to this very point on our recent liveblogged call with the comics press about the event. "Fear Itself" doesn’t contain a lot of fantasy sequences of heroes confronting their own darkest nightmares or internal anguish or anything like that. It’s about the state of the world now, today, and about putting our characters within a vice of a situation, then increasing the pressure on them to see whether they’ll break, bend or endure. So if there’s a specific reason why referencing the Maestro in the case of the Hulk is applicable then I wouldn’t rule it out. But this isn’t going to be somebody like Nightmare going to all of our heroes and creating images or fantasies within their minds of all the stuff they’re afraid of. Rather, this is going to be the Marvel heroes having to cope with a world suddenly at war on a global scale. I’m glad you asked this, actually, as we’ve clearly not done a good enough job of getting this point across, so I’m happy for the opportunity to articulate it.

So that kind of makes me wonder how this is any different than Secret Invasion, only this event will have less buildup.

TexiKen on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Secret Invasion also showed how hard it is to portray a "world at war" when most of your cast is stationed in New York.

Robos A Go Go on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Secret Invasion also showed how hard it is to portray a "world at war" when most of your cast is stationed in New York.

It looks like the only hero staying in New York for this is Spider-Man

Furu on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Then I look forward to seeing them based in global locations including my home country.

Oh wait.

Wildcat on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wildcat wrote: »
    Then I look forward to seeing them based in global locations including my home country.

Oh wait.

They'll wave as they fly by to France.

But this revelation by Brevoort makes no sense when all those promo images show heroes showcasing a fear about themselves. If this wasn't the intent why didn't they stop those to begin with (the only one that can work for the way the event is described now is the Spider-Man one)?

TexiKen on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, that's really shitty. At every level so far, they've kind of bombed in building this event up. Marvel events were one of the main reasons I always wanted to start reading single issues again, especially after Civil War, and I got to read (and actually really enjoyed the first three issues of ) Siege and was pretty happy, but I'm still not even sure if I'll be reading all of Fear Itself.

Did anyone pick up Book of the Skull? I ordered it, but my books take around two weeks to get to me these days.

HadjiQuest on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I got it. I liked it if not only for showcasing Baron Zemo as a badass.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Honestly Fear Itself seems to be all over the place. At first I didn't care at all, then I sort of cared, now I'm back towards the general apathy end. A story about Thor and Captain America fighting a God of Fear sounds like something which should be in the main Avengers book to me, it's not really event materiel.

Solar on
  • Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think it was originally a story in Brubaker's Avengers and Thor but got pushed into an event.

Macro9 on
    58pwo4vxupcr.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Macro9 wrote: »
    I think it was originally a story in Brubaker's Avengers and Thor but got pushed into an event.

That makes sense.

Secret Avengers is in my backlog, I really need to finish it up.

What I'm wondering is why Brubaker isn't all that involved here so far. Stepping off Secret, like that. Is he writing anything else during the span of this event besides Cap and that prologue one-shot?

HadjiQuest on
    edited March 2011
    Two new books. Fear Itself: The Deep and Ghost Rider.

php9BJoR1FIDEEP001_COV.jpg
    phpFD0r7TGHOSTRPO001_COV.jpg

Furu on
    edited March 2011
    Both creative teams are pretty fantastic

and The Deep has both fantastic art and a good cast

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited March 2011
    Rob Williams wrote the Ghost Rider: Shadowland mini, which was pretty damn good.

I am going to pick both of these up!

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited March 2011
    The Deep has Loa so I'm in.

Furu on
    edited March 2011
    I'm interested in Namor interacting with Strange now. They had a sort of friendship, but it was backed up by the fact that Strange could shut him down if he got all mad.

Now he can't.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    When Marvel comes out with a huge event that doesn't promise to change everything forever, then I'll give a crap.

Caveman Paws on
    edited March 2011
    Then don't read it! I'll be here happily reading some cool minis by great creative teams and hopefully a fun event!

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited March 2011
    Strange doesn't know any 'underwater breathing' spells?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    have they said anywhere that Fear Itself is going to change anything forever?

Centipede Damascus on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    C2E2 Fear Itself Panel (CBR)
    Fraction said that "Fear Itself" "resonates like 'Civil War'" but "it feels bigger to me." "It is a worldwide catastrophe, whereas 'Civil War' seemed to take place in a 4x4 block of Manhattan until the end."

The Avengers will be the team most affected by the event, while "Cap and Thor" will be the characters most changed, Fraction said. As to which Captain America he means, Fraction said, "Yes."

If I hadn't become so aware of its trite-ness, I'd give a dismissive wanking motion for the "worldwide catastrophe" part since, really, the reason CW only existed in and affected midtown Manhattan is because that's still where 90% of the Marvel U exists, and I don't expect that to change. Ever.

Crimsondude on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    But this revelation by Brevoort makes no sense when all those promo images show heroes showcasing a fear about themselves. If this wasn't the intent why didn't they stop those to begin with (the only one that can work for the way the event is described now is the Spider-Man one)?

See, I went back and looked at all the "Do you fear..." teasers again and most of them aren't so much their base fears, like maestro for hulk.

Thor's and Cyclops' are basically referencing the last year of story in both books and the Cap, Iron Man and Hulk teasers could be stretched to fit the last couple of arcs in their books. Hulks got a whole family now and the stresses that come with, Iron Man's legacy with his repulsor car and the whole Detroit Steel business and Cap loosing faith after having to deal with all the Nick Fury crap now.

I think its just meant to focus this event more on the characters than the hammers.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What's this about Fury?

Crimsondude on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just how Steve's taken over the whole Top Cop of the World deal.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So is Home Front the Frontline in disguise book for this event? Because Frontline sucks balls. I wish Brubaker was writing this thing because that one shot was great. I like Fraction's Ironman but I have a feeling Fear Itself may be like a Bendis event, excluding Siege, where all the middle issues are just filler of nothing happening.

Algertman on
    edited March 2011
    Considering Fraction has said his goal is to have every issue be an important event and his constant plugging of issue 3, I doubt it.

Home Front is kinda different, its an anthology about a bunch of different characters. The main story is about Speedball, and one of the back-ups is Agents of Atlas

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Meanwhile, what's Ghost Rider fearing there? That he'll end up dying at the bottom of a pit in the blazing sun, torn and twisted at the foot of a burning bike?

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
    edited March 2011
    Ghost Rider is not a Fear Itself tie-in.

Furu on
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Furu wrote: »
    Ghost Rider is not a Fear Itself tie-in.

Then why did you post about a new Ghost Rider title in the Fear Itself thread? I blame you.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
    edited March 2011
    Because at the time I thought it was a tie-in mini, not an ongoing!

Furu on