As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LOTRO] I'll see you on the other side. The Barrovian Society 2007-2014

• Triple BTriple B Bastard of the North MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    T-minus seven days and counting.

Triple B on
    Steam/XBL/PSN: FiveAgainst1
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I may save my free points this month for buying the travel skill reduction trait in the store.

My milestone cool down on a 30 minute timer? Yes Please.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    edited March 2011
    Not a bad idea, Phen. I'm starting to realize however that travel isn't all that terrible, even when not playing my huntard. I've gotten my RK to 51 and with all the swift-travel stable routes everywhere, it hasn't taken all that much longer than porting around with hunter skills.

'course...that only helps if you're a subscriber. :P

Triple B on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Triple B wrote: »
    Not a bad idea, Phen. I'm starting to realize however that travel isn't all that terrible, even when not playing my huntard. I've gotten my RK to 51 and with all the swift-travel stable routes everywhere, it hasn't taken all that much longer than porting around with hunter skills.

Also: once you get sent all over the place when you get out of Moria it gets frustrating. Pro tip; grind rep with Rivendell.

Aldo on
    edited March 2011

There are a few places where it's still a pain to get to without the rep grind. I also tend to use the port when out questing to get back because I am lazy. Right now I tend hit that and then either port to Bree or Rivendell (I bought the Rivendell Racial port from the store as an extra option way back at the beginning of F2P)

I feel no need to do this on my warden as he already has a lot of port options but on Pheny I might even pick up an extra milestone just for the added movement options.

I do like travel skills.

Seidkona on
    edited March 2011
    Entaru wrote: »
    There are a few places where it's still a pain to get to without the rep grind.

Yeah, but at least they don't make you get to kindred. Friend at the very most. More often than not, just acquaintance. I find it's pretty easy to get to that level of rep just by clearing the zone of quests.

Triple B on
    edited March 2011
    Evendim dev journal http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/devdiaries/1083

Seems like they reduced the everswim, put in better quest rewards, made Annuminas interesting again and made it easier to level in that zone without having to jump off fjords in Trollshawls*.

*TS is becoming the most obscure zone in game, I don't think many folks will bother going north of the main road for anything other than the epic quest.

Aldo on
    edited March 2011
    Aldo wrote: »
    Evendim dev journal http://www.lotro.com/gameinfo/devdiaries/1083

Seems like they reduced the everswim, put in better quest rewards, made Annuminas interesting again and made it easier to level in that zone without having to jump off fjords in Trollshawls*.

*TS is becoming the most obscure zone in game, I don't think many folks will bother going north of the main road for anything other than the epic quest.

they really need to revisit TS and do an overhaul there. It's a very pretty zone and I like the looks of it but I never spend time leveling there because of how crappy the quest progression is outside of the Epic. It's littered with fellowship quests all over.

Seidkona on
    edited March 2011
    Entaru wrote: »
    they really need to revisit TS and do an overhaul there. It's a very pretty zone and I like the looks of it but I never spend time leveling there because of how crappy the quest progression is outside of the Epic. It's littered with fellowship quests all over.
    TS and North Downs are the only zones of the time before content updates that will need an overhaul now. Both lack a clear narrative and easy to use quest hubs. I mean, look at all the shit going on in those zones: TS has practically ever mob type ever marching around there (even some Angmarim and deer...) and ND is just weird with half the map being full of impoverished farmers being chased down by orcs and then there's Esteldin which is pretty much the crafting capital of Middle Earth and a major hub. Oh and then there's Fornost there too. To make matters more complicated.

Fornost is a pretty interesting instance, by the way. I went out of my way to kill all bosses at least once in there, but it's absolutely not easy.

After those two zones I think they should take a look at Misty Mountains. That one's got a relatively clear story: evil dwarves and men are resurrecting a dragon to torch down Rivendel with back up from Goblin Town. But then there's also the wolf guys and Giant Valley down south.

Aldo on
    edited March 2011
    After those two zones I think they should take a look at Misty Mountains. That one's got a relatively clear story: evil dwarves and men are resurrecting a dragon to torch down Rivendel with back up from Goblin Town. But then there's also the wolf guys and Giant Valley down south.

Oh hey a dev diary. :)

I'm going to read it after responding to this, and then possibly update my poast with my thoughts on the new Evendim scene.

Re: MM's. First, I hate how the zone is basically cut into quarters by impassable mountainous terrain that you can only get through by one specific hard-to-remember path. HATE.

That said, the eastern half is really all that needs an overhaul. From Gloin's camp to the high pass, I think it's fine. But once you get to Hrimbarg, all goes to shit. Goblintown is just one giant ball of inconvenience. Let me say though, that I *really* like the southeastern quarter of the Misties. I forget what exactly it's called, but it's the area with all the worms and gauredain. If that area had a more convenient quest structure, I think it'd be a big draw.

Edit for Evendim:

"We’ve added over 100 new quests, pushing the region total over 200!"

Jaysus! That's a lot of questesis.

"every class in the game has a full set of gear available to them in Evendim"

Huh. Cool? I'll have to check it out with my lower level alts.

"Barter stuff and new rep system"

Nice. They should all be like that, tokens instead of rep level.

Looks like they hit it on the head with this one.

Triple B on
    edited March 2011
    This just in: word going around the rumor mill is that the Wardens of Annuminas are also getting another rep mount with the patch, as well.

Triple B on
    edited March 2011
    I'm pretty happy my Minnie is right in the level range to start Evendim and he just got there. I put off leveling him because I wanted to wait for the revamp of the area before doing so.

Now I need to choose between alts. I don't have enough time to level more than one right now.

Edit: to pipe in on the MM, I agree. With Phen I went there and was really enjoying it to a point but then it started to get tedious and a pita and I just moved on to Forochel. The only zones in leveling that I avoid are TS, Part of MM and Angmar. I like the north downs but I am a bit odd in that respect. I don't know that with the redone LL and the redone evendim that I wouldn't just pass the Northdowns on an alt though.

Seidkona on
  • bigo2magsbigo2mags Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This just in: word going around the rumor mill is that the Wardens of Annuminas are also getting another rep mount with the patch, as well.

Time to start grinding again...

Did the same thing with Elf rep on my Minstrel before they introduced the meta-deed mounts. I love the increased mount speed. I'll probably have to grind out more on my Warden, though...

Reading through this forum, everyone looks like they're on Landroval. No Silverlode love? :(

bigo2mags on
    userbar694334an1.gif
    userbar741514.gif
  • wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So where should a fledgeling warden head after bree? I've pretty much exhausted the quests in the area.

wmelon on
    edited March 2011
    wmelon wrote: »
    So where should a fledgeling warden head after bree? I've pretty much exhausted the quests in the area.
    Where the Epic Quests take you of course.

Aldo on
    edited March 2011
    bigo2mags wrote: »
    Reading through this forum, everyone looks like they're on Landroval. No Silverlode love? :(

Nah bro, Landy is where the cool kids hang out, has been since beta. :P

wmelon wrote: »
    Where the Epic Quests take you of course.

This. Pretty much always this unless there's a specific zone you're looking to avoid *coughangmarcough*. I found it quite possible to bypass certain areas *coughANGMARcough* all together as long as you're careful to snag all the side quests in places like LL and ND. This practice, supplemented with a few skirms per level should get you past any area you're looking to dodge. Like Angmar.

Triple B on
    edited March 2011
    Aughaire is pretty much the bees knees, though. Fuck Eastern Angmar, though.

Aldo on
  • GlorntGlornt I'm the Bob Ross of Wombats. And I just had a "happy accident"... in my pants!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I like the MM's; the way I see it, it's only really divided in half, and the two travel nodes (Gloin's Camp and Hrimbarg) connect east and west with fast travel. Now, I've barey stuck my head into Goblin Town so far, and getting into (and out of) the Giant Halls can be a pain, but I think it's supposed to be. The problem is that once you complete Book 5 in the western MM, the epic line pulls you over to Angmar, so there's a lot of back and forth, depending on whether you want to work on the epic or just level. The blizzards in the eastern MM are a very interesting feature, too; I haven't seen any other weather effects -- in LOTRO or in other games -- that have such a noticeable effect on visibility. It would be interesting if there were any weather effects that would actually have more than a visual impact on the game, but as far as visual effects, those snowstorms are impressive. My main gripe so far with MM is that I can't find the pathway to get to one of the quest goals up in the NE corner; I think I have to get onto a bridge to get up there, but my couple of expeditions to find the path so far have been unsuccessful.

The Lonelands revamp happened as my guys were a bit over halfway done there, and it was a noticeable improvement. I also liked Evendim; I hope some of the new stuff will not be trivial for low-mid 40s. I don't have a big problem with Trollshaws, either, although I agree that the non-epic stuff north of the road is due for a revamp (there's another path issue regarding the quest line in which you sound that horn; can't figure out how to get to where I need to go next on that one, or at least how to get there without wading through piles of sigs/elites, which is probably why it's marked as a fellowship quest).

For some reason, I'm starting to think that Angmar is not among Hjartad's most favorite zones. I wonder what makes me think that...

Glornt on
    LOTRO (Landroval): Clontarf (62 Batman), Theorwald (60 LM), Glornt (56 guardian), Onzlo (58 minstrel), Porthian (54 warden), Vilric (54 burglar), Feyerborn (54 hunter), Rudkin (54 champ), Limnon (53 RK)
    Glorntisms
    edited March 2011
    Glornt wrote: »

For some reason, I'm starting to think that Angmar is not among Hjartad's most favorite zones. I wonder what makes me think that...

There was an incident. He doesn't like to talk about it.

Seidkona on
    edited March 2011
    There have been many incidents. Although...I must be grateful for the moment of utter hilarity that Uru provided a few nights back. Though I'm sure Zg doesn't want me talking about it anymore.

Triple B on
  • GlorntGlornt I'm the Bob Ross of Wombats. And I just had a "happy accident"... in my pants!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There was an incident. He doesn't like to talk about it.
    Let's talk about that;

then, when we're done...
    There have been many incidents. Although...I must be grateful for the moment of utter hilarity that Uru provided a few nights back. Though I'm sure Zg doesn't want me talking about it anymore.
    ... we can talk about that, too!

:P

Glornt on
    LOTRO (Landroval): Clontarf (62 Batman), Theorwald (60 LM), Glornt (56 guardian), Onzlo (58 minstrel), Porthian (54 warden), Vilric (54 burglar), Feyerborn (54 hunter), Rudkin (54 champ), Limnon (53 RK)
    Glorntisms
    edited March 2011
    You'll get nothing from me about my hatred for Angmar! Nothing, I say!

Triple B on
  • bigo2magsbigo2mags Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

You tried to join the Cargul party underneath Barad Gularan didn't you?

...Yeah... Me too.

bigo2mags on
    userbar694334an1.gif
    userbar741514.gif
    edited March 2011
    bigo2mags wrote: »

You tried to join the Cargul party underneath Barad Gularan didn't you?

...Yeah... Me too.

Fuck Barad Gularan! Fuck it, fuck it, fuck it! Fuck all things!

Also, V3B3 dev diary is up.

Interesting stuff pertaining to those five weird relics that popped up a couple months back:

"The instances of this new cluster are not geographically close to each other; how can we make them a unified cluster without it feeling arbitrary? What is it that can tie these instances together?

The answer: a brand-new quest arc that runs through all five instances, tying them together into a single story-line much like the Books of the Epic Story. From this solution was born "In Their Absence," a fifteen-chapter quest arc that will begin with Barliman Butterbur in the Prancing Pony and then proceed in linear fashion through all five of the new instances.

The initial design goal for "In Their Absence" was to make a quest arc for the instance cluster that feels like a complete Book of the Epic Story, but it’s important to note a few ways in which the design deviates from the way we make the Epic line:

1)"In Their Absence" is not intended to be soloable, and you will need to group in order to complete this long quest arc.

2)The required group size increases as you proceed into later chapters. "In Their Absence" begins as Small Fellowship content, but it eventually becomes Full Fellowship, and the last chapters require a 12-man Raid.

3)None of the instances that form the cluster require you to play "In Their Absence." Therefore you can do the instances in any order--without having to be on the correct stage of the quest line. Of course, as the Story Guy, I hope you will want to experience them in order by completing "In Their Absence" the first time, but I’ll understand if you can’t wait. Perhaps I can entice you with the promise of additional barter tokens for the cluster as rewards throughout the quest chain?"

Also, seems like the entirety of Book 3 is going to be soloable with Inspired Greatness. They're also giving you the option to do it all with a full fellowship. I'm not sure how I feel about this new direction it seems they're taking. Making everything soloable from the get-go, and all. Definitely got mixed feelings. That said, at least the "In Their Absence" arc (separate from the epic line) will be group-mandatory.

Wait just a second!

"I mentioned a single exception to the ‘forced solo’ instances in Epic Book 3, and that’s because there’s a new Session Play instance at the beginning of the Book. You’ll need to do this one solo, but I think you’ll forgive us this one exception in Book 3. We’re going to Gondor, and we’re going there in the Second Age of Middle-earth."

Apparently they're having Candaith tell us the origin story of the Oathbreakers and we get to (I think? Hopefully?) play as Isildur. Look what I've done. I've gone and made a mess of myself. Kinda like those dragons did on Zg's face.

Triple B on
    edited March 2011
    Apparently they're having Candaith tell us the origin story of the Oathbreakers and we get to (I think? Hopefully?) play as Isildur. Look what I've done. I've gone and made a mess of myself. Kinda like those dragons did on Zg's face.

I miss all the good stuff. Curse you work, school and Black Ops!

Seidkona on
  • CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've gone and made a mess of myself. Kinda like those dragons did on Zg's face.

UR just jealous 'cause I was showered in dragon love and your froo froo elf was too chicken to help me face some baby trolls.

Cobell on
    edited March 2011
    Cobell wrote: »
    I've gone and made a mess of myself. Kinda like those dragons did on Zg's face.

UR just jealous 'cause I was showered in dragon love and your froo froo elf was too chicken to help me face some baby trolls.

Allie is very fragile! She's like a delicate flower. Not yet sturdy enough to face the big, mean baddies that patrol the darker reaches of Middle-Earth. I'll not put her in harm's way!

Triple B on
  • TamorlaneTamorlane Gnnr The Halls of MontezumaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Any suggestions for a skirmish soldier for a runekeeper? I failed to pay attention to skirmishes at all until all my characters were past 30, and never changed the attributes after the skirm tutorial. Suffice to say the warrior was an.....unsatisfactory....companion.

Tamorlane on
    edited March 2011
    Tamorlane wrote: »
    Any suggestions for a skirmish soldier for a runekeeper? I failed to pay attention to skirmishes at all until all my characters were past 30, and never changed the attributes after the skirm tutorial. Suffice to say the warrior was an.....unsatisfactory....companion.

I'd say Herbalist or Protector. Depending on your style.

I personally love the Protector but with an Herbalist you could just go all out DPS and not worry as much about your own health.

Seidkona on
  • CobellCobell Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tamorlane wrote: »

In the end, there is no wrong choice. Really what you should be asking is what is your playstyle, then match a soldier to that.

I personally want all out dps. My RK is traited for Master of Writs, so I can pop that writ of health anytime I want. That's all the healing I've ever found I needed for skirmishes (maybe the occasional health pot). I run with a sage as they have good dps and can debuff a bit. My marks per hour are probably 100 more than my champ running with a herbalist.

Cobell on
    edited March 2011
    As a RK, all you need is a Protector with his role and all his skills trained up to your own character level. If you keep that constant throughout your efforts, you can go full DPS and you'll never even have to use a health pot. Just make sure you give him Threatening Shout. It's the only way he's ever going to manage to keep aggro off you, but damn does it work. My Protector is such a good tank, I named him Nut.

Triple B on
  • wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So can anyone tell what classes are most in demand? I'm suffering from analysis paralysis choosing.

wobblyheadedbob on
    edited March 2011
    So can anyone tell what classes are most in demand? I'm suffering from analysis paralysis choosing.
    Everything except hunters. Class division is something like 30% hunters, 70% everything else.

(Unless you can make a good hunter, then you're in very high demand as well. :P)

Aldo on
  • wobblyheadedbobwobblyheadedbob Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nooooooo... this doesn't help me chooooose.

wobblyheadedbob on
    edited March 2011
    Nooooooo... this doesn't help me chooooose.
    Minstrels, Burglars and Hunters just got their classes updated, so they're probably the most interesting now. Wardens are always awesome too. Always.

Aldo on
    edited March 2011

Are you asking in general, or in the PA kinship (The Barrovian Society)? I think in general, you can't go wrong as a tank (Guardian/Warden) or healer (Minstrel/RK), and the support/utility classes (LM/Burglar/Captain) are also helpful and usually less numerous; or, to put it more briefly, anything other than Hunter or Champion. This doesn't narrow things down too much, I know.

In terms of usefulness vs. scarcity, Lore Master might be the most underrepresented, probably because it's pretty damn tough to play up through level 30 or so. However, once you get (and learn to use) all of the cc abilities, it's a pretty badass class, able to do just about anything except tank -- cc, dps, buffs/debuffs, off-heals. Captain is similar in terms of being difficult early on but rewarding if you can stick with it, and is similarly flexible, being able to heal, off-tank, decent dps, buff/debuff (best buffs in the game), pretty much anything other than cc. Burglar is less versatile but has good cc (second to LM in my experience), good dps, and has the most reliable Fellowship Maneuver triggers.

In terms of TBS, I think we're pretty good on tanks; pretty much anything else other than hunter or champ would be helpful, but as Aldo said, if you can be a good hunter (or champ) -- especially if that's what you do best -- then go for it. It all depends on what role(s) you want to fill and what is comfortable for you. The problem with a specific recommendation is that it really depends on your play style.

If I didn't have severe alt-itis, what I'd do is pick a couple of dissimilar classes and play them both up to level 20 or so; if neither of them clicks by then, rinse, lather, repeat. If you're willing to try three, pick one each from the heavy armour classes (Captain, Champion, Guardian), medium (Burglar, Hunter, Warden) and light (LM, Minstrel -- which can be traited to wear medium at lvl 15 -- and RK). This should provide enough variety that at least one will suit you. My choices would be Captain, Warden, and LM, which happen to be my three favorite classes; of the three, you'll find Warden the easiest to begin and tough to kill, but probably the lowest dps, so you may find the going slow. Apart from these three, RK would let you effectively heal in groups while doing OMG dps solo or in groups that don't need for you to heal; you can easily change roles from fight to fight, the downside being that you're pretty much a glass cannon when solo (but so is hunter). Guardian is the more traditional tank class, but the block/parry reactive skills make it more interesting than a WoW warrior.

Glornt on
    Glorntisms
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rune Keepers are the bees' knees!

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • IvanIssacsIvanIssacs Skull Leader SDF-1Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    2ndagehalberd.jpg

This patch has pleased me so far. Where are the barter vendors for the new gear sets?

IvanIssacs on
  • Stick32Stick32 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Well, Guardian's are a popular choice. Easy to level with, not to hard to find a group with at high levels, and they're not boring. LM's are good past 30, if you make it that far... Ministrel's are always popular a bit slow going at first but not bad later on. Captains are an awsome buf/backup heals/off tank class though itlike the mini it can be a bit rough at low levels. Champions are awesome AoE dps classes or at least that's what I've heard; haven't played with them much. Haven't played the burgs much either but they make good CC and debuffers from what I have seen. Warden's make good tanks but they're gambit system while interesting can be a bit confusing till you get the hang of it. Additionally, I'm told they're fairly slow killing stuff so (it got a bit boring for me at around lvl 15 or so). Hunters are good single target dps, nice fast travel abilities but they're are tons of them.

RK's are... well, they're just awesome.... good healers, good dps'ers, not bad to lvl once you learn to kite.

Stick32 on
  • KassKass Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, posting from my laptop as the psu on my comp decided to die (at least, I'm 90% sure it was the psu). I had just downloaded and updated lotro too. Anywho, the new psu will be here in a few days, so hopefully I'll be enjoying the new content with you all then. Have fun without me, you bastards.

Kass on