As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] PvP: Fuck you. POKEMON.

• MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    With every button mapped to moonfire...

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I seem to recall the 5-man moonkin arena videos during one of the X.0 patches before a new expansion that always turns PvP into a gibfest. It might have been 3.0, but I think it was older than that. Didn't 2.0 add the non-rated, exhibition arena matches to the game? It feels like it was 2.0.

forty on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well yeah. Before 2.0 there was no Arena, and it was introduced as exhibition only in 2.0. Only level 70's could make teams, thus restraining it until BC actually came out.

But it was still a gibfest for some because 2.0 has wacky talent changes and stuff. I faced a few triple felguard teams in that span of time. It didn't end well.

Although they did turn Arcane into literally a one-hit wonder. Arcane Power + Trinket + Presence of Mind + Pyroblast = lolololol

that was a fun few weeks for me

Jasconius on
  • NeylaNeyla Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    you mean those arenas you can Q for that don't count or don't require a team? I remember doing those as "warm ups" in season 3 (BC). Which were really pointless since most times you got group with someone who singled q'd.

Hmm ok a 5 boomkin team spamming moonfire called "may cause seizures".

Neyla on
    13142111181576.png
    edited March 2011
    The random arenas were kinda fun.

One time it was exciting because I got randomly paired for twos with a warrior with full FM and Sulfuras three straight matches.

We won those matches.

Random arenas had some charm despite being completely pointless.

Because it required greater improvisation instead of building your team around imbalance gimmick #7824 and hoping you got a good draw on your opponent.

Jasconius on
  • CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jasconius wrote: »
    mage/mage and mage/rogue pretty much owned early BC 2's as I recall so... I wouldn't say it was that balanced.

Though they certainly took on a different tone because of some of the differences in skills... healing was not what it is in Lich King and Today. There were no deathknights and their shitty pre-nerf gargoyles. Some of the "secondary" specs were still exactly that.

I recall 2's in BC feeling a lot like an extension of dueling. Which is not intrinsically balanced.

nah in season 2 BC pretty much every class had a viable 2v2 arena spec/team composition, except for maybe hunters, though I do recall some kick ass hunter/priest drain teams that worked fairly well

Also I was second ranked in my battlegroup season 2 for 2v2, so I do know what I am talking about, I was very hardcore into 2v2 arena back then.

I know warrior/any healer worked well, warlock/any healer usually worked well too. Then of course you had rogue/mage which worked well, and a lot of the rogue/healer combos worked well also.

So while arena was terrible for most specs, there was always a spec that worked well and arena 2v2 was never too terribly imbalanced.

edit: And most importantly there were never almost never any fucking 45 minute games, except maybe on blades edge with lock/druid mirror matches

edit2: my combo was druid/lock

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • Steel-AngelSteel-Angel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    bc was completely dominated by rogues, warriors, warlocks, and druids

also i don't believe you for a minute if you say you had the #2 team on your BG but only 1500 now

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    CasedOut wrote: »

Resto druid and Sl/Sl warlock by any chance?

Yeah lets not complain about balance now, and at the same time time say how great it was back in TBC, when combo's such as the above existed.

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
    edited March 2011
    Warcraft Truth #1

It's only balanced if you're winning.

Jasconius on
  • BrymBrym Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've had the worst luck in BGs this weekend. I'm probably 0-16. And it hasn't just been the losing - they've been blowouts. Losses in AV when the Horde still has 500 reinforcements. 3-capped in Gilneas, 5-capped in Arathi, 4-capped in Eye. Haven't capped a horde flag in WSG or TP all weekend. It's just been nothing but teams full of Alliance in PvE gear against Horde in full Vicious.

It's enough to make me think it's time to go back to TF2.

Brym on
  • ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Same, won about 2/20 random bg's q's this weekend(proudmoore - ally) was depressing.

ICUb on

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
    edited March 2011
    Warcraft Truth #1

It's only balanced if you're winning.

s8 was decently balanced outside of certain maps (FUCK YOU RING OF VALOR)

but it was balanced around every class being able to two shot everyone else

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ICUb wrote: »
    Same, won about 2/20 random bg's q's this weekend(proudmoore - ally) was depressing.

I wish I could have played more on this WSG weekend. It was 2 minute queues and 3-0 games all the time, every time. WSG weekend is like christmas and easter combined for the horde.
    except when the queue broke and I had to requeue and/or relog to fix it

Grobian on
  • CasedOutCasedOut Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    bc was completely dominated by rogues, warriors, warlocks, and druids

also i don't believe you for a minute if you say you had the #2 team on your BG but only 1500 now

I am only 1500 because I just recently started arena and have yet to find a decent partner with a mic, that is to say I have only done arena for a few weeks and every week I have done it has been just for points.

CasedOut on
    452773-1.png
  • GnutsonGnutson Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thoughts on good composition for a RBG group.

1 tanky FC type, 3(4?) healers, then just work out some good buff/debuffs for dps types?

Gnutson on
    Erai - Operative <--Imperial Double Agent--> Sniper - Eari
    SW:Tor - Tao - Kryatt Dragon Server
    edited March 2011
    CasedOut wrote:
    Not really, I havent played since season 2 waay back in BC but 2v2 as well as 3v3 were fairly well balanced back then.
    CasedOut wrote: »
    Oh, well then.

forty on
    edited March 2011
    Dev QA for PVP is up...

most exciting thing I read
    Secondly, we need to tone down the role of interrupts and silences so that casters are actually casting their spells more often.

Sure, right when I decide I'm done with my mage.

Jasconius on
    edited March 2011
    About time they figure that out. Like their -1 second off of the 5+ second interrupts in 4.0.6 was enough.

Trying to play a healer in a battleground with competent opponents around is an extremely infuriating experience. Between interrupts, silences, stuns, and general CC all being on separate DR, you often can't do much more than throw out whatever instants you have. Trying to throw out a cast time heal and chancing a CS, kick, WS, etc. is a pretty risky use of your non-locked down time.

Also, will they use the opportunity from this realization to finally get rid of the damage increasing cast time mechanic?
    Sure, right when I decide I'm done with my mage.
    Don't worry. It'll probably be months before we see the effects.

forty on
    edited March 2011
    I think they'll probably re-categorize CC spells so that diminishing returns matter more now that everyone and their dog has at least one good caster neutralizer.

The second most important thing I read was how they were talking about Arena coming down to "layering control spells" that were on exclusive diminishing returns categories.

Maybe a Rogue *shouldn't* be able to hold a caster in one place for 10 seconds.

Jasconius on
    edited March 2011
    Since about the start of Cataclysm I've been bitching about how there's still too much separate DR for various lockdowns (silence, stun, fear, [insert one more here depending on specific class]), so I hope they drop the hammer on that shit.

forty on
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hunter trap stuff made me lol.

"We have the best programmers in the industry, but we can't make a single spell work properly."

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    We don’t even have a way to make them always hit, because then they would always hit, even against a stealthed rogue for instance (which we’re sure is a solution hunters would be perfectly happy with)

Maybe I'm missing something, but is there some reason why a stealthed rogue shouldn't be hit by a trap?

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited March 2011
    We don’t even have a way to make them always hit, because then they would always hit, even against a stealthed rogue for instance (which we’re sure is a solution hunters would be perfectly happy with)

Maybe I'm missing something, but is there some reason why a stealthed rogue shouldn't be hit by a trap?

I was just thinking that myself. But... I hit traps all the time as a rogue while stealthed and they do hit me. That's why I have a disarm trap spell that I can only use while stealthed. Otherwise, what's the point?

So maybe the guy who answered his has no fracking clue?

I mean, I swear I've been hit by plenty of traps in the WSG tunnel on accident while stealthed. Or maybe I'm just unlucky.

Jasconius on
  • Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I was just thinking that myself. But... I hit traps all the time as a rogue while stealthed and they do hit me. That's why I have a disarm trap spell that I can only use while stealthed. Otherwise, what's the point?

So maybe the guy who answered his has no fracking clue?

I mean, I swear I've been hit by plenty of traps in the WSG tunnel on accident while stealthed. Or maybe I'm just unlucky.

Because traps do elemental damage, there is a chance they can be resisted. This resistance would (i.e. should) be overcome by the Hunter's spell penetration, but the way the game is programmed, traps cannot inherit that value from the caster. This leaves the devs with 3 options:
    1. Leave the traps as is, where they sometimes get resisted when they shouldn't.
    2. Increase trap hit percentage by an arbitrary number, up to possibly 100%. This makes it so that hunter traps would always hit, always revealing stealthed rogues, with no recourse to the rogue and no requirement for spell pen from the hunter.
    3. Try to rewrite the code to fix the problem, which is the answer they gave.

Feel free to correct me if I've got this wrong.

Edit: Also, the reference to stealthed rogue was just an example. All classes are affected by traps in this same way.

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
    edited March 2011
    I guess my point of view is that native hit chance for traps is high enough that when I see a trap "oh i'll just run over it because I could resist it" does not even remotely enter into my thought process.

If it's 100% then hey, we will have disarm trap.

Jasconius on
    edited March 2011
    forty wrote: »
    Between interrupts, silences, stuns, and general CC all being on separate DR, you often can't do much more than throw out whatever instants you have.

If you're a resto shaman or druid you only need instants to stay alive.

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
    edited March 2011
    I just don't see the issue with rogues. You're stealthed, you're not magically phased into a different dimension. It just means I can't see you and target you by conventional means. If the area you're standing in suddenly becomes engulfed in flame, or you step on a land mine, you should still be affected by it. Hence why the dev's comment making not much sense.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited March 2011
    I just don't see the issue with rogues. You're stealthed, you're not magically phased into a different dimension. It just means I can't see you and target you by conventional means. If the area you're standing in suddenly becomes engulfed in flame, or you step on a land mine, you should still be affected by it. Hence why the dev's comment making not much sense.

Yeah, I think it was meant to be conversational but just missed the mark. The point is that they'd like for EVERYONE to care about resist chance and spell pen, rather than just pretend that those two values don't exist for traps.

Dropping Loads on
    edited March 2011
    Between interrupts, silences, stuns, and general CC all being on separate DR, you often can't do much more than throw out whatever instants you have.

Kind of irrelevent since the issue here is that cast time spells have been marginalized to hell and back, and being locked down all the time does not make for compelling gameplay.

forty on
  • formatformat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

It's kind of a chicken and egg situation, the only reason they have such great instants is because of CC/Interrupts.

If cc/interrupts were toned down the devs could shift the classes away from instants.

format on
    You don't know if I am joking or not.
    edited March 2011

Yeah, I think it was meant to be conversational but just missed the mark. The point is that they'd like for EVERYONE to care about resist chance and spell pen, rather than just pretend that those two values don't exist for traps.
    Do warriors care about spell pen in PvP?

forty on
    edited March 2011
    format wrote: »

It's kind of a chicken and egg situation, the only reason they have such great instants is because of CC/Interrupts.

If cc/interrupts were toned down the devs could shift the classes away from instants.

Well they said in the QA that instants would be reduced in potency.

Jasconius on
    edited March 2011

To the extent that their resistances are mitigated by it, yes. They don't care about their own spell pen value, but they are aware that other classes have it.

Like Jasconius alluded to above, these are such small percentages that no one actively thinks about it, but it's more elegant from a game perspective for these numbers to matter than to simply say "100%! Done!"

Dropping Loads on
    edited March 2011
    format wrote: »

I do not understand this garbage about "CC being too powerful" this season. CC was significantly more powerful last season when you could kill someone in a blanket silence, the cast time was almost half as long as it is now, there was dispel protection, and only two classes could dispel to begin with.

If anything Blizzard needs to rebuff CC to S8 levels, of the last 10 matches I've played in 3s, 8 of them were mindless melee cleave. It seriously feels like S6 all over again.

Steel-Angel on
    signaturep.jpg
    edited March 2011

To the extent that their resistances are mitigated by it, yes. They don't care about their own spell pen value, but they are aware that other classes have it.

Like Jasconius alluded to above, these are such small percentages that no one actively thinks about it, but it's more elegant from a game perspective for these numbers to matter than to simply say "100%! Done!"
    Making traps work reliably if there's nothing a hunter can reasonably do about it is not really the same thing as making everyone not have to care about hit/spell pen, though. As it is, lucky resists already have the potential to bring a strong element of "haha, you got fucked and lost through no control of your own."

Also, if warriors don't get spell pen in PvP, the answer to that question is "no."

forty on
    edited March 2011
    Let warriors be able to Spell Reflect frost traps.

I don't care how impossibly improbable that would be.

The Wolfman on
    edited March 2011
    More or less improbable than spell reflecting snake traps?

forty on
    edited March 2011

Making traps work reliably if there's nothing a hunter can reasonably do about it is not really the same thing as making everyone not have to care about hit/spell pen, though. As it is, lucky resists already have the potential to bring a strong element of "haha, you got fucked and lost through no control of your own."

Also, if warriors don't get spell pen in PvP, the answer to that question is "no."

This is becoming two separate issues:
    1. Are traps fixable? Yes, and easily so, simply by setting traps to hit 100% of the time. However, the design team has stated, not just on this issue but on many PvP issues (esp. Colossus Smash) that they see going outside of the core game programming to fix a single problem is something they hate to do, and something they see as a last result. I don't care what they do to hunter traps, I'm just trying to provide a little perspective on the devs post, since it seemed confusing to some people. To reiterate, the question was "Why should cloaked rogues not have to worry about traps?" and the answer is "cloaked rogues should care exactly as much about traps as anyone else, it was dumb for the devs to use that example."

2. The confusion regarding warriors has to do with the way you interpreted my use of the phrase "care about". Saying a warrior doesn't care about his opponent's spell pen is like saying a warrior doesn't care about how much critical hit his opponents have. Does he GEAR for it? No. Does he CARE what it is? Yes. Can he change it directly? No, but it's still a game mechanic that affects his play. If he thought it was important enough, he could change his own gearing for more resists to compensate for his opponents spell pen, or in the case of crits, by getting more resilience. He doesn't gear for it, he gears around it. Make sense?

I was answering care = "think about", you seem to be answering care = "wants it on his gear". In that sense we're both right =)

Edit: I changed my example to one that was a little more PvP centric.
    Pre-emptive double edit: Yes, I know that warriors do want crit on their own gear. I'm saying that, during combat, they should also think about what stats are on their opponents' gear.

Dropping Loads on
    edited March 2011
    Edited to reorder my points:

Re: 1.

I haven't seen the Q&A yet since no one has C-P'd it here, so that was the first time I'd seen the dev clarification about making ability-specific changes like with Colossus Smash. The position is understandable; however, it's still kind of a lazy stance to take when you have ability-specific "bugs" (using that as a general word for software defects, design oversight, whatever) in the first place. The CS change was a ruleset separation specifically to address warriors exploding people without hindering PvE. Traps are another matter entirely, since they're essentially bugged.

Inner edit: Anyway, they've shown they're open to doing this sort of thing more and more in Cata, with Taunts (granted, they're essentially PvE-only abilities) and soon Interrupts being made always-hit. It's like there is a slow dawning upon the devs of the realization that utility doesn't make a lot of sense being tied to the "hit rating" stat, which makes more sense to be segmented as a DPS stat, not an omnistat. Just like crit and mastery are "throughput" stats. It would be a weird game indeed where a "crit" Cyclone lasted 3 seconds longer.
    2. The confusion regarding warriors has to do with the way you interpreted my use of the phrase "care about". Saying a warrior doesn't care about his opponent's spell pen is like saying a warrior doesn't care about how much critical hit his opponents have. Does he GEAR for it? No. Does he CARE what it is? Yes. Can he change it directly? No, but it's still a game mechanic that affects his play. If he thought it was important enough, he could change his own gearing for more resists to compensate for his opponents spell pen, or in the case of crits, by getting more resilience. He doesn't gear for it, he gears around it. Make sense?
    Not really. You literally change nothing about your gear based on individual opponents. You just gear around 4/5% hit cap, get X amount of spell pen if you care about spell pen, etc. Resilience doesn't even affect crits anymore, so I don't see why your opponent's crit chance would even affect that "decision," which isn't even really a decision you make. If you feel you're dying too fast in general for your own preference or your pocket healer to keep up, then you try to get more resilience at the cost of some DPS, but that's the sort of thing that will vary from game to game to game. Sure, you care if your opponent is a dribbling retard or a Gladiator, but there's nothing you do in response to it, so using "care" in that sense becomes essentially meaningless.
    I'm saying that, during combat, they should also think about what stats are on their opponents' gear.
    I'm honestly curious how you expect this scenario to work in practice. It reads like a hand wave over the two massive issues of 1) actually identifying a gear differential beyond "he geared good" and "he geared not so good" and 2) what strategic or tactical change one would make based on somehow getting through (1).

forty on
    edited March 2011
    About as much gear analysis I ever do in PVP is

"Does he have a big glowing sword?"

Yes? Dismantle
    No? Kill kill kill

Jasconius on