As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Starcraft 2: Patch 1.3 on SEA! Notes on Page 93 (too long for OP)

• VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    tlo hasn't played yet

paypal appears to be down, or at least I can't get to it, so I can't get my gstl season ticket yet. booo. want to watch the games.

edit - now that I posted, it works! wooo

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    yeah but everyone knows nada will win that round

peacekeeper on
  • WhatWhat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    HuKs really bad at HoN.

A clowntoss cant effectively play Pudge. No surprise.

EDIT: And Kelly is really stupid. Jesus.

What on
  • Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Regarding nydus worms at higher level play:

I think if you group nydus worms into "drop play" as a playstyle, you'll see that there are 5 ways to do drops across the three races, where I'm loosely defining a "drop" as a way to get units somewhere unexpected.

Terran- Medivac only, but it's good and you were probably going to build one anyway.

Protoss- Proxy pylon - gateway only, but you're definitley building them anyway.
    Warp Prism - Carries any units, can make a powerfield for cannons and warp-ins, hard to retreat.

Zerg- Overlord drops - requires upgrade (2 for speed), but you're definitley building them anyway.
    Nydus network- most unit types, infinite capacity, slow unloading, hard to sneak past a good opponent.

So at top level play, it seems that (for good or bad) players aren't willing to go out of their way to perform a drop unless it is something they could already do. Occasionally you'll see warp prism play or dedicated baneling drops, but I would guess that currently pros don't see an advantage to building dedicated drop units/structures that exist only for making the drop, at least for the majority of games.

(Also, include my usual caveat here that I suck at this game so feel free to offer points to the contrary.)

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What wrote: »
    HuKs really bad at HoN.

A clowntoss cant effectively play Pudge. No surprise.

EDIT: And Kelly is really stupid. Jesus.

how can someone not play pudge

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
    edited March 2011
    look guys not everything is as easy as playing toss

peacekeeper on
  • HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Is there a live thingy going on right now?

Paid only?

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    http://www.teamliquid.net/video/streams/Special%20Endrey

Dimaga vs Duffman on here right now for free.

edit: nvm dima just lost, dunno who is on next

815165 on
    edited March 2011
    the gstl in the topic was like 10hrs, op must be a toss player or something

peacekeeper on
    edited March 2011
    peacekeeper on
  • MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Who are all the TL foreigners that are in the oGs house in Korea?

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I know this comes out a bunch but I wish something would be done about warp gates. Maybe force you to upgrade pylons to warp pylons or just delay the tech to a different building other than cybernetics core.

Its just 4 gating makes almost every matchup a guessing game, and would drastically fix PvP

wakkawa on
  • TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Whoa whoa whoa... I just looked it up. Warp gate tech is 50/50? Is that what the cost is currently? What the fuck is it with P and T having these stupidly low costing upgrades? Pisses me right the fuck off. Concussive shells are 50/50 too? I have an idea. Give me burrow for 50/50. Give me ling speed for 50/50.

*wipes my zerg tears*

Do you guys remember how overlord speed was 50/50 in the beta and then they changed it to 100/100 because they felt like it wasn't a choice. Zerg just always got it. *cough* warp gates *cough*.

TheBog on
    edited March 2011
    Dude, your Bruce Willis is scaring the crap out of me.

Makes me want to wall-in and turtle the whole game.
    Oh wait, I can't!

(kekekek)

They'll get it right in a few years... Consider this our hyperbolic chamber period.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
  • TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    TheBog wrote: »
    Whoa whoa whoa... I just looked it up. Warp gate tech is 50/50? Is that what the cost is currently? What the fuck is it with P and T having these stupidly low costing upgrades? Pisses me right the fuck off. Concussive shells are 50/50 too? I have an idea. Give me burrow for 50/50. Give me ling speed for 50/50.

*wipes my zerg tears*

Do you guys remember how overlord speed was 50/50 in the beta and then they changed it to 100/100 because they felt like it wasn't a choice. Zerg just always got it. *cough* warp gates *cough*.

I think the balance comes where you build less buildings overall. Of course you have to look at 300 only for the hatch, but add 150 eventually cause you want a queen usually. A zerg player might have 10~ buildings. A toss or Terran will have that many rax/gates alone.

Topia on
  • BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Topia wrote: »

I think the balance comes where you build less buildings overall. Of course you have to look at 300 only for the hatch, but add 150 eventually cause you want a queen usually. A zerg player might have 10~ buildings. A toss or Terran will have that many rax/gates alone.

I doubt you'll ever see a hive without a queen on it. A zerg player might have 10 buildings but they also lost 10 drones to make those buildings.

I'm just realizing about a week or so into sc2 that I have... chosen poorly. Zerg, you were cool 10 years ago, what happened to you man? What happened to you?

Boogdud on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Zerg are still cool, it is just unfortunate that most of the top zerg players are Idra.

Fizban140 on
  • TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Boogdud wrote: »
    I doubt you'll ever see a hive without a queen on it. A zerg player might have 10 buildings but they also lost 10 drones to make those buildings.

I'm just realizing about a week or so into sc2 that I have... chosen poorly. Zerg, you were cool 10 years ago, what happened to you man? What happened to you?

Nothing, we got off to a rough start and it spawned this mindset of a defeatist Z attitude that's only been exacerbated by people like IdrA ("FD only won because RainBOw played poorly"). When you're looking for imbalance you'll find it but thanks to Matchmaking it shouldn't be relevant if your goal is to improve. Maybe the Gold Terrans you fight would be bronze as Zerg, but why does that matter to you? Zergs are still posting good results and "standard play" is changing more rapidly than it has at any point since the game's release.

Hatch tech ZvT, Infestors everywhere, safe hatch first in ZvZ, this is the most exciting time to be Zerg!

EDIT: IdrA's a great player and I think people overstate his BM, but he may just be the whiniest mother fucker I've ever heard of

TannerMS on
    edited March 2011
    I wouldn't call Idra a "top" zerg.

I feel Morrow, July and mOOnglade are much better. Idra is just really loud.

What on
    edited March 2011
    Also, we got a ballin' music video!

Banelings are a blast!

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
    edited March 2011

July is the only one of those who is better than Idra.

815165 on
    edited March 2011
    MMMig wrote: »
    Also, we got a ballin' music video!

Banelings are a blast!

Eh I wouldn't call them much better, Idra is very good, one of the best if not the best foriegner zerg player. We will see when the NASL comes! Or TSL, whichever.

Fizban140 on
  • StreltsyStreltsy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    TheBog wrote: »

*wipes my zerg tears*

I remember when concussive shells weren't an upgrade. And when reaper speed was on rax tech labs and not fact tech labs.

You're a goose then, because he's considered a top zerg by most pros (although not necessarily the best).

Also Morrow isn't exactly quiet himself:
    Morrow wrote:
    I'm not very confident in general vs Protoss because of the imbalance (Yes its imbalanced, get over it)

Streltsy on
    410239-1.png
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    IdrA complains too much. He'd sooner blame anything and everything on imbalance than come up with any kind of solution.

But he's right about FD and July being more lucky than good during their best GSL seasons.

I'd say that Leenock, Losira and MorroW are the best zerg players around at the moment. Though Leenock's prone to choking in high pressure situations.

IdrA's obviously mechanically very strong but he just doesn't seem to adapt well when the game starts slipping away.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    edited March 2011
    Lots of players acting pretty unprofessional in personal comments regarding balance, they need to keep that out of public. Makes the whole scene look bad especially when most of the comments are in no way constructive.

Fizban140 on
    edited March 2011
    kedinik wrote: »
    IdrA complains too much. He'd sooner blame anything and everything on imbalance than come up with any kind of solution.

But he's right about FD and July being more lucky than good during their best GSL seasons.

I'd say that Leenock, Losira and MorroW are the best zerg players around at the moment. Though Leenock's prone to choking in high pressure situations.

IdrA's obviously mechanically very strong but he just doesn't seem to adapt well when the game starts slipping away.

I feel this is all that keeps him afloat.

What on
  • EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    kedinik wrote: »

I'd agree Losira is criminally underrated, but Leenock is so prone to choking that it's hard to call him best. He's only had one really good series, against clide, and hasn't really done much since then. Idra is easily the equal of any of those three as well. I think Nestea is indisputably the best zerg in the world, with july/idra/losira as far second places. Those three are pretty hard to judge just because of their style differences. Idra and Losira are pretty close I think, but July's macro play lacks a little in comparison to those two, whereas his aggressive play is a lot stronger. Morrow isn't bad either, but I'm not really convinced how good he is relative to those three.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
    edited March 2011
    DJ Wheat said this at PAX, and I agree with the general comment, that the SC community is much more manner and mature than other communities in general.

Man, I remember an MLG Tekken 6 final, where they let one of the semi-finalists on stage to co-cast the other semi-final match (like, he was going to face the winner of that match).

Dude was soooo bm, talking smack, and the casters ate it all up... it made rage-quit look like a gentleman's handshake.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png

wra
    edited March 2011
    Speaking of Idra, MLG interviewed him here.

815165 on
    edited March 2011
    MMMig wrote: »
    DJ Wheat said this at PAX, and I agree with the general comment, that the SC community is much more manner and mature than other communities in general.

Man, I remember an MLG Tekken 6 final, where they let one of the semi-finalists on stage to co-cast the other semi-final match (like, he was going to face the winner of that match).

Dude was soooo bm, talking smack, and the casters ate it all up... it made rage-quit look like a gentleman's handshake.

Ever watch a Halo match? Lots of shit talk going on constantly but it is a little different since all the top players know each other pretty well, small community compared to Starcraft.

Actually Halo is WAY different, its a small group of players who dominate the game, they don't even practice much compared to some players they are just that good.

Interview..

MLG: July has been tearing it up in the GSL lately using a lot of aggressive strategies. Do you think this style of play has a future for Zerg? [Please note: this interview was conducted shortly before the GSL Code S Finals between STJuly and OgSMC.]

Idra: Not really. I think MC is going to show just how fragile July's play is in the Finals. Nada played completely into July's hands in their match, playing aggressive timing pushes versus July's low Drone style, while if he had just pulled back and played defensively he could’ve won easily. And Anypro is simply not a top level player; beating him in the Semifinals isn't particularly meaningful. July's run has been a result of lucky circumstances and an unusual style that his opponents weren't prepared for. But it’s certainly not something that’s viable long-term.

Fizban140 on
  • EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, it's a pretty good interview. For all his whining, in these big interviews where he's not trolling, he's actually quite fair and articulate.

Morrow's interviews are always good too. He writes fucking essays, it's awesome/crazy.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Euphemon wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a pretty good interview. For all his whining, in these big interviews where he's not trolling, he's actually quite fair and articulate.

Morrow's interviews are always good too. He writes fucking essays, it's awesome/crazy.

I liked how IdrA aggressively trolled MorroW during IEM.

And then MorroW just shrugged it off and sat next to IdrA to watch the finals.

BUDDIES, :P

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    edited March 2011
    Yeah lol. I don't think it was that big of a deal either, apparently Idra just smiled a bit and TLO noticed. Pretty sure those two actually on pretty good terms. Morrow said in his interview that he talks with Idra about zerg as well, so...

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    Lots of players acting pretty unprofessional in personal comments regarding balance, they need to keep that out of public. Makes the whole scene look bad especially when most of the comments are in no way constructive.

Or it makes it attractive, I've never heard of a professional entertainer that acted "professionally".

TannerMS on
  • Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Patch/Lock tomorrow boooooooooooooys

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/2494686

Reset next week

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
    edited March 2011
    TannerMS wrote: »

Or it makes it attractive, I've never heard of a professional entertainer that acted "professionally".

all I see him saying is qq

I see too many comments from pros about match ups or imbalance and they don't explain themselves at all so it makes them look bad.

Fizban140 on
  • Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Boogdud wrote: »
    Topia wrote: »

first, you need to add 50m, + mining time to recreate the drone to any building. Let's say that puts you around +70m for every building.

and of course every hatch has a queen - you literally DOUBLE it's larva output, for half the cost (less, actually) than dropping another macro hatch.

Joe K on
  • PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Euphemon wrote: »
    Yeah lol. I don't think it was that big of a deal either, apparently Idra just smiled a bit and TLO noticed. Pretty sure those two actually on pretty good terms. Morrow said in his interview that he talks with Idra about zerg as well, so...

yeah, Idra is a lot more reasonable than his forum persona would have you think

specifically, everything he says refers to the context of the time that he posted

it wouldn't be very reasonable to assume that idra would seriously hate morrow 6 months after he made some troll comment on switching from terran to zerg

PoolCue on
  • KambingKambing Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    MLG: July has been tearing it up in the GSL lately using a lot of aggressive strategies. Do you think this style of play has a future for Zerg? [Please note: this interview was conducted shortly before the GSL Code S Finals between STJuly and OgSMC.]

Idra: Not really. I think MC is going to show just how fragile July's play is in the Finals. Nada played completely into July's hands in their match, playing aggressive timing pushes versus July's low Drone style, while if he had just pulled back and played defensively he could’ve won easily. And Anypro is simply not a top level player; beating him in the Semifinals isn't particularly meaningful. July's run has been a result of lucky circumstances and an unusual style that his opponents weren't prepared for. But it’s certainly not something that’s viable long-term.

So much unwarranted idra hate on these forums, I swear.

But regardless of what you think about idra, his comments about July's play and zerg aggression in general are spot on.

Kambing on
    @TwitchTV, @Youtube: master-level zerg ladder/customs, commentary, and random miscellany.