As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ar Tonelico III: Knell of Ar Ciel [PS3] - they still be crazy.

• GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah standing still is your block. If you block you can immediately attack afterward though, so you can catch the beats that come right after the attack.

Also I knew about select highlighting exits, but my problem was that the exit I needed was off-screen and I couldn't reach it because of the missing platform. So I didn't even know where to go.

Gilder on
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Krathoon on
    edited March 2011
    Ouch, Phase 3 in hard mode really hurts. Forget what I said about being overleveled. These advanced Reyvatails have 15k health and hit me unblocked for like 150-200. The robots are even worse. The experience gain isn't much more either, so even after nearly clearing out the encounter bar twice in this first dungeon area I'm still in my 40's.

Also I don't know if this has a phase 4? There's no room on the trophy list for one unless it's hidden, which is possible, because after Phase 2 Beater the endings are next on the list. If there isn't one then this will end up being the shortest AT game, because I'm only at 20 hours. I haven't gotten the third yet either, but I think I know who it is. So here's hoping.

Gilder on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm using an FAQ and yeah there is a Phase 4.

Man...I really wish this game would have used the "Tales of" tactics system.

A "attack enemy leader isn't attacking" option would be really appreciated.

Dragkonias on
    edited March 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    I'm using an FAQ and yeah there is a Phase 4.

Man...I really wish this game would have used the "Tales of" tactics system.

A "attack enemy leader isn't attacking" option would be really appreciated.

Sweet, I always love how crazy things get in Phase 4. As for tactics I would've liked an option for "Tatsumi what the FUCK are you doing holy shit back off" because oh my god. Oh my god he never gets any better. His defense is equal now to Aoto and Gojo and he still dies all the freaking time. I don't know how he does it. I mean I'm nearly dying too and I'm popping Heel a like it's candy, but Tats is just..... god.

Gilder on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah...I'm going to ease up on Saki's Cromosphere until I get to a place that gives decent points.

Having to grind out that 21000 DP was really annoying and I just read that to the optimal requirement for her next one is 25000...you only need around 5000 to beat it but I don't want to.

Dragkonias on
    edited March 2011
    Is it really optimal? Because I did the other way and that seemed to be the "better" way. The 25000 DP way requires you to
    Kiss Finnel and then Saki catches you in the act.

So I thought that was more of a punishment? I didn't go all the way through on that path, but I know that doing what I did in the spoiler doesn't even reward you with any CG art. It looks like it will, but then it doesn't. You get the Hyuma either way as well from that particular scene. Do you need to do it the other way for an extra Hyuma later on in that level? My backup save is actually right before I started doing anything in phase 3, so if it's important to spend the extra DP I can always go back. About an hour and a half of my playtime was cosmosphere dialogue I'll just skip.

Edit: I mean looking at the guide on gamefaqs it just says he took the path because he had DP to burn. He doesn't say anything about getting an extra hyuma or whatnot, so I think it's just a punishment. The gamefaqs guide specifically mentions in level 4 to do the 8000 point choice but says it's optional to do the level 5 choice, so I really think it's just to screw with you for messing up and not choosing right. If it gave a hyuma or art it would be in the guide, because he always says what gives a trophy and has you do all the optional stuff. 5 seems to be an exception.

Gilder on
    edited March 2011
    I guess. Probably right. If it doesn't give a trophy it probably doesn't come into play later.

Dragkonias on
    edited March 2011
    Yeah I got worried that I might have missed something so I went and checked the guide and that's what I saw. Most likely he wrote that guide on a NG+ where he had DP to spare. They can't expect you to work up 25k more DP after you just did 21k in the last level, even if it was optional. That guide lists all the trophies as well, even when you literally can't avoid getting one like in Finnel's level 5, so he would've listed if you needed to pay 20k for a trophy there. It has to be a penalty, because it makes sense in the context of that level's story. They probably figure you'll crash, start the story over, and not mess up at the bridge next time.

Gilder on
  • MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I can't figure out this purging thing.

Like, for the first one, I mapped attack up to R1, because that's the first effect I want, right? So I hold R1 and shake the controller and suddenly there's a girl missing some clothes. Alright, cool.

Now I hold R2 and shake, (because I'm right handed, hurr hurr) and some more clothes come off.

But L1 and 2 do nothing. What's up with this? And yeah, I've unlocked the EX thing in both the cosmosphere and the game. So whats up with this?

Metalbourne on
    edited March 2011

Like, for the first one, I mapped attack up to R1, because that's the first effect I want, right? So I hold R1 and shake the controller and suddenly there's a girl missing some clothes. Alright, cool.

Now I hold R2 and shake, (because I'm right handed, hurr hurr) and some more clothes come off.

But L1 and 2 do nothing. What's up with this? And yeah, I've unlocked the EX thing in both the cosmosphere and the game. So whats up with this?

...You have to have a Hyuma equipped to that level I believe.

As for the EX and multi-level stuff. You have to wait until you get the tutorial for it in-game.

Don't worry so much about purging pass level 2 until Phase 2 starts. The higher your dive level with the Revy, the easier it is to get the purge because their stuff spikes higher.

Dragkonias on
    edited March 2011

As for the EX and multi-level stuff. You have to wait until you get the tutorial for it in-game.

Don't worry so much about purging pass level 2 until Phase 2 starts. The higher your dive level with the Revy, the easier it is to get the purge because their stuff spikes higher.

Yup, got enough hyumas, unlocked EX in the cosmosphere, I'm actually in phase 2 right now and past the correct tutorial

Is it because I havent snuck into her room and fed her enough hot dogs yet?

Metalbourne on
    edited March 2011

Yup, got enough hyumas, unlocked EX in the cosmosphere, I'm actually in phase 2 right now and past the correct tutorial

Is it because I havent snuck into her room and fed her enough hot dogs yet?

Hmm...I've been doing level 3s and 4s quite easily myself(well, if the enemies don't die before I get them).

Basically, the best way to get them is just timing your attacks for the high spikes on the bar.

You need around 20 or so beat ups to get to level 3 so it can take some time.

Dragkonias on
    edited March 2011
    Wait what exactly are you trying to do? Are you trying to do two purges at once? Because that's a separate tutorial (It's higher than 4 purges) and it never freaking works. Also you're diving in each girl evenly right? Because level EX for Saki isn't EX for Finnel.

Gilder on
    edited March 2011
    Gilder wrote: »
    Wait what exactly are you trying to do? Are you trying to do two purges at once? Because that's a separate tutorial (It's higher than 4 purges) and it never freaking works. Also you're diving in each girl evenly right? Because level EX for Saki isn't EX for Finnel.

Actually, someone on GameFAQs explained a much better method of doing it than the game does.

Basically, the success rate of the double purge depends on your beat up count...higher beat up means a higher success rate.

12+ beats is pretty much 100% for double purge.
    20+ beats is the same for triple purge.

So, just count them.

Dragkonias on
    edited March 2011
    Oh okay, so basically there's an invisible gauge filling up at the same time that requires a few more beats than the normal purge does. I thought it might be something like that. That's a lot more convenient than doing them one level at a time.

Gilder on
    edited March 2011

Nope, just one purge at a time.

Like, if she has all her clothes and I hold L1 and shake, she doesn't do anything.

Hold R1 and shake? Bam. dress flies right off.

Metalbourne on
    edited March 2011
    Hmm...that's strange.

As long as you see Purge Ready and you haven't used the same direction already...you should be good.

All I can say...is either you've got a buggy game or a fudged up controller.

Dragkonias on
    edited March 2011
    That is odd, because you don't need a hyuma attached to purge and the elements don't really matter. Are you trying it when you're fighting some robot type enemies? Because those can cause scramble, and maybe you're trying at the exact moment they try to cause that? Or maybe the L buttons are messed up and if you hold one you're actually holding both and trying to cause a double? I don't know.

Gilder on
    edited March 2011
    If you have another controller I would try that.

Dragkonias on
    edited March 2011
    Hm. Both L1 and L2 work just fine. The corresponding...nodule pops up, depending on what side I've put my finger on. Maybe there's something wrong with my technique, as I tend to just flop it back and forth with one hand. My left isn't exactly my dominant hand, so maybe there's just not enough stimulation to get it off.

Ar Tonelico 3: Knell of Double Entendres

Metalbourne on
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ok, how the hell do I find the
    Executive District in Clustania? I know where the Slave and Clustania District are, but I'm looking for that general chick now after Mute fended off some attackers in a cutscene, and I can't find the damn place.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
    edited March 2011
    Well
    Clustania District and Executive the same place I'm pretty sure, because I just got to that part as well like 10 minutes ago. Go back to the birthing chamber or whatever it was called and you'll get told to go the Harvestasha Module, so you have to go all the way back there again.

Edit: Oh snap, did I just get past the part where you would get the bad ending? Sagroth since you just did it as well but I was a fool and did the fight on hard mode (Makes it very difficult by the way) can you tell me
    When you beat the guardian on top of the tower it just went straight to Katene saying the Rinkernator is completely exposed or whatever right? And then you get the scenes with Tyria? Because according to the guide I got the talk topics for beating the boss but it took me quite a while to beat it because hard mode gives it a fuck ton of health and I got a little concerned. I think though that if you fail that fight by taking 6 minutes and 40 seconds you get the bad ending. Just want to make sure we saw the same basic scenes.

Gilder on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Like, if she has all her clothes and I hold L1 and shake, she doesn't do anything.

I feel like this would make a great out of context sig.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well
    Clustania District and Executive the same place I'm pretty sure, because I just got to that part as well like 10 minutes ago. Go back to the birthing chamber or whatever it was called and you'll get told to go the Harvestasha Module, so you have to go all the way back there again.

Edit: Oh snap, did I just get past the part where you would get the bad ending? Sagroth since you just did it as well but I was a fool and did the fight on hard mode (Makes it very difficult by the way) can you tell me
    When you beat the guardian on top of the tower it just went straight to Katene saying the Rinkernator is completely exposed or whatever right? And then you get the scenes with Tyria? Because according to the guide I got the talk topics for beating the boss but it took me quite a while to beat it because hard mode gives it a fuck ton of health and I got a little concerned. I think though that if you fail that fight by taking 6 minutes and 40 seconds you get the bad ending. Just want to make sure we saw the same basic scenes.

Well...
    If they're the same, where is that damn General at?

and yeah...
    I got the scenes you were describing, so I think you're fine.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
    edited March 2011
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Well

Well...
    If they're the same, where is that damn General at?

and yeah...
    I got the scenes you were describing, so I think you're fine.

You might be just a tiny bit further than I am but
    Did you get the scene to go Harvestasha's room? Because I know after Mute shows up they just say they need to find Akane, and then if you head back down to the birthing chamber, where Finnel's destroyed tube was, you get told to go to Harvestasha's room. So if you've done that you're farther than me because I stopped when they told me I had to go back there. If they want you to find the executive district after that.... oh wait. Weren't there some shielded elevators around the slave district? Maybe those are open now? Does the objective command at camp give you any hints? This is about how lost I was when I had to get to Clustania but had never moved that platform up. Make sure to press select so you can see the arrows for exits. It might be one of those invisible exit walkways.

As for the other thing cool, but now I'm not sure if that was the spot for the bad ending. Because I realized the guide would probably have said something about it. However he lists talk events that you only get if you beat the boss. But.... if you don't beat the boss then how do you proceed? Aaaaaaa whatever.

Edit: Just confirmed, Sargoth that fight is indeed the fight to determine your endings. If you fail to beat him I guess you can't get the true endings later and can only get normal or bad. If you want to make absolutely sure you won then check your talk topics. 6-2 for Finnel, and 4-4 and 6-5 for Saki are only available if you beat the boss and didn't run out of time. So if you have those in your talk topics you're golden.

Gilder on
    edited March 2011
    Reynolds wrote: »

I feel like this would make a great out of context sig.

well somebody better do something, I sat up all night thinking up these double entendres!

Metalbourne on
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That should be the new thread title:

"Ar Tonelico III: Knell of Ar Ciel [PS3] - Hold R1 and shake to strip girls' clothes"

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
    edited March 2011
    Something I got spoiled by reading the art book, so I don't know where it shows up in the game, but

Tatsumi
    is way cuter than Cocona.

Metalbourne on
    edited March 2011
    Hey cj, can you add something to the OP? After a lot of "panicking" and aggravation over not being sure if I did the right thing for a certain boss fight, because holy shit I am a paranoid and panicky person when it comes to videogame endings and screwing myself out of them, I finally managed to confirm that I did do it right and I think people should know about it. It affects whether or not you can even get to the final phase, and if you fail then you'll have to NG+ all the way from the start of Phase 2 to get heart points.

Warning about activating the Final Phase

About halfway through Phase 3 there will be a boss fight against something/someone known as M.Y.U.. This fight must be completed within 6 minutes and 40 seconds, otherwise you cannot go to the final phase in that file. You will have to start a NG+, and if you wish to redistribute your heart points the same way you must restart from the beginning of Phase 2. If your team runs away then you have failed to defeat it in time. If they do not and you stay in the location you fought the boss then you have defeated it in time and are on the path to the final phase.

Gilder on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    They should have made it freeze up at 6:40 just to screw with people.

And, done.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2011
    It's really an asshole move, because that boss is..... well on normal it's probably just fine but on hard it's pretty difficult. It can do a lot of damage, but the thing is a freaking wall. It has a lot of HP, so if you aren't around level 50 at that point there's a good chance you won't be able to do it in time on hard mode because your vanguards are severely gimped on that difficulty. I think I was really pushing the limit. The game keeps going for the entire rest of the phase though. It's just at the end you'll find out you fucked up and you can't go to phase 4 now. So in that sense it kind of seems like it's to reward grinders and for those that were too weak they'll get their real crack at it with all the experience gained from the rest of the phase that they brought back. But fuck that, I don't want to replay all of phase 2 again yet. I'm going to be doing that when I want to get Finnel's ending.

Gilder on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I assume, like usual, you're after #3.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited March 2011
    Actually no, I went with Saki this time. I like Finnel as a character normally, but the whole Master/Servant thing is weird. Like Aoto is a serious asshole about it in her cosmosphere before she even starts to accept it. Saki so far is much more normal, but I did hate that one level I mentioned a while back. Also #3 is apparently kind of confusing and has a number of requirements attached to them. It's best to read a guide to know what to do for her. Plus you need to distribute all 3 heart points from dialogue choices before you even get the third. So you can't even play it safe because they're trying to make you choose right away. You can't see if the third is one you even like yet. I do know who it is though, and I'll probably go for them next. I expect comedic situations and wackiness shall ensue.

Gilder on
    edited March 2011
    I went with Finnel myself...just...I just hate when people refer to themselves in third person.

I mean I skip through it whenever I read it on the screen but damn is it annoying.

Dragkonias on
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Actually no, I went with Saki this time. I like Finnel as a character normally, but the whole Master/Servant thing is weird. Like Aoto is a serious asshole about it in her cosmosphere before she even starts to accept it. Saki so far is much more normal, but I did hate that one level I mentioned a while back. Also #3 is apparently kind of confusing and has a number of requirements attached to them. It's best to read a guide to know what to do for her. Plus you need to distribute all 3 heart points from dialogue choices before you even get the third. So you can't even play it safe because they're trying to make you choose right away. You can't see if the third is one you even like yet. I do know who it is though, and I'll probably go for them next. I expect comedic situations and wackiness shall ensue.

Is it the big girl? It's the big girl, isn't it. I know you want that Gilder.

blaze_zero on
    edited March 2011
    Isn't the third one always an Origin Revy?

Dragkonias on
    edited March 2011
    Aoto actually calls another character out when they do that third person thing, but I don't think he ever calls Saki out on it. I'm not a fan of it either, but I'm able to deal with that more than I am with "Oh Aoto, never let go of my chain. It makes me feel safe and secure."

Drag, was Jacqli an origin? I don't even remember anymore because its been so long since I played 1 and 2. Was she the origin for the second tower? Anyway it's pretty obvious once you see them. Like you'll think maybe it's someone else but then nope, it's definitely that one.

blaze I WISH it was Mute. She's hilarious and makes every scene great. "SHUT THE HELL UP YOU DICKNOSE!"

Also man, I really should have played AT2 again before this, because until I looked in the glossary I had forgotten who Dr. Laude was. Then I saw it and went "Ohhhhhh yeah, that guy! What a dick."

Gilder on
    edited March 2011
    Wait...she wasn't...but she was strong like one.

So I'm guessing the third will probably be a really strong one. Haven't met any that fit that bill but I'm only about 1/3 of the way through Act 2.

Dragkonias on
  • YggiDeeYggiDee The World Ends With You Shill Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    In regards to Jaquli (Ar Tonelico 2 Spoilers):
    She was a Beta, not an Origin. She was manufactured by superscience and is 400 years old but she's not an Administrator. The Origin for the 2nd tower was Frelia.

YggiDee on