As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Interview Tomorrow! Need Clothes Help!

lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Alright guys, I know last minute.

But I have got a job interview tomorrow morning. And as such, I need help picking out the clothing!!

I have narrowed it down to two options.

Option #1
IMG_0570.jpg

Option #2
IMG_0569.jpg

A few things to keep in mind. This is a call center position, but no idea what their clothing requirements are.
Providing on the weather, I will be walking back to the bus stop after the interview, which is a good 1.5k and then another 800m from the end bus stop to the house. so comfort is a fairly important thing.

Yes I have shoes. And jewelry and makeup.

lonelyahava on

• CryogenCryogen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Definitely option 1 imho. It looks more professional, which for an interview is the more important consideration.

Cryogen on
  • TzyrTzyr Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, I agree with #1 as well.

If you need to do so much walking, be sure to bring comfortable shoes! If you want, you could carry your dress shoes (if you do not have nice looking comfortable walking shoes) in a bag or something and just change when you get there.

Tzyr on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    yeah, I've got my purse/shopping bag that i'm bringing with me. It's not the most professional thing, but it will do the task of holding the shoes.

Alright, that's like 6 votes for #1 from everybody that i've asked.

hair will be down, maybe with some small barettes, and curly as I don't have a straightening iron with me yet.

light makeup, subtle earrings.

I got this.

thanks guys, I was kinda panicking

lonelyahava on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That vest doesn't fit you at all and you should go with option 2. Also, colors are good. The first one is crazy dull.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    I would say #1 but I like dull and anyway fashion advice from me should never be taken. Whatever I think you should do, you should probably do the opposite.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I like option 2, but option 1 is more professional. Both are rather professional though.

It depends, though, as because option 1 more fits "shirt and tie" and option 2 is more "polo and khakis." The colors will make you stand out more in the interview.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited March 2011
    The vest makes you look even bigger. It just doesn't fit you.

Improvolone on
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I would bring the Rock Band keyboard as an accessory. If I were the interviewer I would recognize that Rock Band requires teamwork and coordination, and if you can handle pro keys then clearly you can handle the multi-tasking requirements of a call center.

wonderpug on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The vest makes you look even bigger. It just doesn't fit you.

#1 is more professional, but yeah, it doesn't fit you quite right.

Belts are good because it creates a visual 'break'.

Oh, maybe too late. Let us know how it went!

MichaelLC on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    geee

i'm glad I rechecked this morning.

Now I get to be indecisive again.

I'll let you guys know how it goes!

ohgod help me.

lonelyahava on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    You'll be fine.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd vote number 2. Everybody who goes in will be wearing something like number 1. You'll stand out more with some colour. It may not be perfectly formal or anything, but its still very professional looking for most jobs.

Wezoin on
    edited March 2011
    Relaaaaaaaax

Improvolone on
  • ecco the dolphinecco the dolphin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thanks for all the advice - Ahava's in her interview right now.

Ended up wearing....

(get ready for it...)
    Option 2!

ecco the dolphin on
    Penny Arcade Developers at PADev.net.
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Now if you get the job, a portion of your pay goes to H&A. It's just what's done.

MichaelLC on
    edited March 2011
    Or, you know... Child's Play
    or more clothes!!!!!!

Improvolone on
    edited March 2011
    Or, you know... Child's Play
    or more clothes!!!!!!

Well, we'd act as a clearing house to distribute the funds as needed. And posting is thirsty work, so an 80% beer/booze fund would be required.

Good luck!

MichaelLC on
    edited March 2011
    pdate:

Wore the multi-colored shirt, mainly because I don't need anything to make me look bigger than I am.

good thing too!

As I was waiting for the interview to start i realized that by wearing said shirt, I matched the company logo. almost exactly! :D

Interview went well, so far as I could tell. I'll hear back by Friday whether they want me to come back next week for a 2nd interview with the office manager!

Thanks for your help in my moment of fashion crisis!

(even better news, it looks like there's a company issued shirt to be worn, and the bottoms can be whatever you want! SCORE!)

lonelyahava on
    edited March 2011
    Figured I'd update you guys!

Interview went stellar.

However, due to my visa status, I am not quite kiwi enough (my words not theirs) that they won't hire me.

When I become more permanently Visa'd, I should feel free to reapply and they will consider my application once again, should they still have openings.

Thanks for your advice guys! I think the clothes really helped atleast get the interview part. the rest of it, well, not much to be done for it yet.

lonelyahava on
    edited March 2011
    Good job on the interview!

Strange they would have you come in if they knew your status. I'm guessing it was part of the application? Is it on your resume/CV?

Be sure to send a thank you note, and keep in touch with the manager. Depending on when you'll grow full kiwi fuzz, I might send a note every month or so just checking in with them. If they don't have a spot in their department, they may know something else in the company.

MichaelLC on