As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Idea for an event at PAX Prime 2011 - Gamer Speed Dating

disabledgamerj2disabledgamerj2 Kirkland, WashingtonRegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
I came up with this idea last week and thought I'd post it and see if we should try to see if could become an event at PAX Prime 2011. Gamers Speed Dating. Set up a bunch of tables, give people 5 minutes each to get to know each other and then move on. At the end of it girls could let the moderator of the event know who they liked and then numbers would be exchanged. I'd like some feedback on this idea and before someone points out that it would just be a bunch of guys in line wating for girls, I thought of that. There would have to be a pre-sign up and if there wasn't an equal number of guys to girs - or semi equal - the event just wouldn't happen.

disabledgamerj2 on

• Options
    chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    no!

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    no!

cabsy on
  • Options
    neurosliceneuroslice Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    PAX is not a dating service.

neuroslice on
    Hotel bound on PAX Saturday,
    I exclaimed "Khoo is my Sensei!"
    So if memes make great shirts,
    And Pod Six is Jerks,
    Then Moe, Khoo and I had our day.
  • Options
    rnicollrnicoll Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    no!

Something like this comes up every time there's a PAX (although speed dating is hardly the worst plan I've heard). Such an event would be massively skewed in terms of gender, and a poor fit to PAX as a whole. I'm sure people do start dating at PAX on occasion, and that's great, but IMHO is much better done in an informal non-structured way.

rnicoll on
  • Options
    kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    neuroslice wrote: »
    PAX is not a dating service.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    cabsy wrote: »
    no!

ffs, this is 100x a bad idea. No thanks.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    rnicoll wrote: »
    Something like this comes up every time there's a PAX (although speed dating is hardly the worst plan I've heard). Such an event would be massively skewed in terms of gender, and a poor fit to PAX as a whole. I'm sure people do start dating at PAX on occasion, and that's great, but IMHO is much better done in an informal non-structured way.

Yes.

PAX is NOT a dating service. This doesn't mean that every female there is a man-hater who wants you to leave her alone, but it does mean that they don't want to be looked at as a girl at a con full of guys (and all the leering, flirting, and awkward staring that entails). They want to be gamers at a con full of gamers.

Maybe you are the stereotypical nerd who has a tough time talking to girls. The fact is, you're never going to get a better environment than PAX to have a significant number of girls interested in the same things you are. If you can't talk to girls here, I'm not sure where you could. Take this time to become comfortable just talking to them as people.
    • Don't approach her as a girl (esp if you're afraid of them) - approach her as a fellow gamer, someone with whom you share common interests. Why does it have to be about dating/hooking up/etc? What if you make a new friend?
    • Don't make your first question "So, do you have a boyfriend?".
    • If there is no interest there, don't belabor the point or go through some crazy stunt to win her over. In addition to not being a dating service, PAX is also sadly not a RomCom where your borderline illegal/obsessive antics will be ignored if you win the girl. I have yet to see a slow clap start at PAX in this manner.

Also, guess what? A lot of girls are shy too. Just an FYI.

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
  • Options
    jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hahahaha I would love to see this happen. But not participate. As in, watch from afar at the trainwreck it'll cause. "OH GOD IT'S SO BAD BUT I CAN'T TAKE MY EYES OFF OF IT"

I had a friend who used to call PAX "husbandcon". Needless to say she is not my friend anymore.

juju on
    PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
This discussion has been closed.