As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Cookie Brigade, PAX Prime 2011 - Post-PAX Brigadier Questionairre Ready!

VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
edited September 2011 in PAX Archive

Current Events:

We raised over $14,000 for Child's Play! Woooooot! Thank you everyone for your generous donations, you have helped an awesome cause!

Attention Brigadiers: Please fill out this survey:

http://www.cookie-brigade.com/groups/pax-prime-2011/forum/topic/brigadier-questionairre-please-fill-this-out

Doing so will help us organize better at future PAX events!

Cookie Brigade, PAX Prime 2011

cb.png

Greetings! If you were looking for information regarding becoming a part of the Cookie Brigade for PAX 2011 (or just want to know what it's all about) you came to the right place!

Stay tuned here for updates and information as it develops!

WHO WE ARE:

The Cookie Brigade is a ragtag group of Penny Arcade Forumers who have assembled since PAX 2007 to provide our fellow gamers with delicious baked goods! Cookies are baked by forumers, brought from afar by forumers, and distributed by forumers!

Starting in 2008, the Cookie Brigade began a mission to give these cookies in exchange for donations to Child's Play, the charity started by Mike and Jerry that provides entertainment to kids in children's hospitals. Since starting on this mission, the Cookie Brigade has raised over $30,000 completely from the handing out of cookies and the reception of donations from the incredible, amazing, and generous PAX community!

WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE?

Head to http://cookie-brigade.com/ for more information!

I WANT TO HELP IN THE BRIGADE!

If you're interested in

* Baking delicious cookies
* Distributing to people during PAX
* helping with Logistics

we can definitely use your help! Sign up at our website, http://cookie-brigade.com if you wish to participate in the planning, baking, and/or distributing!

An important note: due to certain external pressures on the Brigade, we have to keep some of our more sensitive planning operations private. If you sign up at the Cookie Brigade website, an Administrator will contact you if you're not a known or frequently posting member of the Forums so that we can verify your identity. Thank you for understanding!

3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
VThornheart on

• Options
    hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I will be attending PAX Prime with my School Girl Goodness Group and we will be baking a many of treats and distributing some of them again. I can't do a ton of distributing due to my back condition. We will have the brownies (called Brown Pleasures), chocolate chip cookies (called Joygasms), no bakes (called Sin Droppings), and from pax east there will be sugar cookie (called The Pacmans). And my uncle is creating me a metroid shaped cookie cutter for more sugar cookies. See you all soon.

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WizMasterWizMaster Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I can't go to Prime but I can bake for it. Since the Chewy was pretty popular I can make a few batches and ship them to Seattle. I never shipped baked goods before though.

WizMaster on
  • Options
    PinkRangerPinkRanger Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I might be able to bake some and deliver them to you guys at Prime, but this will be my first PAX so I want to focus on everything else.

PinkRanger on
    Cosplayer and a gamer.

Find me on twitter- @pink_4ssass1n
    and twitch- twitch.tv/pink_4ssass1n
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    hml, I'm sorry to hear about your back! =( What happened? =( I hope you feel better soon, if possible! =( But either way, it'll be good to see you again!

WizMaster and PinkRanger, that'd be awesome! Every baked good helps the cause, thank you for considering! PinkRanger, be sure to sign up on the website when you get the chance!

Indeed WizMaster, the shipping of cookies can be a bit... timultuous. Unfortunately it can get expensive (since cookies can get very heavy!), so be sure to check on shipping prices. If you have a friend or can find anyone nearby who's going to PAX, perhaps you can have them pack it with their stuff? People have shipped before - and we've gotten the cookies successfully - but we've found that it's definitely not cheap for the baker who has to do so. =(

VThornheart on
  • Options
    cowsvilscowsvils Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    WizMaster wrote: »
    I can't go to Prime but I can bake for it. Since the Chewy was pretty popular I can make a few batches and ship them to Seattle. I never shipped baked goods before though.

I've shipped from Philadelphia to Texas before. It isn't that hard, just be sure you seal them nice and tight (vacuum packing is clutch here) or ship them quickly. UPS doesn't really care though.

cowsvils on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Thank you VThornheart, my back is a life long probably. I just have to be careful about weight and standing in one place too long. Penny Arcade has helped me alot with a disability pass but for the most part I can deal with it. I just think this year I might only distribute the first day but there will be a lot of cookies again coming from my group. And if you need a person to ship to, I live in Spokane, WA. I will be taking a caravan of people and will have room. Thank you again.

hml151 on
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LoptLopt Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I will be enforcing at PAX Prime and will unfortunately not be able to distribute, but I would love to help bake! I would be happy to supply gluten, oat, and dairy free cookies/sweets. Let me know if I could help!

Also, you guys are amazing! EVERY TIME cookies were mentioned, people kept saying how much they loved the Brigade.

Lopt on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Aye, totally understandable: definitely don't push yourself too hard, we don't want anyone being injured in the line of duty! =(

And also Lopt, that would be fantastic! Jump on the site when you get a chance!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    arwen_doll16_LOTRarwen_doll16_LOTR Commander Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hello again!

My group of me, my boyfriend, and our friend who we convinced to come this eyar will be happy to help!

We had some trouble last year when we didn't realize that you could yell in que lines for people to come buy. This year I will be the loud voice while my boy will handle the money and our friend the one carrying things since he is built like a line backer.

We have a strategy this year and look forward to helping!

We ran out of cookies pretty quick last year and couldn't find out where to restock from and had some trouble finding who to turn money into. Just need to figure that out for this year for our group and we will be golden =)

So far i believe I will be making dickerdoodles, pac man sugar cookies (these were a huge hit last year), and a surprise cookie that I will be searching for in my cookbook of desserts.

arwen_doll16_LOTR on
    I should go.
    534159_4247466298641_1660805487_n.jpg
  • Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    PinkRanger wrote: »
    I might be able to bake some and deliver them to you guys at Prime, but this will be my first PAX so I want to focus on everything else.

Same here. How many dozen do we have to provide to get a rad patch? :P

WuShock on
    Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    Menolly07Menolly07 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I plan to bake and distribute. Depending on where the $$s are headquartered I'd be happy to help count on Sunday as well. I believe you said that $$ needed to be straightened for the counting machine. Also, I can do trading cards again.

Menolly07 on
    Still PAXing strong. [E] for lyfe. ELand forever.
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh, to get the patch you just have to be a participating baker or distributor, and abide by our core code of conduct (which is essentially: (1) thou shalt never expose us to Aramark, (2) thou shalt never use the name of the Cookie Brigade (or Child's Play) for personal gain, and (3) thou shalt see to it that 100% of what we collect in donations is given directly to Child's Play). So bake as many as you want!

If it helps, we have achievements that bakers and distributors can earn if you go above and beyond the call of duty for cookie baking, and as of this year we've finally begun creating the infrastructure needed to track Brigadier's statistics: so as we improve the website you'll theoretically be able to watch your baking (and distributing) stats over time and other cool things like that. These are just in the "idea" stage at the moment, but at least starting with PAX East 2011 we're finally tracking the statistics for each person to make such ideas possible!

Sweet, that'd be great Menolly! Also, I can help you with $ if you need more to get more cards: we ran out of cards super quick, we probably should get 4x or 5x more cards. I can definitely help with that, or we can start a donation pool. We'll talk about it more in the site!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh, to get the patch you just have to be a participating baker or distributor, and abide by our core code of conduct (which is essentially: (1) thou shalt never expose us to Aramark, (2) thou shalt never use the name of the Cookie Brigade (or Child's Play) for personal gain, and (3) thou shalt see to it that 100% of what we collect in donations is given directly to Child's Play). So bake as many as you want!

Fear not, I am no friend of Aramark (they put the kibosh on a candy-selling fundraiser we had going in my office because, even at our help-us-raise-money prices, we were undercutting their machines).

WuShock on
    Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    edited March 2011
    Oy vey!

Okay, be sure to sign up at the site linked in the OP!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Love the brigade, may try to provide cookies this year.

A comment though: Whoever came up the oreos wrapped in chocolate chip cookies, I want to have your children. I was sad when I found they ran out.

Heleor on
  • Options
    LoptLopt Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    And also Lopt, that would be fantastic! Jump on the site when you get a chance!

Done...and done!

Lopt on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    lol, I was sad too! I usually try my best not to actually eat any of the cookies that are brought, but that was one in particular that appealed to me on a deep and personal level. But before I even realized they had arrived, they were gone. =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    SpyPoetSpyPoet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd like to share a story about the chocolate-cookie wrapped oreos.

The time is Sunday morning. Scoots isn't in yet, and Morient, Demios and I are sitting at the pair of tables known as the Handheld Lounge. There is a bag containing a cookie. No one touches it. Scoots comes in, warns us to eat it, or else its' getting donated to an attendee.

Jokes fly about it is in there; Scoots mentions someone with a patch dropping it off.

So Demios and I watch as Morient finally decides to open it, revealing a ... chocolate-cookie wrapped oreo.

Well, hell. Demios and I both get intensely jealous as he shows it off.

So, guys, if you get a random cookie: eat it. You'll never know what it's hiding. <3

SpyPoet on
    PAX Prime 2011 Details
    [ ] Transport Brought GAAAAH
    [X] Ticket Brought Enforcer.
    [ ] Hotel Paid For This may be where I get screwed.
    [ ] Cosplay ask nabs/notaboyscout >:3
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That sounds insanely delicious.

In my semi-annual tradition, I want to play Captain Buzzkill and remind everyone about how the legality of Cookie Brigade works. I harp on it because it's an incredible idea, the highlight of my first PAX a few years back, and I never want to see it have to go away. We can't sell food at the conventions centers, so this is sort of a primer on what we can do.

The Cookie Brigade provides free cookies for PAX attendees. They also accept donations to Child's Play while they are distributing cookies. The Cookie Brigade does not accept donations in exchange for cookies, sell cookies, nor trade cookies for donations. If someone asks you for a cookie and does not wish to donate, you should give them one. When advertising yourself, don't use any of those phrases I mentioned. All of that counts as selling.

The vast majority of attendees will respect the ideal of the CB, but you will run into folks who will do the "I just want a cookie" thing. Just let them know you'll gladly accept donations at any time (or whatever your favorite guilt trip is) and move on.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Heleor wrote: »
    A comment though: Whoever came up the oreos wrapped in chocolate chip cookies, I want to have your children. I was sad when I found they ran out.

Heleor, you are very nice, but I don't think I'm ready to have your children...
    SpyPoet wrote: »
    I'd like to share a story about the chocolate-cookie wrapped oreos.
    The time is Sunday morning. Scoots isn't in yet, and Morient, Demios and I are sitting at the pair of tables known as the Handheld Lounge. There is a bag containing a cookie. No one touches it. Scoots comes in, warns us to eat it, or else its' getting donated to an attendee.

Jokes fly about it is in there; Scoots mentions someone with a patch dropping it off.

So Demios and I watch as Morient finally decides to open it, revealing a ... chocolate-cookie wrapped oreo.

Well, hell. Demios and I both get intensely jealous as he shows it off.

So, guys, if you get a random cookie: eat it. You'll never know what it's hiding. <3

The moral of this story is: it's very hit-or-miss when Scoots gives you food! Sometimes it's wretched (bacon jellybeans) and sometimes it's awesome (chocolate chip Oreos).

In case it's unclear, I made the Oreo-stuffed chocolate chip cookies. <3 Super glad everyone liked them. I have to admit, I was a little selfish and didn't share them with the other brigadeiers. I loved telling people about them and/or seeing the look on their faces when they bit into them :rotate:

If I make it to Prime (very likely) I will try to find a way to bake more to bring with me. (I have to fly this time, so I'll need to ship them or borrow a local's kitchen.)

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • Options
    crimsong19crimsong19 New YorkRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hrm ... I'm up for helping out, even though I most likely won't be able to make it out to Seattle towards the end of August 'cause of my final year of college starting ... but maybe I'll see about baking and shipping :)

crimsong19 on
    PAX East status: Hotel [X] Three-day passes [] Two one-day passes [X] Cookie recipes [X] Transportation [X]
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Heleor wrote: »
    Love the brigade, may try to provide cookies this year.

Oh noes!! I already called dibs on Punzie's baby having for cookie trading. Grrr!! Rawr!!! I'm already thinking about some different things, cookie-esque things. My friends have been warned. Friday/Sunday basement gamers are afraid but ready. They've all bought elastic pants to allow for maximum belly extension.

VT, I'll get more this year. I ordered 100 because I wasn't sure how many we'd hand out. I'll definitely get more.

Menolly07 on
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sadly I will probably not make Prime this year. However I will happily make stuff and send it along, I'd like to find someone in Seattle though well ahead of time so I can mail several smaller shipments rather then one large one, the candy thankfully stays for quite a long time.

So.... anyone in Seattle want to be the keeper of Space Invader candy?

ransim on
  • Options
    TheRobotGuyTheRobotGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I might be able to bake and ship them to Prime. It all depends on the cost.

TheRobotGuy on
    Fuck You Bottle is the name of my Jonathan Coulton cover band.
  • Options
    IxmasatIxmasat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I most likely can't make it to Prime (and I've never been either - boo, someday). I, too, am at least tentatively planning on baking and shipping stuff for Prime - depending on the cost of shipping. Or maybe I can find someone in my area that is going and saddle them with treats. There is a local game shop that may have people going, I bet...I know a bunch went/Enforced East this year.

Ixmasat on
  • Options
    NomadRavenNomadRaven Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Looking forward to baking for Prime! Also, I'm local to Seattle and would be happy accept shipments of cookies and/or candy to bring to PAX.

NomadRaven on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ah, we'll miss you Ixmasat! But we'll see you at East for sure! =) And definitely if you find a good way to send cookies, send 'em on over! =)

VThornheart on
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have yet to apprehend any members of the so-called Cookie Brigade (aka EVIL TERRORISTS) at a PAX.

Next time, Cookie Brigade! Next time!!
    Claw_Inspector_Gadget.jpg

Tango on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Please try but all you will get out of me at Prime is attacked by little metroids (cookies)!

hml151 on

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Fengie The NinjaFengie The Ninja Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My room mate and I plan on baking for PAX Prime. We deal with epic proportions. Just point us in the right direction to a cookie brigade distributor.

Fengie The Ninja on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Tango wrote: »
    I have yet to apprehend any members of the so-called Cookie Brigade (aka EVIL TERRORISTS) at a PAX.

Next time, Cookie Brigade! Next time!!
    Claw_Inspector_Gadget.jpg

Does this mean Jaz == Penny? (New cosplay idea Jaz!) =)

Who would be Brain?

And I suppose with my crazy storage devices and lack of dexterity (as well as general absent-mindedness), I'd be Inspector Gadget.

lol, it fits! We just need to figure out who would be Brain. =)

EDIT: Also Fengie, join up on the site (http://cookie-brigade.com)! We have a whole system planned for baking and distribution, and we need all Brigadier to register over there! Sign up when you get the chance!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    *woof*

Menolly07 on
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • Options
    edited March 2011

EDIT: Also Fengie, join up on the site (http://cookie-brigade.com)! We have a whole system planned for baking and distribution, and we need all Brigadier to register over there! Sign up when you get the chance!

Done and done. Just waiting for folks to OK me. :D

-EDIT-

Do we have to worry about allergies? Pretty much everything I make has nuts in it. I read most of this thread to find the answer, but could not find a yes or no answer. I have made tasty diabetic cookies, gluten free cookies, vegan cookies, and I can make cake sized cookies. If brownies, blondies, cookie bars, and rice crispies treats are also distributed, I can make a ton of those as well.

Fengie The Ninja on
  • Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just store a lot of the cookies in [redacted] like you just did at East. That way I can drop 20s in the box and take home bags of cookies. :)

Axon on
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So just out of curiosity... if someone were to bake something a little fancier like say, mini cupcakes en masse, and then pass them out via an old-school cigar girl tray while simultaneously accepting unrelated donations, would that be frowned upon? Simply wondering...

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Oh, we have all sorts of baked goods! We've had brownies, cupcakes (large and mini), candies etc... though by name we're the "Cookie Brigade", we go for pretty much any baked good that doesn't cross the line into something that might put us in more direct competition with the catering companies (such as hot food and such).

So if you want to do that, definitely sign up for the Cookie Brigade! We're definitely up for it!

VThornheart on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Do cupcakes need to be wrapped like other treats? Just a thought.

Menolly07 on
    twitter.com/Menolly07
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    They'd be a bit problematic to wrap if they were frosted, hence the thought about the ol'timey cigar tray. It'd be showy and fun and maybe incline folks to donate a little more, although that would have nothing to do with the cupcakes, of course. :winky:

...They could be plastic wrapped if the frosting was cleverly inserted into the cupcake as a filling though...

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    I think that a current requirement of the cookie brigade is that all things must be individually wrapped. I'm sure there's a clever way to do frosted cupcakes.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Ooh, so if we wanted to get super fancy, we could do miniature pies and tarts as well. Neat.

I would love to see cupcakes sold cigar tray style.

Regarding the cupcakes, would handing them out with disposable gloves work? Hand sanitizer+gloves=clean enough? I work in health care and pretty much the rule is 'Wash hands when visibly soiled, otherwise use hand sanitizer'.

I have seen individual cupcake tupperware things that would keep frosting from spilling, but I am not sure how much they would cost. >.>

*thinking*

You know what, I actually have actually plasticwrapped frosted miniature cupcakes before. I frosted them, froze them, wrapped them, then gave them out. It seemed to be a bit weird at first, but that was during that summer when we had that 104 degree weather in Olympia and everyone seemed to really like them. All of the kids devoured them.

Hopefully you can piece together ideas from my random suggestions. :lol:

Fengie The Ninja on