As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - V1.1 is out. New Cars! New Achievements!

18910111214»

• 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    bficky wrote: »
    When you have your choice of car on a certain race, how do you pick which car to use? Right now, I'm just going by top speed, which I'm sure is the rookie way of doing it. Do you actually take cars out in freedrive and see how they handle? (Is that the point of freedrive, or is there more to it?) Stick to a certain make/type? Just go with your most recent acquisition?

There's not honestly that much difference between cars. There are slight differences in handling and top speed, but there are few if any events where car choice is ever going to be the difference between you winning and losing. A couple of the Duel races are serious mismatches (like the one I complained about pages and pages ago where the Audi just gets its doors blown off by the Porsche) and that's about it. Pick the car you like/are used to.

I just used whatever cars from America were available. Otherwise, a Lamborghini.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I use Murcielagos like fucking crazy. The handling is so, so responsive.

Warcry on
  • RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    What's the situation with Racing Wheels on the Xbox 360, and can anyone recommend a good one? I feel like I'd enjoy this game a shitload more if I had a wheel and pedals.

Rius on
  • JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rius wrote: »
    What's the situation with Racing Wheels on the Xbox 360, and can anyone recommend a good one? I feel like I'd enjoy this game a shitload more if I had a wheel and pedals.

I have heard from people in this thread that this is actually not the case at all

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I logged on yesterday and saw Beltyloa beat one of my times by like 55 seconds. I proceeded to grind that race until I beat him by .10s

I was so happy

Warcry on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So I have a 1280x1024 monitor. And giant text and updates ingame clutter up the screen like whoa. This can and has screwed me over at critical moments because all the shit that's popping up on the display that I can't see what's happening on the road.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I just snagged this off of EA's 50% off sale from their online store deal (that unfortunately says lasts till 4PM PST today). Just letting anybody else know who was waiting for a deal.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I had taken a break from this...I need to get back to playing it so I can finish the single player mode.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I picked this up used for ps3 today and...ARGHBHKSAHBIOFDHOISF I need to pay 9.99 for an onlin epass? ffuuuuuuckkk yooououu! anyone hwo has the ps3 version, is it actually worth an additional 10$? (i paid 15 for the game itself)

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I would say no if you don't find yourself playing much multiplayer in other games.

Shady3011 on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    If you can still do the autolog stuff then its probably not worth it. The multilayer is pretty fun though, plus there's trophies. I dunno.

Ah_Pook on
  • bfickybficky Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I picked this up used for ps3 today and...ARGHBHKSAHBIOFDHOISF I need to pay 9.99 for an onlin epass? ffuuuuuuckkk yooououu! anyone hwo has the ps3 version, is it actually worth an additional 10$? (i paid 15 for the game itself)

I did the same thing as you, got it cheap but used, then found out after that online would be an extra $10. You can still do all the autolog stuff (comparing race times with your friends) even without the online pass, so I haven't been tempted at all to get it. I'd hold off on getting the online pass and play the single player, and if you find yourself saying, "I really want to do this against other humans," then pay the $10.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011

This is a concerted effort by EA to cripple the used game market. Google "EA Project Ten Dollar" if you want to know more about it.

a5ehren on
    edited January 2011
    Dammit, Criterion. You need to stop putting out bad demos. This game is pretty sweet, but the demo (just like Burnout Paradise) doesn't paint the most flattering picture.

Shady3011 on
  • RuinsRuins Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just got this for PS3 at the B2G1 sale at Best Buy. Add me if you want to play online.

THExHUGGERNAUT

Ruins on
    ach.png
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Just installed the game and did my first race. Will definitely have to tweak it, though; the framerate and responsiveness isn't exactly great, in spite of my i7 950/460 SLI machine. Also, I'll have to see whether I can change the installation from German to English.

If anyone wants to add me to their friends list, my user name is Thirith.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
    edited January 2011
    Thirith wrote: »
    Just installed the game and did my first race. Will definitely have to tweak it, though; the framerate and responsiveness isn't exactly great, in spite of my i7 950/460 SLI machine. Also, I'll have to see whether I can change the installation from German to English.

If anyone wants to add me to their friends list, my user name is Thirith.

Will do, once I get off BC2. :L

Warcry on
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Heh. BC2 is the other game I'm installing today. :)

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    after trying out their "free" two day pass I think i'm going to break down and pay them an additional 10 for the online *sigh* curse you for being so fun hot pursuit

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ever since the PC patch came out, my friend and I have been unable to connect to Autolog (needless to say, on the PC). Anyone else having problems with it?

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Anybody play on the iPhone/Pod? How do you do the handbrake 180 on it?

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
    edited February 2011
    trying to close out the last couple trophies in this is really bringing out the rage inducing nature of this game. seriously, this game is pissing me off more than any game in recent memory has.

still a cool game but if i wasnt such a level headed guy i definitely would have broken things by now.

Ah_Pook on
  • The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It took a lot longer than I thought it would, but I finally got in the zone for drifting in this game. It's amazing just how much more of a delicate hand you need compared to drifting in Split/Second. They're both a lot of fun, but S/S has to be by far the more accessible.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
    edited February 2011
    Drifting was more of a deterrent in Split/Second especially on the later episodes. Here it feels like a good strategy when hitting a long bend. The Lambo LP560-4 Reventon time trial definitely makes this point apparent.

Shady3011 on
    edited February 2011
    I fucking hate that motherfucking time trial.

Warcry on
    edited February 2011
    Ugh, I'm going to have NFS: Hot Pursuit dreams tonight...

I booted it up today about 9pm to do a quick race or two, and when I got to the Online Pass login screen (since I don't have the online pass), instead of hitting SKIP I accidentally hit ACTIVATE 2 DAY TRIAL. Crap. So then my 48 hour window to earn all the online trophies unexpectedly started. Thankfully, there aren't too many that you need the online pass for, only 5. Played more than 3 hours straight (I never do that)... I've done the 10 races, I've done about 15 of the 20 Interceptor races, and about 6 of the 20 Hot Pursuits.

I'll be on again tomorrow if anyone wants to join me.

bficky on
    PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
    edited February 2011
    finally got the platinum in this thing today. now just have to finish out the racer events from the super sports pack to get 100% (however temporary it might be). i think i might sell this game after doing that, the anger/enjoyment ratio is all fucked up for me.

Ah_Pook on
    edited March 2011
    I platinumed Hot Pursuit yesterday. My last race, the 45 mile Seacrest County Tour one, was pretty awesome. It worked out to where I'd get to level 20, my last gold medal, and the platinum if I finished in first place. I crossed the finishline with damage critical less than a second ahead of second place.

Somehow I avoided the frustration with this game. Compared to Pacific Rift, finishing HP was challenging but not anger inducing.

Now that I'm done with Hot Pursuit, I need a new arcade racer. Any recommendations? I've played Burnout Paradise and both Motorstorm games. I tried Split/Second, but the demo seemed boring (then again, I didn't like the HP and Burnout Paradise demos either, so I don't know if racer demos can be trusted).

bficky on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The new motorstorm is out soonish.

LewieP on
    edited March 2011
    I wouldn't recommend Split/Second if you plan to platinum it. The single player starts out fine, but then the rubber band AI gets way to cheap to be fun. Non-race events in later parts are still fun except for time trials, which are even more demanding than any of the ones in Hot Pursuit. Still, it is a neat take on the arcade racer if one that is flawed.

Shady3011 on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I rented this game from Gamefly. Played it for about 4 hours then sent it back.

The thing is: the hot pursuit portions of the game were absolutely the most fun I've had in a racing game since Burnout: Revenge. Unfortunately there weren't nearly enough of them. After you play an awesome hot pursuit map, then you get stuck doing the time trials (which are my least favorite thing in the world). The 1v1 car chases were annoying because right when you're about to get them, they do a U-turn and go the other way...

I dunno. I was hoping for more of an arcade racer. The turning and movement didn't feel nearly arcadey enough for me.

urahonky on
    edited March 2011
    NFS has never been full on arcadey but this is probably the best it has felt since Most Wanted. Still, it's not as hectic as Burnout since that only happens here with Hot Pursuits or Gauntlets.

Shady3011 on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah you're right. But I saw Criterion on the cover and had my hopes raised. Plus I thought the demo was fun... But that's because it was a Hot Pursuit level. :P

urahonky on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Speaking of demos, way to sell me on the game, EA. The demo was a timed thing in that it no longer worked once the game was out.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Out of nowhere question. I haven't played a NFS game since Underground, and I really loved the customization of that game (in the sense of how your ride looked and all). Do any of the new games have this?

ringswraith on
    edited April 2011
    Out of nowhere question. I haven't played a NFS game since Underground, and I really loved the customization of that game (in the sense of how your ride looked and all). Do any of the new games have this?

I can't speak for any NFS game other than Hot Pursuit, but HP has basically no customization at all. You can pick the color of your car... that's it. It's much more like a Burnout game than the old NFS games.

bficky on
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    bficky wrote: »

I can't speak for any NFS game other than Hot Pursuit, but HP has basically no customization at all. You can pick the color of your car... that's it. It's much more like a Burnout game than the old NFS games.

This is why I didn't get it. I like Burnout and NFS, but not together. That's why I bought it for a friend for christmas instead of for myself.

Shit. I need to remember to give him that game next time I see him.

LaPuzza on
  • The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    I hadn't played this in a few months and was struck by two things:

• This game is a blast; why did I stop playing it?

• EA really, really wants me to buy the DLC. :-|

valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam