As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Marvel Solicits for June 2011

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Graphic Violence
Full solicits finally up here

Spider-Girl cancelled with #8.

Frank Tieri is writing/co-writing Thunderbolts #159, WTF.

Cap Corps actually looks good though:
CAPTAIN AMERICA CORPS #1 (of 5)
Written by ROGER STERN
Penciled by PHILIPPE BRIONES
Cover by PHIL JIMENEZ
A mysterious Cosmic Entity has recruited five brave patriots for the ultimate commando mission. Their names are legend: The U.S. Agent, American Dream, Commander A, Captain America, and … Captain America?! But what threat is so grave that two Captain Americas are needed? Who will lead the team? Can even these mighty heroes save our nation — and the world — in time? And what is the AmeriCommand? New York Times best-selling author Roger Stern (AMAZING SPIDER-MAN) joins forces with artist Phillipe Briones (AMERICAN SON) to provide the answers!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$2.99

That 15 Love tennis comic from the Jemas era is finally being published.

And Marvel Universe vs. Wolverine starts, but Parlov isn't the artist:
MARVEL UNIVERSE
VS. WOLVERINE #1 (of 4)
Written by Jonathan Maberry
Penciled by Laurence Campbell
Cover by Michael kaluta
Last year The Marvel Universe vs the Punisher showed you the ruins of our world. Now witness the fall. NY Times bestseller Jonathan Maberry reveals the dark and terrible events that take us from the outbreak of a deadly plague to the beginning of the last war for planet earth. A dreadful disease begins transforming everyone –human and superhuman—into savage, nearly mindless cannibal predators. Who will protect humanity? Who will make a stand against the endless slaughter? Who has the courage to make the hardest of hard choices? One word: SNIKT!
32 PGS./Parental Advisory …$3.99

TexiKen on

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yet, again:
    Herc is fighting a kraken in the subway system

This is wonderful!

Also, Planet Red Hulk? Yes please!

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So like the thematic mirroring of Captain America and Batman is deliberate, now?

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited March 2011
    Not...really?

Batman Inc is a line-wide change. Captain America Corps is an alternate universe miniseries.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Link's dead

MastaP on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Majorspoilers.com pulled it I guess, Futtbucker posted it in the news thread and it was working around 2pm honest and true!

Why is no other site putting the solicits up yet....

TexiKen on
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Not...really?

Batman Inc is a line-wide change. Captain America Corps is an alternate universe miniseries.

Ah, okay, didn't realize it was an alternate universe dealie. I mean, still, kind of, but I see your point.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    noooooooooooo

Furu on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Why's everybody hate Frank Tieri? He wrote a good book. That one time.

Hensler on
    edited March 2011
    And mediocre to bad books. All of the other times.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What the hell

These aren't anywhere.

Then again, Marvel Solicits are on Tuesdays sometimes, right?

HadjiQuest on
    edited March 2011
    Delayed due to C2E2

Probably be up for real tomorrow

Furu on
    edited March 2011
    For when they were visible, the "I am Captain America" covers are pretty damn cool. Norman Rockwell-esque all-american covers with people "being" Cap.

My favorite was a Skottie Young one with a little kid protecting his friend from a bully with a trash can lid painted like Cap's shield.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited March 2011
    I remember back when everyone thought Roger Stern was Jim Shooter's pen name. I don't really like the Cap issues he's written before, but the description of Captain America Corps sounds really good (US AGENT FTW). And he's written some good Avenger's stories, so Corps should be some fun, retro-styled patriotic action. Bonus points if he brings in some of the more obscure super soldiers, like Protocide.

Hensler on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Furu put down that rope, you have so much to live for

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Furu put down that rope, you have so much to live for

shut up

Antimatter on
    edited March 2011
    Hensler wrote: »
    I remember back when everyone thought Roger Stern was Jim Shooter's pen name. I don't really like the Cap issues he's written before

Really? Because his Cap run, at least to me, was the best Cap run.
    capwarremember_premhcvar_02.jpg

MastaP on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    He is way too happy on that pit.

I... really wish I wasn't right about to go to sleep before seeing that.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited March 2011
    Full Solicits back up again.

Ghost Rider 0.1? Really, Marvel? A first issue isn't a good enough jumping on point?

edit: on the TPB side, Dan Jurgens Cap run starts to get collected, and a Thunderstrike TPB shows up.

TexiKen on
    edited March 2011
    0 issues ain't a new thing

and oh hey look who is on the cover of Fear Itself 3, the issue that Fraction said would be the big shocking one

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

on the bright side:
    Herc looks like it will be blending the urban vigilante motif with mythological villains which is fantastic

It looks like the Frank Tieri on Thunderbolts thing is just for a special multi-story issue, which is a relief.

Planet Red Hulk? Yessssssssssss

Amazing Spider-Man is using both Anti-Venom and Mister Negative, both of which are great characters.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    0 issues ain't a new thing

and oh hey look who is on the cover of Fear Itself 3, the issue that Fraction said would be the big shocking one

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

on the bright side:
    Herc looks like it will be blending the urban vigilante motif with mythological villains which is fantastic

It looks like the Frank Tieri on Thunderbolts thing is just for a special multi-story issue, which is a relief.

Planet Red Hulk? Yessssssssssss

Amazing Spider-Man is using both Anti-Venom and Mister Negative, both of which are great characters.

Someone's gonna die - could it be anyone besides Bucky? Remember in the Avengers when they said they felt bad for what was coming for him...

cardboard delusions on
    edited March 2011
    They didn't feel bad, they hated him. So he is probably going to turn evil and THEN die.

So yeah, bullshit.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Okay, that big Dark Tower hardcover sounds pretty nice. I might have to get that with my birthday money.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Can_CalyxCan_Calyx Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Okay, that big Dark Tower hardcover sounds pretty nice. I might have to get that with my birthday money.

I've been waiting four years for that. A bit disappointed that the extras are going to be in their own separate edition, likely priced higher, however.

Can_Calyx on
    Those Days Different.
    edited March 2011
    MastaP wrote: »
    I remember back when everyone thought Roger Stern was Jim Shooter's pen name. I don't really like the Cap issues he's written before

Really? Because his Cap run, at least to me, was the best Cap run.
    capwarremember_premhcvar_02.jpg

Interesting concepts in that one, badly implemented. But I have it in floppies and haven't read it in years - I think that hardcover would look nice on my bookshelf.

Hensler on
    edited March 2011
    Maybe Alpha Flight and Journey into mystery
    Cletus Kasady is back in the Carnage symbiote and deadlier than ever!
    Sorry Zeb Wells, but I just do not want to read that.

MastaP on
    edited March 2011
    MastaP wrote: »
    Maybe Alpha Flight and Journey into mystery
    Cletus Kasady is back in the Carnage symbiote and deadlier than ever!
    Sorry Zeb Wells, but I just do not want to read that.

I haven't been reading Carnage (even though it has some great looking covers) but how the hell do they explain Cassidy being alive? Sentry tore him in half in outer space and threw him in the sun. I know it's comics, so anything is possible, but I want to hear this one. And more importantly, will the same explanation let them bring back Ares soon?

Hensler on
    edited March 2011
    They haven't explained it yet.

Also pfft of course Anya gets repowered in the Spider-Girl finale. Of course.

Furu on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Can_Calyx wrote: »
    wwtMask wrote: »

I've been waiting four years for that. A bit disappointed that the extras are going to be in their own separate edition, likely priced higher, however.

It looks like all the extra back matter from the singles is being collected in the book:
    Chock full of essential short stories, bonus material and apocrypha, this volume is a must-read for Stephen King enthusiasts. Three guidebooks overseen by Dark Tower: A Concordance author Robin Furth unlock the many secrets of Roland Deschain, the Gunslingers, Gilead and the dark forces of Farson — bringing readers greater insight into the people, places and things of Mid-World. And supplemental material from the first thirty issues of Marvel’s Dark Tower series shed even more light on King’s epic — with short stories by Furth, and a tour through artists Jae Lee and Richard Isanove’s sketchbooks, and more! Collecting DARK TOWER: GUNSLINGER’S GUIDEBOOK, END-WORLD ALMANAC and GUIDE TO GILEAD; MARVEL SPOTLIGHT: DARK TOWER; and material from DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER BORN #1-7, THE LONG ROAD HOME #1-5, TREACHERY #1-6, SORCERER #1, THE FALL OF GILEAD #1-6 and THE BATTLE OF JERICHO HILL #1-5.

EDIT: And it looks like I was reading the wrong solicitation. How the hell is the companion book 600 pages when the main book is only 296?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh, TLB ...
    NEWMUTV3026_Cov_Col.jpg

I don't like Djurdjevic's newer style.

Crimsondude on
    edited March 2011
    I don't think its a new style so much as him having to rush what with doing a billion covers recently

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited March 2011
    He doesn't even have a body anymore - how does that work? Nate, not Djurdevic - I assume he has a body.

Hensler on
    edited March 2011
    He does have a body. Read Dark X-Men.

Furu on
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Second Volume of SHIELD. Cool stuff.

Lots of Fear Itself stuff.

So many x-books and trades.

Just another month for Marvel, I guess. Anything that should be standing out? There's a lot of stuff I hope to be able to read in trade eventually, but man so much I'll never be able to afford it.

HadjiQuest on
    edited March 2011
    Cap Corps and Marvel Universe vs. Wolverine.

That Ka-Zar mini looks interesting but Paul Jenkins, just don't trust that guy's skills anymore.

TexiKen on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't think its a new style so much as him having to rush what with doing a billion covers recently

Egad. How on Earth did I not connect those two?

The pencillers for the Iron Age issues did good work on Ms. Marvel. But geez ... I don't know. I like these ad hoc team ideas, but the execution usually fall flat.

Crimsondude on
    edited March 2011
    Furu wrote: »
    He does have a body. Read Dark X-Men.

I did read it, I just don't understand why him getting knocked out in the psychic plane in the ending suddenly gave him a physical body again. They said repeatedly that he was just drifting psychic energy.

Hensler on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I haven't been reading Carnage (even though it has some great looking covers) but how the hell do they explain Cassidy being alive? Sentry tore him in half in outer space and threw him in the sun. I know it's comics, so anything is possible, but I want to hear this one. And more importantly, will the same explanation let them bring back Ares soon?

They have explained it, in fact.

He came back with a robotic lower torso.

Yes, I'm serious.
    His upper body, kept alive by the symbiote, crashed into the satellite for yet another unscrupulous mega-corporation, who retrieved them both. They used the symbiote to build prosthetic limbs, and gave a prosthetic lower torso to Cassidy.

Really hope Ares doesn't come back the same way.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I do
    two separate Ares

Antimatter on
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Symbiote Stuff:
    I spent most of my youth hating Carnage, just waiting for Venom to patiently eat him alive. Well, I think most of it stemmed from the fact that I was a Venom fanboy as a kid and it seemed like he was always getting his ass handed to him by Cletus.

I'm surprised how relieved and genuinely excited I was to see he was still alive in the last issue of Carnage.

I'd chalk that up to the fact we're not in the 90s anymore and theres a pretty good chance guys like Dan Slott and Zeb Wells can learn from those mistakes and actually move this character forward into a more entertaining psychopath.

If Rick Remender can make Jack O'Lantern seem kind of awesome, I'm willing to believe anything is possible at this point.

"great job taking my scariest bad guy, pulling him from Space and locking him in a sweatshop, he's coming by to say thanks."

-Spider-Man in Carnage #3

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I remember back when everyone thought Roger Stern was Jim Shooter's pen name. I don't really like the Cap issues he's written before, but the description of Captain America Corps sounds really good (US AGENT FTW). And he's written some good Avenger's stories, so Corps should be some fun, retro-styled patriotic action. Bonus points if he brings in some of the more obscure super soldiers, like Protocide.

If Jim Shooter hadn't been a fucking asshat, Roger Stern and John Byrne would have written/drawn the definitive CAPTAIN AMERICA run. But he was an asshat, so they only spent 7 issues on the book (all great stories - #247-#255).

Stern also wrote the hell out of the AVENGERS title back in the day.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg