As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

At World's End [Pirates3]

• RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    looks gay

Raneados on
  • UrianUrian __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    scorpius03.jpg

Urian on
  • Volucrisus AedriusVolucrisus Aedrius Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Pharezon wrote: »
    SoonerMan wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    Man the opening scene though

The guy reading off that due process and trial by jury and all that other stuff were done away with

All I could think of was that that "300 = Iraq" retard had to have been all over that scene

Wait, what? 300=Iraq?.... asplain

no, it's retarded

that was the point of what he was saying

that the comparison is illogical and retarded

basically you can't make a movie in the US right now that prominently figures war, government, or the oppression of people without some jackhole pinko making some kind of Bush allegory out of it

Well who the hell did? Are the Iraqis the fucking Spartans or what? That's just retarded. Bush is not Xerces...Bob Barker is.

I knew there was something fishy about Bob. I knew it.

Its not the whip they fear.

Volucrisus Aedrius on
  • DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    If this ain't a pirate, I don't know what is.

vlcsnap-10261718.png

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
  • ZetaZeta Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    so why is it jack needed the map to the fountain of youth? Couldn't he just have used his magical compass and be all like "yo duder i want to go to the fountain of youth" and know where to go? I'm thinking he just wanted to screw over barbossa, but maybe there was something i missed.

Zeta on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    needs to know what he wants before he can want it, i suppose

Orikaeshigitae on
  • StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    And it prevents others from getting to it.

Plus if there's something in your way I don't know if the compass has proper "pathing" abilities. See: Shadow of the Colossus.

Strato on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    And we all know how reliable that compass has been for Captain Crazy-face.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Zeta wrote: »
    so why is it jack needed the map to the fountain of youth? Couldn't he just have used his magical compass and be all like "yo duder i want to go to the fountain of youth" and know where to go? I'm thinking he just wanted to screw over barbossa, but maybe there was something i missed.

Jack will always want, now and forever, first Rum, then second, the Black Pearl.

At the end of the movie, the compass was pointing to the Pearl, not the fountain.

But, he also wants the fountain. Hence, he needed the map.

Transporter on
  • SoonerManSoonerMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Someone on a facebook group said, "Yeah I had no clue what happened with the Kraken either. Does anyone know?

So, am I the only one that stayed till after the credits were done to watch the last little scene at the end? [I won't spoil it unless you want me to.]

And yeah, there's probably gonna be a fourth... But I think they should try it as a primetime TV show (like House, Grey's, etc.)... Some movies (Shrek, PotC, live-action Spidey) could probably be realy cool like that."

I accidentally dignified it with a response... but... crap.

SoonerMan on
    Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma~! O-K-U!
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Someone on a facebook group said, "Yeah I had no clue what happened with the Kraken either. Does anyone know?

So, am I the only one that stayed till after the credits were done to watch the last little scene at the end? [I won't spoil it unless you want me to.]

And yeah, there's probably gonna be a fourth... But I think they should try it as a primetime TV show (like House, Grey's, etc.)... Some movies (Shrek, PotC, live-action Spidey) could probably be realy cool like that."

I accidentally dignified it with a response... but... crap.

I forgot to sit for it. Please PM me.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited June 2007
    Oh, I didn't write the part in brackets but..
    A kid is running through a field, Elizabeth comes behind him and puts her hands on his shoulders and then we see the Dutchman come afloat and the green light shit happens. So apparently Will is back for good due to a deleted scene where we find out if Calypso had remained faithful to Jones for 10 years, Jones could have come back.

SoonerMan on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oh, I didn't write the part in brackets but..
    A kid is running through a field, Elizabeth comes behind him and puts her hands on his shoulders and then we see the Dutchman come afloat and the green light shit happens. So apparently Will is back for good due to a deleted scene where we find out if Calypso had remained faithful to Jones for 10 years, Jones could have come back.
    There's really no verification of that. 99% of the people who see that scene won't know about the supposed deleted scene and will assume that she's just introducing Will to his son and that after that day he'll be gone another 10 years. It's more depressing...but it's also more meaningful IMO.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited June 2007
    There is nothing preventing them from going out to sea to meet him, it is just that he is a busy guy and can't stick around for long. There is also nothing preventing him from anchoring somewhere off of a coast. He just can't set foot on land. After all, Davey Jones stayed within the restrictions by standing in a bucket of water.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited June 2007
    There is nothing preventing them from going out to sea to meet him, it is just that he is a busy guy and can't stick around for long. There is also nothing preventing him from anchoring somewhere off of a coast. He just can't set foot on land. After all, Davey Jones stayed within the restrictions by standing in a bucket of water.
    Yeah, that was one of the things I just assumed they purposefully ignored to not have to sit there and read the davey jones rulebook. There are a billion and one plot holes in this movie, but I don't let it detract from how much I enjoyed it. Sometimes a few dangling threads are better than being spoonfed every last drop of story. Lets you think and discuss it later.

The Dude With Herpes on

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. What exactly prevents her from going out to see him from to time?

Hell, even if they don't want to meet on the Dutchman, Will can board other boats and shit.

TheySlashThem on
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. What exactly prevents her from going out to see him from to time?

Hell, even if they don't want to meet on the Dutchman, Will can board other boats and shit.

My take:
    Jones was neglecting his duty, whereas Will is staying pure by doing his job of ferrying people to the other side. This does not give him time to sail around wherever and bang his wife.

He gets a day off every 10 years.

Strato on
    edited June 2007

That may be, but Will has the same obligations that Davey Jones decided to neglect. He has to ferry the souls to the place where Jack was (never got the crabs.) You remember the scene where they're going back to this world and they see Elizabeth's dad in the boat? He's supposed to be guiding them. It's not like Will is just out on the boat with his dad drinking rum all the time.

Also King: What plot holes? One thing I loved about these movies is that it all seemed to wrap up in the end. I don't think it's a plot hole that Jones was standing in the bucket of water, but he cannot touch land. He wasn't touching land, he was simply on land, but still in water.

SoonerMan on
    edited June 2007

That may be, but Will has the same obligations that Davey Jones decided to neglect. He has to ferry the souls to the place where Jack was (never got the crabs.) You remember the scene where they're going back to this world and they see Elizabeth's dad in the boat? He's supposed to be guiding them. It's not like Will is just out on the boat with his dad drinking rum all the time.

Also King: What plot holes? One thing I loved about these movies is that it all seemed to wrap up in the end. I don't think it's a plot hole that Jones was standing in the bucket of water, but he cannot touch land. He wasn't touching land, he was simply on land, but still in water.
    The bucket thing was a farce and you know it.

Oh look... my boots are wet, with water... now I can leave the sea whenever.

But it's not like it let him do anything other than stand in that scene, so who cares?

Strato on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    I wonder what would have happened if someone had just pushed and tipped him over. Would he turn to dust or something for touching land?

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
    edited June 2007
    Strato wrote: »

But it's not like it let him do anything other than stand in that scene, so who cares?
    I actually would have liked to have seen what happened if he did in fact touch land.

The Dude With Herpes on

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

I didn't have problem with that scene. As far as I'm concerned, the whole series is farce.

TheySlashThem on
    edited June 2007

It wasn't THAT simple. He couldn't just be damp, I mean he actually had to be submersed a bit... but... oh ok. I see what you mean. They could have put a wooden plank there and still been ok... it worked for me, though.

SoonerMan on
    edited June 2007
    I think you all are perhaps attributing more hardship on this "job" than required. After all, he only has to ferry those who die at sea. Those who die on land are not his responsibility. And even back then, I don't think a ship sank every day.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Regarding the Kraken:
    It does suck that they didn't show what happened to it, but is it really a far reach that the HMS Dauntless blew the shit out of it. The Black Pearl isn't exactly a powerhouse, while the Dauntless has three decks filled with cannons. In addition, they could have simply commanded Davy Jones to rise the kraken and order it to sit there while they killed it.

Faricazy on
    edited June 2007
    I think you all are perhaps attributing more hardship on this "job" than required. After all, he only has to ferry those who die at sea. Those who die on land are not his responsibility. And even back then, I don't think a ship sank every day.
    Maybe he has to ferry the fishies too. OOOhhh, or maybe all the underwater atlantean civilizations that we don't know about. that could add up to quite a few people. :P

And with that I'm off to Toys R Us to check out their stock of Transformers Movie toys. Despite my reservations about the movie and how good it may or may not be, the toys are pretty cool and I needs me some. 8-)

The Dude With Herpes on

• FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY WAS PRETTY GOOD WHILE THEY LASTEDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Didn't Beckett command Davy Jones to kill his pet Kraken?

I really wished they would have included it in the third movie more, but at least they showed us the corpse and didn't just try to sweep it under the mat

Fallout on
    xcomsig.png
    edited June 2007
    And you might to be giving it enough. I mean it's not like some job where if you finish what you need to, you get to browse the internet and message your girlfriend on myspace.

Dead Capt: hey

Pirate KING: hi :)

Dead Capt: wnt 2 ciber?

Pirate KING: k

SoonerMan on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fallout wrote: »
    Didn't Beckett command Davy Jones to kill his pet Kraken?

I really wished they would have included it in the third movie more, but at least they showed us the corpse and didn't just try to sweep it under the mat

yes, I think that was pretty obvious. anyone who missed that must've been sleeping through the movie

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited June 2007
    All this old ship stuff is pretty fascinating. The British were the first to build 100+ gun ships, but they were top-heavy and needed to be renovated occasionally. The french had the first 120 (118 I think) gun ship. Daaamn.

Faricazy on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    yes, the british were the first (europeans at least) to come up with the idea of putting siege guns on a ship. also because of this they needed a way to make cheaper cannons than their bronze ones. thus the cast iron cannon and the blast furnace were invented.

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited June 2007
    And you might to be giving it enough. I mean it's not like some job where if you finish what you need to, you get to browse the internet and message your girlfriend on myspace.

I disagree. Look how much time the crew of the Dutchman spent slacking off, and how much time Jones spend playing his organ. Granted, they weren't doing their jobs, but it wasn't that big a job.

Jones stopped doing it not because it was too much work, but rather to give Calypso the bird.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited June 2007
    I think the argument is that he becomes sort of a mythical figure bound to a job. I mean, is Santa Claus boozing it up the rest of the year when he's not working? Do Charon and Death head to the strip clubs on "light" days, or "work late" after a bloody battle occurs? It's not so literal.

Strato on
    edited June 2007

I disagree. Look how much time the crew of the Dutchman spent slacking off, and how much time Jones spend playing his organ. Granted, they weren't doing their jobs, but it wasn't that big a job.

Jones stopped doing it not because it was too much work, but rather to give Calypso the bird.
    He quit doing it because she fucked him over. Guy was bitter about it.

He spent his time playing the organ and the crew dicked around because they didn't have a job to do. They were just pirates not doing shit.

SoonerMan on
    edited June 2007

That is the dumbest logic ever.
    THE DUDE NOT DOING HIS JOB HAS MORE FREE TIME THAN THE DUDE WHO IS. WHAT A LEAP OF FAITH MAAAAN.

Faricazy on
    edited June 2007
    I think the argument is that he becomes sort of a mythical figure bound to a job. I mean, is Santa Claus boozing it up the rest of the year when he's not working? Do Charon and Death head to the strip clubs on "light" days, or "work late" after a bloody battle occurs? It's not so literal.
    To use Death as an example, and Piers Anthony as a reference: Even Death gets the occasional day off to catch up with the lady friend. And not one every 10 years, either.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited June 2007
    I believe I made that point myself guys.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited June 2007
    Okay look why don't you go write your own pirate trilogy, eh?

Faricazy on
    edited June 2007
    Bri what the hell are you on?

SoonerMan on
    edited June 2007
    I am high on life.:roll:

Just_Bri_Thanks on
This discussion has been closed.