As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Boston Game Night - July Edition - Tuesday, July 29th - Khadour's Last Stand

KhadourKhadour Dinosaur CupcakeHillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
edited June 2014 in PAX General Discussion
Game night Tuesday, July 29th, 2014 at J.J. Foley's at 21 Kingston St., Boston, MA (please note that there is more than one J. J. Foley's - we are at the one on Kingston St.). Official start time is 6:30PM, but if you're earlier, no biggie. We'll be in the back room. If you're early, claim tables! Bring games if you want, and bring $$$ for Child's Play if you want. It's a bar and grill, so plan accordingly - money for food and drink (if you want any), and appropriate transportation if you're going to drink that much. . .

Please note that this will be Khadour's last time organizing the game night before he moves to Portland, OR. Come on down and have a drink and play a game with him :)

FaceBook event here.
PAX community calendar event here.

Note that this will now be a monthly gathering on the last Tuesday of each month.

Original post:
To those of you in the Boston area - anyone up for another gaming night down at J.J. Foley's?

Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
xWDsUaZ.png
jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

Khadour on

• gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd be up for this!

gigabrain on
    fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    God, if I wasn't flat broke and dead from grad school I'd be so down.

Lucid_Seraph on
    See You Space Cowboy: a ttrpg about sad space bounty hunters
    https://podcast.tidalwavegames.com/
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I echo the "flat broke" sentiment. I had a lot of fun that night and thought about setting up a repeat myself, but I need some time to monetarily recover. If this were to happen about a month out, I'd be much more likely to attend.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • slamonellaslamonella Clue-by-Four Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Definitely!

slamonella on
    Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever,
    but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
  • jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm up for doing whatever with you guys whenever you want, just let me know and I can help make something happen. <3

juju on
    PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
  • kitties_on_acidkitties_on_acid Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm definitely interested.

kitties_on_acid on
  • GrimRupertGrimRupert Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    How about making this a generic Post-PAXum depression thread? I'd love to try and get in touch with PAXers in the Philly/Delaware/South Jersey area, but don't think it warrants a completely separate thread.

GrimRupert on
    I'm a website!
    PAX East 2014 Checklist:
    [X] - Pre-registered | [ ] - Train tickets | [ ] - Time Off
  • TheRobotGuyTheRobotGuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If I wasn't in NH, I would.

TheRobotGuy on
    Fuck You Bottle is the name of my Jonathan Coulton cover band.
  • LordGimmikLordGimmik Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Khadour wrote: »
    To those of you in the Boston area - anyone up for another gaming night down at J.J. Foley's?

Can you tell me a little about this event? I didn't attend the first one but I'm always up for a good game night. From some of the comments I gather this event tends to be expensive?

LordGimmik on
    edited March 2011

Why wouldn't you come from Manchester? That's close to where I live and I'll likely attend. If you don't want to drive, look up the Boston Express bus. I know there's one from Nashua and there may be one from Manchester too. It drops off in South Station.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    GrimRupert wrote: »
    How about making this a generic Post-PAXum depression thread? I'd love to try and get in touch with PAXers in the Philly/Delaware/South Jersey area, but don't think it warrants a completely separate thread.

I think things would probably get a little crowded and confused if we had multiple meet-ups in different cities going on in here - it would probably be better to start a different thread for a meetup in your area. I generally post these with the city/area as the first thing in the title, which helps avoid confusion.

Khadour on
    Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

edited March 2011
    LordGimmik wrote: »
    Khadour wrote: »

Can you tell me a little about this event? I didn't attend the first one but I'm always up for a good game night. From some of the comments I gather this event tends to be expensive?

Not much to it - we took over the back room at J.J. Foley's, played games, drank drinks, and ate bar food. It's only as expensive as you want it to be - the games are free, but the food and drink definitely aren't. They're not stupid expensive, but they add up if you tend to drink all night . . . on the other hand, if you're wanting to conserve money, some of us have some drinks, which should make us easier to beat by the end of the night! ;-)

Khadour on
    xWDsUaZ.png

edited March 2011
    punzie wrote: »

I echo the "flat broke" sentiment. I had a lot of fun that night and thought about setting up a repeat myself, but I need some time to monetarily recover. If this were to happen about a month out, I'd be much more likely to attend.

Nothing to prevent us from doing one now, and another in a month or so! On the other hand, this is the Internet, and it usually takes a month to get something to happen anyway . . .

Khadour on
    xWDsUaZ.png

• MxWoodMxWood Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am sure I would show up, I have never played settlers of catan even though I own it so I totally need to find people to play it with.

MxWood on
  • acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I would be down for this, just not sure when I'd be available.

acumen101 on
    Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

• MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I would totally come to this. I'm over in Allston / Brighton.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
    edited March 2011

Why wouldn't you come from Manchester? That's close to where I live and I'll likely attend. If you don't want to drive, look up the Boston Express bus. I know there's one from Nashua and there may be one from Manchester too. It drops off in South Station.

The last bus back leaves at 8PM, and I wouldn't have a place to sleep. I also work nights, so I wouldn't be able to go if it were on a Friday night. I'm also trying to save up for a car.

TheRobotGuy on
  • xhakuxhaku Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    This needs to happen again. I'd definitely go

xhaku on
    edited March 2011
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I would totally come to this. I'm over in Allston / Brighton.

Did you come to the last one? It was straight up ballin'.

We had a lot of people show up to Foley's because I suggested it as an alternative to gaming at the Westin (because honestly we had all weekend to doing that).

189145_10100122432436220_909051_53402615_8214329_n.jpg

It was pretty fun :) The bar staff was happy we showed up.

juju on
    [E]
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was thinking this exact same thing actually ...

I should be able to make it more or less whenever, assuming I have some notice :)

arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • olleeollee OhioRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Yeah if I was in NH i would totally, however UT kinda knocks these thoughts out of my mind.

ollee on
    <Long Time Lurker, Perpetual First Time Poster>

http://www.team9000.net/
    edited March 2011
    ollee wrote: »

Yeah if I was in NH i would totally, however UT kinda knocks these thoughts out of my mind.

I need a car, though. Leaving before 8 to catch the bus home wouldn't be any fun.

TheRobotGuy on
    edited March 2011
    Alright, so it sounds like there's enough support for this - when do we want to do it? Tuesday night again? Some other weeknight? I'm assuming Friday/Saturday are probably bad, since they'll have more of the regular drinking client base there . . . juju, you're our resident J.J. Foley's expert - what nights are good for this?

Khadour on
    xWDsUaZ.png

edited March 2011
    M/Tu/W works out really well :) When did you guys wanna hang? How soon?

juju on
    [E]
    edited March 2011
    Tuesday nights are generally good for me. Sounds like some would like a bit of notice, so tonight's probably out. How about next Tuesday?

Khadour on
    xWDsUaZ.png

edited March 2011
    Next Tuesday works for me.

slamonella on
    but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm good on next tuesday

gigabrain on
    fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • plainoldconnorplainoldconnor Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Would underage (18 in my case) be permitted to an event like this? I'd love to do some gaming to keep that PAX-feeling going. :3

plainoldconnor on
  • D Versus AD Versus A Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am also in support of this idea.

D Versus A on
    Friend: Wow..what happened to him?
    Me: He dun goofed.
    Friend: .........What?
  • LordGimmikLordGimmik Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I could make it by 7ish on Tuesday. I don't get out of work until 5:30. How do we figure out who is bringing what games?

Also - What are the general rules about food and spiritus beverages on the gaming tables? One sweeping hand motion and it's bye bye $70 euro-game.

LordGimmik on
    edited March 2011
    We're all ostensibly adults here. If you befuck someone's game with drunken gesticulations, you would likely be expected to step up and produce some manner of recompense. I know I would.

slamonella on
    edited March 2011
    FB event created here. Also, if you're not already a member, consider joining the Boston-area PAXers group here.

While I personally would welcome the underage, I don't think J.J. Foley's liquor license would welcome you. They may have different rules since they are also a restaurant, but I'm really not up enough on the Boston legal code to say if that would get you a hall pass or not - best to check with them, or somebody else more knowledgeable than I.

As to food & beverage on the table of play, it wasn't too much of an issue last time. Many of the tables in the back room are up against a dividing wall, which make for a convenient place to put drinks while playing. I'd say this can be agreed on at a table-by-table basis on the desires of the owner of the game. Wheaton's Law is, of course, in effect - if the owner doesn't want you drinking or eating greasy food near his/her game, don't be a dick about it.

I put a 7PM start time on the event, since that's about the earliest that I can make it, but I will happily move it up if others will be arriving earlier.

Think that about covers it - see you all next Tuesday!

Khadour on
    xWDsUaZ.png

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Can't go this time, the combo of PAX and moving depleted my wallet a bit. I'd definitely like to attend one of these in the future though.

Lindsay Lohan on
    edited March 2011
    Since you're not the only one in this boat, I'm sure there will be another gathering a month or so from now.

Khadour on
    xWDsUaZ.png

• burnttoast45burnttoast45 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hope to make it, but unfortunately no promises since I move soon. But have an amazing time and take pictures if I can't make it!

burnttoast45 on
  • trinistandtrinistand Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Next tuesday is actually perfect. I'll be in South Boston for a work convention anyway so stopping by JJ Foley's after is a no brainer. I'll most likely be public trans in so the games I'll have may be limited.

trinistand on
    edited March 2011
    I want to come play, but I'm not sure I can. I'll try!

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • septagonseptagon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sounds like a fun night, count me in!

septagon on
    edited March 2011
    I want to come play, but I'm not sure I can. I'll try!

Don't sweat it, punzie - we'll do another one in a month or so. If you can make it this time, great, but if not, there's always next time . . .

Khadour on
    xWDsUaZ.png

• Susan69Susan69 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Are new people invited to this?? I didn't go to the first one or anything, but I live in Brookline and this sounds like fun!

Susan69 on