As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

At World's End [Pirates3]

1333435363739»

• TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    SoonerMan wrote: »
    I think you all are perhaps attributing more hardship on this "job" than required. After all, he only has to ferry those who die at sea. Those who die on land are not his responsibility. And even back then, I don't think a ship sank every day.
    And you might to be giving it enough. I mean it's not like some job where if you finish what you need to, you get to browse the internet and message your girlfriend on myspace.

Dead Capt: hey

Pirate KING: hi :)

Dead Capt: wnt 2 ciber?

Pirate KING: k
    I disagree. Look how much time the crew of the Dutchman spent slacking off, and how much time Jones spend playing his organ. Granted, they weren't doing their jobs, but it wasn't that big a job.

Jones stopped doing it not because it was too much work, but rather to give Calypso the bird.

You know all those body's that they saw? Floating in the water in that limbo ocean place?

That's what will eventually happen to those Davy Jones dosen't ferry to their final resting place. It's actually a pretty fucking big job.

However, you are right that he stopped doing it to give Calypso the bird.

Transporter on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    I think you all are perhaps attributing more hardship on this "job" than required. After all, he only has to ferry those who die at sea. Those who die on land are not his responsibility. And even back then, I don't think a ship sank every day.
    And you might to be giving it enough. I mean it's not like some job where if you finish what you need to, you get to browse the internet and message your girlfriend on myspace.

I disagree. Look how much time the crew of the Dutchman spent slacking off, and how much time Jones spend playing his organ. Granted, they weren't doing their jobs, but it wasn't that big a job.

Jones stopped doing it not because it was too much work, but rather to give Calypso the bird.

You know all those body's that they saw? Floating in the water in that limbo ocean place?

That's what will eventually happen to those Davy Jones dosen't ferry to their final resting place. It's actually a pretty fucking big job.

Yes, but those had been piling up for years.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • StratoStrato Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Strato wrote: »
    I think the argument is that he becomes sort of a mythical figure bound to a job. I mean, is Santa Claus boozing it up the rest of the year when he's not working? Do Charon and Death head to the strip clubs on "light" days, or "work late" after a bloody battle occurs? It's not so literal.
    To use Death as an example, and Piers Anthony as a reference: Even Death gets the occasional day off to catch up with the lady friend. And not one every 10 years, either.
    The whole point of the 10 years thing is to prove faithfulness and purity during that time. That's part of the Davy Jones mythos. At least in general. I will have to watch the last two movies again before I have the details down.

Strato on
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

How do you even know that?

Faricazy on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Faricazy wrote: »

Um...they made that abundantly clear in the movie.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Faricazy wrote: »

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You guys, it honestly isn't that important, because it was all pretty ridiculous in the end.

I mean, stone crabs? What was that.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
    edited June 2007
    there could have been a lot more boats than what we saw

Faricazy on
    edited June 2007
    Queue: Serious Business.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited June 2007
    srsizzy wrote: »
    You guys, it honestly isn't that important, because it was all pretty ridiculous in the end.

calypso

Faricazy on
    edited June 2007

It was the Pirates version of the emo-Peter music number in SM3. Totally out of place, but refreshingly so.

Strato on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Look, the whole point of the whole POTC Davy Jones mythos is a man falling in love with a god.

God's are immortal, never die, blah blah blah, but Davy and Calypso fell in love anyway.

Of course, people die, so, they were both like, "Fuck, what the fuck are we gonna do".

Calypso then has the bright idea to have him ferry the souls of the dead that die "within" her, to their final resting place.

This job makes him immortal. However, as the main POTC theme, immortality always has a price. His was to be only capable of going ashore One day every ten years.

Davy says "Oh fuck yes why the hell not I AM FUCKING A GOD". Ferries people for ten years, goes ashore that ONE day, and waits paitently for her. Oh hey, she dosen't show. Davy gets pissed. Attends the first ever Pirate king meeting, and tells them how to seal her in a human body. And then he says "Fuck this job" and goes collectin souls.

People died pretty much every day at sea in the 1700's. Boats wern't worth two bags of shit then. So it was pretty much a job that he had to constantly do for eternity. That was the price he paid for immortality(And fuckin a god).

Transporter on
    edited June 2007
    Look, the whole point of the whole POTC Davy Jones mythos is a man falling in love with a god.

God's are immortal, never die, blah blah blah, but Davy and Calypso fell in love anyway.

Oh course, people die, so, they were both like, "Fuck, what the fuck are we gonna do".

Calypso then has the bright idea to have him ferry the souls of the dead that die "within" her, to their final resting place.

This job makes him immortal. However, as the main POTC theme, immortality always has a price. His was to be only capable of going ashore One day every ten years.

Davy says "Oh fuck yes why the hell not I AM FUCKING A GOD". Ferries people for ten years, goes ashore that ONE day, and waits paitently for her. Oh hey, she dosen't show. Davy gets pissed. Attends the first ever Pirate king meeting, and tells them how to seal her in a human body. And then he says "Fuck this job" and goes collectin souls.

People died pretty much every day at sea in the 1700's. Boats wern't worth two bags of shit then. So it was pretty much a job that he had to constantly do for eternity. That was the price he paid for immortality(And fuckin a god).
    And this brings us to a tragic element similar to Arwen/Aragorn in LOTR... that Will is immortal and his wife not. The end of that tale is for another day, I suppose, but the tidbit we got after the credits was worth a lot, particularly with the child carrying on their spirit.

Strato on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    if there are sequels will better not be in them

Orikaeshigitae on
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What happened after the credits? My friends made me leave.

srsizzy on
    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
    edited June 2007
    fuck your friends

i made mine stay

Faricazy on
    edited June 2007

Check the first spoiler after I asked that same question.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    edited June 2007
    "10 years later..." We see Elizabeth with long hair and a child about 9 on a rock overlooking the beach. The child is wearing a kid's pirate outfit and playing around with a toy sword. They watch the sun rise over the ocean and we see a closeup of Elizabeth's face as it reflects a green flash. We see a ship in the ocean coming to land, then a shot of pirate Will Turner hanging off the rigging, soaring across the water with a smile on his face.

Strato on
  • FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Keira Knightley doesn't age

Franko on
  • PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fallout wrote: »
    yes fag

so when are the Pirates movies supposed to take place anyways?

Masturbating to Asian chicks gets me called a fag? COOL! You know this has given me a craving for...
    FAGGOT_FAMILY.jpg

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • bychancebychance Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Knob wrote: »
    Dublo7 wrote: »
    When I was younger, I'd watch Xena, and I'd have these weird feelings. I didn't quite know what those feelings were back then.

I think I know what they are now though...

self-loathing? disgust?

Hey! Whats that supposed to mean? :x

[tries hard not to make it obvious how offensive it is to me]

bychance on
  • KovakKovak did a lot of drugs married cher?Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    it was totally not worth opening thisthread

Kovak on
  • MonkeybombMonkeybomb Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    :p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

Monkeybomb on
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Triplemonkeybom
    monkeysig-1.jpg
    edited August 2007
    someone click his sig and tell me, i'm at work

Faricazy on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited August 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2007
    it's a lucy lawless fansite

it's pretty nice

Garlic Bread on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2007
    I guess he bumped this thread

bychance!

it's obviously a girl

the title is "warrior princess"

Garlic Bread on
    edited August 2007
    does it have the lesbian pool scene

Faricazy on
    edited August 2007
    until like a year ago i thought lucy lawless was a lesbian

it wasn't like "oh, she's definitely a lesbo"

it was "i thought she came out a few years back"

Garlic Bread on
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited August 2007
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
    edited August 2007
    every episode of xena was mainly sexual innuendos

maybe not in the credits

Faricazy on
  • TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    holy christ this thread is old what the hell is it doing on the front page

TheySlashThem on
  • MonkeybombMonkeybomb Registered User regular
    edited August 2007