As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pokemon Thread XICV: Everyone Has Caught A Shiny But You (Page 1 NSF56K)

• drp527drp527 We sacrifice our own That more may rise in their placeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    SLyM wrote: »
    So I'm at the elite four with my highest level being my baby eagle who still needs 4 levels to evolve and everything else 47 or lower.

Exactly how fucked am I?

You're actually fine, it's possible to go through with 40-42 as your team levels, although that requires a ton more items

The Rufflet may not get much use though

drp527 on
    a1o1MZu.jpg
    Pokemon White FC: 2623 5026 2422 SS: 2150 9795 3738 Black: 4212 6128 9776
    Black2: 1593 2528 7190 3DS:0216-0910-3881 LoL:drp527
  • MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    so have we all gotten used to the fact that pokemon threads go on far more pages than they ought to, to the point where it is no longer a Big Deal

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
  • DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    only eight more pages until we beat the last one

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I love capitalizing the first letters of Specific Words to indicate that they are More Important than the others.

(Not mocking, I legitimately love doing that)

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • MizuumiMizuumi pet dog you've been eating my video game how could you eat my video gameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I love capitalizing the first letters of Specific Words to indicate that they are More Important than the others.

(Not mocking, I Legitimately Love doing that)

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
  • Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think I could take the e4 down right now except I have godawful type coverage on my team. Just gonna grind a bit because it's faster then leveling up a whole 'nother dude.

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
    edited March 2011
    fffff, modest liquid ooze tentacool with 31s in both Defense and Special Defense

hard to turn down but I really want that Calm bonus

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • CrowbawtCrowbawt Member of the Midnight Crew Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Naming Pokemon is the best part of the game for sure.

I'm not particularly good at it though.

Crowbawt on
    edited March 2011
    Mizuumi wrote: »

(Not mocking, I Legitimately Love doing that)

well isn't that basically what they did back in the olden days

except almost Every Noun was Particularly Important

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    fffff, modest liquid ooze tentacool with 31s in both Defense and Special Defense

why are you doing this to youself

unintentional on
  • drp527drp527 We sacrifice our own That more may rise in their placeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am awful at nicknames

Wottson the Oshawott is legitimately the most creative thing I've ever come up with (also possibly the first time I've ever tried a nickname)

drp527 on
    a1o1MZu.jpg
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wait, you can do the elite four in any order?

That just seems really cool, even though it's honestly a really trivial change kinda.

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
    edited March 2011
    gary do you think I should go with that one or hold out for a calm one

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

use it as a parent

and then don't settle for one until you get a calm tentacool that receives both 31s

in other news I am dropping wigglytuff from my team. It's just too much work for too little payoff. I'm gonna use it once, lose catastrophically, and never touch it again.

I need to figure out that last slot though. The think I'm missing the most is special defense. My options are blissey (bleh), chansey (more bleh), togekiss (everyone else blehs), or Snorlax

so I guess Snorlax it is!

Speed Racer on
  • FreshnukixFreshnukix Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh that poor person.

Couldn't make it through my Vaporeon. I feel like such a jerk winning that way.

Freshnukix on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The elite 4 rooms in this are so amazing. They did a really excellent job with the visuals for B/W.

Cilla Black on
    edited March 2011
    just so long as it's a thick fat snorlax

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • CrowbawtCrowbawt Member of the Midnight Crew Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am trying to remember names I am particularly proud of and I can't really think of any.

Most of them are just nerdy references to things.

I guess I am fairly proud of Mr.Nibbles the Feraligatr, MrsNibbles the Krookodile, and SATAN the Clefable.

Crowbawt on
    edited March 2011
    gary do you think I should go with that one or hold out for a calm one

on a scale from one to a million how much weight does my opinion hold

unintentional on
    edited March 2011
    Ugh, the worst part about transferring a full team over as eggs to do a story run is trying to catch them up

Have to get 6 level 1s up to around 10-12 or I'm going to be behind the random trainers

drp527 on
    a1o1MZu.jpg
    edited March 2011
    speed

do whatever your heart guides you to do

your heart guides you to snorlax
    no but seriously if you wanna use togekiss don't let nobody hold you back

spread those wings and fly away, leaving the haters to choke on a cloud of Deal With It

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
    edited March 2011
    probably not a lot as I've already decided that the calm boost to special defense is worth far more than an offensive boost as that isn't the pokemon's purpose

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's pretty easy to go from 1 to 12 though.

Cilla Black on
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rocksteady - Gigalith

Kid Rock - Dwibble

Garbage - Trubbish

just a front of creativity over here

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited March 2011
    and man when tentacruel absorbs a thunderbolt or something and it takes barely 15% of his HP away I can just see the shades drop over his eyes as my opponent is forced to Deal With It

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited March 2011
    So when they won't let you upload the battle video after that means the person used hacked pokemon right?

Freshnukix on
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mizuumi wrote: »
    speed

do whatever your heart guides you to do

your heart guides you to snorlax
    no but seriously if you wanna use togekiss don't let nobody hold you back

spread those wings and fly away, leaving the haters to choke on a cloud of Deal With It

togekiss will most certainly be showing up to to take a big white dump on people's day

but for the league stuff I feel like that's supposed to have somewhat of an air of casual fun, so employing a strategy that pisses everyone off seems counter to the point of the thing

Speed Racer on
    edited March 2011
    Freshnukix wrote: »
    So when they won't let you upload the battle video after that means the person used hacked pokemon right?

I don't think it means that absolutely

but it definitely means that it was a possibility

Speed Racer on
  • Tommy2HandsTommy2Hands what is this where am i Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Phikal the Ammongus was pretty good on my part actually

also Amity for BEM

Tommy2Hands on
    8j12qx8ma5j5.jpg
    edited March 2011
    oh my god prejudice is a TANK

unintentional on
    edited March 2011
    Well he may wanna hack better.

Cause he got stalled in the most brutal beastly fashion.

Freshnukix on
    edited March 2011
    Also

Togekiss is the best pokemon and I will get paraflinched to death with a smile on my face.

Freshnukix on
    edited March 2011
    damn a bunch of these tentacool are showing up with the Capable of Taking Hits characteristic which I assume means they have a 31 defense because that's the only way the Somewhat Vain from their 31 special defense would be overriden

yukira you glorious bastard this kabuto has a robust carapace

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited March 2011
    Snorlax is also convenient in that I already have one trained up

meaning that the only new guys I gotta make are bouffalant and Minccino

Speed Racer on
    edited March 2011
    Freshnukix wrote: »
    Also

Togekiss is the best pokemon and I will get paraflinched to death with a smile on my face.

we are now Enemies

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited March 2011
    this is the way the world ends

not with a bang

or a wimper

but with sort of twitching angrily as it is held down and flapped at with big feathery wings until it dies

Speed Racer on
    edited March 2011
    I really miss the party status feature on the thingy from diamond/pearl/platinum

I keep forgetting how many eggs I'm carrying

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
    edited March 2011
    my nicknames are mostly words tangentially related to the pokemon's name/concept origin, corrupted to sound """cool""" (Onisci the Scolipede - a chunk taken out of the name of the order/family/whatever of centipede bulbapedia speculates it was based on)

that or things that incorporate the inital letter or multiple other letters from the species name (Lillian the Petilil; Parsons the Purrloin)

some more """creative""" ones that i am more """proud""" of include

Mesmer - Munna (obvious reasons)

Olive Oyl - female Timburr (the resemblance is uncanny)

HOTSHIT - Darumaka (see its white dex entry)

Mr. O - Sandile (other people suggested that; Crocodile from One Piece)

Archelon - Tirtouga (not really original since that's just the unmodified name of the ancient sea turtle carracosta was based off of, but it is a RAD NAME)

any instance of """triple quotation marks""" is intended to indicate """exaggerated finger quotes"""

Mizuumi on
    ducklett.gif
    edited March 2011
    my dudes are almost all "what's the first name I thought of"
    notable exceptions include

Death Star the Starmie
    Sirius, the other starmie who knows Gravity (get it it's a star that has a strong gravitational field get it)
    and my current favorites, Pride and Prejudice the Sawk and Throh NO I WILL NOT SHUT UP IT'S STILL AMAZING FUCK YOU

unintentional on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So macho brace + pokerus = 4 ev per 1 ev poke, yes?

Making sure I have my math right

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
This discussion has been closed.