As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

My refrigerator talks to me [SOLVED]

RikushixRikushix VancouverRegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I've wanted to post this to H/A for several months now but never gotten around to it. Help me satisfy my curiosity!

I moved into my apartment in August 2010. Since the day I moved in, my refrigerator makes a bizarre noise: sometimes, when I close the fridge door, I can hear the very loud gurgle of running water coming from inside. Here are the facts:
  • This happens when I close my fridge OR my freezer door, but more often with my fridge.
  • This happens at random. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesn't. The amount of time the fridge door is open doesn't seem to affect it, nor the amount of time between door openings. It seems to occur, on average, about once every four times.
  • While the water is "pouring", the door is REALLY hard to open. I have to really yank on the door (there's no handle, so I just grab an edge). It's as if the magnet in the door seal suddenly becomes twice as powerful. This is the thing that confuses me the most o_O
  • If I don't try to open my fridge after I close it, the "pouring" noise goes on for about five or six seconds.
  • I do not have an ice maker or a water dispenser or anything like that built in.
  • Nothing is wrong with the fridge or the freezer, and both work perfectly to my satisfaction. The apartment was renovated two years ago and as far as I can remember the fridge (and other appliances) are just as new.

I have a basic understanding about how fridge compressors work but this one is beyond me. I'm pretty sure this isn't a big deal but it's just weird enough that I want to know my landlord won't try to blame me for supposedly breaking my apartment fridge when I move out.

StKbT.jpg
Rikushix on

• Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Most refrigerators are just cold, but it is my understanding really good ones actually suck the air out to help create a good seal once you close it.

The ones at Pizza-hut did this and they were impossible to open for 30-45 seconds.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The running water you are hearing is the result of a defrosting heater inside the freezer. I suspect that water draining out to the evaporator tray is creating a temporarily tighter vacuum seal within the unit.

November Fifth on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The running water you are hearing is the result of a defrosting heater inside the freezer. I suspect that water draining out to the evaporator tray is creating a temporarily tighter vacuum seal within the unit.

This is probably the case, but should it be happening this frequently?

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    November FifthNovember Fifth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rikushix wrote: »

This is probably the case, but should it be happening this frequently?

Depends on the fridge, but it probably runs through a defrost cycle 2-3 times a day.

November Fifth on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I forgot to mention, if I open the door while the water is pouring, it stops the instant the door is opened.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
  • Options
    TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The fact that the fridge isn't actully talking to you is disappointing :(

TheOrange on
  • Options
    cintaricintari Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rikushix wrote: »
    I forgot to mention, if I open the door while the water is pouring, it stops the instant the door is opened.

It could be a pirate ghost infestation then. Put out a bowl of gold, beer, and wenches on your window sill at night. If its gone by morning that means you are up to your head in paranormal activity of the piratical nature. You can try reasoning with the pirate ghosts but I think you'll get nothing out of it but a face full of cannon balls and ectoplasm. I recommend calling in some East Indian Trading Co. ghosts. Pirate ghost and E.I.T. Co ghost hate each other passionately. Just throw them in a room and watch them tear each other apart.

cintari on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    TheOrange wrote: »
    The fact that the fridge isn't actully talking to you is disappointing :(

Yep! Isn't my thread title a let-down?

This is probably due to the defrosting heater and surrounding mechanisms. Logical explanations ahoy! This can be locked.

Rikushix on
    StKbT.jpg
This discussion has been closed.