As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PS3, canned air, and me!

cooljammer00cooljammer00 HeySmall Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Does anyone know anything about using canned air to clean a PS3 disc tray? My Scott Pilgrim Blu Ray keeps skipping (during the Patel fight, right after he says "You'll pay for your" etc. etc.). The disc is pristine, but my PS3 and media unit is pretty dusty. Would using canned air make the PS3/BR laser worse?

Note: I may have already sprayed a little canned air into the PS3. >_>

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
cooljammer00 on

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I probably wouldn't do it (more) .

Since it's sealed, you're just blowing it somewhere else into the device. Is it just this disc, or others? Clean off the back vents and the media unit.

MichaelLC on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well right now it's sitting on top of my old CRT in my room. I'm going to try and clean out the vents and whatnot if I can reach.

I did more research and tried using a vacuum to suck out the dust. The disc still skips at the same spot though.

I'm considering getting a replacement disc just in case.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well right now it's sitting on top of my old CRT in my room.

No cj00 no!

CRTs generate a ton of heat, that's the worst place to put a PS3.

SmokeStacks on
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    For some reason "my old CRT" makes me think he's not actually using it.

...But if he is, yes that's definitely a problem.

Adus on
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Forget about cleaning the drive by blowing/sucking air. You'll need a cleaning disc like this http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=cd+cleaner&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=3286602434563378929&sa=X&ei=7qCATdC8Ks7rOYPwqbsI&ved=0CDEQ8wIwBA#.

It's nothing fanicer than a disc with small brushes mounted in the right place.

One note though. Since the trouble with the disc consistent is does sound more like a problem with the disc itself or perhaps the drive in the PS3 is worn out.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I did more research and tried using a vacuum to suck out the dust. The disc still skips at the same spot though.

I searched around for issues with that movie, but didn't really find anything. Could be a bad one, if it's really only that disc. Most stores will let you exchange for same, I think.

MichaelLC on
  • Descendant XDescendant X Skyrim is my god now. Outpost 31Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Forget about cleaning the drive by blowing/sucking air. You'll need a cleaning disc like this http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=cd+cleaner&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=3286602434563378929&sa=X&ei=7qCATdC8Ks7rOYPwqbsI&ved=0CDEQ8wIwBA#.

One note though. Since the trouble with the disc consistent is does sound more like a problem with the disc itself or perhaps the drive in the PS3 is worn out.

Do not use a cleaning disc on a slot loading drive.

You probably shouldn't have vacuumed it either, but it's a little late for that. A buddy of mine vacuumed out his computer and ended up ruining the mobo with the static electricity the vacuum generated.

Descendant X on
    Garry: I know you gentlemen have been through a lot, but when you find the time I'd rather not spend the rest of the winter TIED TO THIS FUCKING COUCH!
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Blowing canned air into my xbox360 triggered RROD on its next use, after years of perfect operation. Anecdotal, sure, but I'll never do it again.

spool32 on
  • SkeezicksSkeezicks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Do not use a cleaning disc on a slot loading drive.

You probably shouldn't have vacuumed it either
    , but it's a little late for that. A buddy of mine vacuumed out his computer and ended up ruining the mobo with the static electricity the vacuum generated.

As far as cleaning out the dust from the PS3 itself, stick with canned air. For the optical drive, like MichaelLC said, the tray loading drives are sealed against dust and require very little cleaning.

If your disc skips at the same spot every time and other discs are fine then it could very well be a manufacturer's defect with the Scott Pilgrim disc.

Skeezicks on
    edited March 2011
    Okay, so DON'T use a vacuum (already did that), don't leave the PS3 on a CRT (gonna have to change its placement when the PS3 is in my room) and don't use a cleaning disc?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited March 2011
    Pretty much, yeah.

A slot-loading drive is designed to be essentially maintenance-free if it has proper ventilation and the vents are dusted regularly.

MichaelLC on
    edited March 2011
    So I'm getting a replacement disc. Hopefully it was a problem with the disc, but I doubt it.

I guess I just won't touch the PS3 at all? Since everything I do is making it worse?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited March 2011
    Pretty much.

Do you have a twist tie or cord wrap? If so, gently unplug the unit, tie up the power cord, and seal away in a root cellar. :wink:

No, it's not like you gave it a bath or something ( I hope); you were thinking more like a PC user. Consoles are really designed not to require any fiddling.

MichaelLC on
    edited March 2011
    Hmm, hope the PS3 isn't busted then. Cause I don't know why it would do that skipping thing.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited March 2011
    Okay, apparently it was the disc or the way the PS3 was position on the other TV, cause the new disc is fine.

Crisis averted!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited March 2011
    Cool - now as punishment for doing all the wrong things go buy Little Big Planet :-)

PS. I have used a cleaning disc with a slot drive and it did what was needed.

BlindZenDriver on
    edited March 2011
    I own the LBP GOTY edition. I got it with Uncharted 2 and Brutal Legend all those years ago.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Okay, apparently it was the disc or the way the PS3 was position on the other TV, cause the new disc is fine.

Crisis averted!

In the future, if a disc is skipping at the exact same part every time, it's not your player. There's no level of defect that would cause one movie to skip at the exact same part every time, but every other disc plays fine.

I mean, no defect other than "that disc is fucked."

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    edited March 2011
    So much for that superior Blu Ray coating, eh?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

edited March 2011
    So much for that superior Blu Ray coating, eh?

:P In my experience it may not be bulletproof but it certainly comes close.

I regularly borrow DVD/Blu ray movies, 360/PC/PS3 games and music on CD's at my local library and I'm yet to have Blu ray disc cause problems, which is a big contrast to the other media types where there are often issues due to scratches. Of course none of those media would have issues if only people would handle them with due care but it seems handling discs borrowed at the library like coasters is not uncommon.

BlindZenDriver on
    edited March 2011
    That's why I was sure it was a system problem rather than a disc problem, since I've bought PS3 games used and beaten up and they ran fine. Much more likely to me that my PS3 was just giving up the ghost. Luckily I was wrong.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png