As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Sims Medieval

• BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Decoy wrote: »
    You know you don't have to rush through the quests, right? The only time you get penalized is if you go for more than a day not doing any steps in the quest. In fact, you're better off taking it slow and letting high focus get you to a platinum rating before doing the rest of the quest. Right now I only have 5 buildings, so maybe things get tougher later on. So far, it's been no trouble at all.

Hah, but in order to keep your Focus high you need to make sure you complete your 2 daily tasks in the time window they give you, otherwise you get a mood reduction....

While also managing your hunger and sleep bars, otherwise you get a mood reduction....

While also making sure to you don't go too long without performing your bad trait, otherwise you get, you guessed it, mood reduction....

Now multiply that by the number of Sims you have to control during the quest you're working on.

If that sounds tedious, its because at times it can be. It takes patience and a skill/knack for micromanagement. But like I've previously said, I like it enough to play.

And this is different from other Sims games, how? I'm finding it muuuuch easier to keep my sims' moods up in this than in Sims 3.

BionicPenguin on
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You know you don't have to rush through the quests, right? The only time you get penalized is if you go for more than a day not doing any steps in the quest. In fact, you're better off taking it slow and letting high focus get you to a platinum rating before doing the rest of the quest. Right now I only have 5 buildings, so maybe things get tougher later on. So far, it's been no trouble at all.

Hah, but in order to keep your Focus high you need to make sure you complete your 2 daily tasks in the time window they give you, otherwise you get a mood reduction....

While also managing your hunger and sleep bars, otherwise you get a mood reduction....

While also making sure to you don't go too long without performing your bad trait, otherwise you get, you guessed it, mood reduction....

Now multiply that by the number of Sims you have to control during the quest you're working on.

If that sounds tedious, its because at times it can be. It takes patience and a skill/knack for micromanagement. But like I've previously said, I like it enough to play.

Sounds less micromanaging than the other Sims games.

mrt144 on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I haven't found that I've needed to complete all my responsibilities, either. I received a penalty for failing to do one, of course, but completing the other was enough to raise my focus bar back to the top.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Meh since I obviously missed whatever preorder stuff there was, I'll get it if they put it out for Steam.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    And this is different from other Sims games, how? I'm finding it muuuuch easier to keep my sims' moods up in this than in Sims 3.

You didn't have 2 daily timed tasks you had to complete (Sims 3 never told to make friends in 10 mins or else). The closest thing to that was just "Go to work", which is pretty much cake unless you played some of hands on careers from some of the new expansions.

You also didn't have to purge your "bad trait" by gambling, fighting, etc.

Again, I point out, I paid full price for the game, and am playing it and liking it. All I'm saying is this game is more focused on completing objectives (Quests, daily tasks, etc) than previous Sims games and that after awhile it gets tedious trying to juggle everything. I close the game, refresh for a few hours in Rome with AC:Brotherhood, and I then comeback and play more. Hah.
    Dracil wrote: »
    Meh since I obviously missed whatever preorder stuff there was, I'll get it if they put it out for Steam.

You didn't miss anything of substance. A few outfits and a few room theme stuff. Nothing a modder can't do in 10 mins.... If and when mods are available.

Decoy on
  • NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    OK, there was some talk of managing multiple Sims at a time while doing some quests....

This happens but it is not that bad actually. I was worried about it so I ignored one of the Sims for a bit to test a theory. When I selected the first Sim, the other Sims were automated and would eat and sleep on their own. It really is not that bad. I hate time limits as much as the next guy but honestly, it is not that big of a deal in this game.

I missed one responsibility on a Sim but had so many other benefits that it didn't even show up on my radar as a penalty.

I have yet to have focus problems and have played several quests with multiple Sims and have 12 buildings in my kingdom. So far I am having a really good time.
    2652902202_80bbbb6735_z.jpg
    FEAR ME

Noxy on
    edited March 2011
    Hah, I have too much fun as the Merchant. I played a lot of Recettear and, while it's not the same, it's still fun to approach people, butter them up, and make a sale. Sending your kid off to shop for you is a nice load off as well. Is there a way to find out the days "hot items" and buy in the same trip. Having to walk back and forth twice is a bit ridiculous.

Next quest I'm going to find one where I can play the Wizard again and see if the game let's me just go around scaring people with crazy ass spells.

Edit: And holy hell do I need a barracks. People are getting mugged left and right in my town. Hah.

Edit2: So someone mugged me as I was leaving town to go to shop in the village.... and then again when I got back... And then my Sim sat and talked with him afterwards. I just sat there and laughed as they actually had a decent conversation full of +s. LOL!

Decoy on
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm still early in the game, but I can only play as the monarch so far, correct? I've built a clinic and a barracks, and created hero characters for them, but I can't actually select them. I'm assuming once I finish the starting aspiration I'll be able to start a new game and play exclusively as the other characters if I so wish.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm picking this up at a midnight launch of the 3DS tonight, as a way to ensure I get some alone time with my shiny new handheld.

... What.

KiTA on
    edited March 2011
    Hah, I have too much fun as the Merchant. I played a lot of Recettear and, while it's not the same, it's still fun to approach people, butter them up, and make a sale. Sending your kid off to shop for you is a nice load off as well. Is there a way to find out the days "hot items" and buy in the same trip. Having to walk back and forth twice is a bit ridiculous.

Next quest I'm going to find one where I can play the Wizard again and see if the game let's me just go around scaring people with crazy ass spells.

Edit: And holy hell do I need a barracks. People are getting mugged left and right in my town. Hah.

Edit2: So someone mugged me as I was leaving town to go to shop in the village.... and then again when I got back... And then my Sim sat and talked with him afterwards. I just sat there and laughed as they actually had a decent conversation full of +s. LOL!

I have not built a market yet but it sounds fun.

My wizard was travelling around and messing people up pretty bad with his spells. I quite like it.

I decided to have my knight do a quest to add 3 or 4 to my security and on his way back to the barracks he kept getting mugged. I stopped and dueled each robber to the death and they kept coming. After about 7 or 8 I just ran back to the barracks because my knight was about to pass out from exhaustion.

So far I have focused on my Monarch, Physician, Knight and Wizard; in that order. I've been having a good time. I love sending people to the pit.

Noxy on
    edited March 2011
    Dashui wrote: »
    I'm still early in the game, but I can only play as the monarch so far, correct? I've built a clinic and a barracks, and created hero characters for them, but I can't actually select them. I'm assuming once I finish the starting aspiration I'll be able to start a new game and play exclusively as the other characters if I so wish.

Actually, once you have the hero available there is usually at least one quest available that you can choose with that hero involved. When you finish a quest, look for one that has the hero type you want to play listed as the primary hero.

Noxy on
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    KiTA wrote: »
    I'm picking this up at a midnight launch of the 3DS tonight, as a way to ensure I get some alone time with my shiny new handheld.

... What.

Europe.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fonjo wrote: »
    FEAR ME

Do they have Holy Grail jokes and references in this?

Kadoken on
    edited March 2011
    Kadoken wrote: »
    FEAR ME

I can't speak to that one, but they did have this one which won me over...

Spoilered for semi-huge.
    WaitForIt.jpg

Decoy on
    edited March 2011
    Kadoken wrote: »
    FEAR ME

The kingdom is surrounded by Dire Chinchillas. Yes.

Noxy on
    edited March 2011
    I recommend the quest "ANIMUSLAVER!" if you have a knight and a spy. It's a pretty long quest, but the storyline was good.

Decoy on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    harvest wrote: »
    KiTA wrote: »

... What.

Europe.

Hell yeah :P

I just loaded up the game to redeem the launch code, and that might be my favourite opening to a game ever.

Plus, the achievements look hilarious.

I really wish I could get on with the gameplay of these games :(

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This game look's certainly interesting. Can't wait for the modders to get their hands on this one.

...It does support mods, right?

EVOL on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I really like the Sims 2 console version and handheld Sims games due to their gameplay focus. Customizing sims and progress is what draws me in and not the building homes part. So as long as this game allows customize looks and clothing with a mission focus then I should enjoy this game right?

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I really like the Sims 2 console version and handheld Sims games due to their gameplay focus. Customizing sims and progress is what draws me in and not the building homes part. So as long as this game allows customize looks and clothing with a mission focus then I should enjoy this game right?

if you liked the Sims on the consoles you'll like this.

Magic Pink on
    edited March 2011
    Yeah I think the Sims 3 is pretty ace but after an intial create a Sim life phase wears off I get bored. I liked that one of the expansions packs I got recently had jobs with objectives rather then make 13 friends and read book to advance.

Plus Sims with swords and mead flaggens sounds cool.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah I think the Sims 3 is pretty ace but after an intial create a Sim life phase wears off I get bored. I liked that one of the expansions packs I got recently had jobs with objectives rather then make 13 friends and read book to advance.

Plus Sims with swords and mead flaggens sounds cool.

Sims 3 is a bit odd in that the base game is just a framework and all of the actual gameplay comes from the expansions.

With Late night, Ambitions, and World Adventures it's a pretty fun game if you pick a life goal and try for it while keeping up with opportunities and maybe having a few kids as well. The base game without any of the traveling, professions, dynamic opportunities, etc, not so much.

Jealous Deva on
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    how different is the kingdom building? do you just 'unlock' parts of the kingdom and they appear or do you place this stuff?

so this may be a bit off topic but sounds like a great idea to implement. Old folks home lets play.

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    edited March 2011
    how different is the kingdom building? do you just 'unlock' parts of the kingdom and they appear or do you place this stuff?

so this may be a bit off topic but sounds like a great idea to implement. Old folks home lets play.

I'm still working on my first Ambition, but unless it changes later you click on a predetermined location and a building just appears, giving you access to a new hero Sim and any new quests/job that come along with them.

Decoy on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    EVOL wrote: »
    This game look's certainly interesting. Can't wait for the modders to get their hands on this one.

...It does support mods, right?

Yes, I'm currently using a No Censor mod that uses a Resource.cfg file and a Mods folder, like The Sims 3 used to before it got moved to My Documents. I'm hoping an Awesomemod comes out for it.
    Dashui wrote: »

Yeah, so here is how the game works. You create a Monarch, then do quests for Resource Points to build new buildings. Once you build a new building, you can use it to create a sim for it (Wizard Tower -> Wizard, etc). Once you finish your current quest, you select a new one from the randomly generated Quests list. Which Sims you've created affects which quests you can do. Some may require a Monarch, or a Monarch + Spy, or some quests let you use any sim.

I'm not sure how the other "Ambitions" work, but I think they require you create a new kingdom.

Also, there's no Construction mode in this, so you can't design buildings, only furnish them.

So anyway, I've been enjoying the game so far. It's definitely a different beast than The Sims. Like mentioned, it's more focused than the main games. One big difference is you only have two needs now, Hunger and Energy.

Anyway, I'd type more, but I'm about to go play it. :P

Sir Carcass on
  • Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I wish my desktop wasn't the equivalent of a toaster.

Dignified Pauper on
    PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, can I go on the warpath in this game?

If so, how does it work? Is it total war-esque? Or is it just some menu with random numbers bumping up against each other, and the better one wins?

Better yet, can you play through a battle with your hero, if they exist?

Archonex on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Archonex wrote: »
    So, can I go on the warpath in this game?

If so, how does it work? Is it total war-esque? Or is it just some menu with random numbers bumping up against each other, and the better one wins?

Better yet, can you play through a battle with your hero, if they exist?

I haven't gotten that far yet, but I'm going to guess no to all of that. Probably the random numbers thing. One thing that does surprise me is it's not as family friendly as the main Sims games. You can kill and torture people, you can brew and drink ale, etc.

Sir Carcass on
  • Jeff210Jeff210 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm on some quest where I am monarch for a day and need to make some cider to melt cheese. It requires skin o' booze or something along those lines. Anyone know where to get this?

Jeff210 on
    edited March 2011
    Jeff210 wrote: »
    I'm on some quest where I am monarch for a day and need to make some cider to melt cheese. It requires skin o' booze or something along those lines. Anyone know where to get this?

I'm not sure. The only two guesses have are A) possibly the Village in the shoppe, or B) it's something you have to make using your heroes job skills by combining ingredients.

When you mouse over the icon in the bottom left, that shows the next step in your quest, what does the description say?

Decoy on
  • EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So there is no actual building done in this game? I cant build my own castle that i've seen so far, just put things in it, am i correct on this?

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So there is no actual building done in this game? I cant build my own castle that i've seen so far, just put things in it, am i correct on this?

From what I've heard, that's the way it works. Though I also hear there's a normal Sims mode in there somewhere.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • RebootReboot Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Popesnax wrote: »
    Was anyone else disappointed that this wasn't a mercilessly accurate simulation of feudal peasant life?

"Congratulations on your marriage! His Majesty has invoked the right of Primae Noctis."

Ambition: "Have Bread"

Prima Noctae didn't seem to exist, according to wiki...

Reboot on
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Reboot wrote: »
    Prima Noctae didn't seem to exist, according to wiki...

And it certainly wouldn't have existed in the middle ages, as it would be, you know, officially condoned adultery.

Its just in Braveheart to make the bad guy seem badder. Ol' Mel even admits that on the commentary.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Lorahalo wrote: »

From what I've heard, that's the way it works. Though I also hear there's a normal Sims mode in there somewhere.

There may be in free mode but I doubt it. All you can do is re-decorate everyone's pre-fab rooms.

Magic Pink on
    edited March 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Lorahalo wrote: »

There may be in free mode but I doubt it. All you can do is re-decorate everyone's pre-fab rooms.

I'm pretty sure "free mode" is just a quest with no goals, so I seriously doubt the Kingdom button turns into a Build Mode button. You also can't pan the camera around inside buildings, so that would make building difficult.

You just have to remember that this isn't a "The Sims" game, it's a spinoff. It has a good bit in common, but a sandbox it is not (mostly).

Sir Carcass on
    edited March 2011
    So I got this game last night after feeling giddy from watching the Giant Bomb quick look. I was waiting for a Steam version but Amazon's $15 credit on new DD games was enticing but bad part was that Amazon downloads are sloooow.

This game is weird though even as a Sims spin off. The resticted camera angle and really low Sim customization options. Seriously, two sliders only?

And the game is almost too focused for me to where I just keep targeting objectives rather then social it up. Still fun though because like all Sims games once I start for the first time I forget to go to bed at a right hour.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    What my BF is doing is maxing out levelling as much as possible between quests. That makes things interesting. So don't do your quests until you actually get a warning that you're getting late and make sure you always have a bunch of good moodlets.

Magic Pink on
    edited March 2011
    This game is weird though even as a Sims spin off. The resticted camera angle and really low Sim customization options. Seriously, two sliders only?

I'm confused by this as there are a ton of sliders, all of the detailed ones from The Sims 3. The extra slider mods I was using with TS3 also work, though some of the outfits have problems with them. About the only thing missing is makeup for the ladies, which makes sense, and picking individual components of outfits (there are only whole outfit selections, based on their class, though there's a way to even remove that restriction).

Sir Carcass on
    edited March 2011

I'm confused by this as there are a ton of sliders, all of the detailed ones from The Sims 3. The extra slider mods I was using with TS3 also work, though some of the outfits have problems with them. About the only thing missing is makeup for the ladies, which makes sense, and picking individual components of outfits (there are only whole outfit selections, based on their class, though there's a way to even remove that restriction).

Yeah, there's no way there's only two sliders. My BF spent over 2 hours per character getting all the faces he wants.

Magic Pink on