As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MOTW 3/23/11: Impurity Restored

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Graphic Violence
War of the Green Lanterns starts off pretty good in GL #64:

gl64a.jpg

gl64b.jpg

And Parallax returned to the battery, and is infecting all the GLs outside of Hal so far.

And then in GLC #58:
The cover is misleading, no real fight between the two. Ganthet saves them by removing their rings but they explode in his right hand, so he loses a limb (real gruesome splash page too)

TexiKen on

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Captain America and Batroc was fantastic. It showed the behind the scenes preparation that goes into planning a heist in a world where guys like Captain America try to stop you while delving into the head of Batroc. He is easily one of ny favorite "villains" and this issue nails him right on the head, particularly during his run in with a couple of parkourers.

FF was a pretty solid first issue, nice set-up and the final reveal is going to lead to some great stories. Hickman seems to be having fun with Peter and is going to use his big brain, which is nice.

Hulk was great, but that should be a given at this point.

Power Man and Iron Fist continues to be a fun old school romp, and FVL has created not one, not two but three interesting villains in just as many issues.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    New Mutants #23, more pieces falling together:

nm23b.jpg

nm23a.jpg

Looks like it might be Revenant after all.

Hats off to Carey for making me care about an X-storyline for the first time in a long time.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, GL #64 was great, although I wished they'd foreshadowed Krona's shenanigans a bit more LAST ish - would've heightened anticipation for what went down this issue.

On the flipside, profoundly underwhelmed by Death of (Ultimate) Spider-Man #156:
    Great to see Bagley's art come back, but the whole premise is completely rehashed from Ultimate Six and the last Green Goblin storyarc - Osborn, inexplicably alive and locked up in the Triskellion, powers up and breaks loose (for the umpteenth time - why would you put him in the same cell that has failed to hold him last time?), despite the fact that his powers should all be gone (again, just like the last time he was locked up), and frees various sinister characters.

Bit with Ultimate Cap was almost good, at least.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    The LuggageThe Luggage Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bat-family.

The Luggage on
    Interminable
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Ultimate Doom wrap up was pretty cool:
    I'm really liking the concept of Reed Richards as the bad guy here. Just a guy who has snapped because he just can't stand humanity's continuing use of science as a weapon. You can sympathize with the point of view, but revel in the irony that he's essentially become the new foil for the Ultimate FF team. That and Jessica Drew is now Agent Drew.

But I'm still really digging JLA: Generation Lost
    Power Girl brought Batman into the loop regarding Max Lord. It is revealed that Bruce's brief run as a White Lantern gave him all his memories of Lord back and the team tracks down Wonder Woman, who the majority of the DCU still has no memory of. Lord then proceeds to launch his main plan of attacking the JLI and Wonder Woman with a shit-ton of hastily converted Omacs because he is still apparently scared shitless of Diana. Looks like the next issue is gonna comprise of a massive beat down.

I wish I had scans of these though, too bad mine doesn't work currently.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Ultimate Doom wrap up was pretty cool:
    I'm really liking the concept of Reed Richards as the bad guy here. Just a guy who has snapped because he just can't stand humanity's continuing use of science as a weapon. You can sympathize with the point of view, but revel in the irony that he's essentially become the new foil for the Ultimate FF team. That and Jessica Drew is now Agent Drew.

But I'm still really digging JLA: Generation Lost
    Power Girl brought Batman into the loop regarding Max Lord. It is revealed that Bruce's brief run as a White Lantern gave him all his memories of Lord back and the team tracks down Wonder Woman, who the majority of the DCU still has no memory of. Lord then proceeds to launch his main plan of attacking the JLI and Wonder Woman with a shit-ton of hastily converted Omacs because he is still apparently scared shitless of Diana. Looks like the next issue is gonna comprise of a massive beat down.

I wish I had scans of these though, too bad mine doesn't work currently.

Re Ultimate Doom I think you're misreading the motivation -
    Reed is essentially pissed about humanity constantly getting in the way of the progression of science.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh, I understand, but humanity using science to create weapons can be seen as one of the main ways they are blocking its progression.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    tumblr_lijheiikLv1qcaee5o1_500.jpg

The new arc of Superman/Batman was written to be an RPG, I swear
    I guess thats just indicative of the times, which is neat

Tairu on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What the f-okay.

Did he limit break Lex Luthor for 9999 damage?

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    lsukalellsukalel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tairu wrote: »

Does he have the power!?

lsukalel on
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    lsukalel wrote: »
    Does he have the power!?

And The Touch.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hear the Zelda "you got an X!" music when I look at that panel.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    lsukalel wrote: »
    Tairu wrote: »

Does he have the power!?

The item even has a similar shape!

Wildcat on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My moment of the week was finally getting the last issue of Neonomcon, and being able to sit down with all 4 issues and put everything together. Read through it all twice. Alan Moore can still write a damn great comic.

Hensler on
  • Options
    TairuTairu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The scene in the New Green Lantern where
    Larfleeze's lantern spits out of the book of black
    reminded me of this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvXyV4L4wSk#t=04m31s

Tairu on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Man did no one read Captain America and Batroc?

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I haven't read it yet. I will when I get home! I'm fully expecting to love it, because Gillen hasn't done wrong by me yet.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Having loved his Thor and SWORD and the Loki Siege one-shot

this is better than all of them

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Wo-hoa, now. That's a pretty bold claim. Pretty bold. The Loki one-shot was probably my favorite comic of last year. You are setting up some expectations, my man.

P.S. Did I mention that I got a sketch of Loki from Jamie McKelvie at last year's NYCC?

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I am jealous, I also loved the Loki one-shot a ton.

I am super excited for Journey into Mystery

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Would love a McKelvie sketch D: I did get one of the pages from Phonogram, mind you.

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I was looking at the Loki sketch with a friend of mine the day after I got it, and at one point he said "I just realized: You know that facial expression, that look he's giving?" - and as he was saying this, I immediately knew what he was about to say - "That's totally a David Kohl look."

I'm so glad he's getting more work and more exposure. The art in those Pepper Potts back-up stories in IIM was awesome.

Blank, you and I can be Journey Into Mystery bros. I am jazzed. I thought that Gillen's run on Thor was one of the best runs of anything I've read in a long time, so I'm super-excited that he's getting to play in that sandbox again. Although I actually really hate the idea of kid-Loki (I've gone off on this rant before), I'm confident that Gillen can make me like the character and concept.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Man did no one read Captain America and Batroc?
    I did. It was super awesome.

That page where he's wrestling with himself over whether or not he should take a shot at Bucky, was pretty fantastic.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I loved that so much.

The best parts were him shooting the shit with the parkour guys and the final page

God I love that frenchman

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Also, I really love that Batroc only has a pencil moustache when he's in costume, and otherwise just has a beard.

Haunt #14 was okay, but not much happened. Still, it's basically leading up to Spider-Spawn v.s. The Maxx, and as a child of the nineties, I can't help but be pumped for that.

Deadpool #34 was again okay, but not much happened. Id the Selfish Moon still makes me laugh, though.

I also grabbed Image's Lorna the Relic Wrangler, mainly because it had a Darwyn Cooke cover, and interior art to match. The lead story was okay, but the tone of the thing overall was really scattershot. I couldn't figure out whether the writer meant to portray the lead as capable, or a naive country girl. Still, it wasn't a terrible waste of $3.99.

By far the best thing I bought, was a copy of The Demon #1, in really good condition, for five bucks. I may write a big, sprawling blog piece about it later, but damn that was a good comic. It really showed Kirby's ability to set up a whole world, filled with heroes, villains, love interests, supporting characters, and an interesting setting, all in a single issue.

I'd put up some scans of this stuff, but my graphics card suddenly stopped working, so I'm currently using a crappy old CRT monitor, and the colors on it are all screwy, so I can't do the usual thing where I scan an image and then adjust it.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Mail it to me, I can scan it and then keep it forev- I mean return it as soon as possible

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Has there ever been a US Agent vs Batroc fight? Because there really should be, wheelchair or no.

Hensler on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Batroc was the best in Marvel Adventures Avengers with his french sound effects.

1z6tvee.jpg

2cqob38.jpg

2vmhmzb.jpg

edit: this scene from Marineman #4 is something I wish Aquaman would pull off more, because it's just cool:
    marineman4a.jpg

oh hey 'sup just gonna shoot myself out of the water like a salmon, no big deal.

love that art.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    The Demon #1; Kirby knew how to do a splash page.
    209j0v9.jpg

The last two pages..

2i12yo3.jpg

I really kind of miss those half-pages of text.

Deadpool #34; Deadpool evacuates a planet, and then taunts Id the Selfish Moon.
    2lazyme.jpg

Haunt #14; Spider-Spawn v.s. Venom-Maxx.
    149z5i.jpg

I really just love Capullo's art. It's like a gritty Ryan Ottley. Add in Kirkman and McFarlane's influence, and you have a book that really just speaks to the kid in me.

Captain America and Batroc #1; Batroc's dueling internal monologues.
    28miruh.jpg

Munch on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, Captain America and Batroc #1 was awesome. This is exactly the sort of thing I love to see: nuanced looks into minor characters that we only had two-dimensional views of before.

Delduwath on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I like that Marvel put an old Lee/Kirby Batroc appearance in the back. It showed that the character's always really had motivations extending beyond evil for evil's sake.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    This is true. Also, man, Kirby could draw a dynamic page.

(Your Demon scans had me salivating.)

I'll be honest: I really didn't care for the writing in the old Lee/Kirby Batroc comic. The need to verbalize every single action, no matter how slight, grates on my nerves. "Look how magnificently I clap my hands over your ears!"

Delduwath on