As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dragon Age Thread - [Please post in new thread]

1565758596062»

• PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Talith wrote: »
    I said that mage damage was bad earlier in the thread but nobody believed me :(

That's because we are comparing mage damage to the god kings that are 2h warriors and assassin rogues. D:

I wonder what total damage is like at the end of a long fight though.
    I have to say that I'm disappointed with the raw damage that Mages are putting out in the later levels. Hell, I can't really say that I've managed to find one decent single target nuke in the mages arsenal yet.

That's not what mages are for. That's what rogues are for.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey also, I think on Nightmare I've noticed that spells are more damaging and generally debilitating. Like "elemental force" seems to do more. Misfired Fireball can kill party members in like a hit.

Is there any actual explanation of difficulty level differences anywhere? I'm finding Nightmare pretty fun for incidental fights. Though I swear all the fights gain a few waves...

Also! I find it really silly that I'll frequently kill the Named Big Bad and then, 5 minutes later, still be fighting Nameless Grunt Who Has Health Potions For Some Reason.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey also, I think on Nightmare I've noticed that spells are more damaging and generally debilitating. Like "elemental force" seems to do more. Misfired Fireball can kill party members in like a hit.

Is there any actual explanation of difficulty level differences anywhere? I'm finding Nightmare pretty fun for incidental fights. Though I swear all the fights gain a few waves...

Also! I find it really silly that I'll frequently kill the Named Big Bad and then, 5 minutes later, still be fighting Nameless Grunt Who Has Health Potions For Some Reason.

Basically

-Enemies have better stats
    -Friendly Fire on
    -Enemies have better resistances
    -Elemental force/pushback is higher(not sure if this is for everyone or just enemies).
    -You sustain more injuries
    -Enemies get extra abilities

Dragkonias on
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pancake wrote: »
    Silpheed wrote: »
    Talith wrote: »
    I said that mage damage was bad earlier in the thread but nobody believed me :(

That's because we are comparing mage damage to the god kings that are 2h warriors and assassin rogues. D:

I wonder what total damage is like at the end of a long fight though.
    I have to say that I'm disappointed with the raw damage that Mages are putting out in the later levels. Hell, I can't really say that I've managed to find one decent single target nuke in the mages arsenal yet.

That's not what mages are for. That's what rogues are for.
    What can I say, I like my Mages to be the equivalent of swiss army knifes :P

Silpheed on
    edited March 2011
    Mages kind of blow on Nightmare, though. The Crowd Control becomes "Kill all your party members".

I wish the targeting was less jumpy.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mages make up for a lack of single-target nukes by being walking AOE disaster zones

Yougottawanna on
  • AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    phishstik wrote: »
    I find it odd that they once again coded in unique items (but unusable) for our dude to pickup on his quest, only this time some items are automatically put in the Trash section of the items list.

There is no need to even LOOK at this item in your inventory anymore!! We have solved all inventory issues!! We have deemed it to be garbage, and as such, you will journey to a merchant and quickly sell that shit to clean out your inventory, to pickup more shit.
    this is such a baffling design decision

when I saw how it worked I was just whyyyyyyyyy

It is one of the dumbest design decisions I've seen, and it's completely missing the point of loot complaints from previous games.

I mean honestly, I would have liked it more if they'd gone full ME2 and just given up on the idea of looting. The loot system isn't really very fun.

Oh, hell no! That was my second biggest complaint about ME2 (my biggest being they ripped out most of the RPG mechanics). I do NOT want to see them going that way any farther. Hell, all but one of my complaints about DA2 are about the stuff they integrated from ME (Dialogue wheel, voice acting, etc). ME is a great game, but god damn it, do NOT turn Dragon Age into a Fantasy ME.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mages make up for a lack of single-target nukes by being walking AOE disaster zones

See but 2H Warriors are also better at that.

AoE Damage? 2H Warrior
    Single target damage? Rogue.
    CC/Buffs? Mage.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah. Pretty much.

That's why Creation is the best generic mage tree in the game.

Dragkonias on
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ok. Stupid bug.

Wear armor. Go home. You are in swank clothes but make clinky armor walking sounds lol.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am playing my first mage game and you guys have got me confused. I thought Force Mage and nuking the shit out of stuff was supposed to be very effective.

Valiantheart on
    PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
    edited March 2011
    IMO mage AOE is at least comparable to 2H warrior AOE if you go the blood mage route, especially in long fights. Warriors will eventually run out of stamina(even with second wind), but a blood mage with enough +mp per hp gear just keeps raining down damage forever (especially if it's Merrill with her whateveritscalled tree with the AOE sustain).

Yougottawanna on
  • PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    mojojoeo wrote: »
    Ok. Stupid bug.

Wear armor. Go home. You are in swank clothes but make clinky armor walking sounds lol.

It's not really a bug. All it does is temporarily change the appearance of your armor and hide your weapons. Your equipped equipment is technically still plate or whatever.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The first part of the game was interesting enough. My hometown has been destroyed, get my family to safety! Oh shit, the city we ran to won't let us in! So now we have to work our asses off to win enough coin and favor to settle in our new home. Cool!

But then the game just skips that part completely, the problem gets solved off camera, and I'm railroaded into joining some random dwarf's get-rich-quick scheme. Could my family use the money? Sure. But it's not some desperate situation like it was before, the sense of urgency and importance is lost. That's great that there's something more meaningful coming. But we're not talking about a couple hours, here. We're talking like over ten hours of gameplay with barely any plot hooks. That's far too long, IMO.

I have to admit that, as much as I enjoyed this game, I found this to be disappointing as well. I thought the game did a good job portraying the struggle that Hawke and his/her family go through trying to escape Lothering, and I don't mind at all the time skip involved with their boat ride to Kirkwall.

The action picks up with them trying to get into Kirkwall which culminates in Hawke and sibling needing to work for some shady employer to make it happen. And then?

....1 year later.

Lame. To be honest, the first time I got to this point in the game I got kindof excited because I was hoping it'd be perhaps a slightly extended version of the Dwarf Commoner origin from DA:O. I really thought that origin did a good job in portraying the desperation and poverty that the Casteless live within, but it was over all too quickly before you were shoved into the Grey Wardens.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am playing my first mage game and you guys have got me confused. I thought Force Mage and nuking the shit out of stuff was supposed to be very effective.

It is. You can spec your mage in various ways. Support/Healer is one of the more popular ones, but using Force Mage: Gravity Ring and Fire Storm/Tempest is an extremely effective mob killer.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    man I don't want to claw my way out from poverty

I just want to move out of my creepy uncle's house into a ritzy hightown estate where I can hobnob with all the rich folks

Elendil on
    edited March 2011
    man I don't want to claw my way out from poverty

I just want to move out of my creepy uncle's house into a ritzy hightown estate where I can hobnob with all the rich folks

2nd playthrough?

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    edited March 2011
    I was trying to figure out how to spec my mage

I plan to go blood mage, but can't decide between sidelining force mage for unshakeable or spirit healer for that big passive health/health regen boost

Elendil on
    edited March 2011
    AspectVoid wrote: »
    Oh, hell no! That was my second biggest complaint about ME2 (my biggest being they ripped out most of the RPG mechanics). I do NOT want to see them going that way any farther. Hell, all but one of my complaints about DA2 are about the stuff they integrated from ME (Dialogue wheel, voice acting, etc). ME is a great game, but god damn it, do NOT turn Dragon Age into a Fantasy ME.
    Well, yeah. But man, the past... all of the Bioware games... loot has just been pretty awful.

I mean I have fond memories of BG2's loot, but that is probably a lot nostalgia. Though I did actually like that it was a bit more sedate. Like, you'd equip everyone with shit, then you'd find one decent for one character, then halfway-decent store bought for everyone, then decent for everyone, then two people get lucky and have a good one that sticks with them the whole game. It feels kind of rote to just go grab +4 every hour or so.

And god, every time I see an item for the head/hands/feet/chest in this game I go "Oh! That'll work great on fuck."

durandal4532 on
    edited March 2011

I plan to go blood mage, but can't decide between sidelining force mage for unshakeable or spirit healer for that big passive health/health regen boost

If you're intent on going Blood Mage, then forget Spirit Healer. Blood Mage makes you immune to conventional healing, making any healing spells/potions useless.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

It is. You can spec your mage in various ways. Support/Healer is one of the more popular ones, but using Force Mage: Gravity Ring and Fire Storm/Tempest is an extremely effective mob killer.

And we aren't really saying mage damage is bad, just that Assassin Rogues and 2h Warriors can outstrip it by a pretty wide margin...

I might be wrong, but I also think Mage spells also have more force to them, especially with the Force Mage spec, so you are going to be getting more knockdowns/stuns with them than other classes... I think.

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011

If you're intent on going Blood Mage, then forget Spirit Healer. Blood Mage makes you immune to conventional healing, making any healing spells/potions useless.
    I wasn't planning on actually using the spells

like, literally just for this

and I guess the no injuries talent could be mildly convenient

Elendil on
    edited March 2011

I wasn't planning on actually using the spells

like, literally just for this

and I guess the no injuries talent could be mildly convenient

Vitality only works if you have the first Spirit Healer sustain ability active.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Well, yeah. But man, the past... all of the Bioware games... loot has just been pretty awful.

I mean I have fond memories of BG2's loot, but that is probably a lot nostalgia. Though I did actually like that it was a bit more sedate. Like, you'd equip everyone with shit, then you'd find one decent for one character, then halfway-decent store bought for everyone, then decent for everyone, then two people get lucky and have a good one that sticks with them the whole game. It feels kind of rote to just go grab +4 every hour or so.

And god, every time I see an item for the head/hands/feet/chest in this game I go "Oh! That'll work great on fuck."

I think much of the "loot problem" can just be solved having less loot. BG2 did it well because you didn't find a +x ring in one chest and then a +x+1 ring in the next. When you found a "trinket" (cape/neck/ring/belt) item in BG it was something unique, and you found them less often.

This was basically ME1's problem - even a random "clear three rooms" sidequest would drop 3-4 shotguns, 2-3 sets of armor, 2-3 pistols, etc... In DA2 it's not as bad but there's still just too many trinkets if you ask me. I think at one point in my latest playthrough I had four +33 attack belts in my inventory.

Yougottawanna on
    edited March 2011
    At least its not like ME1 where the loot is forced into your inventory whether you like it or not.

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I haven't been able to bring myself to play MageHawke yet. I played warrior, then rogue, and now I've been dicking around with yet another warrior.

I'm thinking I might make a Mage, spec him out as a healbot, and then just control Varric through the whole game. :D

Toxic Pickle on
    edited March 2011

I think much of the "loot problem" can just be solved having less loot. BG2 did it well because you didn't find a +x ring in one chest and then a +x+1 ring in the next. When you found a "trinket" (cape/neck/ring/belt) item in BG it was something unique, and you found them less often.

This was basically ME1's problem - even a random "clear three rooms" sidequest would drop 3-4 shotguns, 2-3 sets of armor, 2-3 pistols, etc... In DA2 it's not as bad but there's still just too many trinkets if you ask me. I think at one point in my latest playthrough I had four +33 attack belts in my inventory.
    I think it'd probably help if you didn't necessarily outgrew your equipment

I really liked the level up attribute for Fadeshear and I think having just a bunch of unique armors that are viable options at any point in the game could allow for a lot of visual design and statistical variety

there'd be less loot overall and I guess not really any upward progression, so I imagine most people would hate it, I suppose

Elendil on
    edited March 2011
    Actually, yeah: both of those things.

Having enchanted items be really rare and provide unique benefits, and having those benefits actually be useful period, rather than +23 now, to be replaced by +31 later, would be really nice. I hate all the "Belts" and "Rings". I would rather have a single +attack ring than 40 identical copies of no real consequence.

Also I keep wanting to identify/read about items in this and nope.

durandal4532 on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Regarding the discussion from last page: The problem with DA2's sidequests was that most of them sucked, hard.

Do tell. I'm intrigued by your assertion and would like to subscribe to your newsletter to find out how they sucked, hard.

You typical Dragon Age 2 side quest - go through the cave/ruins/mine/storehouse/mountain/cliff side and kill all bandits/demons/skeletons/spiders/dragons, have a short conversation with the dungeon boss, kill said dungeon boss. This will be repeated over and over and over and, yes, over again and you always go to the very same locations and kill the very same enemy hordes. There are preciously few side quests take break up this routine and it drove me mad (I even switched to casual difficulty mid-way through the game). The game basically assumes you are brain-dead, because that might be the only possible reason to enjoy this sisyphean task. Most MMOs have probably a more diverse quest range than DA2.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Why are you doing side quests you don't enjoy, though?

Stop not having fun! That's bad for you!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Having enchanted items be really rare and provide unique benefits, and having those benefits actually be useful period, rather than +23 now, to be replaced by +31 later, would be really nice. I hate all the "Belts" and "Rings". I would rather have a single +attack ring than 40 identical copies of no real consequence.

I wouldn't mind having more level-upgrading gear at all, but a lot of people love upgrading their gear through loot. It's why games like Diablo exist.

As streamlined as it was, ME2 had a good idea with allowing for unlocked stuff to be available for all teammates, eliminating a lot of pointless stuff from our inventory. It might be interesting to go a little further with crafting/inventory for DA3: make it so that you can find recipes (and recipe upgrades) for various kinds of gear, and then you can slot in as needed. Like, you find a diagram for an Amulet of Hit Points, which gives a certain bonus to (duh) hit points, which you can use, or you can use that other kind of amulet you found, the Amulet of Attack Bonus. The bonuses would either scale with level or need to be upgraded as you progress through the game. There's something there; I wouldn't want to entirely eliminate unique loot, though. Just make it so that you can always equip generic gear without it cluttering your inventory.

My main problem with DA2 inventory was that it was kinda difficult to assign rings or dual weapons while looking at the stats; they'd inevitably go into the wrong slot for some reason.

Also, the font was way too small. I was glad that there were no descriptions of items, because it would've caused me massive eye-strain.

As much as I love the story and gameplay of DA2, the fact of the matter is that it could've used another six months or so of playtesting and UI improvements. The whole promise of EA to not interfere with the release schedules of Bioware games is starting to ring a bit hollow. Glad the Good Doctors got to be Vice Presidents or whatever, though...

Dracomicron on
  • mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I enjoyed my second playthrough for the most part (partially because I didn't have Isabella the first time around and thus got more fun banter) but it's disappointing how many things you can't change about the way things go down in the end. I sort of knew that going in, but I thought at least by doing things differently maybe a few details would change.
    I still wish there was a way to say "you fuckers are crazy I'm leaving" and they force you to fight both sides to get out of Kirkwall. Also, fuck Orsino. Meredith is out of her gord a bit, but at least she's blunt about her intentions for the most part. But Orsino acted like he was horrified by blood magic but somehow manages to be the strongest at blood magic in the game when pushed. You aren't able to do shit like that unless you've had some fucking practice.

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    Regarding the discussion from last page: The problem with DA2's sidequests was that most of them sucked, hard.

Do tell. I'm intrigued by your assertion and would like to subscribe to your newsletter to find out how they sucked, hard.

You typical Dragon Age 2 side quest - go through the cave/ruins/mine/storehouse/mountain/cliff side and kill all bandits/demons/skeletons/spiders/dragons, have a short conversation with the dungeon boss, kill said dungeon boss. This will be repeated over and over and over and, yes, over again and you always go to the very same locations and kill the very same enemy hordes. There are preciously few side quests take break up this routine and it drove me mad (I even switched to casual difficulty mid-way through the game). The game basically assumes you are brain-dead, because that might be the only possible reason to enjoy this sisyphean task. Most MMOs have probably a more diverse quest range than DA2.

Because "collect X bear tongues" is more diverse than "gather proof of templar abuse" or "go into fade to rescue a budding mage from demons" or "help your party tank get a date"? Seriously, I know that almost all the quests result in Hawke killing a bunch of dudes, but that... that's kinda what the game is, and the first game was about some Warden killing a bunch of dudes. I'm not seeing how you were snookered into something you wouldn't like, here.

Dracomicron on
    edited March 2011
    I enjoyed my second playthrough for the most part (partially because I didn't have Isabella the first time around and thus got more fun banter) but it's disappointing how many things you can't change about the way things go down in the end. I sort of knew that going in, but I thought at least by doing things differently maybe a few details would change.
    I still wish there was a way to say "you fuckers are crazy I'm leaving" and they force you to fight both sides to get out of Kirkwall. Also, fuck Orsino. Meredith is out of her gord a bit, but at least she's blunt about her intentions for the most part. But Orsino acted like he was horrified by blood magic but somehow manages to be the strongest at blood magic in the game when pushed. You aren't able to do shit like that unless you've had some fucking practice.

Orsino
    He was down with BM. He was favorably corresponding with Quentin (as in: "White Lily Killer of Momma Hawke" Quintin). He was just as nuts as Meredith. I think it's because his office is across the hall from her's, and the idol screwed with both of them...

Dracomicron on
  • ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Orsino
    He was down with BM. He was favorably corresponding with Quentin (as in: "White Lily Killer of Momma Hawke" Quintin). He was just as nuts as Meredith. I think it's because his office is across the hall from her's, and the idol screwed with both of them...

Maybe but
    Quentin had been operating since at least chapter 1. Long before the cursed object came to town.

I dont doubt for a second Orsino knew about him then either.

Valiantheart on
    PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I wouldn't mind having more level-upgrading gear at all, but a lot of people love upgrading their gear through loot. It's why games like Diablo exist.

As streamlined as it was, ME2 had a good idea with allowing for unlocked stuff to be available for all teammates, eliminating a lot of pointless stuff from our inventory. It might be interesting to go a little further with crafting/inventory for DA3: make it so that you can find recipes (and recipe upgrades) for various kinds of gear, and then you can slot in as needed. Like, you find a diagram for an Amulet of Hit Points, which gives a certain bonus to (duh) hit points, which you can use, or you can use that other kind of amulet you found, the Amulet of Attack Bonus. The bonuses would either scale with level or need to be upgraded as you progress through the game. There's something there; I wouldn't want to entirely eliminate unique loot, though. Just make it so that you can always equip generic gear without it cluttering your inventory.

My main problem with DA2 inventory was that it was kinda difficult to assign rings or dual weapons while looking at the stats; they'd inevitably go into the wrong slot for some reason.

Also, the font was way too small. I was glad that there were no descriptions of items, because it would've caused me massive eye-strain.

As much as I love the story and gameplay of DA2, the fact of the matter is that it could've used another six months or so of playtesting and UI improvements. The whole promise of EA to not interfere with the release schedules of Bioware games is starting to ring a bit hollow. Glad the Good Doctors got to be Vice Presidents or whatever, though...

Trust me, you do not want to question the UI design on this forum.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png