As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Just another Friday nite at the [chat]house

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fucking Iphones man.

Cinders on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Cinders wrote: »
    Apparently, one of my friends secretly recorded our conversation while we were completely shitfaced.

Am I right to be kinda annoyed by that?

This was a weekly practice in college for my friends. Then at some point in the following week we'd get a bitchin remix, complete with a sweet bass line and all the most embarrassing snippets strung together.

"Yeah, I'd suck a cock - I'd - I'd - I'd suck a cock"
    B-B-B-BVWWWWWWOOOOOPPP BUMP BUM BUM BVWOOOOOOMP BUMP

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    Apparently, one of my friends secretly recorded our conversation while we were completely shitfaced.

Is it the kind of friend you can trust to destroy the recording or guard it as one might guard a phylactery?

I have a feeling he might use said recording as a cheap party gag.
    Was it "seriously discussing the merits of one Street Fighter character over another" type drunk conversation, or "I killed a man just to watch him die" type drunk conversation?

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    dk! I'm going to do it

im going to buy a mbp

this weekend!!

maybe!

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Is it the kind of friend you can trust to destroy the recording or guard it as one might guard a phylactery?

I would be annoyed by that, yes.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Speaking of cats, the little orange cat was waiting at my door this morning. He started crying plaintively as soon as I opened it. I guess that he recalled me drying him off and cuddling when it rained this weekend.

I will admit that I actually stood there for a bit, as if he understood English:

Desc: Sorry buddy. Not today. I have to go to work!
    Cat: Meow!
    Desc: if I don't go to work, I'll have to live on the street!
    Cat: meow!

desc on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I always appreciate good usage of the word 'phylactery'

Ishmael secretly began keeping the little blue pills he picked up at the Apothecary in the phylactery he wore around his neck. Morning prayer had never given him such a rise until that day.

Ludious on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

This was a weekly practice in college for my friends. Then at some point in the following week we'd get a bitchin remix, complete with a sweet bass line and all the most embarrassing snippets strung together.

Ok, so realistically how hard would it be to do something like this?

I have no equipment or music background.

TL DR on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gooey wrote: »
    dk! I'm going to do it

im going to buy a mbp

this weekend!!

maybe!

Just do it! It'll be the best laptop you've ever owned!

Be sure to get the matte and high res screen options. All the other upgrades you can leave off and do later. HDD and RAM replacement on those machines is dead simple.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

we did this to movies we liked

i still have a pretty sweet predator techno mix someplace

*predator clicking* g-g-g-g-GET TO THE CHOPPA

UNCE UNCE UNCE UN-UN-UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE UN-UN-UNCE

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

A cheezy little 4x4 mix of a vocal sample?

If you don't care about it being terribly good or original, super-easy. I could do it, and I suck.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    why would he use a recording as a gag

can't he use a pair of balled up socks like the rest of us

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    dk! I'm going to do it

im going to buy a mbp

this weekend!!

maybe!

Be sure to get the matte and high res screen options. All the other upgrades you can leave off and do later. HDD and RAM replacement on those machines is dead simple.

i am thinking glossy hi-res screen (i like the gloss!) and the small ssd

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011

we did this to movies we liked

i still have a pretty sweet predator techno mix someplace

*predator clicking* g-g-g-g-GET TO THE CHOPPA

UNCE UNCE UNCE UN-UN-UNCE UNCE UNCE UNCE UN-UN-UNCE

untch untch untch unt

anytime...

Sheep on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

A cheezy little 4x4 mix of a vocal sample?

If you don't care about it being terribly good or original, super-easy. I could do it, and I suck.

Yeah, I'd basically be doing it as a joke

TL DR on
  • Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I ordered an iPad.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just tried on my suit for the wedding tomorrow.

I looked pimp. 8-)

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I made my remixes with Garageband but any beginner DAW software should work. I don't know of any that match Garageband in terms of price ($0) and super easy usage on a PC though.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gloss screen 4 lyfe

Fuck the sun

desc on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Nice, RMS.

I'm supposed to officiate a friend's sister's wedding next year. I thought it was a joke when they suggested it, but apparently my name is starting to appear in scrapbooks! It all started because I mentioned that I'm an ordained minister in the Universal Life Church.

TL DR on
  • Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I looked pimp. 8-)

Is... is that a good thing in this circumstance?

Sparvy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I looked pimp. 8-)

Pics? There have to be pics, you know?

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    desc wrote: »
    Gloss screen 4 lyfe

Fuck the sun

,,|, O

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Sparvy wrote: »

I looked pimp. 8-)

Is... is that a good thing in this circumstance?

In this context "pimp" is a superlative.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Me too, Burnothy. I used to post on usenet for a few years in my wild youth with the name "The Reverend [myname]."

Nobody's ever asked me to officiate nuffin', though, even though I would be rad, so that is awesome for you.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Haphazard wrote: »

I looked pimp. 8-)

I'll have to ask my parents to take some pictures, because I didn't think to take my camera.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    yay for cheats pizza - garlic bread pizza with salmi, mozzarella and olives.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "Feminists are evil because this woman claims she is one."
    "Well most feminists do their best to distance themselves from her in discussion. I'm not sure what more they can do."
    "I don't read feminist discussions because feminists are evil, so clearly they aren't doing a good job."

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    dk! I'm going to do it

im going to buy a mbp

this weekend!!

maybe!

What's the size/extra charge for the SSD? You might be better off snagging a little 2.5" drive case and something off Newegg.

Donkey Kong on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I would be annoyed by that, yes.

i found on my iphone a very drunk conversation among friends

it came up randomly once on my itunes playlist

it was about shel silverstein and how one of my friends thought he looked like a black man in his photos
    shel-silverstein.jpg

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I might post this over in the man-child thread but right now I am more just musing so I'll stick it here.

My life has (though circumstance not planning) been one much more like the ideal held up in the article in the OP than that of a "man-child". I stopped receiving any economic support from my parents at 17. Had a kid just after turning 21. Been in a monogamous relationship for nearly 15 years now. Worked like hell to go from nearly being on the street (along with my family - we came damn near the edge several times when the boy was a baby) to now making a hell of a lot of money with lots of future prospects.

But despite that, I actually empathize far more with these man children than with an Irond Will-esq caricature of 1950s suit-wearing Manhood. And I think they, or something like them, are by necessity much more the Man of the future than any past ideal.

Having done exceedingly well for myself during a period of general economic horribleness I think the second most important factor for success in the US (the first is, as always, being born or marrying into the upper class) is to retain a child-like quality of mental plasticity. The willingness and ability to learn new skills quickly is far more important than the sum total of skills a worker has at any given moment. We live and work in a dangerous and constantly changing environment where rapid adaptation to change is absolutely vital.

And the ideal of a steady, reliable, suit-wearing, god-fearing, Ward Cleaver style family man who works for the same magnanimous corporation for years on end is one utterly doomed to failure in such an environment. I would rather put forward an ideal of a Man who retains and even revels in the child-like ability to learn and deal productively with destructive change. If the side effects of this are an equally child-like demeanor and wardrobe then the tradeoff is still very worthwhile.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I ordered an iPad.

Totally stealing my thunder.

I'm guessing you're getting the new one. I'm loving my ipad1 so far (all of 24 hours); seriously wish i'd had the the cash to get this months ago.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Garageband seems to be an OS X thing. Is there a Windows program that would serve?

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    dk! I'm going to do it

im going to buy a mbp

this weekend!!

maybe!

What's the size/extra charge for the SSD? You might be better off snagging a little 2.5" drive case and something off Newegg.

it is $90 for the 128gb (student discount! SHH!), and right now OSX only supports TRIM with the BTO SSD's, so there's a definite benefit

I'm worried about space but I think if I need more I might buy one of those optibay things and put the 500gb hard drive out of my current pos dell in place of the cd drive

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    "Feminists are evil because this woman claims she is one."
    "Well most feminists do their best to distance themselves from her in discussion. I'm not sure what more they can do."
    "I don't read feminist discussions because feminists are evil, so clearly they aren't doing a good job."

Let's run away together, Thom.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    BobCesca wrote: »
    I ordered an iPad.

Totally stealing my thunder.

I'm guessing you're getting the new one. I'm loving my ipad1 so far (all of 24 hours); seriously wish i'd had the the cash to get this months ago.

Yeah. But don't worry, you'll still have your thunder for about a month. ;-)

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    i thought shel silverstein was a chick

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I thought Shell Silverstein was a mollusk

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

I looked pimp. 8-)

I'll have to ask my parents to take some pictures, because I didn't think to take my camera.

You do that! Can't be any worse than this:
    IMG_7261.jpg

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Nice, RMS.

I'm supposed to officiate a friend's sister's wedding next year. I thought it was a joke when they suggested it, but apparently my name is starting to appear in scrapbooks! It all started because I mentioned that I'm an ordained minister in the Universal Life Church.

Random trivia fact: the ULC and I share a birthplace.

I made my remixes with Garageband but any beginner DAW software should work. I don't know of any that match Garageband in terms of price ($0) and super easy usage on a PC though.

Ableton Live is probably the novice PC user's best bet. I say that partly because I know like real professional musicians who like make money and shit who use it, and partly because out of all the DAWs I've tried it's the first one that didn't make me feel retarded.

Feral on

This discussion has been closed.