As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Just another Friday nite at the [chat]house

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    And all the manchildren said: TL;DR.

Kidding. I agree with you Rie.

Ludious on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    Nice, RMS.

I'm supposed to officiate a friend's sister's wedding next year. I thought it was a joke when they suggested it, but apparently my name is starting to appear in scrapbooks! It all started because I mentioned that I'm an ordained minister in the Universal Life Church.

Random trivia fact: the ULC and I share a birthplace.

I made my remixes with Garageband but any beginner DAW software should work. I don't know of any that match Garageband in terms of price ($0) and super easy usage on a PC though.

Ableton Live is probably the novice PC user's best bet. I say that partly because I know like real professional musicians who like make money and shit who use it, and partly because out of all the DAWs I've tried it's the first one that didn't make me feel retarded.

Hello, FL Studio

TL DR on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    I thought Shell Silverstein was a mollusk
    Not with that last name he's not.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Gooey wrote: »
    i thought shel silverstein was a chick

nah, he was a buff Jewish dude and he also did a sideline in writing country music. He wrote "A Boy Named Sue," for instance.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Half the time I work up the stones to wander out of [chat] and venture an opinion I just get swallowed by the background noise.

I guess people just look at my posts and go, yep, sky still blue and move on.

I'm going to believe that and embrace it as a good thing. Or something.

Galahad on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    my cat wants a potato chip

she's just gonna sniff it and walk away
    My cat likes to lick whatever the coating is off of the chip. Salt off plain chips, dorito ... uh, powder off of Doritos, etc. He's kinda goofy like that. If given the chance he'll eat the inside-ness, but ONLY the interior, of glazed donuts as well.

I sound like I culinary abuse my cat, don't I? "Oh yeah, I feed my cat potato chips and donuts. 'Cause that's what cat's eat in the wild, dontchano."

ha, a couple of friends got on me for not feeding Gus some leftover steak scraps, because "that's what they eat in the wild."

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    I made my remixes with Garageband but any beginner DAW software should work. I don't know of any that match Garageband in terms of price ($0) and super easy usage on a PC though.

Ableton Live is probably the novice PC user's best bet. I say that partly because I know like real professional musicians who like make money and shit who use it, and partly because out of all the DAWs I've tried it's the first one that didn't make me feel retarded.

I know exactly what you mean. My first exposure to music software was:
    rBzyy.png

japan on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Giving Tree is FUCKED UP.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    I thought Shell Silverstein was a mollusk
    Not with that last name he's not.

beautiful

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Galahad wrote: »
    Half the time I work up the stones to wander out of [chat] and venture an opinion I just get swallowed by the background noise.

I guess people just look at my posts and go, yep, sky still blue and move on.

I'm going to believe that and embrace it as a good thing. Or something.

Who are you again?

Kidding. What's up with the truck situation?

Ludious on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I might post this over in the man-child thread but right now I am more just musing so I'll stick it here.

My life has (though circumstance not planning) been one much more like the ideal held up in the article in the OP than that of a "man-child". I stopped receiving any economic support from my parents at 17. Had a kid just after turning 21. Been in a monogamous relationship for nearly 15 years now. Worked like hell to go from nearly being on the street (along with my family - we came damn near the edge several times when the boy was a baby) to now making a hell of a lot of money with lots of future prospects.

But despite that, I actually empathize far more with these man children than with an Irond Will-esq caricature of 1950s suit-wearing Manhood. And I think they, or something like them, are by necessity much more the Man of the future than any past ideal.

Having done exceedingly well for myself during a period of general economic horribleness I think the second most important factor for success in the US (the first is, as always, being born or marrying into the upper class) is to retain a child-like quality of mental plasticity. The willingness and ability to learn new skills quickly is far more important than the sum total of skills a worker has at any given moment. We live and work in a dangerous and constantly changing environment where rapid adaptation to change is absolutely vital.

And the ideal of a steady, reliable, suit-wearing, god-fearing, Ward Cleaver style family man who works for the same magnanimous corporation for years on end is one utterly doomed to failure in such an environment. I would rather put forward an ideal of a Man who retains and even revels in the child-like ability to learn and deal productively with destructive change. If the side effects of this are an equally child-like demeanor and wardrobe then the tradeoff is still very worthwhile.

I'm in a similar boat and I agree. In my personal life I've generally absorbed the ideals of masculinity that were espoused in the 50's. But I'll be the first to point out that those ideals while having some good aren't without cost. The idea that every male should aspire to those ideals is a rather silly one.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    i thought shel silverstein was a chick

nah, he was a buff Jewish dude and he also did a sideline in writing country music. He wrote "A Boy Named Sue," for instance.

He was also a total free love dude who hung out at the playboy mansion and nudist colonies doing drugs

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    i don't know why man-childness is accepted as a necessary corollary of mental plasticity

Organichu on
  • Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    with a face as cute as that gus can eat whatever he goddamn wants

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    But despite that, I actually empathize far more with these man children than with an Irond Will-esq caricature of 1950s suit-wearing Manhood.

more like a suit-wearing hobo. he has decided that LoL is a fitting career for a grown man.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    5216810471_766fb2e9b1_b.jpg?w=560&h=740

You uh... you got something on your face there, buddy.

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    "Feminists are evil because this woman claims she is one."
    "Well most feminists do their best to distance themselves from her in discussion. I'm not sure what more they can do."
    "I don't read feminist discussions because feminists are evil, so clearly they aren't doing a good job."

Let's run away together, Thom.

I'm spoken for. I do have some brothers though.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Looking up dealing with the grief of putting a pet down is only making it worse.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Organichu wrote: »
    i don't know why man-childness is accepted as a necessary corollary of mental plasticity

I was going to say, I think it's possible to be a constant learner and like Star Wars and Chipotle and all that other stuff that that ridiculous woman wrote about without also being really reactionary and hostile to the idea of comporting yourself well in public.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I strongly think that the ideal of manhood to which man-childness is held up as lacking is detremental to mental plasticity.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Jessica is using him as a behavioral subject in one of her classes. he picked up two new tricks (jump and roll over) in like two days.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    do we have to support chipotle

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ludious wrote: »

Who are you again?

Kidding. What's up with the truck situation?

*ssssssssssssssssss* (sound of static superimposed on a blue sky)

---

Truck situation is limbo. Insurance is waiting thirty days to see if the police turn anything up. Meanwhile I'm driving a rented Nissan around.

Truck is probably in Mexico by now.

Galahad on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Looking up dealing with the grief of putting a pet down is only making it worse.

the first step is realizing that it's not "just a pet"

studies have shown it can be harder to go through the loss of a pet than the loss of a family member

just let yourself greive and know you did the right thing. dude was in pain and it was the only way to take it away.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    do we have to support chipotle

I have this thing about chipotle because like the second time I ate there I got food-poisoned

it really pisses my friends off that I don't want to eat there

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Awww. Feminist aren't evil as a group. Just the ones that are also fascists are the evil ones.

Sheep on
  • Options
    STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    But I enjoy Chipolte food :(

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I strongly think that the ideal of manhood to which man-childness is held up as lacking is detremental to mental plasticity.

I only had the mental plasticity to parse this sentence because I'm a man child.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dynagrip wrote: »

Jessica is using him as a behavioral subject in one of her classes. he picked up two new tricks (jump and roll over) in like two days.

was she also the one who taught him to hate black people

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    But despite that, I actually empathize far more with these man children than with an Irond Will-esq caricature of 1950s suit-wearing Manhood.

more like a suit-wearing hobo. he has decided that LoL is a fitting career for a grown man.

Has he still not found a job?

Should... should I try to get him a job as a game tester...?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

was she also the one who taught him to hate black people

that's a breed trait.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011

well, in a very narrow comparison, maybe- like "held against this platonic ideal of masculinity", or whatever... and even then, i don't really buy it

but you can arrive at any of the innumerable gradients between the two without being a man child

i don't know, i feel like drawing this strong binary dichotomy is a weak argument

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Incenjucar wrote: »

do you hate him?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

the first step is realizing that it's not "just a pet"

studies have shown it can be harder to go through the loss of a pet than the loss of a family member

just let yourself greive and know you did the right thing. dude was in pain and it was the only way to take it away.

I cried when my dog died but not when my grandfather died. That made me feel pretty terrible.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Man, if you are thinking of going back to the testing thing you should really try for one of the positions outside the games group. They pay more for less work and have much better prospects for picking up skills and advancing into SDET positions.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Sheep wrote: »
    Awww. Feminist aren't evil as a group. Just the ones that are also fascists are the evil ones.

that whole thread has nothing to do with feminism except that a stupid woman wrote some stupid shit and a bunch of dudes went RAAGH FEMINISM

which really says more about them than about the dumb woman

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited March 2011

Last he said he wasn't looking. Maybe that changed, I dunno. Having an extended vacation can be nice for a while but I get really bored after a couple of months and am loathe to burn through savings.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Shit in Syria has hit the fan.

EDIT

that whole thread has nothing to do with feminism except that a stupid woman wrote some stupid shit

Oh yeah, the thread.

I stay away.

EDIT

Is the "dumb woman" in question here the one we would naturally assume?

Fascism + Sexism. Yuck.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    "Feminists are evil because this woman claims she is one."
    "Well most feminists do their best to distance themselves from her in discussion. I'm not sure what more they can do."
    "I don't read feminist discussions because feminists are evil, so clearly they aren't doing a good job."

Let's run away together, Thom.

I'm spoken for. I do have some brothers though.
    Yeah, its like watching a tiny cycle repeat itself over and over.

Jacobkosh:

1. I love you for your defense in that thread.
    2. Sexnasium? :winky:

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

1) Cry
    2) Hug (someone or something adorable)
    3) Do a thing where sudden blurry vision won't get you killed and which won't let you think and dwell too much

I am sadly an expert on pet loss, though my family tends to euthanize with bullets. :(

Incenjucar on
This discussion has been closed.