As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Just another Friday nite at the [chat]house

1505152535456»

• STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah uh having that sort of time off can make people develop really bad habits.

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    i've probably spent more time in a room with my dog than with any person in my life

Organichu on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Gooey wrote: »
    Looking up dealing with the grief of putting a pet down is only making it worse.

the first step is realizing that it's not "just a pet"

studies have shown it can be harder to go through the loss of a pet than the loss of a family member

just let yourself greive and know you did the right thing. dude was in pain and it was the only way to take it away.

See, the thing that's eating me is that he's acting normal. Like, he eats, he poops, he's affectionate, he plays. The only indication he's even sick is a choking cough.

But apparently, he's just a walking tumor and brain at this point.

So what the fuck is going on?

JustinSane07 on
  • RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think I need to grab a sandwhich before the cafeteria closes. Damn those people for reducing the hours from 3 to 2 PM.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    7DF8r.jpg

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Looking up dealing with the grief of putting a pet down is only making it worse.

studies have shown it can be harder to go through the loss of a pet than the loss of a family member

just let yourself greive and know you did the right thing. dude was in pain and it was the only way to take it away.

I cried when my dog died but not when my grandfather died. That made me feel pretty terrible.

The study I read on the subject basically said that we internalize our pets, so it's like losing a peice of ourselves. I mean, think about it. Everyone has that dog/cat voice in which they talk to/"for" their pet. We give them personalities they don't really have, etc.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Organichu wrote: »
    i've probably spent more time in a room with my dog than with any person in my life

jif.jpg?

Ludious on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I call bullshit that we "give them personalities they don't really have"

Ludious on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Variable wrote: »
    7DF8r.jpg

that is amazing

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I cried when my dog died but not when my grandfather died. That made me feel pretty terrible.

That's not unusual.

And shitsux, Justin. There's not much to be done except

1. Do it
    2. Feel almost exactly like you just took a child who trusts you with his life and had him put down

I cried a lot when we put my cat down after a 13ish year life.

desc on
    edited March 2011
    Ludious wrote: »

jif.jpg?

let's say: tumbles earns her alpo

Organichu on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    "Feminists are evil because this woman claims she is one."
    "Well most feminists do their best to distance themselves from her in discussion. I'm not sure what more they can do."
    "I don't read feminist discussions because feminists are evil, so clearly they aren't doing a good job."

Let's run away together, Thom.

I'm spoken for. I do have some brothers though.
    Yeah, its like watching a tiny cycle repeat itself over and over.

Jacobkosh:

1. I love you for your defense in that thread.
    2. Sexnasium? :winky:

Jacob has been studying under me. Take that as you will.

Thomamelas on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

peanutbutter?

I stared at this for a while before laughing hysterically.

Because Chu has more than once stated that if Tumbles could talk, he'd be in jail.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    edited March 2011

See, the thing that's eating me is that he's acting normal. Like, he eats, he poops, he's affectionate, he plays. The only indication he's even sick is a choking cough.

But apparently, he's just a walking tumor and brain at this point.

So what the fuck is going on?

animals deal with pain a lot differently (and a lot more effectively it seems) than we do.

It's a quality of life issue at the end of the day. He's been a good/loyal friend, and his future is one of pain, so you have to be a good/loyal friend back. It's not easy.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011

Obviously they have personalities, but the personification is all on us. I mean, we will never know with 100% certainty what an animal is thinking. We can guess, and assume, but even if we assume correctly they're still creatures we can't understand.

Sheep on
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    We have two spots for League of Legends! You bitches should come play with us!

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
    edited March 2011
    that's right tumbles, get all the peanut butter

aaaaaaaaaunngh

Ludious on
    edited March 2011
    i honestly don't know if i can ever get another dog

like, i know how meaningful a pet tumbles has been- from my preteens until today, in my mid twenties- and i wouldn't want to deprive my children of that

but the thought of raising another puppy until he or she is tumble's age, knowing i probably don't have much time left with her... ugh

Organichu on
    edited March 2011
    Every time I have put an animal down (3x now) I have cried like a little baby.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man if this game makes me fight that damn fight again I am going to be so pissed. Stupid consoles freezing like they were a pc. Arg.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh goddamnit. Did we really need another article on how people just barely get by on 250k a year?

I especially liked the comment from the guy complaining how hard it was to save money for his $75,000 New York wedding.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    I like how in a single page we can cover the distance from the sadness of euthanasia to dog blowjobs

god bless this place

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited March 2011
    Sheep wrote: »

Obviously they have personalities, but the personification is all on us. I mean, we will never know with 100% certainty what an animal is thinking. We can guess, and assume, but even if we assume correctly they're still creatures we can't understand.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying.

We flesh them out in a way they're not capable of being.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited March 2011

peanutbutter?

I stared at this for a while before laughing hysterically.

Because Chu has more than once stated that if Tumbles could talk, he'd be in jail.

i saw the bitch's ID, you can't get me for anything

Organichu on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man, if you are thinking of going back to the testing thing you should really try for one of the positions outside the games group. They pay more for less work and have much better prospects for picking up skills and advancing into SDET positions.

I have an offer on the table for the game testing thing, and no offers from anyone else anywhere after three months of searching. The only interview I managed to land in this time was at WotC, and I was rejected.

Mind you, this is all just building savings and not starving on the streets until I can establish myself in a better way. Video games are wonderful and if I fall into a management position at GTO man that would be sweet and it's a twist of fate I could roll with, but it's never been a primary goal of mine. As it stands, I'll probably take some project management classes this year since it seems I'll be over there again.

Incenjucar on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Sheep wrote: »

Yeah, that's what I'm saying.

We flesh them out in a way they're not capable of being.

I don't know, gooey

there are some things that science just can't explain

Nerdgasmic on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    chu fleshes out his dog all right

Elendil on
    edited March 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    chu fleshes out his dog all right

i dont get it

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited March 2011
    I have to go soon so I am gonna go ahead and lock this chat a bit early.

Mazzy, make the new one. Ludious is backup.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited March 2011
    NEVER MIND

I GOT THIS

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
This discussion has been closed.