As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Stan Lee presents: [chat]

JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp.I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
edited March 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
stan-lee-asgard.jpg
Stan Lee (born Stanley Martin Lieber; December 28, 1922)[1] is an American comic book writer, editor, actor, producer, publisher, television personality, and the former president and chairman of Marvel Comics.

In collaboration with several artists, most notably Jack Kirby and Steve Ditko, he co-created Spider-Man, the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, the Avengers, Iron Man, the Hulk, Thor, Daredevil, Doctor Strange, and many other fictional characters, introducing complex, naturalistic characters[2] and a thoroughly shared universe into superhero comic books.[3] In addition, he headed the first major successful challenge to the industry's censorship organization, the Comics Code Authority, and forced it to reform its policies.[4] Lee subsequently led the expansion of Marvel Comics from a small division of a publishing house to a large multimedia corporation.

He was inducted into the comic book industry's Will Eisner Comic Book Hall of Fame in 1994 and the Jack Kirby Hall of Fame in 1995.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqijirc45vU

rRwz9.gif
Jacobkosh on

• SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    WE'LL DO IT LIVE!

Sparvy on
  • MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yay, new [chat]!

Smells plastic-y.

edit: damn I was hoping for first post :| Ah well, second is pretty awesome.

Mim on
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Excelsior!

One Thousand Cables on
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    He's the man.

Haphazard on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sorry I didn't know how long I had to wait as an alternate. I blew it.

Ludious on
  • ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This reminds me that I can't wait to see what his cameo will be in Captain America.

Assuming he has one.

This feels like a safe assumption.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Forar wrote: »
    This reminds me that I can't wait to see what his cameo will be in Captain America.

Assuming he has one.

I'd be way more surprised if he didn't.

One Thousand Cables on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Stan Lee did have a huge influence. And he did get to work with a lot of amazing artists.

Thomamelas on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Assuming he has one.

He's said he's doing one.

Captain Carrot on
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Ludious wrote: »
    Sorry I didn't know how long I had to wait as an alternate. I blew it.

nah no worries it just said your last forum activity was at 3:35 so I worried maybe you had gotten off work or something.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Organichu wrote: »
    i honestly don't know if i can ever get another dog

like, i know how meaningful a pet tumbles has been- from my preteens until today, in my mid twenties- and i wouldn't want to deprive my children of that

but the thought of raising another puppy until he or she is tumble's age, knowing i probably don't have much time left with her... ugh

I had the one dog when I was a kid, and for a good long time, and that's really all the dog I could ever want. He was goddamn amazing and hilarious, but I've never had the urge for another dog.

That said, the ladies I know tend to want to pick up rescue dogs, particularly greyhounds, so a dog may exist in my home in the future in some capacity. But it probably won't be my dog.

Incenjucar on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Assuming he has one.

I'm sure he will True Believer.

Thomamelas on
  • STATE OF THE ART ROBOTSTATE OF THE ART ROBOT Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man I wanted to say Excelsior :(

STATE OF THE ART ROBOT on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    hey [chat] folks

How you all doing? I am feeling pretty good about life but want to sleep now

Daxon on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Nope I was even looking up topics but I thought maybe I should wait 15 minutes so no big deal. I was having a creative block anyway.

Ludious on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Marvel comics chats are the best.

desc on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    edited March 2011
    No, wait. Freida Pinto chats would be the best, making marvel chats second best.

desc on
    edited March 2011
    o

* In the early days, I was writing scripts for virtually all the books, and it was very hard to keep all the artists busy; poor little frail me, doing story after story. So I'd be writing a story for Kirby, and Steve Ditko would walk in and say, 'Hey, I need some work now.' And I'd say, 'I can't give it to you now, Steve, I'm finishing Kirby's.' But we couldn't afford to keep Steve waiting, because time is money, so I'd have to say, 'Look Steve, I can't write a script for you now, but here's the plot for the next Spider-Man. Go home and draw anything you want, as long as it's something like this, and I'll put the copy in later.' So I was able to finish Jack's story. Steve in the meantime was drawing another story.....Okay, it started out as a lazy's man's device...but we realized this was absolutely the best way to do a comic.....Don't have the writer say, 'Panel one will be a long shot of Spider-Man walking down the street.' The artist may see it differently; maybe he feels it should be a shot of Spider-Man swinging on his web, or climbing upside-down on the ceiling or something.

Thomamelas on
  • PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
    edited March 2011
    Lee's newer stuff was pretty meh.

Haphazard on
  • SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My uncle has the coolest Alaskan Malamutes. Love them, big burly bastard who just love you and don't even know how to bark. A bit too much of a handful for me to ever get one since they are strong like hell and love pulling things but they are really fun to visit.

Sparvy on
    edited March 2011
    Haphazard wrote: »

I think this happens to any artist at some point. Put out enough stuff and you just kinda run out of steam. Unless you pull of Phillip K. Dick and die before you hit that point.

Thomamelas on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    o

* In the early days, I was writing scripts for virtually all the books, and it was very hard to keep all the artists busy; poor little frail me, doing story after story. So I'd be writing a story for Kirby, and Steve Ditko would walk in and say, 'Hey, I need some work now.' And I'd say, 'I can't give it to you now, Steve, I'm finishing Kirby's.' But we couldn't afford to keep Steve waiting, because time is money, so I'd have to say, 'Look Steve, I can't write a script for you now, but here's the plot for the next Spider-Man. Go home and draw anything you want, as long as it's something like this, and I'll put the copy in later.' So I was able to finish Jack's story. Steve in the meantime was drawing another story.....Okay, it started out as a lazy's man's device...but we realized this was absolutely the best way to do a comic.....Don't have the writer say, 'Panel one will be a long shot of Spider-Man walking down the street.' The artist may see it differently; maybe he feels it should be a shot of Spider-Man swinging on his web, or climbing upside-down on the ceiling or something.

Have we ever seen Spiderman walking down the street?

Captain Carrot on
  • DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pants B: that was the best show.

The best.

Daxon on
    edited March 2011
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    Stan Lee plays Hitler in the new Cap movie.

Bogart on
  • TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i have to go to work but before i do chat, i urge you all to listen to this irish lady's timeless advice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HvHbxf3Cfg&feature=related

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Someone come give me a backrub :x

Dread Pirate Arbuthnot on
    edited March 2011
    o

Have we ever seen Spiderman walking down the street?

Yes. Generally as Peter Parker. But man if I could swing from rooftops and lived in a city that worked in, it would be the only way I'd travel. It's a quirk one of my character has in Jacob's game. If he can fly, he will. Why walk when you can fly.

Thomamelas on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    My intestines feel like they have somehow contorted themselves into a Klein bottle.

Premier kakos on
    edited March 2011

I think this happens to any artist at some point. Put out enough stuff and you just kinda run out of steam. Unless you pull of Phillip K. Dick and die before you hit that point.

You are right, of course. Still, sometimes it's so sad to see. Like Byrne, for instance.

Haphazard on
    edited March 2011

That and if you are only doing material within fairly narrow parameters, I think it must be very tough to no feel like you're repeating yourself. Going outside the proverbial box helps reinvention.

desc on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    edited March 2011
    desc wrote: »

That and if you are only doing material within fairly narrow parameters, I think it must be very tough to no feel like you're repeating yourself. Going outside the proverbial box helps reinvention.

It can help but I think it happens to all artists at some point. I mean look at Coppola. Brilliant up to and including Apocalypse Now. And then after that we got The Godfather Part III and Jack.

Thomamelas on
  • MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well count me officially excited for Uncharted 3. Uncharted 2 is in my top 3 ps3/consoles I own titles now.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited March 2011
    Ah, Uncharted. That's one of those games that somehow escaped my radar.

To keep the comic themes running: I'm like a non-blind Daredevil without a radar sense and also fat.

Haphazard on
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    edited March 2011
    Ah, Uncharted. That's one of those games that somehow escaped my radar.

To keep the comic themes running: I'm like a non-blind Daredevil without a radar sense and also fat.

Also you lack a law degree. Really you sound more like the Kingpin then Daredevil.

Thomamelas on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    chicken tikka masala tonight

also that vegetable korma-ish thing. i have so much food that i am kind of worried it is gonna go bad before we get through it.

i wish i had more local friends i could invite over. i could see if our hipster buddies are available.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
This discussion has been closed.