As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Nintendo 3DS Thread: Out EVERYWHERE now! Friend Code extravaganza top of page one.

• mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just one more day, just one more day, just one more day.

mntorankusu on
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'd be buying a 3DS if I wasn't in Korea. I'll have to wait until I come home in a few months.

Taya on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

32 hours for me, if I have my math right.

yalborap on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    yalborap wrote: »

I'll be picking mine up at 9AM, so for me it's actually 28 hours and 17 minutes.

mntorankusu on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    yalborap wrote: »

I'll be picking mine up at 9AM, so for me it's actually 28 hours and 17 minutes.

Lucky. I'm in California and my store doesn't open til 11. :(

Oh well. Too close to feel the pressure now.

yalborap on
  • Ace JonAce Jon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I got it!

Resisting urge to buy Shadow Wars...

e: one thing I don't think has been mentioned. The 3DS has a much blacker black than the DS. You can see it when you run a DS game like Pokemon White: the black is not as black as it could be on those screens.

Ace Jon on
    Yours truly, Ace Jon.
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jishian wrote: »
    They should have made 3d ports of Crazy Taxi and Power Stone for launch.

Now I'm sad this doesn't exist :(

Green on
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm still waiting for them to put out a version of X-Com. I miss some good ol strategy games.

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • MurchieMurchie Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dragon6860 wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for them to put out a version of X-Com. I miss some good ol strategy games.

Given the direction the current owners of that license are taking it, Ghost Recon is the closest you might see for some time.

Then again, maybe it will be the #1 selling launch game for Ubi, and they'll give Mr. Gallop free reign to re-imagine his masterpiece.

We will get Z-Com, with classic turn based strategy, research and budgeting metagame, and fully destructible 3d terrain (ala Silent Storm, or more recently, Red Faction Guerilla). And then your game will sync across all platforms so I can suspend on my desktop/console, and pick up where I left on the go from my 3DS.

If you'll excuse me, I'll go weep now for the future that never was.

Murchie on
  • Goodfella2487Goodfella2487 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Green wrote: »
    Jishian wrote: »
    They should have made 3d ports of Crazy Taxi and Power Stone for launch.

Now I'm sad this doesn't exist :(

http://us.playstation.com/games-and-media/games/power-stone-collection-psp.html

Goodfella2487 on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gamestop text me. Aqua Blue (The Manly one) 3DS, Pilotwings, and Steel Diver I can pick up at midnight.

That's right. The Black 3DS is for boring people who don't know who to please a woman in bed. They are also pro-Gaddafi.

Algertman on
  • Ace JonAce Jon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You keep telling yourself that, lady. Your poor choice is also reflected in your choice of release titles.

Ace Jon on
    Yours truly, Ace Jon.
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am not pro-Gaddafi!
    :P

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
    edited March 2011
    I am not pro-Gaddafi!
    :P

YES YOU ARE! You're also getting Madden as your lauch title. How could you?

Algertman on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Murchie wrote: »
    Dragon6860 wrote: »

If you'll excuse me, I'll go weep now for the future that never was.

I'll join you. Let me get you a Sectoid Scotch.

Jintor on
  • NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just saw Reggie shoot Jimmy Fallon in the face. If I wasn't already buying the thing, that would have sold it.

http://www.latenightwithjimmyfallon.com/video/Nintendo-3DS-Sneak-Peek-with-Reggie-Fils-Aime-(3/25/11)/1316217

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    yay! according to amazon, my 3DS is in the mail!

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Success! Pilot Wings was fantastic for the 'OMG there's a tiny model plane in my DS!' factor.

Added my friend code to Ultimos' page (see second post of thread) and added the 4 other guys on there with codes.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
    edited March 2011
    I decided on the Aqua Blue 3DS this time because every chance I've had, I've always gotten the most "neutral" color I could, and I always regret it later.

I want an indigo Gamecube, dammit.

mntorankusu on
  • John ZoidbergJohn Zoidberg Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Success! Pilot Wings was fantastic for the 'OMG there's a tiny model plane in my DS!' factor.

Added my friend code to Ultimos' page (see second post of thread) and added the 4 other guys on there with codes.

I will add you back shortly. I played way too much Pilotwings last night. I was in work and the screen I use started to look boring without my precious 3D :(

I also can't make it into town until Monday to return Splinter Cell. Gambled and lost hard there.

John Zoidberg on
    Xbox Live: Ink Pouch / PSN: Stiff_Ninja / Origin: PAZoidberg / Steam
  • DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I present to you perhaps the greatest article on the 3DS ever created.

Dritz on
    There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dritz wrote: »

Hmmmm, Steve Jobs has apparently changed his name to Lance Ulanoff.

But he's obviously right because you can't even get a million fart apps on the DS.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • DamagemanualDamagemanual Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Been gone from the forums for a while not that my shift at work has changed.

I've got this bastard pre-ordered and can't wait to pick it up tomorrow. It's killing me not having a DS of any sort for the last few months. I'll post my FC once I pick it up.

Damagemanual on
    3DS Friend Code: 0301-9784-2762
    Pokemon White: 3353-4309-8670

(PM me if you add please)
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hate to bring people down but, I don't think the 3ds will be a successful hand-held device. My first reason is the angle you have to view it at. Even with the 2d present thanks to the slider, many might ask why play a 2d game when the device features 3d playing as an upgrade. I'm expecting the device to have you place your arms in one position for a long period of time, causing you to hurt from extended 3d play.

Also, with 3d as opposed to 2d, many people who have made reviews have stated that the 3ds gives headaches after spending significant time playing in 3d mode. This actually happened with the virtuaboy, which ironically was the first 3d console ever made.

My expectations are not of trying the device, but of reading the reviews that are out now.

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
  • ChenChen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The majority of people don't play handheld games for hours. From what I've read so far from average joe who bought the device, they are mostly positive and some are even glowing.

Chen on
    V0Gug2h.png
    edited March 2011
    Roe wrote: »
    Also, with 3d as opposed to 2d, many people who have made reviews have stated that the 3ds gives headaches after spending significant time playing in 3d mode. This actually happened with the virtuaboy, which ironically was the first 3d console ever made.

How is it ironic?

3D can strain your eyes if you're not used to it, and that can cause headaches. It has nothing to do with the 3DS or the Virtual Boy, everything 3D has the same effect.

mntorankusu on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I played the 3DS in 3D mode for two hours yesterday with no headaches. The only issue i had was trying to use the computer right afterwards which ratcheted up the strain, so I took a break from looking at any screens for like 5 minutes or so and then was fine.

Opty on
  • GhostKidGhostKid Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Even without the 3d effects you've simply got a more powerful handheld with Nintendo's name on it. I can't imagine it not doing well.

GhostKid on
    edited March 2011
    I hate to bring people down but, I don't think the 3ds will be a successful hand-held device. My first reason is the angle you have to view it at. Even with the 2d present thanks to the slider, many might ask why play a 2d game when the device features 3d playing as an upgrade. I'm expecting the device to have you place your arms in one position for a long period of time, causing you to hurt from extended 3d play.

My expectations are not of trying the device, but of reading the reviews that are out now.

This will be the year of the PSPGo.

Algertman on
  • NackmatholnNackmatholn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Algertman wrote: »

This will be the year of the PSPGo.

Speaking of the PSP, I finally got my PSP 1000 off the shelf for the first time in 1 and 1/2 years. It was the perfect length to get my cell phone out from behind my bed. I'm sure glad I held onto that thing!

Nackmatholn on
    camo_sig2.png PSN - Nackmatholn
  • NorfairNorfair Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    American (and maybe Canadian) PAers who preordered a 3DS from Amazon should check their orders, because Amazon has already started shipping them out. I was billed last night and they just shipped it out about half an hour ago. :D Funnily enough, Street Fighter is still listed as "shipping soon," but that's not a big deal.

This means that systems might start arriving on Monday, instead of Tuesday, for people with one- and two-day shipping options (like me). Woot!

Also, I guess I'm going to be the guinea pig for Rayman 3D. I had a $30 gift certificate from Best Buy and decided to grab Rayman; I'm pretty sure that if the port is even remotely competent (unlike Rayman DS), a 3D port of a really great game is worth the $10 I spent on it, and if it sucks, I'm sure I can get at least $10 back for it.

Norfair on
  • Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

But he's obviously right because you can't even get a million fart apps on the DS.

Haha, I know it's just an internet poll but 59% for the 3DS vs 9% for "sticking with my phone."

Lord_Mordja on
  • iMattiMatt Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tescos (UK) doing the 3DS for £175 if you buy a game! That was good enough for me! Unboxing once the kids have gone to bed!

iMatt on
  • MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I caved. A black 3DS is on it's way this week along with a copy of Ghost Recon. Only 204 pounds on amazon!

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Mii-from-a-photo thing is hilariously terrible but provides much entertainment.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

If I had kids, I would have to prohibit my children from falling for the trap of 99-cent games. Not because they are intrinsically bad, but because of my own fond memories of playing Gameboy games. Could you honestly say you would willingly deny your child the experience of something like Link's Awakening just because you were too damn cheap to spring for the good stuff instead of things priced to be played for five minutes to achieve full mastery of the game?

Ninja Snarl P on
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

If I had kids, I would have to prohibit my children from falling for the trap of 99-cent games. Not because they are intrinsically bad, but because of my own fond memories of playing Gameboy games. Could you honestly say you would willingly deny your child the experience of something like Link's Awakening just because you were too damn cheap to spring for the good stuff instead of things priced to be played for five minutes to achieve full mastery of the game?

I want to know how the 3DS marks the resurrection of Nintendo's portable gaming. Are they not aware that the DS sold a hojillion butillion times?

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh man, I'm so excited. I'm gonna try to get to bed early tonight so that tomorrow comes sooner. It's like Chirstmas!

SirUltimos on
  • Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Heh, I find that article hilarous. You can tell he was totally expecting everyone to vote "Oh yes, iPod touch or Smartphone for me!" And then 3DS is at 54%. Gonna be funny to see his reply, I'm betting, "Well hype is high now, but just wait till later."

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Norfair wrote: »
    American (and maybe Canadian) PAers who preordered a 3DS from Amazon should check their orders, because Amazon has already started shipping them out. I was billed last night and they just shipped it out about half an hour ago. :D Funnily enough, Street Fighter is still listed as "shipping soon," but that's not a big deal.

Hm, mine hasn't shipped yet. I gave them an extra $4 for one-day shipping, so hopefully they'll manage to ship it out today.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
This discussion has been closed.