As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age Thread - Own DA2? Want a free copy of Mass Effect 2 on PC? Check the OP!

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Magic cutscene knife kills everything in one blow.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »

But it doesn't! That scene is proof!!

ZarathustraEck on
    See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

I'm waiting for the mod that adds the weapon in with some hideous base damage.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I like about Dragon Age 2
    that the game systematically kills off of your whole family. So much for finding your luck in the big city. Oh and in the end, all your effort for making it big was in vain because you have to leave Kirkwall anyway.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I like about Dragon Age 2
    that the game systematically kills off of your whole family. So much for finding your luck in the big city.

Eh, if you play it right you make it out with one.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've sorted out why I dislike the new combat mechanics. It's way, way too easy to just walk away from damage.

Pause, backstep from anything truly dangerous, continue autoattacking, spam CC when necessary.

Effective, easy, sometimes super tedious.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Meh. I actually like being able to move around myself, especially after all that shuffling in DA1.

Honestly, it annoyed me when I would be out of the hit range of a move and still get hit by it post-animation..

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I agree Dragon Age felt a bit too much like walking in molasses and that getting hit by a sword swing 30 feet away was stupid.

This just feels too far to the other extreme to me.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    skyybahamutskyybahamut Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anyone getting the bonus items for playing on Facebook?

skyybahamut on
    This signature is for SCIENCE!
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

I think so. I sure get notified of them when I load up.

I think they are in a box in your house maybe? I'm away from my PC.

EDIT: Forgot about bootcamp on my MBP, and the fact that DA2 doesn't require the disc to play. So, yes, there is a 'Special Deliveries' chest in your house.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Yeah, I think I have all the facebook unlockables.

None of them are really GOOD, per se, but they provide a nice little pickmeup right at the beginning.

I just wish the facebook game wasn't so irritating to play.

Then again, after the signature edition items, the free black emporium stuff, all the bonus items from being on the bioware website, following them on twitter, etc. etc. It just feels like white noise.

Taramoor on
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hm, annoying little bug I caught on this playthrough.

I can't get the head piece that goes to my Champion's Armor because someone decided not to leave a corpse for me to loot.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    kedinik wrote: »
    I've sorted out why I dislike the new combat mechanics. It's way, way too easy to just walk away from damage.

Pause, backstep from anything truly dangerous, continue autoattacking, spam CC when necessary.

Effective, easy, sometimes super tedious.

As much as I like the combat, I have to agree with this a bit.

What most baddies seem to be missing is some way to either attack at range or close the distance and garrantee (or at least vastly improve thier chances of getting) a hit, like how you and all your companions can charge/leap in with melee attacks.

Not thinking everyone should get it all the time though; mooks should still be mooks, and some enemies (Rock Wraith comes to mind) are challenging enough without more tricks. Maybe an extra ability with a cooldown, given out based on enemy rank and the difficulty?

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just noticed that Petrice and Elthina's outfits are colored differently.

How cool is that?

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    JungleskyeJungleskye Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have beaten the game. Now where is Dragon Age 3 so I can actually see what happens!

Jungleskye on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've gone through the game twice so far, once as SnarkRogue(tm) and once as a blood-thirsty blood mage (who used her companions as walking slurpees), and now I'm going through as a goody-twoshoes warrior. Only since I've done the game "for realz" twice now, this time I went and installed that mod that gives all skills a 1 second cooldown.

You know the Berserker's skill that does +50% attack speed? It stacks. With the upgrade it lasts 20 seconds. Pop it a couple times, and Hawke buzzes so fast attack animations don't even really complete, it's just sort of a whirling spasm of death.

Rock Wraith? 15 seconds.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    PWN_JuiCe_SuCKaPWN_JuiCe_SuCKa Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Does anyone know the year in Dragon Age? I don´t know if they go by earth´s 365 day year but assuming they do and an age is 100 years and the blight of DAO started in 9:30 age of the dragon (i think I read that is when it happened) does that mean by the end of DA2 it is around year 937?(of recorded history at least) or am I way off base here??

Also possible spoilers:
    I found all the enigma of kirkwall´s this time and I am a bit confused. Does DA2 ever reveal just why all these slaves were being sacrificed and all this blood drained down underneath the city?

PWN_JuiCe_SuCKa on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Because tvinter was fun like that.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dartboy wrote: »
    I've gone through the game twice so far, once as SnarkRogue(tm) and once as a blood-thirsty blood mage (who used her companions as walking slurpees), and now I'm going through as a goody-twoshoes warrior. Only since I've done the game "for realz" twice now, this time I went and installed that mod that gives all skills a 1 second cooldown.

You know the Berserker's skill that does +50% attack speed? It stacks. With the upgrade it lasts 20 seconds. Pop it a couple times, and Hawke buzzes so fast attack animations don't even really complete, it's just sort of a whirling spasm of death.

Rock Wraith? 15 seconds.

I tried that mod and thought it was retarded. After one fight I deleted it and switched to a mod that reduced all the cooldowns by 30-40% or so. Much better.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I just completed my Mage Hawke run:
    The ending felt a little lackluster. So everyone dies. I was hoping Meredith would turn into something else, like Orsino, but Carver and Fenris made it too easy. 2H warriors really rule.

Time for a Rogue Hawke run!

Wolfprint on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It feels kind of funny taking a pile of apostates and doing quests for templars

override367 on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Does anyone know the year in Dragon Age? I don´t know if they go by earth´s 365 day year but assuming they do and an age is 100 years and the blight of DAO started in 9:30 age of the dragon (i think I read that is when it happened) does that mean by the end of DA2 it is around year 937?(of recorded history at least) or am I way off base here??

DAO and DA2 start in 9:30 Dragon. The actual gameplay events of DA2 end in 9:37 Dragon and Varric is being interrogated by Cassandra in 9:40 Dragon.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    spencermmspencermm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So, I'm having an ongoing discussion with my friend about this.
    At the end of the game, Varric mentions to Cassandra that the Templar Order has rebelled against the Chantry, and gone off hunting mages.
    Does this makes sense? I'm of the opinion that it makes perfect sense, but my buddy insists it's nonsense.

Thoughts?

spencermm on
  • Options
    AuberonAuberon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    spencermm wrote: »
    So, I'm having an ongoing discussion with my friend about this.
    At the end of the game, Varric mentions to Cassandra that the Templar Order has rebelled against the Chantry, and gone off hunting mages.
    Does this makes sense? I'm of the opinion that it makes perfect sense, but my buddy insists it's nonsense.

Thoughts?
    It's not obviously nonsense. In Kirkwall at least, the Chantry is shown as a moderating influence on the Templars, and the very existence of Cassandra's order suggests the need for the Templars to be kept in check. I don't think we're told enough about the numbers of mages and templars, the effectiveness of templars at combating mages or the amount of discontent between mages and templars outside Ferelden and Kirkwall to make any comments on the likelihood, however.

Auberon on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I loved my force mage, and I miss directing the shape of a battle with her skills on my rogue and warrior, but I have to say, the fact that virtually none of my skills worked on spirits demons was utter nonsense. Gravitic Ring was the only one that actually functioned. Telekenitic Burst, Pull of the Abyss, the knockdown from Fist of the Maker: nuthin'. That's a pretty heavy investment to be able to do anything to half the enemies in the game.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Beat the game yesterday, and while the ending was a bit disappointing, what really annoyed me was the amount of bugs in this game. It's something that has been chipping away at my patience with modern games, the way they ship a bugged product out and will fix it a month or two later. Just, you know, get the game fixed the first time.

This is vague but I'll spoil it just in case, the list of bugs that occurred on my first playthrough
    The Sebastian achievements didn't unlock, Varric's face completely disappeared in the end which was so distracting I couldn't pay attention to what he was saying (mainly because I was all "how did this get through QC?), during the final fight at the Gallows there was a bug where Sandal was supposed to be there but I never saw him (I was walking around and saw his name highlight but couldn't see him, right where that big Ogre is in the hallway) along with his enchantment and storage box, there was that Isabela slow bug that I got hit with, the well known Merrill Act 3 bug, someone mentioned the Isabela bug earlier about not getting into the chantry to recruit her (happened to me), there is that Wounded Coast sidequest in Act 3 that just won't trigger with the kid being kidnapped, and at the very end it says Isabela stays with me despite me romancing Merrill.

That's like, six bugs too many.

As far as the ending goes, I liked it, sided with the
    Templars the first run through because DIE ANDERS, that guy is going to be killed no matter what side I pick in the next run through, the son of a bitch. I never liked him really in DA2 and this will always stay with me now.

And while at first everyone's upset about me siding with the templars (Merrill and Bethany), I like as it goes on you see the mages aren't so nice after all (they probably do the same thing if you side with the mages) and that prick Orsino actually knew the bastard who killed my mom , oh yes, shit just got real.

I didn't have Varric on my final battle run through, might do that again later to see his reaction to the lyrium idol

But yeah the ending felt way too short. If this is going to be a trilogy like Mass Effect, ME2 still had a pretty badass way to end the game, this felt more like "oh hey none of what you did really mattered"

Also, where did Flemeth go? I was expecting it to all be her fault, the civil war.

I didn't mind the game taking place all around Kirkwall and the repetitive dungeons because the combat system and the characters carried the game, and the story until the last two minutes was fun and I liked having to actually make some tough choices, I just wish there weren't so many bugs in the game.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Isabela: The difference between a courtesan and a whore is... well, their shoes are nicer.
    Aveline: I think your shoes are just fine.

oh-snap-chart-.jpg

Elendil on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's a fact that the "oh snap" flowchart is second only to the Zangief flowchart.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    spencermmspencermm Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Auberon wrote: »
    It's not obviously nonsense. In Kirkwall at least, the Chantry is shown as a moderating influence on the Templars, and the very existence of Cassandra's order suggests the need for the Templars to be kept in check. I don't think we're told enough about the numbers of mages and templars, the effectiveness of templars at combating mages or the amount of discontent between mages and templars outside Ferelden and Kirkwall to make any comments on the likelihood, however.
    My feeling is this: the Templars outside Kirkwall weren't there, obviously. So they didn't see Meredith start out crazy and get crazier, and didn't see her pretty much force the mages into rebellion. All they have is rumor and stories to go on. All they heard, probably, was that the mages of Kirkwall rebelled, a revolt that started with the destruction of the chantry and murder of the Grand Cleric, and ended with the killing of the Knight-Commander. They already are predisposed to hate, fear, and distrust mages. They're not going to be keen on peaceful resolution now.

Obviously, if the Order had to split from the Chantry to fight the rebel mages, the Divine told them they couldn't. And we know that Leliana was in Kirkwall acting as a Seeker prior to the destruction of the chantry. She clearly wasn't there just to talk to Hawke and Grand Cleric Elthina, and she probably wasn't the only Seeker there. It stands to reason that the Divine knew that the situation was more complicated than uppity mages who needed to be put down, and thus denied the Templars permission to, essentially, carry out a Thedas-wide Rite of Annulment.

I think it's also important to remember that the Templar Order didn't start out as part of the Chantry, but as an independent violent and brutal Inquisition that sought to root out everything it saw as heresy. They were later grafted onto the Chantry proper to calm them down. So institutionally, the Order has a history and a mindset of seeing itself as the true arbiters of holiness, even in defiance of the established Chantry.

Also, I think about this too much.

spencermm on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I loved my force mage, and I miss directing the shape of a battle with her skills on my rogue and warrior, but I have to say, the fact that virtually none of my skills worked on spirits demons was utter nonsense. Gravitic Ring was the only one that actually functioned. Telekenitic Burst, Pull of the Abyss, the knockdown from Fist of the Maker: nuthin'. That's a pretty heavy investment to be able to do anything to half the enemies in the game.

Yeah, I don't know if this was a bug or whatever, but damn was it annoying.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I gotta say, that's something I miss about the silly over-complexity of D&D-based settings.

You can have a lot of variation in terms of statistics and abilities to make a given person or group unique.

The enemies in this are pretty much one of three classes, then varying levels of health. Even the goddamn spiders conform to class restrictions. I guess that has to save an incredible amount of time, though.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I really wish I didnt have to play with Anders, but if you play on hard and you are not a mage you've got to have the healing. Dammit Merril why couldn't you have the heal tree!

Valiantheart on
    PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There are mods to allow any character, including yourself, to access all the trees from their class including the companion only ones. I downloaded it just for Aveline's tank tree on my Hawke.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well just beat Dragon Age 2 this morning and got my Platinum trophy. Gotta say, it's rather satisfying to get that nice little platinum trophy for both DA:O and DA2.

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    edited March 2011

It would be such an enormous bug, I just assumed it was intentional. But maybe. I would really like to hear the purpose of the design decision if it was intentional.

GoodKingJayIII on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I really wish I didnt have to play with Anders, but if you play on hard and you are not a mage you've got to have the healing. Dammit Merril why couldn't you have the heal tree!

i've played through hard twice now, without a healer. you don't need one unless you're horrible.

according to that flow chart i'm supposed to add a "oh snap!" now, right? ;)

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    edited March 2011

It would be such an enormous bug, I just assumed it was intentional. But maybe. I would really like to hear the purpose of the design decision if it was intentional.

Yeah...I mean...are fade spirits resistant to force? I never did take the time to check when I was playing with my two-hander.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Yeah...I mean...are fade spirits resistant to force? I never did take the time to check when I was playing with my two-hander.

if spirits are immune to "force" then they're immune to kinetics and therefore immune to swords and other sharp objects. assume a bug! or, you know, that they're really really heavy. this isn't exactly cow tipping.

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    PriestPriest Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm having the hardest time in the world even starting a Mage Hawke. Mostly because I have an undying, considerably large hatred for Carver. Moreover, considering the plot-line of the game, if I
    Side with the mages

Then there's essentially no way that my Hawke can seem unbiased. Plus. Champion wearing a dress say what?

Priest on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I mean physical/elemental force

You know...the actual in-game stat.

Dragkonias on
This discussion has been closed.